HomeRocky chimes in... Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Rocky chimes in...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 6:58 pm

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/10/former-steeler-great-rocky-bleier-levels-harsh-criticism-of-team-after-another-loss/

Rocky Bleier: 'Maybe Keith Butler has to go'
The Steelers have lost three games in a row, and folks, the takes are flying.

Rocky Bleier is among the most Mad Online. The team’s four-time Super Bowl champion running back chimed in with this Facebook video Monday that’s a few curses short of being a Snoop Dogg-esque rant.

“With the talent that they have, how can they lose three of their last four games, and in the manner that they did?” Bleier asked rhetorically. “Well, it’s all about tendencies. Look at last year. They would win games in the fourth quarter. Come from behind. Big plays. They do that this year, as well, but now they give up big plays.”

Then the finger-pointing started. And Bleier didn’t spare anyone.

• On kicker Chris Boswell, who missed a field goal attempt and had another blocked Sunday against the Raiders: “The purpose of a kicker is just to put a team in a position to win. If you can’t do that, then maybe you need to go.”

• On defensive coordinator Keith Butler: “If you have an offense that can come from behind and put you in a position to win, then as a defense you cannot allow your opponent to march down the field and strip you of your dignity. This season, that has happened too often. Something has to be done. If you’re pointing fingers, well then maybe Keith Butler has to go.”

Bleier also suggested coach Mike Tomlin should be on the hot seat if the team can’t win its way into the playoffs in its last three games against New England, New Orleans and Cincinnati.

“How [the Steelers] fare will dictate the team’s future, and it may be without Tomlin.”

When Rocky chimes in some folks might listen. Changes need to happen.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Rocky chimes in... 1647293567
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 3:46 am

I couldn't agree more with Rocky. No more excuses. I've been a Tomlin supporter for quite some time. After watching that travesty last Sunday. No more. Tomlin consistently makes poor decisions, whether it's idiotic challenges that cost us timeouts, going for two point conversions when it isn't necessary, or leaving his franchise QB on the bench for almost two quarters worth of time because he didn't want to interrupt the "Rhythm and flow" of the game... That's a flat out ridiculous excuse. You put your best players out on the football field, period. Josh Dobbs is a young backup QB whose only experience in an NFL game prior to Sunday was throwing one decent pass. Ben should've been in the game immediately after he was cleared. I'm not Tomlin, I can't speak to what's going on inside his head, but it sure seems like a combination of arrogance/incompetence lead him to make that decision. Arrogance that he thought a backup QB could come in and close out the game against what most are deeming a lesser opponent. Incompetence in the fact that you have a future Hall of Fame QB who is having one of his best statistical seasons of his career standing around on the sidelines (after having been medically cleared to play), in favor of a backup QB.

Then there's Keith Butler. Being 100% honest, he should've been fired and sent packing along with Todd Haley during the offseason. Nothing changes with Butler. He just doesn't seem to understand that his schemes aren't working. If something doesn't work, you don't just keep doing it until it does. You try something different. Butler is killing this team defensively. We're getting shredded in the run game, and the passing game. We let old injury prone Jordy Nelson burn us, we let Seth Roberts burn us, we let the Raiders TEs absolutely shred us time and time again. Again we saw receivers getting matched up on LBs because Butler can't figure things out. This has been going on for weeks. Keenan Allen was matched up on LBs far too often in the Chargers game. He's one of the best in the game... Maybe you should have a DB shadow him? In the Raiders game it was Nelson who I saw getting matched up with LBs. Any self-respecting WR in the NFL is going to burn LBs. LBs are not meant to cover the opponents fastest receivers. They are meant to rush the QB, stop the run, and sometimes match up with TEs and RBs in coverage. Phillip Rivers and Derrick Carr probably got a stiffy every time they saw these matchups and they saw them consistently.

Boswell... Boswell... Ugh. I hate even hearing his name right now. He has been nothing short of horrible this season. Missing extra points, missing field goals, and just basically doing everything he can do to hinder our team in trying to win football games. He should've been cut earlier this season. Instead we're going to be stuck with him for the rest of this season, and it's abundantly apparent to me that he just doesn't have "it" anymore. He's a huge liability, and we cannot trust him to win us games. The pressure is going to be dialed up even more on Ben and the offense than it already is.

Honestly, unless Tomlin manages to win out this season, and to make the playoffs. I think the Rooney's should be seriously considering making some changes. Tomlin/Butler/Boswell should all be on notice.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 5:56 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Rocky. He said something that set me straight too. I have been blaming refs all year for bad calls. In my defense they are atrocious but here's what he said..."Good/Great teams overcome these calls." Then we as fans can say..."they tried to take this one away but we wouldn't let them." We can't say that this year!
If Tomlin wanted to see flow maybe he could have pulled Ben during the Carolina game the last quarter and let Dobbs play. Not while Ben is cleared in a close game when it is apparent your defense is now the "Reynolds Wrap Curtain". You're right Iowa Dobbs' throw in the Ravens game was decent. I agree because how many other WRs might have missed that low throw. I like Dobbs. He's wicked smart but you don't put your rusty backup in in favor of your HOfamer who can play. RIGHT NOW!!!
I'm pretty sure that Butler will be gone at the end of the season. I don't think they fire Tomlin but we've seen a few things happen out of character in the last couple years. If I was Art I would tell Tomlin if you don't win out you're out. Behind closed doors of course. Rocky chimes in... 3798349058
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 8:03 am

@solardave wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with Rocky. He said something that set me straight too. I have been blaming refs all year for bad calls. In my defense they are atrocious but here's what he said..."Good/Great teams overcome these calls." Then we as fans can say..."they tried to take this one away but we wouldn't let them." We can't say that this year!
If Tomlin wanted to see flow maybe he could have pulled Ben during the Carolina game the last quarter and let Dobbs play. Not while Ben is cleared in a close game when it is apparent your defense is now  the "Reynolds Wrap Curtain". You're right Iowa Dobbs' throw in the Ravens game was decent. I agree because how many other WRs might have missed that low throw. I like Dobbs. He's wicked smart but you don't put your rusty backup in in favor of your HOfamer who can play. RIGHT NOW!!!
I'm pretty sure that Butler will be gone at the end of the season. I don't think they fire Tomlin but we've seen a few things happen out of character in the last couple years. If I was Art I would tell Tomlin if you don't win out you're out. Behind closed doors of course. Rocky chimes in... 3798349058

If Tomlin stays, I get it. The Rooney's aren't known for firing coaches and give their coaches plenty of chances to redeem themselves. They've always believed in continuity.

If Butler has a job after this season, I'm going to pull what little hair I have left out of my head. That guy is just dumb. He's the kind of guy that keeps trying to drive a square peg into a round hole. It just doesn't work, but he's so stubborn that he keeps on trying. These zone defensive schemes are getting ripped apart and have been getting ripped apart for awhile now. In the modern NFL you have to be able to play more man coverage. You have to give QBs different looks. You have to force them to throw the ball in tight windows. Instead we watch our hapless secondary get scorched time and time again. Receivers running wide open all over the field. Receivers getting matched up on linebackers with alarming frequency. I mean this goes back to last season, the miscues and blown assignments. They really reared their head in Week 2 against the Chiefs, and while they've gotten better, it would appear to me that they're regressing once again. We rely way too heavily on our pass rush for all of our defensive success. We can't turn the ball over. Interceptions are a rarity, and the only time we recover fumbles seems to be more on luck, than on our player's ability to attack and strip the football.

This defense has got to get better. Championships aren't won on offense alone. As much as I hate to say it a team like the Ravens could win the Super Bowl if they make the playoffs just because of their defense and their ability to slow the high flying offenses down. Right now we're having to rely on our offense keeping up, and outscoring our opponents because we can't rely on our defense.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 8:40 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
If Tomlin wanted to see flow maybe he could have pulled Ben during the Carolina game the last quarter and let Dobbs play. Not while Ben is cleared in a close game when it is apparent your defense is now  the "Reynolds Wrap Curtain". You're right Iowa Dobbs' throw in the Ravens game was decent. I agree because how many other WRs might have missed that low throw. I like Dobbs. He's wicked smart but you don't put your rusty backup in in favor of your HOfamer who can play. RIGHT NOW!!!

If Tomlin stays, I get it. The Rooney's aren't known for firing coaches and give their coaches plenty of chances to redeem themselves. They've always believed in continuity.

If Butler has a job after this season, I'm going to pull what little hair I have left out of my head. That guy is just dumb. He's the kind of guy that keeps trying to drive a square peg into a round hole. It just doesn't work, but he's so stubborn that he keeps on trying. These zone defensive schemes are getting ripped apart and have been getting ripped apart for awhile now. In the modern NFL you have to be able to play more man coverage. You have to give QBs different looks. You have to force them to throw the ball in tight windows. Instead we watch our hapless secondary get scorched time and time again. Receivers running wide open all over the field. Receivers getting matched up on linebackers with alarming frequency. I mean this goes back to last season, the miscues and blown assignments. They really reared their head in Week 2 against the Chiefs, and while they've gotten better, it would appear to me that they're regressing once again. We rely way too heavily on our pass rush for all of our defensive success. We can't turn the ball over. Interceptions are a rarity, and the only time we recover fumbles seems to be more on luck, than on our player's ability to attack and strip the football.

This defense has got to get better. Championships aren't won on offense alone. As much as I hate to say it a team like the Ravens could win the Super Bowl if they make the playoffs just because of their defense and their ability to slow the high flying offenses down. Right now we're having to rely on our offense keeping up, and outscoring our opponents because we can't rely on our defense.

You are right about it all. Starting with Tomlin. I don't think they change HC yet. Butler is insane by definition. "DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS!"
If Cleveland decides to let Williams walk I see this as possibility for a legitimate replacement. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.
Forget rankings. They don't have a lot of defensive talent but they tackle the ball and create turnovers.I've paid attention to this guy since he was in New Orleans and they swarm,tackle and create opportunities.
We're real close to have a complete set of DBs that can play man and we're not using that talent.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Quote :
as a defense you cannot allow your opponent to march down the field and strip you of your dignity.

This!!

It's not just about giving up points. It's about dignity ... pride. And this defense is lacking. It also lacks heart, passion, and every other relative buzz word. Minus a few players, the talent is there. Not enough to be a great defense, but certainly enough to be good. Or at the very least, adequate. Butler needs to go.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
LambertWardSteel

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Rocky hasn't been the type to say a lot along these lines. With a player like this coming out with these comments, and the fan/media reaction to this game, it is going to be a long end of season for Tomlin and staff if this streak goes to 5 as it very well may. They had a 2.5 game division lead, the 2nd seed with 6 remaining, 3 against teams with losing records, and they are fighting to hold on at the hardest part of their schedule.

Drizztbob

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 3:22 pm

This isn't a TEAM. This is a bunch of players running around without good leadership and heart. It seems like JuJu, Ben, Cam, and TJ are the only ones who want it and have the talent to get it. Everywhere else is lacking and it's the job of coaches to create the environment to win which includes game calling, preparation, motivation, and appropriate staff. ALL of which they are failing at.

Tired of reading about this 2018 team. Tired of watching these games. Tired of this season. Let the Browns win.

effyou515

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 9:24 am

@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

You are right about it all. Starting with Tomlin. I don't think they change HC yet. Butler is insane by definition. "DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS!"
If Cleveland decides to let Williams walk I see this as possibility for a legitimate replacement. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.
Forget rankings. They don't have a lot of defensive talent but they tackle the ball and create turnovers.I've paid attention to this guy since he was in New Orleans and they swarm,tackle and create opportunities.
We're real close to have a complete set of DBs that can play man and we're not using that talent.

this is still pretty much Dick LeBeau's defensive scheme and it was never good a covering TEs. why do you think the Patriots* drafted Gronk? Rocky chimes in... 2829330259 maybe to beat the Steelers?

schillah

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 9:58 am

@effyou515 wrote:

this is still pretty much Dick LeBeau's defensive scheme and it was never good a covering TEs. why do you think the Patriots** drafted Gronk? Rocky chimes in... 2829330259 maybe to beat the Steelers?

Na, they owned this defense before Gronk

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 10:51 am

@schillah wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

this is still pretty much Dick LeBeau's defensive scheme and it was never good a covering TEs. why do you think the Patriots**** drafted Gronk? Rocky chimes in... 2829330259 maybe to beat the Steelers?

Na, they owned this defense before Gronk

yes, now the Patriots** only need one receiver to beat the Steelers, Gronk.

Rocky chimes in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rocky chimes in...   Rocky chimes in... Empty

Back to top Go down

Rocky chimes in...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: