HomeUnprepared Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Unprepared

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 1:18 am

does anyone beside myself think that giving the starters so few reps in the sake of avoiding injury a negative for preparing players for the beginning of the season ? i mean these guys on sunday looked like they never even practiced. between the cup cake practices and the lack of scrimmage time (preseason), it is know wonder they are so sluggish and out of sync. Moncrief needs to spend 8 hrs a day in front of a jugs machine. boy he sure was money well spent ... Unprepared 1505004552
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 6:50 am

It's not only a Steelers' problem. Most teams let their starters rest during preseason, if you read reactions of fans of other teams you always read the same frustrations about their teams being unprepared due to the lack of play during preseason. Even the Patriots* normally suffer in September, not this year of course...
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 1:46 am

I'm tired of this team being unprepared. We have a lot of veteran talent on this team, there's no excuse for them being rusty and unprepared. New England damn sure didn't look unprepared when they gave us a spanking on Sunday. To me, this is not acceptable. It's a trademark of Tomlin teams to come out looking like shit right out of the gates, along with playing down against terrible, less talented teams.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 6:27 am

Eliminate the preseason and go to an 18 game schedule. And fire both coordinators.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 6:50 am

@solardave wrote:
Eliminate the preseason and go to an 18 game schedule. And fire both coordinators.

Or maybe just let the vets get more playing time in preseason, that or scrimmage against actual teams in practice during the preseason so you can be better prepared.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 10:57 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

Or maybe just let the vets get more playing time in preseason, that or scrimmage against actual teams in practice during the preseason so you can be better prepared.

It's pretty obvious they won't play vets in the preseason because of injury issues. Seems to me they are more prone to injury being OUT OF SHAPE.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 am

I rather them be healthy vs. rusty. I'll take a silly loss in the first few weeks vs losing a player for part or the whole season

Quest For Seven
Mach1

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 12:45 pm

This is why they will never sniff another superbowl as long as Tomlin is coach.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Mack: Tomlin "Not Ready For Primetime"

Belichick, Brady and Pats* Prepared... Steelers? Not So Much

CHRIS MACK
SEPTEMBER 09, 2019

For the better part of the last two decades, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been going to New England and getting punished for not doing their homework. After a 33-3 drubbing at the hands of the Patriots* on Sunday night in Foxboro, there's no shortage of blame to go around. Especially after the way the Steelers were bent over Tom Brady's knee and spanked for a sixth time in six meetings in Foxboro.

The play-calling - especially in short yardage situations - was infuriating. The quarterback was off target often and when he did get it to his #2 wide receiver, the ball was dropped faster than you could mutter "Good grief, (Donte) Moncrief." Kameron Kelly looked every bit the part of a defensive back who was in the Alliance of American Football five months ago. The two biggest additions to the defense's supposed speed improvement, Mark Barron and Devin Bush, looked old & slow and young & inexperienced, respectively.

to read rest of article:

https://937thefan.radio.com/blogs/chris-mack/mack-tomlin-not-ready-primetime
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 4:55 pm

@SteelersYak wrote:
I rather them be healthy vs. rusty. I'll take a silly loss in the first few weeks vs losing a player for part or the whole season

Would you take 2 more? Seattle is a pretty good team. I know we seem to play down to inferior teams like the 49ers who we play after we lose to Russel Wilson.
If we had at least showed up and got beat by them I'd be OK. No one showed up. Not coaches or players so yeah. Everyone's safe in that respect.

No offense Yak but I can't agree. They get paid to win or at least make an effort.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 5:22 pm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27595215/steelers-moncrief-play-finger-injury

All the more reason to believe we will be bitching more.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 pm

It's not just the preseason games, it's the multiple days off from practice the vets get. Brady is known for working his tail off in practices. Ben, not so much. And it showed, Ben sucked. The O-line sucked. They were out hussled and out muscled all night.

For anyone who thinks they'd rather have slow starts to the season than risk injury, my response is to try that concept tomorrow at work. "I drink coffee in the breakroom until 10:30, because I might not make it to Friday afternoon with all that carpal tunnel risk going on in Corporate America these days".

And I don't buy the Moncrief "I'm not using my finger injury as an excuse, even though my finger is my excuse" b.s.. He sucked, plain and simple. Watch the tape. He didn't extend his arms to catch the ball, he didn't move his body (step toward the ball), he didn't adjust his route to the ball. I can tell him where he can stick that finger.

OP is right on with this thread. Football is not a sport you go into unprepared. Belichick is laughing as he says "... and we didn't even have to cheat!".
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Why put players out there to risk injury in a game that means nothing? Those guys are professional football players and they got outplayed in everyv single part of the game. I don't think playing a preseason game was the remedy to that because you can't simulate being in that atmosphere like they were in on Sunday night.

SteelerFreak58

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 pm

Unprepared continues to explain so much of the last few years of Tomlins coaching tenure it boggles the mind.

OUT COACHED, OUT SCHEMED, OUT PLAYED, OUT MATCHED. The same issues year in and year out... unable to adjust at any point in the game, unwilling to replace struggling players, allowing the opposition to pick apart weak areas based on players on the field.

Vince Williams trying to cover Josh Gordon... WTF? WTF? WTF?

Said it last year fire Butler he is worthless, Fitchner better start putting up some big numbers, still cant understand why Monceief played so much and wasnt replaced.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 12:43 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
does anyone beside myself think that giving the starters so few reps in the sake of avoiding injury a negative for preparing players for the beginning of the season ? i mean these guys on sunday looked like they never even practiced. between the cup cake practices and the lack of scrimmage time (preseason), it is know wonder they are so sluggish and out of sync.  

I've been screaming this from the mountaintop for years. It's like they use Week 1 as their 5th preseason game. Week 1 is the game where they start to shake off the rust and get on the same page. That's why 2 years ago they struggled to beat a Browns team that went 0-16; last year they tied a pre-Baker Browns team; and this year got their asses handed to them by the Patriots*. I guarantee that if they played the Patriots* in Week 2 or 3, it would have been a much different game. Watch how much better they look this week.

@SteelersYak wrote:
Why put players out there to risk injury in a game that means nothing?

Sure, the games don't count, but I wouldn't say they mean nothing. It's the first time in half a year that players are playing at full game speed and facing real game situations. You can't simulate that in training camp.

As for the risk of injury, every year we see players get injured in training camp, yet they're expected to show up and participate. And realistically, there's no difference if a player gets injured in the 4th preseason game or in Week 1. Even though we might get angry that a player got hurt in a "meaningless" game, the impact of his loss is no different than if the injury occurred in Week 1. For example, look at the season ending injury suffered by Raiders safety Jonathan Abram in Week 1. How would the injury have impacted the team any differently if the same injury had occured in the preseason?

With that said, I don't think starters should be playing A LOT in preseason. Just enough to shake off the rust and get on the same page.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 1:17 pm

I remember back when the starters would usually play the first qtr then in the last preseason game they'd play the first half.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm

@Mach1 wrote:
I remember back when the starters would usually play the first qtr then in the last preseason game they'd play the first half.

I remember blasting the starting offense and defense for looking bad in preseason games, then have to remind myself that it was preseason and they were using vanilla schemes. Then they'd come out Week 1 and look totally different.

Now you don't even get a chance to judge them because they play about 2 total drives in 4 preseason games. The offense and defense we saw against the Patriots* looked like what we used to see in preseason. For example, by halftime Ben through only about 2 passes beyond 10 yards. Every pass was a short route or dump-off. That's a sign of a QB and offense trying to get in synch. That's what preseason is for.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Yep use to piss me off too. Then it'd dawn on me the games don't count. lol

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 10:22 pm

i get being cautious about injuries, but when the team comes out playing like they haven't even seen a football since last year, it is time to throw caution to the wind. anyone of them could have been injured on the very first play of the game, so what is the difference ? im not advocating for major changes in playing time for the vets , but throwing a dozen or so passes by the starting offense just isnt cutting it . you cant simulate real game conditions in practice. that is why in high school we played scrimmage games against other teams to see something different and match up against different people.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 9:58 am

so how many weeks is this team going to come out "Unprepared"?

This is down right embarrassing. Not the losses per se, but the way in which they happen.

I honestly feel like the 80's are about to hit this team again.

Is it time for a complete fire sale on the coaching staff?

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Unprepared 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 11:29 am

Butler isn't a true DC, Fitchner got the OC job because Ben wanted it that way he had zero experience, we lost a hall of fame O-Line coach and filled it with someone that never played in the NFL. You get what you get when you promote people that may or may not be ready for the job.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 12:40 pm

With Ben done for the year, now we won't have to complain that the starting QB didn't get enough work in the preseason.

Going back to a point I made earlier, would our situation be any different if this had happened to Ben in a preseason game instead of the first half of Week 2?

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 2:47 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
With Ben done for the year, now we won't have to complain that the starting QB didn't get enough work in the preseason.

Going back to a point I made earlier, would our situation be any different if this had happened to Ben in a preseason game instead of the first half of Week 2?
i put that scenario in my post above, but i said the first play of the season... close enough . he played like garbage for almost 6 quarters then got hurt. had he gotten hurt in preseason instead, at least rudolf would have gotten more first team reps Unprepared 2087824411
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 3:18 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:

i put that scenario in my post above, but i said the first play of the season... close enough . he played like garbage for almost 6 quarters then got hurt. had he gotten hurt in preseason instead, at least rudolf would have gotten more first team reps  Unprepared 2087824411

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind as well.

The point stands though. Getting hurt in a preseason game is no worse than getting hurt early in the season. And I still believe that shaking off the rust and getting on the same page in preseason outweighs the risk of injury.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Ben was already injured before the game, maybe even before the Patriots*' game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Unprepared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unprepared   Unprepared Empty

Back to top Go down

Unprepared
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: