Homecould it be... Home10FAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

could it be...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: could it be...   could it be... EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 9:54 pm

could it be that the reason or part of the reason that Washington looked relaxed and confident was because the QB's throwing him the ball wasn't named Ben ? i mean didn't Ben publicly criticize him last year for missing a pass ? not a smart thing to do to a youngster who was probably already nervous on the big stage.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyTue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
could it be that the reason or part of the reason that Washington looked relaxed and confident was because  the QB's throwing him the ball wasn't named Ben ? i mean didn't Ben publicly criticize him last year for missing a pass ? not a smart thing to do to a youngster who was probably already nervous on the big stage.

Perhaps, but I don't think so. I think it was just the rookie jitters. Coming into the league as a rookie receiver is difficult. Especially when you come in and join a roster that featured the likes of Antonio Brown and Juju Smith-Schuster. It's hard enough to learn to the point the game slows down for you, it's probably twice as hard when you're under pressure and have lofty standards to live up to.

I don't think Ben's criticisms ever bothered anyone that much but Brown/Bell. Ben is the leader of the offense, great leaders ask more of their teammates. They ask more of themselves, and they take the blame when they mess up. Ben does all that, and people claim he's a bad leader. Brady, or Rogers call out their teammates and it's no big deal. Now I do agree that the methodology could be better. Maybe keep that stuff a little more in house, rather than spouting it off on a radio show every week. When you criticize your teammates to their faces, they will respect you more for it.

Btw good to see you MoP! I always love when the season starts up and people start to frequent the forum again!

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyTue Aug 13, 2019 9:07 am

could it be that the reason or part of the reason that Washington looked relaxed and confident was because  the QB's throwing him the ball wasn't named Ben ? i mean didn't Ben publicly criticize him last year for missing a pass ? not a smart thing to do to a youngster who was probably already nervous on the big stage.

I just think it is him settling down and finding his game. We'll see when he gets in there with Ben throwing. My guess is Ben will be praising him by mid season. Plus we're seeing a more "user friendly" Ben so far. If he cancels his radio show that'll say a lot about where his sightsc are set.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyTue Aug 13, 2019 11:30 am

I mean a rookie WR in the company of one of the best in the league and one of the best up and comers is a tough ask. You don't think that guy is putting all kinds of pressure on himself to make plays because he wants to prove his worth as compared to those other guys?

This year is new territory. This is a group or WRs who now lack identity. They have Juju, sure... But who is going to be Robin to that Batman?

I'm super excited to see what happens this season because we are going to need guys to step up like we haven't seen in years.

stlrtruck

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyWed Aug 14, 2019 9:57 am

@SteelersYak wrote:
I mean a rookie WR in the company of one of the best in the league and one of the best up and comers is a tough ask. You don't think that guy is putting all kinds of pressure on himself to make plays because he wants to prove his worth as compared to those other guys?

This year is new territory. This is a group or WRs who now lack identity. They have Juju, sure... But who is going to be Robin to that Batman?

I'm super excited to see what happens this season because we are going to need guys to step up like we haven't seen in years.

Maybe they don't need to a Robin to Batman. Instead what they need is a pack of WRs who don't stand out as individuals, but instead stand tall as ONE unit. That will probably take the pressure off everyone, instill a more cohesive locker room, and help others develop to their roles.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION could it be... 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyWed Aug 14, 2019 4:33 pm

We all know Ben is going to throw the ball. We also know a large part of his INT % happened when he tried to force balls to AB. He will spread the ball around. There will be talent there at WR and I want to think we improve over last year.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyWed Aug 14, 2019 4:35 pm

hmmmm could it be... 3135543967 ...i see some of you suggesting he felt pressure and nerves from his new star receiver teammates , but not from the future hall of fame QB who had a habit of critiquing his teammates in public. god only knows what Ben says at practice. not saying his other star powered teammates had didn't contribute to his rookie nerves.
i just think he felt more confident and relaxed catching passes and playing with teammates he is probably more comfortable with, those lesser known players. especially Mason who he already has a bond with.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyWed Aug 14, 2019 4:43 pm

@solardave wrote:
We all know Ben is going to throw the ball. We also know a large part of his INT % happened when he tried to force balls to AB. He will spread the ball around. There will be talent there at WR and I want to think we improve over last year.

i agree 100%. i, and probably most people including opposing coaches and defenders figured out he was spending way too much time looking at brown down field. although i was happy to see the last few season he was more willing to settle for the check down man. something he rarely did his first decade or so. i still believe to this day he didn't use Heath as much as he should have. although the horrible pass blocking did dictate Miller spending more time pass blocking. but i do believe miller could have put up jason whitten type numbers every year.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyWed Aug 14, 2019 8:45 pm

I think Rudolph and Washington are going to be around for a long time.

solardave

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 4:24 am

@effyou515 wrote:
I think Rudolph and Washington are going to be around for a long time.

They have the chemistry so I think you could be right. I think Rudolph can snag the #2 job this year and take over when Ben hangs them up.
I like Washington and think he is a viable #2 WR however I'm also OK mixing it up with Moncrief and Johnson if they show they can handle it. There's a lot of possibilities for us. We have talent. The question is can they show out in games. I think Ben will throw less INTs this year because he shouldn't have to force throws.

Honestly I believe out O will be fine. One serious question is can McDonald stay on the field and healthy? The argument can be made that Grimble isn't that big a drop when McDonald isn't in. My question is if I'm wrong about Grimble why isn't he used more? According to this he was only in on 16% of the plays last year and has only caught 22 balls in his career.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/11404/xavier-grimble

I think Defense is where most of the questions are. Can we stop the run? Can we create more turnovers? Who is going to step up in the secondary and make plays? Will our STs be better this year?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 5:44 am

Rudolph looks like the more polished product this preseason. He progresses through his reads more naturally and is more apt to stand in the pocket and throw under pressure. That's not to say Dobbs athletic abilities don't help him out, but sometimes he needs to hang in there and progress through those reads.

It's only been one preseason game so far but I feel like Rudolph is more naturally gifted and fits better into this offense. I think we're seeing Dobbs' ceiling at this point.

Honestly, I like Devlin Hodges as well. Guy is a gunslinger, he's not afraid to throw the rock around. I am starting to wonder if his ceiling isn't higher than that of Dobbs' as well. I would almost dangle Dobbs as trade bait for a super late round pick to see if someone would take him off our hands, and then run with Rudolph #2 and Hodges #3. I think if we put Hodges on the practice squad another team is going to snatch him up, seeing how we're playing New England in Week 1 it wouldn't surprise me if they did that preceding our match-up.

Will be interesting to see how these guys perform the rest of this preseason.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 6:49 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Rudolph looks like the more polished product this preseason. He progresses through his reads more naturally and is more apt to stand in the pocket and throw under pressure. That's not to say Dobbs athletic abilities don't help him out, but sometimes he needs to hang in there and progress through those reads.

It's only been one preseason game so far but I feel like Rudolph is more naturally gifted and fits better into this offense. I think we're seeing Dobbs' ceiling at this point.

Honestly, I like Devlin Hodges as well. Guy is a gunslinger, he's not afraid to throw the rock around. I am starting to wonder if his ceiling isn't higher than that of Dobbs' as well. I would almost dangle Dobbs as trade bait for a super late round pick to see if someone would take him off our hands, and then run with Rudolph #2 and Hodges #3. I think if we put Hodges on the practice squad another team is going to snatch him up, seeing how we're playing New England in Week 1 it wouldn't surprise me if they did that preceding our match-up.

Will be interesting to see how these guys perform the rest of this preseason.

I agree. It looks to me like Dobbs (being a rocket scientist could it be... 3798349058) may be over thinking things. Rudolph also has a WR that he has chemistry with already in Washington. I want to see more of Hodges before I say any more because I didn't see what everyone else did in that first game. I think the pressure is on Dobbs to take the next step and maybe he doesn't handle pressure well. could it be... 2087824411

I also agree the practice squad will not be a hiding place for Hodges. All that said these are good problems to have.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 2:48 am

i think we might be reading too much into the sample size we have seen thus far. i mean they both only threw 8 passes and against mostly different defenders.Dobbs could look like joe montana next time out and Rudy and hodges might look like dog shit. could it be... 2087824411
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 5:15 am

i think we might be reading too much into the sample size we have seen thus far. i mean they both only threw 8 passes and against mostly different defenders.Dobbs could look like joe montana next time out and Rudy and hodges might look like dog shit. could it be... 2087824411

I'm mostly going by my Gut and here is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az_pvRSElI8

Who do these 2 remind you of?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 5:26 am

Oh I agree, we don't have a lot to go off of at this point. Definitely want to see what Rudolph does going out there starting against better quality defensive players. Same with Hodges, I'd like them to give him a more serious look as well.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 8:04 pm

will see more Saturday Night when Rudolph starts and a lot more starter start on both teams in this game.

solardave

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 11:45 am

@effyou515 wrote:
will see more Saturday Night when Rudolph starts and a lot more starter start on both teams in this game.

Yeah you're right. A little more competition on both sides of the ball. For maybe a quarter.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 5:15 pm

@solardave wrote:

i noticed something in that video that most will overlook. re watch it and look at how he reacts after those plays. he is not dancing and acting like a fool, it cuts off in most videos but on several of the plays he simply hands the ball to the ref. could it be... 184121345
Back to top Go down
effyou515

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 6:20 pm

@solardave wrote:

i noticed something in that video that most will overlook.  re watch it and look at how he reacts after those plays.  he is not dancing and acting like a fool, it cuts off in most videos but on several of the plays he simply hands the ball to the ref.  could it be... 184121345

I saw the hand the ball to the ref. could it be... 184121345 imo Rudolph and Washington got to the point in college that their reads were made at the line of scrimmage.

if those two can do that in the pros they both be in Pittsburgh for some time. this season wanting Ben JUJU and Washington to have big years with runningback play mixed in to keep opposing defenses honest and close out games.

kirklandrules

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 6:03 pm

hmmmm could it be... 3135543967 ...i see some of you suggesting he felt pressure and nerves from his new star receiver teammates , but not from the future hall of fame QB who had a habit of critiquing his teammates in public. god only knows what Ben says at practice. not saying his other star powered teammates had didn't contribute to his rookie nerves.
i just think he felt more confident and relaxed catching passes and playing with teammates he is probably more comfortable with, those lesser known players. especially Mason who he already has a bond with.

Yeah, I agree with you MOP. When a legend publicly dumps on you, it has to be hard to keep your focus. Confidence is probably the biggest ingredient for an athlete's success in just about every sport, at every level of play. Ben should keep that in mind as he works with his teammates. Instead of calling out a rookie, how about watching game film with the guy and letting him know what works and what doesn't. More of an attitude of: "Next time we run that play, make your break on the post deeper and I can hit you in open space. You'll have a TD, rookie, instead of me having an INT.". Hell, Ben even admits he's a stickler for having his receivers understand his particular habits (every great QB does). He should also know a rookie isn't going to walk in the door knowing exactly what he wants on every single play, while also learning the playbook, having new teammates, being in a new city/environment. So dumping on a rookie only sets him back ... lesson learned, now move on.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 6:16 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you MOP. When a legend publicly dumps on you, it has to be hard to keep your focus. Confidence is probably the biggest ingredient for an athlete's success in just about every sport, at every level of play. Ben should keep that in mind as he works with his teammates. Instead of calling out a rookie, how about watching game film with the guy and letting him know what works and what doesn't. More of an attitude of: "Next time we run that play, make your break on the post deeper and I can hit you in open space. You'll have a TD, rookie, instead of me having an INT.". Hell, Ben even admits he's a stickler for having his receivers understand his particular habits (every great QB does). He should also know a rookie isn't going to walk in the door knowing exactly what he wants on every single play, while also learning the playbook, having new teammates, being in a new city/environment. So  dumping on a rookie only sets him back ... lesson learned, now move on.

yep, there's criticism and there is CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. criticism a person that is not even around and hear's it second hand is the opposite of constructive.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 5:36 am

@kirklandrules wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you MOP. When a legend publicly dumps on you, it has to be hard to keep your focus. Confidence is probably the biggest ingredient for an athlete's success in just about every sport, at every level of play. Ben should keep that in mind as he works with his teammates. Instead of calling out a rookie, how about watching game film with the guy and letting him know what works and what doesn't. More of an attitude of: "Next time we run that play, make your break on the post deeper and I can hit you in open space. You'll have a TD, rookie, instead of me having an INT.". Hell, Ben even admits he's a stickler for having his receivers understand his particular habits (every great QB does). He should also know a rookie isn't going to walk in the door knowing exactly what he wants on every single play, while also learning the playbook, having new teammates, being in a new city/environment. So  dumping on a rookie only sets him back ... lesson learned, now move on.

I want to believe Ben did learn a lesson there. This year he seems to be a more positive leader. Maybe he sees the window closing and realizes that if he wants to be a first ballot he needs these guys to get there. Even with the press he seems more relaxed. Now all he has to do is cancel his radio show and focus on the task at hand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

could it be... Empty
PostSubject: Re: could it be...   could it be... Empty

Back to top Go down

could it be...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: