HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL

Go down 
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Quote :
"Teams like the Rams, the Steelers, Chiefs, they can decide they're going to come at you," said Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall. "They are explosive with quarterbacks and receivers, but when they want to pound you, they can pound you. And sometimes when you have some success slowing them down passing the ball, they come at you. I think those are tough offenses the ones that can just go from throwing the ball and turn it around and then come at you when your personnel might be for the pass."

The Broncos have felt the sting of that on defense. In Weeks 5 and 6, the New York Jets and the Rams rushed for 323 and 270 yards, respectively, and they did it largely against the Broncos' nickel package.

http://www.espn.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/32371/broncos-steelers-can-still-run-the-ball-in-pass-happy-nfl

So my thinking would be get the Broncos nickle defense on the field all game and run Conner down their throats work the passing game off that.

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:29 am

My thinking is that we should stomp on the Broncos. Ben has seen this defense before (back when they had Talib) and picked it apart. I'm more worried about us on the defensive side of the ball. The gameplan defensively needs to be stacking the box, and daring Case Keenum to throw it. Keenum has been very inconsistent this season, we need to take advantage of that. Keenum is at his best when the offense is balanced and he can play off of the running game. Stack the box, play some man to disrupt the receivers, and get after the QB effectively. This is definitely a winnable game.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:15 am

I expect Conner to have a bounce back game this weekend and remind us how to forget about Leveon all over again. If we play to our potential, we should hand them a big L.

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:12 pm

It’s not going to be easy. Chuks Okorafur is getting his first start in the NFL as a rookie right tackle and guess who he has to go up against.... Von Miller. He is going to need some serious help and they are going to need the run game to help and to scheme to get the ball out of Bens hands quickly.

Last edited by SteelerFreak58 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:44 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
It’s not going to be easy. Chucks Okafur is getting his first start in the NFL as a rookie right tackle and guess who he has to go up against.... Von Miller. He is going to need some serious help and they are going to need the run game to help and to scheme to get the ball out of Bens hands quickly.

Poor Okafur. Going up against one of the NFL's best in his first start.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:39 pm

@jak341 wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
It’s not going to be easy. Chucks Okafur is getting his first start in the NFL as a rookie right tackle and guess who he has to go up against.... Von Miller. He is going to need some serious help and they are going to need the run game to help and to scheme to get the ball out of Bens hands quickly.

Poor Okafur. Going up against one of the NFL's best in his first start.

yup, going to be a long tough day for Okafur, he's is going to need some help from Conner's chip blocks.

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:19 am

What we need to do is put this last game behind us and go back to playing like we did the previous 5 games. Smashmouth. If we do that we will win this game. Stop the run and at least pressure Keenum but sacks will be even better.
Open holes for Connor to get to the second level and make people miss. Wear them down with the run to set up some play action. Don't force throws because AB is whining.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:00 pm

Personally I think Chuks is going to hold his own. Yes it's Von Miller, but I think Chuks has it in him. Just a gut feeling.

The other positive to take from this is the Broncos no longer have Demaryius Thomas, a guy that kind of gave us fits when we played against him.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:21 am

They haven't ruled Feiler out yet from what I saw but even if they do we'll just have to slide some protection Chuks way. Hey, next man up right?
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:25 am

I've been rooting for him since the Steelers drafted him because of his 6'6" 320#s size.

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:58 am

I think keeping Chubs and Miller out of the back field will be the biggest deal on offense. AV and Chuks or Feiler will have their hands full. I look for a lot of 2 TE sets to help protect Ben if Chuks starts.

On the other side we need to make Keenum hold the ball longer. At least until we can get there. As always stopping their running game will be a key.

The offense needs to start fast and get out ahead early. Denver plays better with a lead. We need to make sure they are trying to catch up all game. We can't afford to start like we did against the Jags.

Steelers-34
Bronco- 21
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:23 am

Denver is not a team to overlook like we did last week. We do not need them getting a head of steam at home. Vegas is also seeing the potential for a setback too, being just 3 pt favorites. It's been said already but protection on Ben is crucial this late in the season. He is being a little more reckless with his body this year than I've seen in the past couple of seasons (running for td's and gains, not scrambling) and I hope that doesn't get him into trouble.

Here's your opening day Chuks. Time to show us why we wanted this big bodied tackle in the 3rd.

Pitt: 27
Den: 24

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 am

I don't feel very good about this game. Denver is a very tough place to play, and we have traditionally not played well here. Plus, Denver is a lot tougher than their record indicates. I really think there's a possibility for a trap game.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:19 am

@nine vegetable wrote:
I don't feel very good about this game.  Denver is a very tough place to play, and we have traditionally not played well here.  Plus, Denver is a lot tougher than their record indicates.  I really think there's a possibility for a trap game.

True Ben is 2-4 in Denver but I think right now we're the better team. We have to play like it and not overlook these guys. I know it's been a trend for us for a long time but I see this changing because we've won the games we should have (Browns aside) this season. I was feeling pretty good about this game.
Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:04 pm

I agree with you Dave, we are definitely the better team. I hope we play like it today.

Hope we jump on them early and often.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:58 pm

@nine vegetable wrote:
I agree with you Dave, we are definitely the better team.  I hope we play like it today.

Hope we jump on them early and often.

This should be the game where we start to show other teams why they don't want to play us. Full speed ahead.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:17 am

It was apparent to me the Steelers had no plan of developing the run game yesterday.

IMO the run game has lacked the last two games and it hasn't been as dominant as it should be.

I'm hoping moving forward this team stops hurting itself like they did today.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:28 am

@solardave wrote:
I think keeping Chubs and Miller out of the back field will be the biggest deal on offense. AV and Chuks or Feiler will have their hands full. I look for a lot of 2 TE sets to help protect Ben if Chuks starts.

On the other side we need to make Keenum hold the ball longer. At least until we can get there. As always stopping their running game will be a key.

The offense needs to start fast and get out ahead early. Denver plays better with a lead. We need to make sure they are trying to catch up all game. We can't afford to start like we did against the Jags.

Steelers-34
Bronco- 21

According to Labriola if we win the turnover battle we win 34-24. Close but no cigar.

https://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on-the-loss-to-the-broncos
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL   

Back to top Go down

Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: