HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice    Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:13 pm

James Conner has been in concussion protocol since taking a hit to the head six days ago against the Carolina Panthers, but he went through a full practice Wednesday and is expected to be cleared in time to play in Jacksonville on Sunday afternoon.

“I feel good,” Conner said following practice Wednesday afternoon. “I feel like I’m back to normal.”
That’s good news for the Steelers, who now know Conner will be their full-time starter for the remainder of the season. That was confirmed Tuesday afternoon when disgruntled running back Le’Veon Bell did not sign his franchise tender by the deadline and is now ineligible to play in the NFL this season.
If Bell had reported, the Steelers might have had to deal with a tandem backfield, however uncomfortable that might have been with Conner in the midst of an All-Pro-caliber season.

Conner has 771 rushing yards and 387 receiving yards after nine games – on pace for 2,058 yards from scrimmage this season. Bell had 1,946 yards from scrimmage in 15 games last season.
Conner also has 11 touchdowns. Bell never had more than 11 touchdowns in any of his five seasons with the Steelers.

Not bad for a third-round pick whose rookie season ended because of a knee injury that required surgery.

“You can never judge people,” offensive lineman Ramon Foster said. “People thought I’d be out of the league, too, in my early years. So what do you say? Screw them and prove them wrong. That’s what he’s doing right now. I’m happy for him. That’s the whole point of it. The show is about him. You put him on any team – what he’s been doing right now – he’s having an awesome season. He could be a potential MVP candidate, at least Offensive Player of the Year.”

Bell’s playing status won’t change anything for Conner.

“What’s there to change?” Conner said. “Nothing changes. We’re in Week 11. I’m doing the same thing I’ve been doing for all of these weeks. I don’t really pay attention to it. I always go by the motto of control what you can control. I’m just going to keep doing what I’ve been doing.”

Conner is on pace to get 361 touches this season. The Steelers used Bell in the same way, rarely taking him off the field and riding his production to victories. It also was one of the reasons Bell decided to sit out this season. He wanted to protect his body from wear and tear before he hits free agency in March.

Conner said Wednesday there have been no conversations with coach Mike Tomlin about reducing his role, or even his practice schedule, as the regular season winds down.

“I haven’t talked to him about that at all,” Conner said. “I’m excited. We have more football to play. I earn everything. Nothing was given to me. I’m going to do the same thing I’ve been doing.”

Full article here: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/11/14/Steelers-running-back-James-Conner-concussion-practice-return/stories/201811140164

PostSubject: Re: James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice    Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:29 am

Let's hear it for the outstanding Team Player James Conner!

Those are the kinds of players you build championships with.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice    Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 am

I really like what he brings to this team. Keyword being team. I wasn't worried about him clearing since he has the extra days to recover.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice    Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:12 am

Excellent news. They need to start putting in Samuels a little more to keep Conner fresh for January football.
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable

PostSubject: Re: James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice    Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:40 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Excellent news. They need to start putting in Samuels a little more to keep Conner fresh for January football.

Right you are, SF. Getting Samuels some reps to keep Conner fresh - and also help him develop further so he's ready to step up when needed.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice    Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:33 pm

@nine vegetable wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Right you are, SF.  Getting Samuels some reps to keep Conner fresh - and also help him develop further so he's ready to step up when needed.

I think he is gradually becoming our number 2. I think his ceiling is fairly high. He has played TE,WR and RB. At least I hope he starts getting more reps. Plus there's not much tape on him yet.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice    Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:56 pm

@solardave wrote:
@nine vegetable wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Right you are, SF.  Getting Samuels some reps to keep Conner fresh - and also help him develop further so he's ready to step up when needed.

I think he is gradually becoming our number 2. I think his ceiling is fairly high. He has played TE,WR and RB. At least I hope he starts getting more reps. Plus there's not much tape on him yet.

A RB who can play slot WR or use him as a trapping TE at 225 that nice size to be running, blocking, or catching passes out in space. been hopping if Sammuels could make the transition from college to pro and it look like he's getting his chance to show how much he's learned.

PostSubject: Re: James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice    

Back to top Go down

James Conner back to 'normal' after going through a full practice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: