HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Fri 19 Oct 2018 - 12:14

At 28-years-old, Patrick Peterson is one of the best in the league at his position. A shutdown cornerback who is still in the prime of his career and playing at a very high level. Arizona’s woes are not of his making, but he is an expensive luxury for a team far away from competing for a championship anytime soon and cutting him loose might make good financial sense for them.

However, for a team like Pittsburgh, Peterson could be the missing piece in the secondary. Having struggled to get consistent play from whoever they have lined up on the other side of the field to Joe Haden, adding a talent like the Cardinals cornerback would be a massive upgrade. Artie Burns regression continues unabated in 2018 and there can be little question that Coty Sensabaugh is far from the answer either.

With more than $8.2 million in salary cap space currently on the books according to the NFLPA public report, the Steelers could easily afford to take on the remainder of Peterson’s deal. The two years remaining on his contract are also equally serviceable and very much in line with what Haden will earn next year.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/15/17976904/if-cardinals-cb-patrick-peterson-is-available-via-trade-the-steelers-should-be-calling-nfl-news

for the Steelers 2nd round pick this year and a late round pick in next years draft and throw in former 1st round pick Artie Burns. won't happen but it looks good on paper the Steelers with 2 shut down CBs.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Fri 19 Oct 2018 - 14:21

@effyou515 wrote:
At 28-years-old, Patrick Peterson is one of the best in the league at his position. A shutdown cornerback who is still in the prime of his career and playing at a very high level. Arizona’s woes are not of his making, but he is an expensive luxury for a team far away from competing for a championship anytime soon and cutting him loose might make good financial sense for them.

However, for a team like Pittsburgh, Peterson could be the missing piece in the secondary. Having struggled to get consistent play from whoever they have lined up on the other side of the field to Joe Haden, adding a talent like the Cardinals cornerback would be a massive upgrade. Artie Burns regression continues unabated in 2018 and there can be little question that Coty Sensabaugh is far from the answer either.

With more than $8.2 million in salary cap space currently on the books according to the NFLPA public report, the Steelers could easily afford to take on the remainder of Peterson’s deal. The two years remaining on his contract are also equally serviceable and very much in line with what Haden will earn next year.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/15/17976904/if-cardinals-cb-patrick-peterson-is-available-via-trade-the-steelers-should-be-calling-nfl-news

for the Steelers 2nd round pick this year and a late round pick in next years draft and throw in former 1st round pick Artie Burns. won't happen but it looks good on paper the Steelers with 2 shut down CBs.

First they already said he's not up for trade. We can dream though. At this point I can't see anyone wanting Burns. Bell (if he'd sign the tag) maybe.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Fri 19 Oct 2018 - 16:53

@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

First they already said he's not up for trade. We can dream though. At this point I can't see anyone wanting Burns. Bell (if he'd sign the tag) maybe.

the Cardinals have a 26 year old ILBer that is a ILBer / Safety Deone Bucannon that would be a free agent after this year
I would like the Steelers look at this off season. imo in todays NFL you can't have to many good CB, S. Burnett can't help out much if he's sidelined all the time.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Sat 20 Oct 2018 - 1:25

Patrick Peterson is a pipedream. I wish we could make that happen, but I don't feel like the Cardinals are even in the ballpark of thinking about trading him. We'd probably have to offer them a King's Ransom in order for them to consider trading him off. Although I think he'd be a huge upgrade for us, it's just not going to happen. The Steelers just don't make those kinds of blockbuster trades.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Sat 20 Oct 2018 - 8:20

The Cardinals GM announced that Peterson is not available. However, rumors do persist.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-president-michael-bidwell-downplays-patrick-peterson-trade-rumors-not-happening/
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Mon 22 Oct 2018 - 15:46

Schefter: Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson has requested a trade

Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Peterson  has requested a trade ahead of next week's deadline and "desperately" wants out of Arizona according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Per Schefter, the Cardinals "continue to insist" Peterson will not be dealt but the possibility exists on an obviously rebuilding team in the midst of a terrible season.  The Cardinals' overwhelmed new coaching staff has foolishly stopped using Peterson to shadow opposing No. 1 wideouts, while things have gone all the way off the rails on offense.

http://www.theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/73041/Schefter--Cardinals-CB-Patrick-Peterson-has-requested-a-trade

Art II talks not trading Bell, could it be a smoke screen?

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Mon 22 Oct 2018 - 19:27

Heard one the radio today: Bryant McFadden is Patrick Peterson's cousin. McFadden is telling "sources" that Peterson has no interest in coming to the Steelers. He wants to go to one of two teams: Saints or Patriots**.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 1:42

@jak341 wrote:
Heard one the radio today: Bryant McFadden is Patrick Peterson's cousin. McFadden is telling "sources" that Peterson has no interest in coming to the Steelers. He wants to go to one of two teams: Saints or Patriots***.

Back to top Go down
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 1:49

I don't want someone who abandons his team when things are going poorly. That's not a team player.

I hope we don't even try to trade for him.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 1:54

@nine vegetable wrote:
I don't want someone who abandons his team when things are going poorly.  That's not a team player.

I hope we don't even try to trade for him.

I don't think he's abandoning his team, it'd be one thing if this was a one year thing, the Cardinals have been a middling team for quite some time now. Peterson has been through a lot with the Cardinals, and played his ass off for them. I think he's earned a trade if that's what he truly wants.

That being said, anyone that wants to go to the Patriots* to try and ride on Tom Brady's coattails is...

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 4:11

I say if he doesn't want to play here we won't make him. I'd love to see someone playing opposite Haden with his talent.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 5:44

@solardave wrote:
I say if he doesn't want to play here we won't make him. I'd love to see someone playing opposite Haden with his talent.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a corner opposite of Haden that could cover? You know, instead of watching Artie Burns get burnt to a crisp two or three times a game for easy big plays, and touchdowns.

Patrick Peterson aside, Colbert better be looking at upgrading the position via the draft or free agency come the offseason. Not sure who will be available as free agents to be honest, but if it comes to the draft then they need to go up and get one of the best corners in the draft. No more drafting journeyman prospects way earlier than they were projected. It has been far, far too long since we drafted a reliable corner. It's been bust after bust, project after failed project. I'm sick of it.

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 8:07

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a corner opposite of Haden that could cover? You know, instead of watching Artie Burns get burnt to a crisp two or three times a game for easy big plays, and touchdowns.

Patrick Peterson aside, Colbert better be looking at upgrading the position via the draft or free agency come the offseason. Not sure who will be available as free agents to be honest, but if it comes to the draft then they need to go up and get one of the best corners in the draft. No more drafting journeyman prospects way earlier than they were projected. It has been far, far too long since we drafted a reliable corner. It's been bust after bust, project after failed project. I'm sick of it.

At this point here I'm hoping we can get something out of Bell by placing the non-exclusive on him. That way we have cap space to look for a FA CB that can cover. Thing is all the ones I've seen are either past their prime or ones I've never heard of. We really need to draft LBs early on but we may have to trade up to get a good CB. Which ever way we go it absolutely has to be a player equal to the round picked and no stretch like Burns was. I don't know if any of this makes sense.
My question is if we could unload Bell could we still get a #1 for him in next year's draft? If we could we could use it to trade up and get the guy we really want.
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 11:23

I think it'll be a moot point. He's not going to sign until after Oct 30 so the Steelers can't trade him.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 12:38

@nine vegetable wrote:
I think it'll be a moot point.  He's not going to sign until after Oct 30 so the Steelers can't trade him.

You're right. I'm thinking he won't show up at all and they can tag him but if he shows up before week 10 he's a UFA next year. Am I right? Him showing up would make it a moot point. He's not stupid so I see him back before his deadline. If I were Tomlin I wouldn't even let him dress for the remainder of the games so he has no recent game film to show future bidders. I know it won't matter. Someone will throw a boatload at him and regret it a year later.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 16:30

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

FA CB's after the season: Eric Rowe (NE), Bradley Roby (DEN), Morris Claiborne (NYJ), Rashaan Melvin (OAK), Jason Verrett (LAC) and Ronald Darby (PHI). All good players, but not great ones.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Tue 23 Oct 2018 - 20:10

take a look at the CBs on crappy defenses first I say.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Wed 24 Oct 2018 - 4:12

@effyou515 wrote:

Do you mean guys like Burns, Sensabaugh or do you mean guys who don't contribute heavily to their crappy defense?
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Wed 24 Oct 2018 - 4:48

@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

Do you mean guys like Burns, Sensabaugh or do you mean guys who don't contribute heavily to their crappy defense?

like what Tomlin and Colbert do, no if the Steelers are going to spend good money on one of the free agent CBs this off season is a CB this good or because the players around him makes him look good.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   Thu 25 Oct 2018 - 10:49

I've heard rumors of Conley or Jenkins, but now that isn't looking too solid:

DEPOT

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?   

Back to top Go down

Steelers trade for cardinals Patrick Peterson?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: