HomeDevlin Hodges - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Devlin Hodges

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
nine vegetable

Devlin Hodges - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 13, 2019 8:48 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@nine vegetable wrote:
Mason was just ruled out.

Paxton Lynch promoted to the 53, as well as Trey Edmonds.

It's Hodges game then. He reminds me a little of Jim Miller and Tommy Maddox the way he throws the ball. It'll be interesting to see what he does after a week of practice and going a full game. I'm hoping he has a big one. A big game might create a QB controversy which I think is the last thing we need with 2 young QBs.

I'm not a fan of QB controversies - it seems every time a backup QB has a decent game, people start going the QB controversy route.

However....

I really like Devlin Hodges. He's a shorter QB, and I like short QB's. I think they are way underrated most of the time. They tend to be more mobile, harder for defenders to get to, don't take the big hits and stay healthy longer. Look at Russell Wilson in Seattle for instance. He's never missed a game in 8 seasons. He was drafted in the 3rd round because of his height, otherwise he'd have been a sure-fire first rounder. There's really no downside to Russell.

I'll take the short guy.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2019 8:40 am

@nine vegetable wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@nine vegetable wrote:
Mason was just ruled out.

Paxton Lynch promoted to the 53, as well as Trey Edmonds.

It's Hodges game then. He reminds me a little of Jim Miller and Tommy Maddox the way he throws the ball. It'll be interesting to see what he does after a week of practice and going a full game. I'm hoping he has a big one. A big game might create a QB controversy which I think is the last thing we need with 2 young QBs.

I'm not a fan of QB controversies - it seems every time a backup QB has a decent game, people start going the QB controversy route.  

However....

I really like Devlin Hodges.  He's a shorter QB, and I like short QB's.  I think they are way underrated most of the time.  They tend to be more mobile, harder for defenders to get to, don't take the big hits and stay healthy longer.  Look at Russell Wilson in Seattle for instance.  He's never missed a game in 8 seasons.  He was drafted in the 3rd round because of his height, otherwise he'd have been a sure-fire first rounder.  There's really no downside to Russell.  

I'll take the short guy.

I don't think there will be a controversy. For the record I'm a Duck fan. I believe Mason is the man this year if teams don't take a page out of Thomas' book and go head hunting. I think we can win with either one.
I hope next camp they have a serious competition for the starting QB job,including Ben. May the best man win.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Devlin Hodges - Page 3 6qkQSv2
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 11:30 am

Tomlin said Mason is the starting QB when he gets back.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1184488979288203264?s=19
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 12:53 pm

As he should be.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Devlin Hodges - Page 3 M_5adcf5e5739d48652ab8be12
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 5:16 am

@jak341 wrote:
Tomlin said Mason is the starting QB when he gets back.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1184488979288203264?s=19

I love Duck but it's mind boggling to me that there is a contingent of fans clamoring for Duck to be the starter over Rudolph. Rudolph has played quite well this season, and hasn't made stupid mistakes. He was steadily improving as well. There's just no QB controversy, not in my book. Unless Rudolph completely falls off and starts costing the team games.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Duck is the classic underdog story and some fans love that. He is a good back up behind Rudolph but we have to find out if MR is the guy to take over BBs job duties or not. We simply cannot allow doubt in his head and I like hiw Tomlin has handled the questions about it. Hands down MR is the guy. There is no story... no controversy... period.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 2:43 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Duck is the classic underdog story and some fans love that. He is a good back up behind Rudolph but we have to find out if MR is the guy to take over BBs job duties or not. We simply cannot allow doubt in his head and I like hiw Tomlin has handled the questions about it. Hands down MR is the guy. There is no story... no controversy... period.

My thought exactly. It's bad Ben went down but here is something to think about. What if the Ben we saw in the short time he played this season was as good as it was gonna get? What if father time has caught up and was about to bite him big time? Anyway I see this as the perfect Mason Rudolph audition. I'm pretty sure Tomlin sees it the same way. I like Hodges but this is not his time unless fate steps in again and I hope it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 19, 2019 3:17 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Devlin Hodges - Page 3 3964572787

Couldn't agree more.

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Should Hodges at least get another start?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/11/21/20969991/the-time-is-now-for-mason-rudolph-to-take-a-back-seat-to-devlin-hodges-as-the-steelers-qb-nfl-news
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2019 4:52 pm

@jak341 wrote:
Should Hodges at least get another start?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/11/21/20969991/the-time-is-now-for-mason-rudolph-to-take-a-back-seat-to-devlin-hodges-as-the-steelers-qb-nfl-news

What he doesn't talk about is our horrific OL . MR deserves this year to prove himself. It's not like we're pushing for the AFCN title and it's not like Hodges has proven he is a better option.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2019 6:27 pm

indeed...this is a throw away season. i would treat it like an extended preseaon for evaluation purposes. some major changes need to happen in the off season.these back ups , i mean starters in waiting...need to be tested to see if they are indeed starters in waiting.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 1:42 am

We get Ben back next season, and I'd rather have him under center than either Rudolph or Hodges. That being said we need help at receiver, help at TE, and help on the OL. The draft, and free agency next season should focus on those three areas primarily. With all the struggles this offense is having as a whole, I don't think we're getting an honest read on how good Rudolph is, and I don't think it'd matter if we put Hodges under center either. I feel like it's the same situation regardless of who is under center.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 3:16 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
indeed...this is a throw away season. i would treat it like an extended preseaon for evaluation purposes. some major changes need to happen in the off season.these back ups , i mean starters in waiting...need to be tested to see if they are indeed starters in waiting.

Because of injuries and suspension we're seeing that.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 3:19 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
We get Ben back next season, and I'd rather have him under center than either Rudolph or Hodges. That being said we need help at receiver, help at TE, and help on the OL. The draft, and free agency next season should focus on those three areas primarily. With all the struggles this offense is having as a whole, I don't think we're getting an honest read on how good Rudolph is, and I don't think it'd matter if we put Hodges under center either. I feel like it's the same situation regardless of who is under center.

I agree. I think our first pick should be BPA at any of those positions.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 3:42 am

Agree with what's being said about it being a "throw away season" as injuries have kept us from being as competitive as we could be. It's a shame that we can't have it all of the good offense we've grown accustomed to coupled with this year's defense.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 5:04 am

@SteelersYak wrote:
Agree with what's being said about it being a "throw away season" as injuries have kept us from being as competitive as we could be. It's a shame that we can't have it all of the good offense we've grown accustomed to coupled with this year's defense.

If not for all the injuries I believe we'd be a scary team. Even with the injuries we're not the Jekyll/Hyde team we've been for years.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 12:58 pm

start the duck?

is DH better then MR? i don't know, to me DH is throwing the better arc on the ball. DH seens to have the better drop the ball in the bucket touch.

I'm thinking give the Duck a start and let's see what happens and give MR a little rest he's been beat up a bit the last couple of games.

the o-line hasn't helped the left side needs better talent to start with.

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 1:15 pm

My take, I'd start Devlin Hodges.  We've seen what Mason Rudolph has to offer (but in my opinion, something is wrong with him.  Someone pointed out that he hasn't been the same since his concussion, and I think that's a very accurate observation).

There's something about Hodges.  He plays with confidence.  He's mobile.  He makes good situational football decisions (knows how important it is to pick up 3rd downs, and does it fairly well).  I think we need to really see what he's got.  Name him the starter, give him the snaps in practice, give him a good run at it.  Let's see what we've got here.

Mason needs some time to clear his head.  There's something wrong there.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Pulling Rudolph like that I think it makes it hard to turn back and start him next game. I don't think Duck is the future, and besides that one play didn't play a whole lot better. That said he did look better. He really has zip on his passes and seems to have more accuracy. He also moves well...not fast but seems quick. That hit when he knocked the LB down was awesome.

A full week of practice if he is starting will help him. I think he pulls off legendary status if he can lead the Steelers in knocking off the Browns next week.

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 2:33 pm

He was a very accomplished college player. He plays with the confidence that he's going to be successful.

I'm not convinced of anything yet with him - but I think now's a good time to give him a real shot and see what he can do.

Mason suffered a terrible concussion and came back too soon. I truly believe that. I don't know what the NFL's concussion protocol includes, but I've seen athletes be out for months after a serious concussion. I'll bet you anything, if he were being honest, he's still foggy.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 3:50 pm

I Said that MR deserves this year and now I'm going to back pedal. Not only have we not seen improvement, but I think he is regressing. He is way to stationary and he doesn't read the defense fast enough. He doesn't move in the pocket at all unless he is running for his life. At least Hodges feels pressure and moves around. Right now I believe his ceiling is higher than Rudolph.
Either way we're not going far.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 7:36 pm

Interesting article from Post Gazette:

Commentary: Steelers staring at no-win situation at QB

Quote :
Forget a quarterback controversy.

The Steelers don’t have a quarterback.

That was never more obvious than it was during Sunday’s 16-10 win against the Cincinnati Bengals. Mason Rudolph threw another interception — his fifth in basically six quarters — and was benched after going 8-for-16 for 85 yards with a 39.8 passer rating. Duck Hodges came on and threw a 79-yard touchdown pass to James Washington that was mostly the result of a brilliant catch-and-run by Washington. Hodges completed just four of his other 10 passes for 39 yards.

The Steelers’ quarterback play was abysmal. Take away the big play by Washington, and the quarterbacks averaged just 4.8 yards on their other 26 passes.

It’s a good thing the winless, woeful Bengals were the opponent.

No one should be surprised. Any realistic chance the Steelers had of competing for the Super Bowl was lost when Ben Roethlisberger went out at halftime of the second game. The only reason the team is 6-5 and in playoff contention is because of its defense.

Next year won’t be any better offensively unless Roethlisberger comes back strong from his elbow surgery.

Rudolph might not be the long-term answer. Hodges certainly is not.

The infatuation with Duck has merit. His story is wonderful. He wasn’t drafted out of Samford in April and wasn’t signed as a free agent until after the Steelers tried him out in May and gave him a $1,000 bonus. He was cut before the first regular season game and wasn’t claimed on waivers, returning to the Steelers after Josh Dobbs was traded and Roethlisberger was injured. He was the quarterback for a win in Los Angeles against the Chargers when Rudolph was out with a concussion. He made the one big play Sunday.

It’s an incredible story made even better because Hodges is such a colorful character.

A duck hunter, for goodness sake.

But here’s the problem with it:

Hodges might not even belong in the NFL. It doesn’t seem as if Tomlin is sure, either. Tomlin has been consistently unimpressed — at least publicly — when it comes to Hodges.

“He didn’t kill us,” Tomlin said of Hodges’ play against the Chargers.

“Next question,” Tomlin said, dismissively, when asked if he considered replacing Rudolph with Hodges the next week against Miami when the Steelers trailed 14-0, before rallying behind Rudolph to win 27-14.

“You’ll make more out of Duck’s contributions than need be,” Tomlin said after the Bengals game.

Not much of an endorsement, right?

It’s also clear why people are so down on Rudolph. He hasn’t developed as quickly or as well as many hoped he would after the Steelers said they had a first-round grade on him when they drafted him in the third round of the 2018 draft. He seemed to take a step forward in the 17-12 win against the Los Angeles Rams on Nov. 10, but then took two steps back against the Browns and another big step back against the Bengals.

Tomlin acknowledged that Rudolph went through a horrific time during and after the Cleveland game but said he wouldn’t speculate if that had an impact on his weak performance against the Bengals. Rudolph threw four interceptions against the Browns and was involved in an ugly melee at the end of the game with defensive end Myles Garrett, who ripped off his helmet and clubbed him over the head with it. Rudolph, who was fined $50,000 for his role in the brawl, also was accused of using a racial slur by Garrett, an allegation Rudolph vehemently denied.

“It was a tough week for him on a lot of levels,” Tomlin said.

In a fascinating interview with Steelers.com last week, Tomlin said he felt the need to have “some non-football discussions” with Rudolph after the Cleveland game.

“He’s a young guy. He’s new to the public life,” he said. “Often times, some things are said about you that are untrue, that don’t characterize you in an accurate or appropriate way. And when you live a public life, you have to learn how to absorb that and not be consumed by it and move on. You want to aggressively defend yourself, your name, your honor and so forth. In many instances, it’s not worth your time. It’s fruitless. People who don’t know you are going to believe what they want to believe, anyway. … Sometimes, it’s general hate and envy. … So we had a lot of discussions about that.”

It figures to be a long week for Rudolph even if Tomlin names him as the starter for Sunday’s home game against the Browns, as it’s expected he will do. Rudolph will have to re-live that nightmarish first game in Cleveland and its uglier aftermath again and again.

Check out what Browns defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson had to say about Rudolph on Sunday after the Browns beat Miami for their third consecutive win. “I hope he plays.” When asked why, Richardson got an incredulous look on his face and asked, “Did you see him last game?”

The negativity will only get worse for Rudolph.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/11/25/pittsburgh-steelers-mason-rudolph-devlin-duck-hodges-quarterback-starting-cleveland-browns/stories/201911260009

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 10:25 pm

@solardave wrote:
I Said that MR deserves this year and now I'm going to back pedal. Not only have we not seen improvement, but I think he is regressing. He is way to stationary and he doesn't read the defense fast enough. He doesn't move in the pocket at all unless he is running for his life. At least Hodges feels pressure and moves around. Right now I believe his ceiling is higher than Rudolph.
Either way we're not going far.
I felt the same way earlier, and I've had to change course as well. He was so abominable the last two weeks, there really was/is no choice. And to me, there's no choice but to start Devlin next week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Devlin Hodges
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: