HomeDevlin Hodges Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Devlin Hodges

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
effyou515

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 4:55 pm

could Duck be a better QB the Rudolph? I like the small sample that I saw.

IowaSteeler927

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 4:57 pm

@effyou515 wrote:

Hodges has flashed talent but Rudolph was looking pretty damned good prior to that shitbag Earl Thomas headhunting him. We've got good young talent at the QB position. If we could quit committing stupid mistakes we'd of won today.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
LambertWardSteel

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 7:28 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

Hodges has flashed talent but Rudolph was looking pretty damned good prior to that shitbag Earl Thomas headhunting him. We've got good young talent at the QB position. If we could quit committing stupid mistakes we'd of won today.

Yeah, agreed. It would have been awesome to beat the rats with 2 rookies at QB. I thought Rudolph very good today and was shocked at how well Hodges did.

Wallace108

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 8:51 pm

I mentioned this in the game thread, but I'll mention it again. I don't understand why they handcuffed Rudolph and then allowed Hodges to drop back and sling it. We still haven't seen Rudolph without the training wheels.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
jak341

jak341

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 pm

I wonder if the answer is: the coaching staff knows what Rudolph is without training wheels, which is why they are keeping them on?

One thing I see about Rudolph is the lack of being able to hit recievers in stride. And his deep ball is off target more than not.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 9:00 pm

@jak341 wrote:
I wonder if the answer is: the coaching staff knows what Rudolph is without training wheels, which is why they are keeping them on?

Possibly. But if that's the case, he shouldn't have been the backup. What we saw last week is the kind of gimmicky offense you'd expect if they had to go to the emergency QB. If they don't have the confidence in Rudolph to run the offense, then why make him No. 2 and trade Dobbs?

Obviously, the offense is going to be scaled back when the backup comes in. But we didn't see them do anything drastic when Landry Jones came in. If they don't think Rudolph is at least as capable as Landry, then again ... why is he the backup?

I see 2 possibilities ...

1. Rudolph isn't good enough to be the backup and it was a poor coaching decision to make him one.

2. Rudolph is good enough to be the backup quarterback and it's a poor coaching decision to handcuff him.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 9:10 pm

I think Fitchner comes out in the first quarter slow and conservative. He tries crrtain things and has tendencies. He shouldnt have tried the Wildcat he should have known the Ravens had answers. He took off the cuffs and MR went down the field and got 7 pretty quickly and did well until the injury. Hodges came in and they were playing from behind and couldn't cuff him.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 9:37 pm

Think back to that series where the Steelers were inside the Baltimore 20. It was 2nd and 1. Fitchner ran a wildcat on that play. Of all the things to run. Here is what I would have run:
  • Conner up the middle.
  • Conner around the end.
  • Roudolph under center and the TE over the middle.
  • Roudolph under center to a WR on a slant or cross.
  • If you want to be clever, a play action with a 3 step drop to whomever is open, or a check down.

The first 3 are high percentage plays to get the first and continue the drive. The last is a roll of the dice. The wildcat is a play that can go sideways too often.

Last edited by jak341 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 9:05 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

Possibly. But if that's the case, he shouldn't have been the backup. What we saw last week is the kind of gimmicky offense you'd expect if they had to go to the emergency QB. If they don't have the confidence in Rudolph to run the offense, then why make him No. 2 and trade Dobbs?

Obviously, the offense is going to be scaled back when the backup comes in. But we didn't see them do anything drastic when Landry Jones came in. If they don't think Rudolph is at least as capable as Landry, then again ... why is he the backup?

I see 2 possibilities ...

1. Rudolph isn't good enough to be the backup and it was a poor coaching decision to make him one.

2. Rudolph is good enough to be the backup quarterback and it's a poor coaching decision to handcuff him.

I think it's all of the above.Here's why.
I think they think Rudolph is not good enough and like other bad moves they think they screwed up again.So it's a cover up they think.
I think Rudolph is good enough to at least be a backup and Fitchner is an idiot.
The only way to find out how good he can be,what his ceiling is, is to go back to the same play book they used before Ben got hurt. Scratch that because it sucked too. Ask him what he wants to see as far as plays. Give the man some damn respect.
Look. If your HC has taken over defensive play calling why do you need a DC? If your OC can't scheme except to install gadget plays what good is he? And last but not least if your HC can't figure out WHY this shit ain't working what good is he?
Let's face it. We have 1 win against a pretty shitty team and even though we were "in" 3 of the other 4 we still lost. On paper we are a better team than our record shows but on the field we can't compete and since the overall attitude of this team is pretty good the arrow points at our game plan. You can get guys ready and they have to perform but if you have a lousy plan you LOOOOSE.
Back to top Go down
Feltdizz
Xtreme Newb

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 11:12 am

Rudolph is ok. He is just being a little too conservative underneath for my taste.

Also remember we aren’t getting blown out with Mason under center. He’s faced a few tough teams and we have always been close enough to win. IMO it’s the #1 WR and #1 RB who haven’t played up to their capabilities.
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 1:08 pm

I'd rather see bubble screen than the wild cat again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 1:16 pm

@Mach1 wrote:

Oh, man that's a helluva throw back to misery.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Devlin Hodges 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 6:07 pm

@Mach1 wrote:
throwing bubble screens out of the wildcat formation. Devlin Hodges 1797695198

SteelerFreak58

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 6:39 pm

Dont give Fitchner any ideas....
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 11:45 pm

i gotta say, i REALLY like the looks of that alabamA QB. he throws a nice tight spiral on a rope. i think he is the next patrick mahomes like quality QB to come in to the NFL....you heard it here first. Devlin Hodges 131212936
if the steelers can keep sucking , he could be ours ... Devlin Hodges 1797695198
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 3:15 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i gotta say, i REALLY like the looks of that alabamA QB. he throws a nice tight spiral on a rope. i think he is the next patrick mahomes like quality QB to come in to the NFL....you heard it here first. Devlin Hodges 131212936
if the steelers can keep sucking , he could be ours ... Devlin Hodges 1797695198

Did you forget we don't have a first round pick? Or do you think we can get him in the 2nd?
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 pm

Good article on Hodges from Gerry Dulac

Devlin Hodges' college coach has faith if 'Duck' gets the call for Steelers

Quote :
Chris Hatcher was the quarterback coach for Daunte Culpepper at Central Florida and Tim Couch at Kentucky, a pair of former No. 1 draft picks in the National Football League. When he arrived as head coach at Samford University, his quarterback was an undersized freshman named Devlin Hodges, who, at 6-foot-1, lacked the stature of his other two prized pupils.

For the next four years, Hatcher watched Hodges grow into a record-smashing quarterback who broke the Football Championship Subdivision all-time mark for career passing yards set by Steve McNair, another former No. 1 draft pick in the NFL.

Hatcher, a former quarterback himself at Valdosta State, wasn’t totally surprised when Hodges’ size likely kept him from being one of 11 quarterback taken in the NFL draft. But he was more than surprised when Hodges wasn’t even one of 13 quarterbacks signed to a free-agent contract immediately after.

“I think he’s an NFL quarterback, I always have,” Hatcher said. “He’s a very successful and accomplished quarterback. I was very surprised at that.”

Hodges, though, might get a chance in Los Angeles to do something that none of the undrafted quarterbacks — and seven of the 11 drafted quarterbacks — have had a chance to do this season: Start an NFL game.

Coach Mike Tomlin was non-committal on Tuesday about the status of Mason Rudolph for Sunday’s prime-time game against the Chargers. Rudolph is in concussion protocol after being knocked unconscious on a hit to the head area by

Baltimore Ravens safety Earl Thomas in Sunday’s 26-23 overtime loss at Heinz Field.

When asked at his weekly news conference on the South Side if Rudolph will play if he clears concussion protocol, Tomlin said, “I’ve been at this long enough to know that I’m not a medical expert. We’ve got a great deal of confidence in our medical experts, and the independent neuro people that are involved in his process, and they’ll do their due diligence. When he’s available to us, he’s available to us.”

Hatcher has no reservations about his former quarterback being able to lead the Steelers offense, especially after watching Hodges complete 7 of 9 passes for 68 yards against the Ravens and stepping in when Rudolph was injured to finish a touchdown drive.

“The thing I’m most proud of is he was ready when his number was called,” Hatcher said on the phone from his office Tuesday. “He’s a very confident player. He has a great belief in his ability, which most really good players have.”
Tomlin used the words “awareness…savvy…moxie about him” to describe Hodges, even though he is a rookie.

“We saw that in Latrobe,” Tomlin said. “He carried that into preseason stadiums. And now he’s given us a little insight that he can carry it into regular-season stadiums. It’s all positive. I like his demeanor. I like his Steady Eddie attitude and approach to it. I think it’s an asset to him and us in the present circumstances.”

Hodges plays very much like Gardner Minschew, an undersized rookie quarterback for the Jacksonville Jaguars who had to replace injured starter Nick Foles in Week 2. They are gunslingers who play by feel as much as by mechanics. It’s no small coincidence that Minshew played in the same system at Washington State that Hatcher employed with Hodges at Samford.

“He has the natural ability to get the ball out on time and find the open receiver,” Hatcher said. “His release is phenomenal. I don’t like to use this word, but he can release it from a lot of different angles and he’s got really good arm strength.

“I was fortunate, I coached Tim Couch and Daunte Culpepper. Culpepper had a cannon of an arm, and Couch always seemed to put the ball at the right place. I think Devlin has a lot of the same intangibles that Couch had. He always had the ability to put the ball right where you can make a play.”

The Steelers haven’t won a game on the West Coast since they beat the Chargers in San Diego in 2015, a game in which the Steelers were down to their fourth quarterback, Mike Vick, because of injuries. They are 0-4 since then.

Now they get a chance to end that streak with a player who was their fourth-string quarterback at the end of training camp.

Last paragraph of article here: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/10/08/devlin-hodges-steelers-mason-rudolph-concussion-update/stories/201910080186

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 12:17 am

Its telling to me that nobody is talking about elevating Paxton Lynch from the practice squad. So if Mason can't go, would be really go with 1 QB on the roster? Says a lot about Lynch.

As for Devlin, I for one am very comfortable with him rolling as our starter. I just hope he stays healthy.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 1:12 am

@nine vegetable wrote:
Its telling to me that nobody is talking about elevating Paxton Lynch from the practice squad.  So if Mason can't go, would be really go with 1 QB on the roster?  Says a lot about Lynch.

As for Devlin, I for one am very comfortable with him rolling as our starter.  I just hope he stays healthy.

My guess is that they're waiting until midweek to know Rudolph's status. He's in concussion protocol. If he's cleared to play, which seems unlikely to me, there's no need to make a roster move. If he's not cleared, they'll bring Lynch up. Again, just a guess, but I'd think a decision would be made Wednesday. However it plays out, there's no chance of them going into a game with just one QB on the roster.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 am

First I don't think Mason will clear protocol. If he doesn't I sure hope Tomlin doesn't think Samuels can be the backup. That Int he threw last week was not only right to the defender but it was a lousy throw.
And he threw it out of the "Wildcrap". No that's not a misspelling. It's how I feel about that play.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 3:58 am

@solardave wrote:
First I don't think Mason will clear protocol. If he doesn't I sure hope Tomlin doesn't think Samuels can be the backup. That Int he threw last week was not only right to the defender but it was a lousy throw.
And he threw it out of the "Wildcrap". No that's not a misspelling. It's how I feel about that play.

Samuels had his knee scoped Monday and will be out for 4 weeks.

https://www.steelers.com/video/quick-hits-from-tomlin-press-conference-x4042
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 4:02 am

@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:

This sucks. I'm not sold on Benny Snell. Everything I've seen from him so far, looks to have zero vision, and hasn't made a single play that has stood out to me. Samuels is a swiss-army knife, losing that athleticism and flexibility hurts.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 7:58 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:

This sucks. I'm not sold on Benny Snell. Everything I've seen from him so far, looks to have zero vision, and hasn't made a single play that has stood out to me. Samuels is a swiss-army knife, losing that athleticism and flexibility hurts.

I am disappointed in Snell. I thought he'd be better. I like Samuels a lot better too as long as he doesn't throw the ball. Devlin Hodges 1797695198 Other than that I think Samuels is almost equal to Connor.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Washington out for a few weeks with a shoulder injury... sheesh when it rains it pours...
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 2:57 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Washington out for a few weeks with a shoulder injury... sheesh when it rains it pours...

Shit that means we'll probably be seeing good grief Moncrief. The other option is Holton and he doesn't impress me either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Devlin Hodges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges Empty

Back to top Go down

Devlin Hodges
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: