HomeDevlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 1:30 am

He’s one of the longest shots among the 91 men on the Pittsburgh Steelers’ training-camp roster to still be standing with the team by the start of the regular season. But Devlin Hodges has 14,584 reasons why he believes he can make the Steelers.

“As far as me feeling like I should be here, I definitely feel like it,” Hodges said from the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex earlier this month. “I have got that confidence.

“If you ask me, I think I should be No. 1 pick. I feel like everyone, if they are confident in themselves, that’s what they should think. I am a confident player; I know I have a lot of to learn. But I am excited to come out and … take each opportunity I have to show the coaches that I can play at this level.”

Perhaps if the NFL draft went solely by statistics, Hodges would indeed have been the No. 1 pick. The 2018 NCAA Division I leader in passing yards per game (389.4), Hodges wasn’t drafted, though. Worse, he wasn’t even signed as an undrafted free agent. Instead, the reigning Walter Payton Award winner as the top offensive player in D-I FCS had to settle for a tryout with the Steelers at the rookie minicamp.

Hodges impressed enough that May weekend that the Steelers signed him.

Read more: https://triblive.com/sports/ncaas-division-i-passing-leader-last-year-devlin-hodges-looks-to-impress-with-steelers/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 3:00 am

Here's to hoping this kid is some kind of stellar diamond-in-the-rough!

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 4:34 am

He could be the next Tom Brady. Minus the cheating. Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers 1797695198 That's 3 QBs behind Ben who have the potential to start. This is going to be some training camp.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 7:39 am

@solardave wrote:
He could be the next Tom Brady. Minus the cheating. Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers 1797695198 That's 3 QBs behind Ben who have the potential to start. This is going to be some training camp.

I never write off the guys from FCS. Kurt Warner played his college ball at UNI and then he played for the Iowa Barnstormers in the AFL. Is Hodges Kurt Warner? At this point it's way, way too early to tell that, but Warner proved you can't write guys off just because they came from what many deem to be "lesser" competition.

I think we'll see a healthy competition come training camp. May the best man win.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 5:36 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

I never write off the guys from FCS. Kurt Warner played his college ball at UNI and then he played for the Iowa Barnstormers in the AFL. Is Hodges Kurt Warner? At this point it's way, way too early to tell that, but Warner proved you can't write guys off just because they came from what many deem to be "lesser" competition.

I think we'll see a healthy competition come training camp. May the best man win.

Kurt Warner was OK Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers 2981382511 what with the "greatest show on turf". Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers 1797695198 If Hodges is the real deal it should come out in camp. How many teams do we know who will be having a 3 way competition for the #2 QB spot.I'm not sure if he gets a fair shake or not in camp. I think he'll have to kick the door in to get a shot but that would make it really interesting. Who would be the odd man out? It may not amount to anything or it could be one of the bigger shake ups in Steeler's history.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 9:37 pm

Kurt Warner is a fine example of a RB and WRs make a good QB look great with a really good o-line out in front.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 1:19 am

@effyou515 wrote:
Kurt Warner is a fine example of a RB and WRs make a good QB look great with a really good o-line out in front.

Kurt Warner was a stud. He wasn't just a "good QB". Warner got the Arizona Cardinals into the Super Bowl when they barely had any business making the playoffs. Sure he had good receivers in Boldin, and Fitzgerald but they weren't exactly unstoppable when it came to their offensive line and running backs (30yr old Edgerrin James way past his prime, and Tim Hightower). Warner put that team on his back. Great quarterbacks do that, not just good ones.

JMHO but any player that gets into the Hall of Fame is a great player or they wouldn't have been inducted.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 5:33 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

Kurt Warner was a stud. He wasn't just a "good QB". Warner got the Arizona Cardinals into the Super Bowl when they barely had any business making the playoffs. Sure he had good receivers in Boldin, and Fitzgerald but they weren't exactly unstoppable when it came to their offensive line and running backs (30yr old Edgerrin James way past his prime, and Tim Hightower). Warner put that team on his back. Great quarterbacks do that, not just good ones.

JMHO but any player that gets into the Hall of Fame is a great player or they wouldn't have been inducted.

I agree with everything you say. Warner was a stud packing groceries before he got his second chance. Maybe I'm wrong but I think character factors in to whether a player is one of the best or great. You're right too that anyone in the HOF was a great (individual) player but I admire guys like Warner who handled their "lack of recognition" with style and grace. Whether they accept it or not professional athletes are role models. Bell and Brown are examples of "me first" guys who at the very least disrupt the team and at the very worst (which they were at the end) are cancers to the cause. Sure they were leaders for us but in the wrong direction.

Warner was the complete package. There are a lot of players in the HOF that had they been judged by their ability to be a team first guy would not have made it.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 4:37 pm

@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

I agree with everything you say. Warner was a stud packing groceries before he got his second chance. Maybe I'm wrong but I think character factors in to whether a player is one of the best or great. You're right too that anyone in the HOF was a great (individual) player but I admire guys like Warner who handled their "lack of recognition" with style and grace. Whether they accept it or not professional athletes are role models. Bell and Brown are examples of "me first" guys who at the very least disrupt the team and at the very worst (which they were at the end) are cancers to the cause. Sure they were leaders for us but in the wrong direction.

Warner was the complete package. There are a lot of players in the HOF that had they been judged by their ability to be a team first guy would not have made it.

the legend Larry Fitzgerald a #2 WR named Anquan Boldin and a position WR Breaston and Whisenhunt HC and OC with a RB duo of Wells and Hightower yes Warner was good in Arozona. but was surrounded by very good talent just like in St. Louis.

imo it was the level of talent around him, don't get me wrong Warner was a very football smart accurate QB.

I really liked Whisenhunt's offense when he was the Steelers OC.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 6:53 am

@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

the legend Larry Fitzgerald a #2 WR named Anquan Boldin and a position WR Breaston and Whisenhunt HC and OC with a RB duo of Wells and Hightower yes Warner was good in Arozona. but was surrounded by very good talent just like in St. Louis.

imo it was the level of talent around him, don't get me wrong Warner was a very football smart accurate QB.

I really liked Whisenhunt's offense when he was the Steelers OC.

I believe it was Warner making good players better. I agree Whis factored in and I also liked him as our OC.
I see Warner a little like Ben. Look at AB and whoever was our #2 when Ben was not in and a lesser talent like Jones and even Batch ( who was in my IMHO the best backup we ever had) could not duplicate the production.Larry Fitz is no doubt a HOF candidate when his time comes but didn't have nearly the production when Warner left.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 2:44 am

Yeah as when Kurt left, Larry had to deal with a lot of QB's there. And that he is still clutch. But his production left when Kurt did.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyWed Aug 07, 2019 4:47 am

Hodges is playing well through camp, not lighting the world on fire by any means, but playing well enough. I know in the Day 10 camp notes I read he started getting some snaps with the 2nd Team which speaks well for him. He's definitely on the outside looking in, but if he gets better, and tears it up in the preaseason, who knows?

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Tim Benz: ‘Duck Dynasty’ is a great story, but Steelers’ 3rd QB isn’t great concern

My email inbox. Phone calls on TV and radio. Conversations with friends and family. The contractors at my house.

Apparently, the two most important, crucial, pressing questions within Steeler Nation are:

1. How can the Steelers keep fourth-string quarterback Devlin “Duck Dynasty” Hodges?

2. Will he get to four Super Bowls here, like Terry Bradshaw? Or only three like Ben Roethlisberger?

Heck, don’t set the bar so low. Let’s assume “Duck” will win six like Tom Brady.

Everyone loves Duck! To the point that it is making me daffy.

“It’s good to get the fans on my side,” Hodges said Wednesday. “Hopefully the coaches are saying the same thing the fans are.”

Read more: https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-duck-dynasty-is-a-great-story-but-steelers-third-qb-isnt-a-great-concern/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyFri Aug 23, 2019 4:49 am

I hope Hodges gets a bit of playing time in Game 3 but I expect it to be less with the QB2 job still open.

Hodges will likely see quite a bit of time in Game 4.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 1:17 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I hope Hodges gets a bit of playing time in Game 3 but I expect it to be less with the QB2 job still open.

Hodges will likely see quite a bit of time in Game 4.

Tomlin said not to read to much into who plays behind Ben tomorrow and for how long. I'm thinking if either one of Dobbs or Rudolph sits Sunday it says something about Hodges chances. I don't see that happening though. A lot depends on if Ben comes out on fire. If he looks in mid-season form Tomlin will yank him. That so he'll have 2 weeks to get rusty for game one when it counts. Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers 2913999526

I'm not bitchin' Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 6:57 pm

if i'm hodges, i'm praying right now that Rudolf or dobbs literally breaks a leg ... Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers 1797695198
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 pm

Yeah as really think that Hodges the kid looks good. And really he could be something to play in the preseason finale there!

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 8:56 pm

Rudolph cements second position barring a catastrophic melt down.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 6:33 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Rudolph cements second position barring a catastrophic melt down.

Yup, Dobbs looked horrible.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 6:22 am

Rudolph has pretty well won the #2 job. Dobbs is probably being shopped for late late round draft picks as a trade option.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dobbs go to the Colts. They just lost Luck, and Dobbs has a similar skill set to Jacoby Brissett.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyWed Aug 28, 2019 5:35 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Rudolph has pretty well won the #2 job. Dobbs is probably being shopped for late late round draft picks as a trade option.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dobbs go to the Colts. They just lost Luck, and Dobbs has a similar skill set to Jacoby Brissett.

Colts could use him. I think after the first 3 preseason games Rudolph has earned the #2 spot. Dobbs is starting the last game. May be his audition Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers 2087824411

If Dobbs plays the first half and Hodges plays the second half I think the writing will be on the wall. I wish this last game was televised in my area.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyWed Aug 28, 2019 8:29 am

Not looking like the Tomlin/Dobbs love affair is over with yet. Apparently Dobbs will be starting against the Panthers.

Seriously, what has this guy done to warrant keeping a job in Pittsburgh? He hasn't done anything impressive. He's inconsistent throwing the ball which was a knock on him coming out of college. Fast forward three years later and he's still got questionable accuracy and mechanics. I sincerely hope the Steelers don't stick with Dobbs just because of his experience. He had his chance to shine against a very questionable Oakland defense when Ben was injured last year and he came out and stunk things up.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers EmptyWed Aug 28, 2019 12:34 pm

This is a good video with Missi Mathews

https://www.steelers.com/video/duck-dynasty

Think about this: when he found out they held Duck Calling competitions he started practicing and became the world champion Duck Caller. He's a winner! If I wasn't a fan I am now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers   Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Devlin Hodges looks to impress Steelers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: