HomeSteelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share
 

 Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Posts : 17976
Likes : 1548
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 2:21 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Benny Snell football does not impress me in the slightest. take the numbers off the uniforms and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between Snell and edmunds.

Agreed. So far, I haven't seen anything special about Snell. Not even a hint. Heck, I thought Malik Williams looked better than Snell.

My players of the game were Dupree and Diontae Johnson, who got robbed by a horrible PI call on his first TD.

Washington and Rudolph looked good. I don't know if Hodges will ever make it in the league ... he's facing weak competition right now ... but he seems to have that "it" factor a QB needs, even if he lacks the size.. We still have areas of concern, but QB depth isn't one of them.

The defense, still without a lot of starters, looked better than last week, mostly because of Dupree and Watt.

_________________
Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Juju10

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 953
Likes : 379
Join date : 2011-04-08

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 6:30 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Benny Snell football does not impress me in the slightest. take the numbers off the uniforms and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between Snell and edmunds.

Agreed. So far, I haven't seen anything special about Snell. Not even a hint. Heck, I thought Malik Williams looked better than Snell.

My players of the game were Dupree and Diontae Johnson, who got robbed by a horrible PI call on his first TD.

Washington and Rudolph looked good. I don't know if Hodges will ever make it in the league ... he's facing weak competition right now ... but he seems to have that "it" factor a QB needs, even if he lacks the size.. We still have areas of concern, but QB depth isn't one of them.

The defense, still without a lot of starters, looked better than last week, mostly because of Dupree and Watt.
i vioced my displeasure here when they used the 4th on Snell... i had never even seen him play. my judgement came from his stats and his combine numbers. his college stats you say ? they were great . exactly...but there were several backs chosen before the steelers picked him. now ask yourself why , then look at his combine numbers. they look like a 260lb TE numbers, not a 224lb running backs...4.66 forty ? Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 1505004552 ...then you think to yourself , well he is a power back, a short yardage specialist... has his preseason game film suggest he is a pile mover ? looked to me like it doesn't. in fact it looks like he goes down to easy. he may be cheaper than Ridley, but i just don't see him being an upgrade. in fact if they were roster cutting now, he would be at the top of my list. but hey there's two more games, sooooo we'll see.


Last edited by Master_Of_Puppets on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

Posts : 809
Likes : 559
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : Gulf Coast

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 6:31 pm

I think that Spencer will take Ryan Switzer's spot. His returns are better and that speed would be nice to have in some sets.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 953
Likes : 379
Join date : 2011-04-08

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 7:53 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Benny Snell football does not impress me in the slightest. take the numbers off the uniforms and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between Snell and edmunds.

. I don't know if Hodges will ever make it in the league ... he's facing weak competition right now ... but he seems to have that "it" factor a QB needs, even if he lacks the size.. We still have areas of concern, but QB depth isn't one of them.

The defense, still without a lot of starters, looked better than last week, mostly because of Dupree and Watt.

honestly i think the only thing hodges is lacking is arm strength. he doesn't have much zip on the ball.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Posts : 17976
Likes : 1548
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 am

@Lokki wrote:
I think that Spencer will take Ryan Switzer's spot.  His returns are better and that speed would be nice to have in some sets.  

Agreed. Aside from his special teams play, he could be a nice weapon to have on offense. I don't know if he has the hands, but he has the speed.

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
then you think to yourself , well he is a power back, a short yardage specialist... has his preseason game film suggest he is a pile mover ? looked to me like it doesn't. in fact it looks like he goes down to easy.

Exactly. He hasn't showed a hint of speed or power. No ability to shake tackles. And definitely no suddeness and glide. Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 2981382511

When you look at great (or even just really good) players, you saw hints of their talent long before they became great. Sometimes players show hints of talent but it doesn't materialize (Damoun Patterson from last season, for example). But you don't often see great (or really good) players who never showed hints of their potential. Snell hasn't showed any hints of his potential.

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
honestly i think the only thing hodges is lacking is arm strength. he doesn't have much zip on the ball.

I hate to keep comparing a 4th string QB to a future hall of famer (it really is silly), but I can't help but think of Brees when I watch Hodges play. A smart, accurate QB can compensate for lack of size or arm strength. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Hodges might never make an NFL roster, but my untrained eye sees something there.

_________________
Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Juju10

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 5:18 am

I agree with a lot of what was said so far. I'm disappointed in Snell. Since I live in Kentucky and UK's football program has sucked for years when better than average talent gets drafted (Dupree and Snell) the crowd goes wild and I got caught up in it. However Snell really hasn't shown anything that is NFL caliber. He made a nice STs tackle against K.C. and that's pretty much his highlight. Master pointed out that we could have picked Mack Wilson Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 2913999526 and to add insult to that he goes to the Browns.

I don't think Switzer is going anywhere this year. He's a favorite like DHB was. Spencer looks to be an upgrade at return specialist and Wally is right about the possibility of him being used at WR in certain packages.I hope they find a spot for him. I could be wrong about him replacing Switzer. It's just a feeling I have.

I think Hodges is looking at long odds to beat out Dobbs or Rudolph although I think Rudolph is the one more ready to be our #2 going forward in which case he would have to beat out Dobbs if I'm right.

I also thought Sutton Smith would be a STs add on but the fact that he isn't seeing much time on the field tells a different story.

I'm guessing that the next 2 games will tell more about who makes the 53 based on who is on the field more.
For those of you like me that are in an off market they are showing next weeks game on NBC so check your local listings.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

Posts : 809
Likes : 559
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : Gulf Coast

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 6:37 am

@solardave wrote:


I don't think Switzer is going anywhere this year. He's a favorite like DHB was. Spencer looks to be an upgrade at return specialist and  Wally is right about the possibility of him being used at WR in certain packages.I hope they find a spot for him. I could be wrong about him replacing Switzer. It's just a feeling I have.


I like Switz, but we seem to have a log jam at WR and he may be the odd man out. JuJU, Montcrief, and Washington seem to be a given. Add in Diontae Johnson and Diontae Spencer and "possibly" Johnny Holton because of his size. Switz was there mainly as a returner and occasionally in the offense. If Spencer handles the returns and is in some offensive plays, it may not leave a spot for Switzer. It will be interesting to see what happens though.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Posts : 1055
Likes : 193
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 7:50 am

My observations:

Positives:
Dupree and Burns: Former first round picks stepping up. Dupree getting to the QB, Burns with a forced fumble, a great tackle on Tyreek Hill and he was never beaten in coverage.
Layne: He bounced back from his atrocious game last week and looked decent.
Gilbert III: I believe he should make the 53 as he was looking solid as a backup ILB. Fast and good in coverage.
Skipper: Don't know if he'll make the roster, but with the injury of Ola you'll never know. He has made some splash plays the last 2 weeks.
Washington: Our best WR again, he'll be the #2.
Diontae Johnson: He looked great in his first game and would have had 2 nice TD's if it wasn't for the bogus pass interference call.
Spencer: Great as a returner.
Rudolph: Looking like he belongs in the NFL, maybe even as a future starter.
Hodges: Good enough to be a #3.
Conner: Showing that he's the best RB on our roster.
Matthew Wright: Boswell will probably remain our kicker, but if Wright keeps making all of his field goals, maybe we can trade him for a late round pick.

Negatives:

Juju: Hate to say it because he's my favourite player, but he never managed to get any separation even when he wasn't double teamed. I assume because he wasn't focused because of the loss of coach Drake. People always react differently to such situations.
Moncrief: 1 easy catch and he fumbled the ball. Invisible the rest of the game.
Our TE group: McDonald had a fumble, Grimble dropped a pass wide open for a first down, Raden with 2 costly holding calls on 3rd down. This unit needs to improve.
O-line: Too many holding calls, too much pressure on our QB's especially when playing against the starters, no running lanes.
Benny Snell: Benny Football just as Johnny Football looking like he doesn't have a place in the NFL. Wasted 4th round pick imo. I think you can find a better RB#3 when cuts are made by other teams. No speed, no power.
Dobbs: A bad throw in the redzone leading to an interception. Could be the odd man out when Steelers can find a trading partner if they decided to trade him.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Posts : 6449
Likes : 438
Join date : 2011-04-04

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 8:16 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
My observations:

Positives:
Dupree and Burns: Former first round picks stepping up. Dupree getting to the QB, Burns with a forced fumble, a great tackle on Tyreek Hill and he was never beaten in coverage.
Layne: He bounced back from his atrocious game last week and looked decent.
Gilbert III: I believe he should make the 53 as he was looking solid as a backup ILB. Fast and good in coverage.
Skipper: Don't know if he'll make the roster, but with the injury of Ola you'll never know. He has made some splash plays the last 2 weeks.
Washington: Our best WR again, he'll be the #2.
Diontae Johnson: He looked great in his first game and would have had 2 nice TD's if it wasn't for the bogus pass interference call.
Spencer: Great as a returner.
Rudolph: Looking like he belongs in the NFL, maybe even as a future starter.
Hodges: Good enough to be a #3.
Conner: Showing that he's the best RB on our roster.
Matthew Wright: Boswell will probably remain our kicker, but if Wright keeps making all of his field goals, maybe we can trade him for a late round pick.

Negatives:

Juju: Hate to say it because he's my favourite player, but he never managed to get any separation even when he wasn't double teamed. I assume because he wasn't focused because of the loss of coach Drake. People always react differently to such situations.
Moncrief: 1 easy catch and he fumbled the ball. Invisible the rest of the game.
Our TE group: McDonald had a fumble, Grimble dropped a pass wide open for a first down, Raden with 2 costly holding calls on 3rd down. This unit needs to improve.
O-line: Too many holding calls, too much pressure on our QB's especially when playing against the starters, no running lanes.
Benny Snell: Benny Football just as Johnny Football looking like he doesn't have a place in the NFL. Wasted 4th round pick imo. I think you can find a better RB#3 when cuts are made by other teams. No speed, no power.
Dobbs: A bad throw in the redzone leading to an interception. Could be the odd man out when Steelers can find a trading partner if they decided to trade him.

I appreciate the observations. I have only gotten to watch a quarter and a quarter of a quarter (preseason has never really been my thing). I was really hoping that Benny Snell would be good to decent but that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

I'm just hoping we get through this preseason with no injuries because it seems like this team is more of a cohesive group than in years past.

_________________
Twitter:  @SteelersYak
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Posts : 17976
Likes : 1548
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 11:04 am

@Lokki wrote:
I like Switz, but we seem to have a log jam at WR and he may be the odd man out.  JuJU, Montcrief, and Washington seem to be a given.  Add in Diontae Johnson and Diontae Spencer and "possibly" Johnny Holton because of his size. Switz was there mainly as a returner and occasionally in the offense.  If Spencer handles the returns and is in some offensive plays, it may not leave a spot for Switzer.  It will be interesting to see what happens though.  

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen anything in Moncrief to get excited about. You're right that he's penciled in as the No. 2 or 3 receiver, but when I look at him, I see another Justin Hunter.
--------------------------------------------------

Related but unrelated comment ...

We all have opinions ... that's the whole point of the forum. And it's fun to look back years later and see how wrong we were about certain players/topics. I take a certain amount of pride in being as wrong as wrong can be when I said early on that AB wouldn't cut it as a No. 1 receiver. Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 1664291743  

It's hard to not believe what we're seeing with our own eyes sometimes, but I try to keep remembering that what we see in preseason isn't always 100 percent accurate. If I was watching JuJu play for the first time this year, I'd probably be thinking, "Wow, this guy sucks. He can't even get open. And he dropped the only catchable ball thrown to him."

_________________
Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Juju10

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.


Last edited by Wallace108 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Lokki wrote:
I like Switz, but we seem to have a log jam at WR and he may be the odd man out.  JuJU, Montcrief, and Washington seem to be a given.  Add in Diontae Johnson and Diontae Spencer and "possibly" Johnny Holton because of his size. Switz was there mainly as a returner and occasionally in the offense.  If Spencer handles the returns and is in some offensive plays, it may not leave a spot for Switzer.  It will be interesting to see what happens though.  

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen anything in Moncrief to get excited about. You're right that he's penciled in as the No. 2 or 3 receiver, but when I look at him, I see another Justin Hunter.I was thinking the same thing about him.

Related but unrelated comment ...

We all have opinions ... that's the whole point of the forum. And it's fun to look back years later and see how wrong we were about certain players/topics. I take a certain amount of pride in being as wrong as wrong can be when I said early on that AB wouldn't cut it as a No. 1 receiver. Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 1664291743 Don't be so hard on yourself Wally. As it turns out you were just ahead of your time. Just ask Gruden and Mayock Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 2981382511  

It's hard to not believe what we're seeing with our own eyes sometimes, but I try to keep remembering that what we see in preseason isn't always 100 percent accurate. If I was watching JuJu play for the first time this year, I'd probably be thinking, "Wow, this guy sucks. He can't even get open. And he dropped the only catchable ball thrown to him."

I won't be surprised to see Spencer take Moncrief's spot on the 53.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Posts : 17976
Likes : 1548
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 12:12 pm

This is unrelated to the game, but since we've been talking a lot about Hodges in this thread ... I just stumbled across this camp analysis from Steelers Depot ...

Quote :
Devlin Hodges’ 71.4% completion rate is the best camp rate we have EVER tracked. He’s the first to crack the 70% mark. The top numbers.

1. Devlin Hodges (2019): 71.4%
2. Ben Roethlisberger (2015): 69.7%
3. Landry Jones (2016): 68.6%
4. Ben Roethlisberger (2014): 67.6%
5. Ben Roethlisberger (2016): 67.5%

You’d think having that high of a completion percentage would curtail his yards per completion but Hodges paced all the quarterbacks there, too. Combination of efficiency and aggressiveness. This is why the team has taken such a long look at him inside stadiums. What a camp he had.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/2019-steelers-training-camp-stats-all-14-practices/

_________________
Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Juju10

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 953
Likes : 379
Join date : 2011-04-08

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 12:32 pm

does anyone know if they could cut moncrief before the season without taking a hit ? he is a 5 million dollar cap hit this year. i thought it was just foolish to sign him and then use a 3rd to take another receiver.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 953
Likes : 379
Join date : 2011-04-08

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 12:38 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
This is unrelated to the game, but since we've been talking a lot about Hodges in this thread ... I just stumbled across this camp analysis from Steelers Depot ...

Quote :
Devlin Hodges’ 71.4% completion rate is the best camp rate we have EVER tracked. He’s the first to crack the 70% mark. The top numbers.

1. Devlin Hodges (2019): 71.4%
2. Ben Roethlisberger (2015): 69.7%
3. Landry Jones (2016): 68.6%
4. Ben Roethlisberger (2014): 67.6%
5. Ben Roethlisberger (2016): 67.5%

You’d think having that high of a completion percentage would curtail his yards per completion but Hodges paced all the quarterbacks there, too. Combination of efficiency and aggressiveness. This is why the team has taken such a long look at him inside stadiums. What a camp he had.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/2019-steelers-training-camp-stats-all-14-practices/
seeing landry jones on that list, doesn't make me more confident in hodges . Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 1797695198

by the way, i seen where landry jones signed to play in the XFL. in other words no other NFL team thinks he is good enough to be a backup. this happens often with steeler backups. thats why i gripe so often about them keeping certain players that fail to show improvement around for too long. for example Dan McCullers.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Posts : 17976
Likes : 1548
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 1:06 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
seeing landry jones on that list, doesn't make me more confident in hodges . Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 1797695198

I knew that wouldn't go unnoticed. Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 1797695198

Yeah, a lot of players look great in camp but then fizzle. Looking at the big picture, it's clear that Hodges impressed them enough in camp to earn more attention in preseason games. After just 2 games, Hodges looked better than Landry ever did in preseason. I'd also add that Hodges looks better in his first preaseason action than either Rudolph or Dobbs looked in their first games as rookies.

_________________
Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Juju10

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Posts : 1055
Likes : 193
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 2:15 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Lokki wrote:
I like Switz, but we seem to have a log jam at WR and he may be the odd man out.  JuJU, Montcrief, and Washington seem to be a given.  Add in Diontae Johnson and Diontae Spencer and "possibly" Johnny Holton because of his size. Switz was there mainly as a returner and occasionally in the offense.  If Spencer handles the returns and is in some offensive plays, it may not leave a spot for Switzer.  It will be interesting to see what happens though.  

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen anything in Moncrief to get excited about. You're right that he's penciled in as the No. 2 or 3 receiver, but when I look at him, I see another Justin Hunter.
--------------------------------------------------

Related but unrelated comment ...

We all have opinions ... that's the whole point of the forum. And it's fun to look back years later and see how wrong we were about certain players/topics. I take a certain amount of pride in being as wrong as wrong can be when I said early on that AB wouldn't cut it as a No. 1 receiver. Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 1664291743  

It's hard to not believe what we're seeing with our own eyes sometimes, but I try to keep remembering that what we see in preseason isn't always 100 percent accurate. If I was watching JuJu play for the first time this year, I'd probably be thinking, "Wow, this guy sucks. He can't even get open. And he dropped the only catchable ball thrown to him."

I'm not high on Moncrief either. It's a relieve that Washington has stepped up and that guys like Johnson look promising, but a quality veteran could help this group. And yes, we always live in the now when evaluating players to often find out we weren't right after all Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Posts : 4432
Likes : 669
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 2:38 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
does anyone know if they could cut moncrief before the season without taking a hit ? he is a 5 million dollar cap hit this year. i thought it was just foolish to sign him and then use a 3rd to take another receiver.

Yeah I can't figure out what they were thinking when they signed him. I would guess his 5 million would count. It's for sure they didn't see this coming with Spencer and Johnson. Why in the hell didn't they wait until after the draft.I mean we had 10 picks.
Did they honestly think Moncrief would be that good for us?
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

Posts : 809
Likes : 559
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : Gulf Coast

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
does anyone know if they could cut moncrief before the season without taking a hit ? he is a 5 million dollar cap hit this year. i thought it was just foolish to sign him and then use a 3rd to take another receiver.

Yeah I can't figure out what they were thinking when they signed him. I would guess his 5 million would count. It's for sure they didn't see this coming with Spencer and Johnson. Why in the hell didn't they wait until after the draft.I mean we had 10 picks.
Did they honestly think Moncrief would be that good for us?

My only guess is the veteran presence. JuJu is great, but he is still young. Add in all of the other young guys at WR, aside from Switz and they probably wanted someone that has been around for a while and wasn't a drama queen. I still think that they over paid for him though.

Have they said who is replacing Coach Drake?
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 953
Likes : 379
Join date : 2011-04-08

Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 9:57 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
does anyone know if they could cut moncrief before the season without taking a hit ? he is a 5 million dollar cap hit this year. i thought it was just foolish to sign him and then use a 3rd to take another receiver.

Yeah I can't figure out what they were thinking when they signed him. I would guess his 5 million would count. It's for sure they didn't see this coming with Spencer and Johnson. Why in the hell didn't they wait until after the draft.I mean we had 10 picks.
Did they honestly think Moncrief would be that good for us?

it was obviously a knee jerk panic move ,because of a combination of things. 1- losing brown...2- washington having a non stellar rookie year....3- not having a seasoned vet in the line up.

JUJU set the bar high for rookie receivers. when washington didn't reach that bar, they must have forgotten most rookies don't.

though that is still no excuse for using a high 3rd on another receiver.

i got nothing against moncrief. he may have a good season for them. he has good size and fair speed. could be a good #3 , while johnson finds his feet. i just thought it was a misuse of a high pick since they gave one away , and it would have been wiser to use it on pass rusher like winovich instead of paying Dupree. don't let a few preseason sacks get you too excited about Dupree.even if he has more sacks this year, that just causes more problems on how to properly compensate him with a new contract.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)   Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Steelers vs. Chiefs game thread (preseason week 2)
Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: