HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:06 am

Well, the schedule makers didn't do us any favors by scheduling the ratbirds and the panthers back to back.

And since living in the Tampa market I got to see the Panthers at work yesterday. Here's my take on their team:

1. Offensively they can be a jaggernaut. Cam is a mobile QB who can put the ball on a dime. Yesterday he connected on several passes which should have been knocked down at the least. He's got great vision and is able to locate the open man. The running isn't a joke either. McCaffery is a beast and can punish defenders.

2. Defensively I don't think they're as strong as they use to be. Fitzpatrick was able to connect downfield at times (some he overthrew, others he underthrew) and he was able to connect on some quick slants. The Bucs were never able to really run the ball but I believe that was a matter of their O-line not being able to create the holes.

Looking at the matchups, I feel good that our O-line will be able to create some holes for Conner. This will hopefully open up the passing game and the Steelers offense will be able to keep the Panthers defense on their heels all day long.
Defensively, the Steelers front 7 have a task before them. Between Cam and McCaffery they'll need to hold their lanes and ensure a solid tackle at the LOS. In the secondary, they'll need to beware of the double moves. The Panthers WRs were able to get by the Bucs secondary with double moves making the majority of Cams passes easy targets like playing catch in the back yard.

Although this game scares me, I believe the Steelers, at home, in prime time get the job done!
Steelers 30 Panthers 24

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:24 pm

the Panther offense is tuff but I think the Steelers defense keeps them to field goals, the Steelers offense should get a few deep balls in this game and still keep running game going. as long as the Steelers don't start stopping themselves should be another tight win.

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:01 pm

It's a shame that this is a Thursday night game and not a Sunday game. Then it would've been a great game between two teams on a roll. Now both teams will be unprepared because of the short week. As always Thursday night weeks will be difficult to predict and it often comes down to who starts the game the best as teams don't have the same mental toughness to fight back into a game that they usually have.
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:38 pm

The smartest thing the Steelers did in the Ravens game is converting on 3rd downs. Teams have a system for converting - set plays based on distance. Steelers really have made a jump in this area. Result - more ball control, wearing out the other teams defense, and keeping the other team's offense off the field. If you watched the Packers/Patriots* game, you may have observed what a mess the Packers' 3rd down plan was. They'd be better off just letting Rodgers call the plays because I guarantee most of those long drop backs on 3rd and 1 weren't his idea.

Other big improvement is the Red Zone Offense - possibly #1 in touchdown efficiency in the NFL? If not, they have to be top 3. I think that is a direct result of Mr. James Conner.

I expect these two trends to continue on Thursday, which is why I don't think Carolina's offense will matter as much - and I think the Steelers will win.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm

@nine vegetable wrote:
The smartest thing the Steelers did in the Ravens game  is converting on 3rd downs.  Teams have a system for converting - set plays based on distance.  Steelers really have made a jump in this area.  Result - more ball control, wearing out the other teams defense, and keeping the other team's offense off the field.  If you watched the Packers/Patriots** game, you may have observed what a mess the Packers' 3rd down plan was.  They'd be better off just letting Rodgers call the plays because I guarantee most of those long drop backs on 3rd and 1 weren't his idea.

Other big improvement is the Red Zone Offense - possibly #1 in touchdown efficiency in the NFL?  If not, they have to be top 3.  I think that is a direct result of Mr. James Conner.

I expect these two trends to continue on Thursday, which is why I don't think Carolina's offense will matter as much - and I think the Steelers will win.

I agree with this that they need to play it like they did Ravens yesterday and possess the ball as long as they can during the game (yesterday it was something like 36 to 24 minutes). I've been noticing that I feel a lot more confident when 3rd/4th and 1-2 yards to go than I did last year. Conner has done a nice job converting those. I'm also glad they're using a QB sneak when they get down to the goaline.

I think this is a tough game but one the Steelers can win. I feel a little better about the outcome considering it's a home game in prime time.

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:15 am

We let the Ravens come in and push us around but we were a different team then. I think this game will be a shoot out and I expect to be biting my nails all game long.

You can't say that if we contain McCaffery you make Cam beat us because he has few weaknesses in his game. The best we can do is tackle/cover McCaffery ad keep pressure on Cam while keeping him from finding a running lane. Gap integrity, sure tackling and tight coverage.

We need to get Connor going early and often. I really think he will be a key so the O line needs to control the LOS. I hope Washington is in there again. Right now our only other choice is Switzer or Hunter and neither one of them scares anyone.

Run the ball well to open up the passing game. Old school.

Tackle the runner on the way to the QB.

Steelers- 27

Panthers- 21
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Key to victory... Keep Morgan Burnett and Artie Burns off of the field.

Also, I wouldn't mind if Gilbert was out again.

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 am

@Lokki wrote:
Key to victory... Keep Morgan Burnett and Artie Burns off of the field.

Also, I wouldn't mind if Gilbert was out again.

Looks like you're going to get your wish about Gilbert. As for "Burned" and "Burnt" that remains to be seen.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Steelers been winning when the defense keeps opposing offenses between the 20s, so first step, keep Cam and company out the redzone, second step, Steelers offense play keep away keeping those long scoring drives going from the Ravens game. but if AB, JUJU or another receiver starts getting behind the panthers defense take it take it all game.

Steelers 33
Panthers 20

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:04 am

Need to control the ball. Running game will be key here. Win the time of possession battle and keep Newton and their offense off the field. When we're on offense, run it straight down their throats, and don't settle for field goals against an offense that can score quickly.

Going to be quite a test I think. While we do have homefield advantage, it's Thursday Night Football and we're coming off of a bruising divisional battle last Sunday. The Panthers pretty well cruised to a win over the Bucs.

Foot on the gas, can't have a Ravens hangover.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:45 am

This game worries me. Mainly because of the short week after the Ravens. We usually play well in our Color Rush uniforms though. Keep the Burned Brothers (Burnett and Burns) off of the field.

If we can pull off this W though, I think it will build a lot of confidence with the team and prepare them to unleash hell in November and December. :)

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

@Lokki wrote:
This game worries me.  Mainly because of the short week after the Ravens.  We usually play well in our Color Rush uniforms though.  Keep the Burned Brothers (Burnett and Burns) off of the field.  

If we can pull off this W though, I think it will build a lot of confidence with the team and prepare them to unleash hell in November and December.  :)

All I know is if they get beat by the Patriots* yet again, then I'm definitely not going to get my hopes up about anything. Until they can get past New England, they're just another team that's going to maybe win one playoff game and then get knocked out. Belicheat/Shady have been our kryptonite for far too long.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:23 am

@Lokki wrote:
This game worries me.  Mainly because of the short week after the Ravens.  We usually play well in our Color Rush uniforms though.  Keep the Burned Brothers (Burnett and Burns) off of the field.  

If we can pull off this W though, I think it will build a lot of confidence with the team and prepare them to unleash hell in November and December.  :)

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Another distraction.

https://wjactv.com/news/local/cops-steelers-antonio-brown-pulled-over-for-going-100-mph
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Grow up, Antonio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town   

Back to top Go down

Short week, powerhouse Panthers come to town
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: