HomeDevlin Hodges - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Devlin Hodges

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Devlin Hodges - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 11:06 pm

the fact that colbert and tomlin had a first round grade on Rudolf should scare the hell out of us all, considering it is time to actually spend a first round pick on a qb. personally i think it was bull shit. who passes up what they believe is a 1st round talent qb, when your own qb is getting long in the tooth and his time till retirement is in question ? you wouldn't...they would have snagged him in the 2nd if they really thought he was 1 st round talent.
they showed us how much they valued dobbs...from backup and next man up to traded for peanuts in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 8:57 am

I still think it's impossible to adequately judge either Rudolph or Hodges. We can critique certain things we see, but I think it's premature to say neither guy can be a solid QB. Here's my reasoning ...

How well would Ben be playing if he had an underperforming O-line, backup and practice squad running backs and practice squad receivers?

It takes time for a QB to build chemistry with his receivers. Last week, Duck came in with very little practice reps during the week, and 3 of his 5 receivers were on a practice squad a few weeks ago. Another is still a rookie, and the No. 1 is a second-year guy in his first season of legitimate playing time. What were we expecting?

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 9:46 am

Well said.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 10:56 am

All I'm saying about MR is: he either does not know how or is simply not capable of moving in the pocket to buy time. You don't see him step up or into his throws. I don't think it's fair to compare either of these guys to Ben as a rookie. I believe he could have made something better out of this situation.
Before we compare what Ben had back then I'm talking apples to apples. Ben with this situation in his rookie year would have done a better job.
My fear is Ben will not be the same. We were already seeing that. Just like Bradshaw I think his career may be over and it wouldn't matter with these 2 it doesn't look promising if I'm right. I hope I'm not and Ben plays out his contract with production.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 11:29 am

@solardave wrote:
All I'm saying about MR is: he either does not know how or is simply not capable of moving in the pocket to buy time. You don't see him step up or into his throws.

That's a fair criticism. In my opinion, he looks worse now than he did in preseason and when he came in against the Seahawks. I think part of his problem might be a direct result of the concussion and lack of confidence in himself and the players around him. Coaches can teach him better mechanics. The players around him will hopefully get better. The question is whether he can regain confidence in himself. Without confidence, everything else falls apart.

As for Duck, I think his biggest problem is the lack of familiarity with the offense and the players around him. It also doesn't help that the players around him have the same unfamiliarity.

@solardave wrote:
I don't think it's fair to compare either of these guys to Ben as a rookie. I believe he could have made something better out of this situation.
Before we compare what Ben had back then I'm talking apples to apples. Ben with this situation in his rookie year would have done a better job.

Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to know.

As a rookie, Ben got to start on a Super Bowl-caliber team that believed in forcing its will on other teams and running the ball down their throats. He was put in a situation where he could learn, develop and build confidence. If we could take an inexperienced rookie Ben and put him on the current team, I honestly don't believe he'd be faring much better than what we're seeing now. Even a veteran QB would struggle if you surrounded him with a mediocre line and practice squad players.

For the record, I'm not arguing that Mason and/or Duck have what it takes. My argument is that they've been put in a situation where it's hard to tell.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 11:43 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
All I'm saying about MR is: he either does not know how or is simply not capable of moving in the pocket to buy time. You don't see him step up or into his throws.

That's a fair criticism. In my opinion, he looks worse now than he did in preseason and when he came in against the Seahawks. I think part of his problem might be a direct result of the concussion and lack of confidence in himself and the players around him. Coaches can teach him better mechanics. The players around him will hopefully get better. The question is whether he can regain confidence in himself. Without confidence, everything else falls apart.

As for Duck, I think his biggest problem is the lack of familiarity with the offense and the players around him. It also doesn't help that the players around him have the same unfamiliarity.

@solardave wrote:
I don't think it's fair to compare either of these guys to Ben as a rookie. I believe he could have made something better out of this situation.

As a rookie, Ben got to start on a Super Bowl-caliber team that believed in forcing its will on other teams and running the ball down their throats. He was put in a situation where he could learn, develop and build confidence. If we could take an inexperienced rookie Ben and put him on the current team, I honestly don't believe he'd be faring much better than what we're seeing now. Even a veteran QB would struggle if you surrounded him with a mediocre line and practice squad players.

For the record, I'm not arguing that Mason and/or Duck have what it takes. My argument is that they've been put in a situation where it's hard to tell.

I almost get the impression you're saying Ben as a rookie was no more talented than these 2. I'm saying some guys like Ben come into this league with "IT". They're a cut above and that's why I say Ben would have been better. Like you said though "there's no way to know". Your right Ben had a great supporting cast and that's why I said rookie Ben with this cast would have been better. Devlin Hodges - Page 4 1689750825 Devlin Hodges - Page 4 3798349058
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Its official, Duck will start Sunday
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 2:04 pm

Quarterback Duck Hodges named Steelers' starter for Browns game

PITTSBURGH - Encouraged by the boost of energy quarterback Devlin "Duck" Hodges gave the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Cincinnati Bengals, Mike Tomlin announced Tuesday Hodges would be the starter in Sunday's rematch with the Cleveland Browns.

"We met as a staff, we decided that we're going to start Duck this week." Tomlin said. "Really, the decision is clear for us ... I thought he provided us a spark in-game. I'm hopeful that he's capable of continuing to provide that spark as we step into this stadium."

Tomlin cautioned, though, that this wasn't a permanent decision for the rest of the season.

"It means nothing about our intended plans for the foreseeable future or the trajectory of Mason's career," Tomlin said. "We're just not of that mentality. We're not in a position to be of that mentality. We're putting pieces together on a week-by-week basis because of the adversity that the game presents."

But what did Tomlin see of Hodges to make him the starter this week?

"He has not killed us," Tomlin said.

Full article:  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28169056/quarterback-duck-hodges-named-steelers-starter-browns-game

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 2:10 pm

@solardave wrote:
All I'm saying about MR is: he either does not know how or is simply not capable of moving in the pocket to buy time. You don't see him step up or into his throws. I don't think it's fair to compare either of these guys to Ben as a rookie. I believe he could have made something better out of this situation.
My fear is Ben will not be the same. We were already seeing that. Just like Bradshaw I think his career may be over and it wouldn't matter with these 2 it doesn't look promising if I'm right. I hope I'm not and Ben plays out his contract with production.

I'll agree with this. Duck does move around and do better trying to make plays. I also think he seems to throw the ball better. I think too that the sample size is too small but for whatever reason MR seems to have regressed. Maybe some time off will help him get things together.

I'm also worried about Ben being able to come back. I just rewatched on YouTube Bradshaw's last game against the Jets. Although they likely better at treating an elbow injury these days.

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 6:19 pm

@solardave wrote:
i agree about ben...he has already started hitting the same wall Eli Manning slammed into . i dont expect much from him next year unless they give him a bionic arm and legs... Devlin Hodges - Page 4 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 9:18 pm

If you watch Mason's simple mechanics of hand offs, dropping back to pass, or movement in the pocket, he is half a second slower than everyone else on the field. His game speed is simply not there. I'm not sure it ever was. Can this be coached? Maybe. Just like how some QB's can decrease their throwing arc time I think he can possibly get up to speed, but just like our far too often collapsing pockets, we don't have that kind of time.

I'm under no delusions that we are going anywhere in the postseason, especially with how well pre-injury Lamar is playing, but give Duck the hot hand. He plays faster, has better play recognition, and the team seems to rally around him. Mason doesn't have any of that. I hope this can develop after another off season, but TBH, I don't think that kid is the QB we are looking for to be Ben's heir apparent.

kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 11:19 pm

At this point, I'm glad the defense is playing great.

I would start Duck this week too. He seems better suited to the slop the Steelers have for an offense. If he were a horse he'd be called a "mudder". But before everyone gets too high on the guy, he hit one pass against Cincy. Outside of that one play, he was 4-10 with a total QBR of 26. Go defense!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 11:58 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

@solardave wrote:

I almost get the impression you're saying Ben as a rookie was no more talented than these 2. I'm saying some guys like Ben come into this league with "IT". They're a cut above and that's why I say Ben would have been better. Like you said though "there's no way to know". Your right Ben had a great supporting cast and that's why I said rookie Ben with this cast would have been better. Devlin Hodges - Page 4 1689750825 Devlin Hodges - Page 4 3798349058

We don't know how talented Mason and Duck are. They were both put in horrible situations. And in Mason's case, he has actually regressed, not because of a lack of talent but because of a lack of confidence ... probably in himself as well as the players around him.

Ben was fortunate to be in a good situation. The coaches were able to bring him along slowly. Early in his career, no one outside of Pittsburgh was saying Ben had the "it" factor. To the contrary, he got labeled as just a game manager.

Not only did the coaches put Ben in a good situation from a game plan standpoint, he also had a lot of talent around him. If you put rookie Ben in the current offense, I don't think he does much better than Mason or Duck. Even veteran Ben didn't look much better in this offense in Week 1. And he had a healthy JuJu and Conner.

A couple quotes about Ben from ESPN's John Clayton in 2009 that highlight my argument ...

"This is the perfect marriage. The Steelers had the talent that helped him grow, and he was the perfect quarterback to grow in that system."

"But the key was that he joined a proven, winning team that made it easier for him to grow."

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 12:59 am

@Drizztbob wrote:
If you watch Mason's simple mechanics of hand offs, dropping back to pass, or movement in the pocket, he is half a second slower than everyone else on the field.  His game speed is simply not there.  I'm not sure it ever was.  Can this be coached?  Maybe.  Just like how some QB's can decrease their throwing arc time I think he can possibly get up to speed, but just like our far too often collapsing pockets, we don't have that kind of time.

I'm under no delusions that we are going anywhere in the postseason, especially with how well pre-injury Lamar is playing, but give Duck the hot hand.  He plays faster, has better play recognition, and the team seems to rally around him.  Mason doesn't have any of that.  I hope this can develop after another off season, but TBH, I don't think that kid is the QB we are looking for to be Ben's heir apparent.

well you should thank god ben didn't announce he was retiring at the end of the season 3 years ago or they would have spent a first round pick on rudolf... Devlin Hodges - Page 4 1797695198

seriously though, yes mason has looked bad, but so has everyone around him. so ask yourself , is he making everyone around him play and look bad ? or are they making him look bad ? juju looked like the NFL's next great receiver for the next decade...now he cant even get open. great receivers beat double teams. AB has been doing it for years. so was AB on the field the reason JUJu had so much success ? or was it Ben ?  or both ? Devlin Hodges - Page 4 2087824411 a rising tide lifts all boats.... Devlin Hodges - Page 4 1797695198
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 6:08 pm

I posted this in the Bengals game theead but figured it belongs here...

Wait until "Duck" throws a pick at a crucial point in a game and watch how many of his "fans" scream for his head on a platter... Steeler fans are a trip...

MR hasnt been the same QB since he got knocked out. His O-Line is pretty abysmal. Not saying he was doing great he wasnt. DH came in and had absolutely nothing to lose and you could tell he is playing that way. Is he a better QB then MR he could be but I doubt it. Is MR the answer to our major problem at QB doesnt look like it either.

Right now at best we finish 9-7 and doubt we make it to the playoffs. Tomlin will be around a long time so anyone calling or wishing for him to be fired better get used to him being around. Going 9-7 or even 8-8 with the current amount of CATASTROPHIC injuries this team has sustained has solidified his ability to remain a fixture in the Burgh wether you like it or not.

We will remain with BB7 as the QB and start looking for his succesor if "Duck" doesnt dazzle the coaches and start putting up points. Besides his one pass to Washington he didnt really do much if you step back and look at it honestly.

Its going to be an interesting next 5 weeks. I think we finish 7-9 at this point first losing season for Tomlin but he gets a pass from the FO.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 9:20 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Wait until "Duck" throws a pick at a crucial point in a game and watch how many of his "fans" scream for his head on a platter... Steeler fans are a trip...

MR hasnt been the same QB since he got knocked out. His O-Line is pretty abysmal. Not saying he was doing great he wasnt. DH came in and had absolutely nothing to lose and you could tell he is playing that way. Is he a better QB then MR he could be but I doubt it. Is MR the answer to our major problem at QB doesnt look like it either.

Right now at best we finish 9-7 and doubt we make it to the playoffs. Tomlin will be around a long time so anyone calling or wishing for him to be fired better get used to him being around. Going 9-7 or even 8-8 with the current amount of CATASTROPHIC injuries this team has sustained has solidified his ability to remain a fixture in the Burgh wether you like it or not.

We will remain with BB7 as the QB and start looking for his succesor if "Duck" doesnt dazzle the coaches and start putting up points. Besides his one pass to Washington he didnt really do much if you step back and look at it honestly.

Its going to be an interesting next 5 weeks. I think we finish 7-9 at this point first losing season for Tomlin but he gets a pass from the FO.
yep...everyone is calling for him to start because of one pass and a stiff arm by washington. had either of these guys got a start 2 or 3 years ago, we would have a much better idea what they bring to the table.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 3:59 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

yep...everyone is calling for him to start because of one pass and a stiff arm by washington. had either of these guys got a start 2 or 3 years ago, we would have a much better idea what they bring to the table.

I already said my reason. He is more mobile and makes better decisions. Is there a chance he'll throw a pick in a crucial situation? Absolutely. Will I be pissed? Absolutely but right now even if he does I still think he gives us a better chance of winning games. It's Brister,Stout,or Malone all over again. In this case Malone is Lynch.

Back to top Go down
nine vegetable

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 5:13 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

I already said my reason. He is more mobile and makes better decisions. Is there a chance he'll throw a pick in a crucial situation? Absolutely. Will I be pissed? Absolutely but right now even if he does I still think he gives us a better chance of winning games. It's Brister,Stout,or Malone all over again. In this case Malone is Lynch.

. SD, you nailed it. I've posted my reasons too and it has nothing to do with the throw to Washington (although it was a good decisive pass and demonstrates something Rudolph isn't able to do right now in his current state). We're all looking at the overall picture -which makes for a pretty easy decision.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 7:58 pm

I also agree that Duck is the better option right now. Hopefully, Fichtner draws up a better game plan for him and he gets some help from his teammates. If not, it'll look like last week, where neither Duck nor Mason had a fighting chance.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 6:51 am

I echo what everyone has said about MR not being right after coming back. Couple that with what he went through during the Browns game (on and off the field) and I think the spirit of that young man has been shattered.

Duck can go out there and be Brett Farve-esq because what does he have to lose? I bet he never thought he'd be starting for an NFL team and moreover, one that is in playoff contention.

This offense has been titled the Steelers JV squad and I feel that is an accurate description. The awesome part is we have been able to still win games and remain competitive.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 7:33 am

@SteelersYak wrote:
I echo what everyone has said about MR not being right after coming back. Couple that with what he went through during the Browns game (on and off the field) and I think the spirit of that young man has been shattered.  

Duck can go out there and be Brett Farve-esq because what does he have to lose? I bet he never thought he'd be starting for an NFL team and moreover, one that is in playoff contention.

This offense has been titled the Steelers JV squad and I feel that is an accurate description. The awesome part is we have been able to still win games and remain competitive.

I don't know that being in "playoff contention" fits this team. Hopes of a playoff birth if the defense keeps playing like they are. Our O has been nothing short of pathetic. With Duck what you see is what you get. If Fitchner can create a game plan that fits his skill set we just might get a wildcard spot. From what I've seen of Duck I believe a moving pocket allowing him to throw on the run might suit him well. Especially since our OL is a turn style and we have had no run blocking.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 9:41 am

@SteelersYak wrote:
I think the spirit of that young man has been shattered.

I think you're spot on. During the preseason, I kept commenting about how comfortable he looked in the pocket. And he looked pretty good
against the Seahawks. But ever since the hit against the ravens, he looks terrified out there. I think his problem isn't a lack of talent, but a lack of confidence. There's no way of knowing if he ever recovers from that.

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 4:55 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@SteelersYak wrote:
I think the spirit of that young man has been shattered.

I think you're spot on. During the preseason, I kept commenting about how comfortable he looked in the pocket. And he looked pretty good
against the Seahawks. But ever since the hit against the ravens, he looks terrified out there. I think his problem isn't a lack of talent, but a lack of confidence. There's no way of knowing if he ever recovers from that.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Tommy Maddox never seemed to be the same after getting knocked out in a game. Hopefully the same thing isn't in play here.

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 5:03 pm

@solardave wrote:
@SteelersYak wrote:

I don't know that being in "playoff contention" fits this team. Hopes of a playoff birth if the defense keeps playing like they are. Our O has been nothing short of pathetic. With Duck what you see is what you get. If Fitchner can create a game plan that fits his skill set we just might get a wildcard spot. From what I've seen of Duck I believe a moving pocket allowing him to throw on the run might suit him well. Especially since our OL is a turn style and we have had no run blocking.

This season reminds me a little of the 1989 season. Poor offense but a young, strong, D. If I remember right they were 5-6 after 11 games that year. They made the last seed and needed a ton of help to get in. It was amazing they were in at all after starting the 1st 2 games of the season being outscored 92-10.

I'm not really having any deep playoff run visions for this year, but the 1989 team was a few points shy of the AFC CG. I can still see Anderson hitting that long field goal to win the game in Houston. Back then I hated the Oilers as much as I hate the cheats and rats now. It was so awesome to beat them in Houston and stifle that stupid Houston Oilers song.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 5:44 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@SteelersYak wrote:

This season reminds me a little of the 1989 season. Poor offense but a young, strong, D. If I remember right they were 5-6 after 11 games that year. They made the last seed and needed a ton of help to get in. It was amazing they were in at all after starting the 1st 2 games of the season being outscored 92-10.

I'm not really having any deep playoff run visions for this year, but the 1989 team was a few points shy of the AFC CG. I can still see Anderson hitting that long field goal to win the game in Houston. Back then I hated the Oilers as much as I hate the cheats and rats now. It was so awesome to beat them in Houston and stifle that stupid Houston Oilers song.

Yeah, this team isn't going anywhere. But I want them in the playoffs for the experience if nothing else. It's a young team, and if they miss the playoffs for the second straight season, there will be a lot of key players on the field next year who have never been in the playoffs. In the scenario where Ben doesn't return, only a few players on offense (linemen) have playoff experience.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devlin Hodges   Devlin Hodges - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Devlin Hodges
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: