HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:57 am

Perhaps it's just me being more optimistic than I should be, but I have a gut feeling that this team found it's groove against the Falcons. Here's my reasons as to why:

1. Pass Rush - Butler finally let our pass rushers pin their ears back and go after the quarterback. They put a ton of pressure on Matt Ryan, and while they never forced him into tossing an INT the pressure was getting to him, and at the end of the game a sack/fumble recovery for a touchdown in the endzone sealed the deal. TJ Watt needs to be rushing the QB more often. In the two games where he saw the most snaps going after the QB he has 6 sacks, tied for the league lead with his brother JJ. In the games where he was spending most of his time in coverage, no sacks. This defense thrives off a successful pass rush, and falls apart without it.

2. Coverage - The coverage looks to have improved. I saw less missed tackles, and outside of the one touchdown to Sanu the coverage was pretty tight overall. Joe Haden practically erased Julio Jones until it was garbage time and the Falcons' chances were all but gone. Calvin Ridley was also a non-factor. This was one of the highest flying offenses in the NFL with a receiving corps most teams dream about having. We held them to only 17 points, that's impressive. Terrell Edmunds played probably the best game of his young career. Having Mike Hilton back was a boost as well. If the secondary can put it together now, then our defense will be that much better for it.

3. Running Game - We actually had a running game. The offensive line looks to be healthier after some bumps and bruises over the past few games. They looked more like the offensive line from Week 1 that was opening up running lanes for James Conner. Conner was a stud. Looked great running the ball, ran with authority, and punished defenders. The Falcons defense wanted nothing to do with him. He was also very reliable in the passing game which is the area Conner has most improved his overall game. If we can keep that kind of running game going, and the defense doesn't put us in a hole to start off with, then we can limit opposing offense's opportunities with the football and control time of possession.

That's my three biggest reasons this team looks to have improved. Yes we were playing the Falcons porous defense, which definitely helped us offensively, but the defense held Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, etc... to just 17 points. They deserve some credit for that. In the games leading up to the Steelers game the Falcons scored 31, 37, and 36 points respectively. It's not as if they've played weak competition either. The Falcons were able to score against the Bengals, and we should be able to as well.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:49 am

One game does not make a playoff caliber team. However, I was impressed with what I was seeing.

The question remains, can the team put their individualistic ideals aside and continue to gel going in to this week?

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:20 pm

I think one game shows they are able to do it it's just a matter of continuing. It was a very good defensive effort against a top QB and offense for sure. Steelers have had a lot of seasons where they start slow and gain steam as the year goes on. It was almost the standard under Cowher. Hopefully last week was the start of a turn around.

PostSubject: Re: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
One game does not make a playoff caliber team.  However, I was impressed with what I was seeing.

The question remains, can the team put their individualistic ideals aside and continue to gel going in to this week?

Definitely not suggesting we're playoff caliber, especially off of one game. Where they are sitting right now, they need to start stringing together some wins if they even want to have a hope of making the playoffs, or winning the division for that matter.

I just think we finally saw some solid improvement, particularly on defense, and it was noteworthy to me because the Falcons have been able to score at will on all of the other teams they've played this season.

That being said, they have to keep it up. Can't play one game, and then disappear the next.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:20 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
One game does not make a playoff caliber team.  However, I was impressed with what I was seeing.

Definitely not suggesting we're playoff caliber, especially off of one game. Where they are sitting right now, they need to start stringing together some wins if they even want to have a hope of making the playoffs, or winning the division for that matter.

I just think we finally saw some solid improvement, particularly on defense, and it was noteworthy to me because the Falcons have been able to score at will on all of the other teams they've played this season.

That being said, they have to keep it up. Can't play one game, and then disappear the next.

I agree, we saw some solid improvement all around.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 am

maybe they can play 2 good games in a row? next test can the Steelers play a good game against a sub .500 team.

PostSubject: Re: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 am

I will be a lot more optimistic about this team if they can sting 2 or 3 wins together. If you win 2, and then lose 2, you are still a .500 club.
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:05 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
maybe they can play 2 good games in a row?  next test can the Steelers play a good game against a sub .500 team.

Right on! I am less concerned about this week's Bengals game (because they have a good record), than the next crappy team we play.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:48 am

I got to watch the replay yesterday and this was one of the best games we played for long time. If we beat the Bengals in their house by playing solid all around again my optimism will be back but I also agree we need to start beating the teams we should like Cleveland.

I'd like to see Haden shadow A.J. Green. It worked well against Jones last week and I don't see why it wouldn't this week. I'd like to see Fort in place of Bostic because he's faster and better against the run. I'd also like to see Chickilo spelling Dupree more because while I don't think he's an every down LBer he is disruptive when he's in. They need to plan for T.J. to get after Dalton. Dalton is more mobile than Ryan and he rolls right more than left. That's why in passing situations I think Chickilo would be more effective than Dupree.

I don't look for AB to have that break out game this week. William Jackson will probably follow him around and last time we played them Jones was out and Jackson had a good game covering AB.Then again Jackson is agressive and we could see some PI calls against him which could be big for us. Look for JU JU and McDonald to have room to roam.

Final score Steelers 31 Bengals 28.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...   

Back to top Go down

Here's why I think the Steelers have improved...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: