HomeDevlin Hodges - Page 5 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Devlin Hodges

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

Devlin Hodges - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 5 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 6:32 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@SteelersYak wrote:
I echo what everyone has said about MR not being right after coming back. Couple that with what he went through during the Browns game (on and off the field) and I think the spirit of that young man has been shattered.  

Duck can go out there and be Brett Farve-esq because what does he have to lose? I bet he never thought he'd be starting for an NFL team and moreover, one that is in playoff contention.

This offense has been titled the Steelers JV squad and I feel that is an accurate description. The awesome part is we have been able to still win games and remain competitive.

I don't know that being in "playoff contention" fits this team. Hopes of a playoff birth if the defense keeps playing like they are. Our O has been nothing short of pathetic. With Duck what you see is what you get. If Fitchner can create a game plan that fits his skill set we just might get a wildcard spot. From what I've seen of Duck I believe a moving pocket allowing him to throw on the run might suit him well. Especially since our OL is a turn style and we have had no run blocking.

This season reminds me a little of the 1989 season. Poor offense but a young, strong, D. If I remember right they were 5-6 after 11 games that year. They made the last seed and needed a ton of help to get in. It was amazing they were in at all after starting the 1st 2 games of the season being outscored 92-10.

I'm not really having any deep playoff run visions for this year, but the 1989 team was a few points shy of the AFC CG. I can still see Anderson hitting that long field goal to win the game in Houston. Back then I hated the Oilers as much as I hate the cheats and rats now. It was so awesome to beat them in Houston and stifle that stupid Houston Oilers song.

Yeah, this team isn't going anywhere. But I want them in the playoffs for the experience if nothing else. It's a young team, and if they miss the playoffs for the second straight season, there will be a lot of key players on the field next year who have never been in the playoffs. In the scenario where Ben doesn't return, only a few players on offense (linemen) have playoff experience.

Most definitely on the experience. I wrote similar in another post. Especially for the defense because I think they will be around several years. I'm not sure how many long term starter types we currently have on offense, but some of these guys should be Steelers for a little while even if it is more backup-special team types.

I also think a playoff spot this year is like a gold star for the organization. We lose top 2 QBs, FB and RB, a rebuilding WRs corp, and have a struggling OL. All that said and still make the playoffs. Teams like Cleveland picks top of the draft for 20 years and consider a 5 win season successful. Even most decent teams lose top 2 QBs and they aren't holding the 6th Wild Card going into game 12 of the season.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 30, 2019 9:48 am

If this team makes the playoffs we will have to tip our hats to Tomlin. We should already. He's been more of a manager this year, Shuffling guys all over just to patch a team together.
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 30, 2019 2:49 pm

@solardave wrote:
If this team makes the playoffs we will have to tip our hats to Tomlin. We should already. He's been more of a manager this year, Shuffling guys all over just to patch a team together.  
Right on. Most teams would be SOL right now.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 01, 2019 2:52 am

Anything can happen once you get on the floor but if you don't even go to the dance, you don't know what could have been because you don't get that chance.

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 5 EmptyToday at 11:14 am

Rookie Devlin Hodges comfortable calling audibles; Steelers giving him more freedom

But as “Duck” prepares to make his fourth NFL start Sunday, Steelers coaches are increasingly giving the undrafted rookie latitude in calling plays at the line of scrimmage.

“We have had some game plan checks and stuff and audibles that we have had in the game plan and I have executed those,” Hodges said. But then he added: “Most of the times, whatever the play is called is usually the play I am running.”

Veteran Ben Roethlisberger openly relished the opportunity to run a hurry-up offense in which he could call plays. Interestingly, Hodges said that he has done that one or two times – but he has not yet changed a play that offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner has called.

“We are trying to go as fast as we can,” Hodges said, “so we haven’t had to audible a whole lot.”

Would Hodges be comfortable doing so if the coaches let him? He did, after all, run a fast-paced spread offense at Samford.

https://triblive.com/sports/rookie-devlin-hodges-comfortable-calling-audibles-steelers-giving-him-more-freedom/

that's a good sign for a rookie with so few starts.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 5 EmptyToday at 1:27 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
Rookie Devlin Hodges comfortable calling audibles; Steelers giving him more freedom

But as “Duck” prepares to make his fourth NFL start Sunday, Steelers coaches are increasingly giving the undrafted rookie latitude in calling plays at the line of scrimmage.

“We have had some game plan checks and stuff and audibles that we have had in the game plan and I have executed those,” Hodges said. But then he added: “Most of the times, whatever the play is called is usually the play I am running.”

Veteran Ben Roethlisberger openly relished the opportunity to run a hurry-up offense in which he could call plays. Interestingly, Hodges said that he has done that one or two times – but he has not yet changed a play that offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner has called.

“We are trying to go as fast as we can,” Hodges said, “so we haven’t had to audible a whole lot.”

Would Hodges be comfortable doing so if the coaches let him? He did, after all, run a fast-paced spread offense at Samford.

https://triblive.com/sports/rookie-devlin-hodges-comfortable-calling-audibles-steelers-giving-him-more-freedom/

that's a good sign for a rookie with so few starts.

I'd like to see them loosen up the reigns. I think he can handle it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Devlin Hodges
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: