Home2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share
 

 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
nine vegetable



Posts : 415
Likes : 42
Join date : 2018-08-31

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 3:01 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Here's my Mock Draft Version 3.0

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Mock_311

Some of you post in The Front Office section, but if you haven't yet we talk a lot of Mock Draft stuff here:
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t7891p25-pittsburgh-steelers-2019-mock-drafts

I haven't studied most of these but I seriously doubt Parris Campbell will be available by then.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Posts : 3790
Likes : 1264
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 am

@nine vegetable wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Here's my Mock Draft Version 3.0

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Mock_311

Some of you post in The Front Office section, but if you haven't yet we talk a lot of Mock Draft stuff here:
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t7891p25-pittsburgh-steelers-2019-mock-drafts

I haven't studied most of these but I seriously doubt Parris Campbell will be available by then.

Never know. I did this on an automatic draft where the computer does all the other picks and I pick for the Steelers. So it's quite possible he wouldn't be available in Round 2, but sometimes players fall, and some get picked higher than they should be (Artie Burns).

_________________
2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 PaKS9WC
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
nine vegetable



Posts : 415
Likes : 42
Join date : 2018-08-31

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:16 pm

You're right, that does happen, and its always possible. Parris Campbell would be a nice pickup to be sure. And of course, a top ILB first round.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 953
Likes : 379
Join date : 2011-04-08

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 1:29 pm

i like the draft they have up at walterfootball.com

1 Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
2 D'Andre Walker, 0LB, Georgia
3 Dalton Risner, OT/C, Kansas State
3 Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn
4 DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Ole Miss
5 Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
6 Terry Beckner, DE/DT, Missouri
6 Te'von Coney, LB, Notre Dame
6 Lil'Jordan Humphrey, WR, Texas
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 2:58 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i like the draft they have up at walterfootball.com

1   Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
2   D'Andre Walker, 0LB, Georgia
3   Dalton Risner, OT/C, Kansas State
3   Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn
4   DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Ole Miss
5   Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
6   Terry Beckner, DE/DT, Missouri
6   Te'von Coney, LB, Notre Dame
6   Lil'Jordan Humphrey, WR, Texas

Looks good but I thought we had 10 picks.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 922
Likes : 183
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 3:08 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i like the draft they have up at walterfootball.com

1   Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
2   D'Andre Walker, 0LB, Georgia
3   Dalton Risner, OT/C, Kansas State
3   Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn
4   DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Ole Miss
5   Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
6   Terry Beckner, DE/DT, Missouri
6   Te'von Coney, LB, Notre Dame
6   Lil'Jordan Humphrey, WR, Texas

I hope that they do get Bush in 1st round and wouldn't be bad to go OLB in 2nd. Then maybe CB and WR with the two 3's. I've seen some writers, especially at Post Gazette, who seem to think they'll need to use a 3 to trade up a few spots to get Bush. It's probably another rough defensive year if we can't get an immediate ILB starter in the 1st round. 4 picks in the top 83 look good there. This could really be a big draft year for us if they hit some home runs here.

_________________
2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 $_35
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable



Posts : 415
Likes : 42
Join date : 2018-08-31

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 12:19 am

What do you guys think about trading up to get Devin White? Impossible? Cost too much draft capital? Not worth the loss of picks to do it?
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 5:02 am

@nine vegetable wrote:
What do you guys think about trading up to get Devin White?  Impossible?  Cost too much draft capital?  Not worth the loss of picks to do it?

Walter football has him going at #8
CBS #5
Draftek #6
Draftsite #8

I think it's possible but highly improbable for us to get him but at what cost. I'll be happy if we get Bush. I think the margin between the 2 is not that much.
As far as Bush
Draftsite has him going in the 2nd #41
CBS has us taking him at #20
Walter has us taking him at #20

I think we can stay where we are and get Bush.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 7:29 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
you have got to be shitting me ...8 million for 2 years for Chikillo ? what the hell has he done to get 4 million a year ? so between him and bud dupree , thats potentionally a cap hit of 13 million for what ? 7 sacks ?
and the moncrief signing, i hope to hell they aren't paying him more than 4 million a year. there's a reason he hasn't been a starter most of his career. his target / catch percentage has been terrible through out his career....
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoncDo00.htm

The one I'm scratching my head about is McCullers. As far as Moncreif who has he had to throw to him? He did well under Luck and then had Bortles. I'll wait to see what he can do in black and gold first before I judge him.
I do think we're over paying Chikillo. I like him as a backup but not at that price. It's not like he's gonna push Dupree to be better. Now we have 2 over priced OLBers who are backups. Maybe this is the year Dupree learns better technique and takes off. Or not.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

Posts : 2647
Likes : 528
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Steelers sign Mark Baron. This is the same Mark Baron who injured Ben in St. Louis in 2015. 2 year, $12 million.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1107414121870491650?s=19
Back to top Go down
BamaSteel
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 2
Likes : 2
Join date : 2017-08-30

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Well, let him put the hurting on some other team now. I think it's a good upgrade. Leadership qualities, too. Saban coached.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

Posts : 2647
Likes : 528
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 8:11 pm

PFF ranked him as having the worst season of his career last year.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Steelers/status/1107399089405263872

Lots of mixed emotions from the Internet. Not seeing a lot of Rams fans sad he is gone. Rams fans saying he is the worst player on a good defense. Can make a big hit, but not much else. Gets run over in the run game.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 953
Likes : 379
Join date : 2011-04-08

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 12:20 am

i don't know anything about the guy, but walterfootball says this about him...
Quote :

Mark Barron has never been a very good player, but he's coming off his worst season yet. That might be because he was dealing with an ankle injury he never fully recovered from. However, Barron turns 30 soon, so further regression could be coming.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019ILB.php#uQDbYXR8wzrVtFKY.99

they actually have him ranked BELOW LJ Fort.
why in the hell would they sign somebody...for MORE money , when he is apparently no better than jon bostic ??? OR....why didn't they just resign Fort who took a 3 year 10 million dollar deal ? at least he knows the system... 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 2625562446
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 am

Yeah this doesn't appear to make any sense at all. This guy will be 30 when the season starts and has not lived up to the hype. Here's to not stopping the run.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

Posts : 2647
Likes : 528
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 9:23 pm

This rumor is gaining steam. Haden may be out

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2826315-nfl-starters-most-likely-to-be-cut-before-the-nfl-draft.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 922
Likes : 183
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 11:18 pm

@jak341 wrote:
This rumor is gaining steam. Haden may be out

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2826315-nfl-starters-most-likely-to-be-cut-before-the-nfl-draft.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

If it is true I hate to think them trying to find a starter in the draft again, or, just as bad, going back to Artie Burns

_________________
2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 $_35
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable



Posts : 415
Likes : 42
Join date : 2018-08-31

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 am

No. That would be pure stupidity. They can restructure contracts and make it happen. They won't cut Haden.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 4:43 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i don't know anything about the guy, but walterfootball says this about him...
Quote :

Mark Barron has never been a very good player, but he's coming off his worst season yet. That might be because he was dealing with an ankle injury he never fully recovered from. However, Barron turns 30 soon, so further regression could be coming.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019ILB.php#uQDbYXR8wzrVtFKY.99

they actually have him ranked BELOW LJ Fort.
why in the hell would they sign somebody...for MORE money , when he is apparently no better than jon bostic ??? OR....why didn't they just resign Fort who took a 3 year 10 million dollar deal ? at least he knows the system... 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 2625562446

Every year there is this question. "Why aren't the Steelers more active in free agency"? This year they were but look at who they brought in.
If you watch highlights on these guys they appear to be great pickups:

Donte Moncrief:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emWxGYJgaLY

Steven Nelson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28L7mNNNzM&t=60s

Mark Barron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDPBLn-pJjo

These are highlights. All the  things these guys did right last year. What about all the wrong things. Moncrief and Barron have a rep for under performing their entire careers and Barron is going to be 30  by season start. Nelson had 4 ints but from what I read got burned as much as anyone.
Yet AR,Colbert and Tomlin seem to be saying "this time it's going to be different". Isn't that the very definition of insanity?
Especially since we are in cap hell with Ben not wanting to be team friendly and why in the hell did they waste money on McCullers? Just how much does he contribute on the field?
Now the rumor (which I don't believe the 3 stooges would be stupid enough) that they would cut Hayden.
If they do that all I can say is NYUK NYUK!!
Here is the first ranking of the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDPBLn-pJjo

I'll save you the time of scrolling down,down and paste this:

18

STEELERS

3

Previous rank: No. 15

Dumpst_r fir_. "Pat, I would like to buy a vowel ..." Welp. Did you hear the Steelers re-signed Ramon Foster? And added Steven Nelson, late of getting toasted in Kansas City on the reg? Get excited. Perhaps Pittsburgh will be fine sans the players who shall not be named. RB James Conner is legit. And you know Ben Roethlisberger will target JuJu Smith-Schuster 500 times in September alone, just to make sure a certain someone on the West Coast doesn't outproduce him. Looking forward to seeing how this team approaches the draft. Is GM Kevin Colbert content with James Washington, Eli Rogers and Donte Moncrief as his WR2, WR3 and WR4?

Normally I'd say let them disrespect us. We love being underdogs but the fact is this is our own doing. It seems for the last 2 years at least everything this FO has done is counter productive.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Posts : 1055
Likes : 193
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 5:05 am

Barron is the replacement of Burnett. Burnett is a safety who was asked to play as a dime linebacker, because he did that from time to time at Green Bay. Barron started his career at safety, but is a true dime linebacker which has been his prime position the last years. So Barron is a clear upgrade for Burnett, because he's a lot better in what they want him to do. I'm pretty sure that Burnett will be cut now and not Haden.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 6:47 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
Barron is the replacement of Burnett. Burnett is a safety who was asked to play as a dime linebacker, because he did that from time to time at Green Bay. Barron started his career at safety, but is a true dime linebacker which has been his prime position the last years. So Barron is a clear upgrade for Burnett, because he's a lot better in what they want him to do. I'm pretty sure that Burnett will be cut now and not Haden.
I am by no means saying cutting Hayden is anything but stupid.Cutting Burnett only saves 2.42 mil. The space has to come from somewhere and right now all they are doing is burning through what little room we have with
questionable players. It would help if Ben got his head out of his ass and signed a team friendly extension.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

Posts : 2647
Likes : 528
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 7:04 am

@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
Barron is the replacement of Burnett. Burnett is a safety who was asked to play as a dime linebacker, because he did that from time to time at Green Bay. Barron started his career at safety, but is a true dime linebacker which has been his prime position the last years. So Barron is a clear upgrade for Burnett, because he's a lot better in what they want him to do. I'm pretty sure that Burnett will be cut now and not Haden.
I am by no means saying cutting Hayden is anything but stupid.Cutting Burnett only saves 2.42 mil. The space has to come from somewhere and right now all they are doing is burning through what little room we have with
questionable players. It would help if Ben got his head out of his ass and signed a team friendly extension.

I am almost wondering if it makes sense not to do the Ben extension now. If you look at the FAs we signed, most of them are 2 year deals. Ben has 2 years left on his deal (I think). At that point, you will have a 39 year old QB. How effective will Ben be? If you don't extend Ben, both his and all of the FA contracts expire. This would give a lot of financial room for the organization for the successor to Ben. Do you know who else has 2 years left on his contract? Tomlin.

Put it all together. It just feels like we are heading into "lost years". None of the FA signings are of huge impact. They are, at best, slight upgrades to what we have. It really feels like we're planning for whatever is to come past Ben.
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable



Posts : 415
Likes : 42
Join date : 2018-08-31

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 1:18 pm

@jak341 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
Barron is the replacement of Burnett. Burnett is a safety who was asked to play as a dime linebacker, because he did that from time to time at Green Bay. Barron started his career at safety, but is a true dime linebacker which has been his prime position the last years. So Barron is a clear upgrade for Burnett, because he's a lot better in what they want him to do. I'm pretty sure that Burnett will be cut now and not Haden.
I am by no means saying cutting Hayden is anything but stupid.Cutting Burnett only saves 2.42 mil. The space has to come from somewhere and right now all they are doing is burning through what little room we have with
questionable players. It would help if Ben got his head out of his ass and signed a team friendly extension.

I am almost wondering if it makes sense not to do the Ben extension now. If you look at the FAs we signed, most of them are 2 year deals. Ben has 2 years left on his deal (I think). At that point, you will have a 39 year old QB. How effective will Ben be? If you don't extend Ben, both his and all of the FA contracts expire. This would give a lot of financial room for the organization for the successor to Ben. Do you know who else has 2 years left on his contract? Tomlin.

Put it all together. It just feels like we are heading into "lost years". None of the FA signings are of huge impact. They are, at best, slight upgrades to what we have. It really feels like we're planning for whatever is to come past Ben.

I'm in agreement with you, Jak, about not doing an extension right now. He's got a 2 year contract, he will be 39 in two years. A year from now, he might be ready to retire, or retire at the end of his contract. So I'm not sure extending him for more years now, is necessary, or even a good idea. Also, if he significantly drops off this year, would be the sign of a career wrapping up. At that point they could gently advise him to step away the following year.

As for the Tomlin contract - I wouldn't play much into that. Steelers are unlikely to part ways with him, unless a total meltdown happens (think 4-12 season or something). Its more likely that he will decide to move on on his own terms, and that's how the Tomlin era will end.

I don't know about lost years. You could be right. But I'd sure like to get a good look at the two young QB's and see what they've got.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 2:05 pm

@nine vegetable wrote:
@jak341 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
Barron is the replacement of Burnett. Burnett is a safety who was asked to play as a dime linebacker, because he did that from time to time at Green Bay. Barron started his career at safety, but is a true dime linebacker which has been his prime position the last years. So Barron is a clear upgrade for Burnett, because he's a lot better in what they want him to do. I'm pretty sure that Burnett will be cut now and not Haden.
I am by no means saying cutting Hayden is anything but stupid.Cutting Burnett only saves 2.42 mil. The space has to come from somewhere and right now all they are doing is burning through what little room we have with
questionable players. It would help if Ben got his head out of his ass and signed a team friendly extension.

I am almost wondering if it makes sense not to do the Ben extension now. If you look at the FAs we signed, most of them are 2 year deals. Ben has 2 years left on his deal (I think). At that point, you will have a 39 year old QB. How effective will Ben be? If you don't extend Ben, both his and all of the FA contracts expire. This would give a lot of financial room for the organization for the successor to Ben. Do you know who else has 2 years left on his contract? Tomlin.

Put it all together. It just feels like we are heading into "lost years". None of the FA signings are of huge impact. They are, at best, slight upgrades to what we have. It really feels like we're planning for whatever is to come past Ben.

I'm in agreement with you, Jak, about not doing an extension right now.  He's got a 2 year contract, he will be 39 in two years.  A year from now, he might be ready to retire, or retire at the end of his contract.  So I'm not sure extending him for more years now, is necessary, or even a good idea.  Also, if he significantly drops off this year, would be the sign of a career wrapping up.  At that point they could gently advise him to step away the following year.

As for the Tomlin contract - I wouldn't play much into that.  Steelers are unlikely to part ways with him, unless a total meltdown happens (think 4-12 season or something).  Its more likely that he will decide to move on on his own terms, and that's how the Tomlin era will end.

I don't know about lost years.  You could be right.  But I'd sure like to get a good look at the two young QB's and see what they've got.

The only reason I see them wanting to extend Ben's contract would have to do with cap space. Maybe they think they need to. But I have to agree with you both that other than the cap reason tell Ben you'll try again next year. If they stick with tradition and they don't get it done by training camp it won't happen this year and that's OK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades   2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
2019 Official Free Agent Signings / Re-signings / Trades
Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: