HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice    Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Steelers receiver Eli Rogers returned to practice Wednesday afternoon, and the team has 21 days to decide if he will be activated to the 53-man roster.

Rogers is on the physically-unable-to-perform list because he sustained a knee injury in the January playoff game against the Jaguars. If after 21 days the Steelers don’t activate him to the 53-man roster, Rogers will remain on PUP for the rest of the season.

Rogers has played in 27 games with 12 starts over the previous two seasons. He had 48 receptions for 594 yards and three touchdowns in 2016, but his production slipped last season, when he had 18 catches for 149 yards and one touchdown.

The Steelers don’t have an immediate need for Rogers now. JuJu Smith-Schuster plays in the slot, as does Ryan Switzer when he is in the game. Switzer played a season-high 52 snaps and caught six passes for 67 yards Sunday against the Broncos.

Full story: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/11/28/eli-rogers-injury-update-steelers-receivers/stories/201811280147

PostSubject: Re: Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice    Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 am

I don't think Eli will play this year. I would be surprised if we see him on the field at all. I think next year he'll compete for a spot but what we have now is working using JU JU in the slot.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice    Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:35 am

Eli is a better WR than Washington.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets activated to ride out the rest of the season as our #3.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice    Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:22 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
Eli is a better WR than Washington.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets activated to ride out the rest of the season as our #3.

I'd be fine with that. Question is how long would it take to get in football shape. I always looked at Eli as AB lite.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice    Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:08 am

Washington still going though those rookie growing pains guess the speed of the game hasn't fully slowed down for him quite yet.

I was thinking when they drafted Washington hope he comes in like JUJU did.

PostSubject: Re: Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice    Yesterday at 1:13 am

Eli Rogers could return for Patriots* game; James Conner questionable

The Steelers must decide by Tuesday whether to activate Eli Rogers to the active roster or keep on the physically-unable-to-perform list for the remainder of the season. Based on what his teammates were saying Friday, there is a strong possibility Rogers could make his return Sunday against the Patriots*.

“He’s excited to be back,” receiver Antonio Brown said. “He’s a great asset to the team. He’s been through a lot of adversity. I’m excited to see him get back out there.”

Rogers, who sustained a torn ACL in the playoff game against the Jaguars in January, could be activated to the 53-man roster Saturday. Slot receiver and punt returner Ryan Switzer injured his ankle during practice Friday. He returned to practice, but he’ll be evaluated Sunday before the game to see if he can play.

Rogers plays in the slot and returns punts, so it would be an easy switch for the Steelers.

“Eli is a shifty dude, very quick, very smart playing inside,” receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster said. “He’ll help out a lot, being able to move him in and out with Switz.”

Rogers took a lot of reps with the first-team offense this week even before Switzer was injured.

“Eli is an established inside-type receiver in this league,” offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner said. “He’s played really a year and a half, two years now. He’s played a lot of football. So, there’s a lot of experience, a lot of quickness and inside stuff he’s capable of bringing to you. How much? How quickly? I don’t know the answer to that, but it is nice to see him getting some balls with Ben [Roethlisberger], starting to work to see where his situation might end up being.”

Rogers, who declined an interview request Friday, had 18 receptions for 149 yards and one touchdown last season.

Conner questionable

Running back James Conner, who missed the Raiders game because of a high ankle sprain, is questionable. He was listed as a limited participant Friday after not practicing at all Wednesday or Thursday.

Rookie Jaylen Samuels and veteran Stevan Ridley will split the running back duties if Conner does not play.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/14/james-conner-injury-update-eli-rogers-pup-list-steelers-news/stories/201812140123

PostSubject: Re: Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice    Yesterday at 10:46 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
Eli Rogers could return for Patriots** game; James Conner questionable

The Steelers must decide by Tuesday whether to activate Eli Rogers to the active roster or keep on the physically-unable-to-perform list for the remainder of the season. Based on what his teammates were saying Friday, there is a strong possibility Rogers could make his return Sunday against the Patriots**.

“He’s excited to be back,” receiver Antonio Brown said. “He’s a great asset to the team. He’s been through a lot of adversity. I’m excited to see him get back out there.”

Rogers, who sustained a torn ACL in the playoff game against the Jaguars in January, could be activated to the 53-man roster Saturday. Slot receiver and punt returner Ryan Switzer injured his ankle during practice Friday. He returned to practice, but he’ll be evaluated Sunday before the game to see if he can play.

Rogers plays in the slot and returns punts, so it would be an easy switch for the Steelers.

“Eli is a shifty dude, very quick, very smart playing inside,” receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster said. “He’ll help out a lot, being able to move him in and out with Switz.”

Rogers took a lot of reps with the first-team offense this week even before Switzer was injured.

“Eli is an established inside-type receiver in this league,” offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner said. “He’s played really a year and a half, two years now. He’s played a lot of football. So, there’s a lot of experience, a lot of quickness and inside stuff he’s capable of bringing to you. How much? How quickly? I don’t know the answer to that, but it is nice to see him getting some balls with Ben [Roethlisberger], starting to work to see where his situation might end up being.”

Rogers, who declined an interview request Friday, had 18 receptions for 149 yards and one touchdown last season.

Conner questionable

Running back James Conner, who missed the Raiders game because of a high ankle sprain, is questionable. He was listed as a limited participant Friday after not practicing at all Wednesday or Thursday.

Rookie Jaylen Samuels and veteran Stevan Ridley will split the running back duties if Conner does not play.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/14/james-conner-injury-update-eli-rogers-pup-list-steelers-news/stories/201812140123

I'm OK with Washington for the long term plan but I've always liked Eli. I just don't know if Eli's up to speed yet I feel like we won't need him to save the game. Just catch everything thrown to him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice    

Back to top Go down

Receiver Eli Rogers returns to Steelers practice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: