HomePaul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  Empty
PostSubject: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Good article by Paul Zeise of Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Quote :
The Steelers lost a football game to the Browns on Thursday. It was ugly, the Steelers played a putrid game, the offense looked inept and Mason Rudolph looked rattled and lost. It was such a bad performance by the offense I had to dig deep into the archives for a classic Jim Mora rant in order to find the best way to describe the Steelers’ offense on Thursday.

“We got our ass kicked,” Mora said after the Saints laid a total egg. “We couldn’t do diddly poo offensively. We couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass, we sucked!”

Yeah, Jim, that about sums up what we saw from the Steelers on Thursday night, and I couldn’t have said it better myself.

All of that being said, there are a whole lot of people who need to gain some perspective on what happened in the game, what the loss means and just how surprising it was.

In short, it was one game — a road game, on a short week and the Steelers had seemingly half their varsity players injured by the time the game was 15 minutes old. It wasn’t terribly surprising that the Steelers lost this game.

And most importantly, the game only counts as one loss. That’s it. It is one loss in the standings and the Steelers are still in pretty good shape for the playoffs at 5-5. I figured this is where they would be a few weeks ago, but the difference is I thought they’d probably lose to the Rams and then beat the Browns. The opposite happened, so the Steelers sit at 5-5 and still in control, for the most part, of their playoff chances.

The Steelers play the awful Bengals next week and because they played on Thursday they have three extra days of rest. They should be well rested and a little healthier than they were for this game against the Browns. The Bengals are so inept that it would be hard for the Steelers to lose to them.

They then get a rematch with the Browns at Heinz Field. And they will get to play the Browns without their star defensive end Myles Garrett, who went all caveman Thursday and was suspended indefinitely. The Steelers will be favored in that game, and if they win it they would be 7-5 and on their way. At that point they’d need to find two more wins — with games against Arizona, the Jets and at home against the Bills remaining — to get to 9-7, and that likely will be enough to get them to the playoffs.

So while this loss to the Browns was ugly, it isn’t the end of the season by any stretch. It was one bad night and, frankly, given that the Steelers had won four in a row and five of their last six, they were probably due for a stinker. And as long as it stays as one stinker, it will be forgotten very quickly.

The Steelers clearly aren’t good enough to just show up and win games. They aren’t a lock to beat anybody. They have proven, though, over the course of the past six weeks that they can play with anyone and win games despite not having Ben Roethlisberger. They will be favored in their next two games and maybe even three of their next four.

It is absolutely true that Rudolph has to play a lot better than he did Thursday, but calls for Devlin Hodges are silly. It was a bad night at the office, one he has to forget about. The same can be said about the offensive line, the receivers and the running backs, who all let their quarterback down.

This was a total team failure and one that at first glance appears to be the death of the Steelers’ season. It isn’t, though, and the Steelers still have plenty to play for. Their margin for error is a little less now, but they are still in really good shape to make the playoffs.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/paul-zeise/2019/11/15/pittsburgh-steelers-cleveland-borwns-afc-playoff-race-paul-zeise/stories/201911150124

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 am

Very well said, I totally agree with him.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyMon Nov 18, 2019 5:17 am

He's right but with all of our injuries making the playoffs will be an uphill climb. Interesting but uphill for sure. The one thing he said I can't agree with is "it'll be hard to loose to the Bengals". Tomlin is saying "hold my beer". Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  1797695198 Seriously I hope the team doesn't read this and buy in. We don't need the "just show up" mentality anymore.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyMon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 am

Whatever happens this team has shown a lot of heart and character.

We need to get younger on our O-Line.
We need to find a true durable runner. I love Conner and his story but he is injury prone.
We need to give MR time to develop with a very young recieving corps.

If we can win 5 we have a shot if we don't and we go 9-7 or 8-8 I honestly think this has been a great year for both the team and the Coaches considering all of the injuries and shuffling that has had to be done.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyMon Nov 18, 2019 1:45 pm

i predicted 7-9 and thought 8-8 would be a successful season considering the off season and bens first game injury. i stand by it. it is time to refocus on the offensive line this off season. i asked the question here right after the departure of munchak, if anyone thought the line would revert back to shit , and people assured me his teaching legacy would continue on...well..not so much. of course no ammount of teaching can help declining play of old players. i thought resigning ramon foster was a bad idea...didnt see pouncy's decline coming so soon , but here we are.
i find it difficult to evaluate rudolfs performance so far when everyone around him is also playing like shit.receivers dropping balls, and not getting open fast enough , plus piss poor blocking from the oline shortening the time he has in the pocket. the lack of a running threat also doesnt help.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyTue Nov 19, 2019 5:00 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i predicted 7-9 and thought 8-8 would be a successful season considering the off season and bens first game injury. i stand by it.  it is time to refocus on the offensive line this off season. i asked the question here right after the departure of munchak, if anyone thought the line would revert back to shit , and people assured me his teaching legacy would continue on...well..not so much. of course no ammount of teaching can help declining play of old players. i thought resigning ramon foster was a bad idea...didnt see pouncy's decline coming so soon , but here we are.
i find it difficult to evaluate rudolfs performance so far when everyone around him is also playing like shit.receivers dropping balls, and not getting open fast enough , plus piss poor blocking from the oline shortening the time he has in the pocket. the lack of a running threat also doesnt help.

So do you think Sarrett should remain? I know there is a decline in play almost across the board but I don't see these guys as prepared to play. What compounds this is MR is not a QB who moves well in the pocket so you're right. How can he be evaluated when he is under constant harassment? The other issue is also true. No holes for any RB to slide through. Worse yet the backs are getting dropped in the backfield because the line is getting driven back. DeCastro seems to be the only one holding his own.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyTue Nov 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Steelers sign Skipper.

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-sign-skipper-to-53-man-roster
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyTue Nov 19, 2019 5:26 pm

^ To make room for Skipper, L.T. Walton was added to the IR list.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyTue Nov 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Oh shit SKIPPER has been signed now all of our troubles will dissappear!!! SUPERBOWL BOUND FOR SURE NOW BABY!!! 😜Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  2981382511
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyTue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 pm

@solardave wrote:
i predicted 7-9 and thought 8-8 would be a successful season considering the off season and bens first game injury. i stand by it.  it is time to refocus on the offensive line this off season. i asked the question here right after the departure of munchak, if anyone thought the line would revert back to shit , and people assured me his teaching legacy would continue on...well..not so much. of course no ammount of teaching can help declining play of old players. i thought resigning ramon foster was a bad idea...didnt see pouncy's decline coming so soon , but here we are.

So do you think Sarrett should  remain? I know there is a decline in play almost across the board but I don't see these guys as prepared to play. What compounds this is MR is not a QB who moves well in the pocket so you're right. How can he be evaluated when he is under constant harassment? The other issue is also true. No holes for any RB to slide through. Worse yet the backs are getting dropped in the backfield because the line is getting driven back. DeCastro seems to be the only one holding his own.
well just like with rudolf , can you blame the coach when players are losing their one on one battles ? this isnt a bunch of young bucks that may have technique flaws. we have seen them these guys play at a high level. anyone can have have a bad game. but when an older veteran starts having a string of bad games you got to wonder if he is physically up to the challenge. i doubt sarrett came in and tinkered with the blocking schemes that worked.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyWed Nov 20, 2019 6:54 am

@solardave wrote:

So do you think Sarrett should  remain? I know there is a decline in play almost across the board but I don't see these guys as prepared to play. What compounds this is MR is not a QB who moves well in the pocket so you're right. How can he be evaluated when he is under constant harassment? The other issue is also true. No holes for any RB to slide through. Worse yet the backs are getting dropped in the backfield because the line is getting driven back. DeCastro seems to be the only one holding his own.
well just like with rudolf , can you blame the coach when players are losing their one on one battles ?  this isnt a bunch of young bucks that may have technique flaws. we have seen them these guys play  at a high level. anyone can have have a bad game. but when an older veteran starts having a string of bad games you got to wonder if he is physically up to the challenge. i doubt sarrett came in and tinkered with the blocking schemes that worked.

If we had legitimate depth on the OL I'd say the blame would be with coaches. How many times has Tomlin hid an injury and we found out at the end of the season that player was playing with nagging injuries? Next question is did we have an alternative and he didn't use it? This isn't injury related but I think it applies. Pouncey is out 3 games and maybe we find out at this point Finney is actually a better center.Does he get the job? Probably not.
My point is can Tomlin make the decision that's best for the team? Starting Moncrief early on says no. He came to his senses but not after some piss poor play by the then #2 WR. Skipper is another example of letting an above average player slip through the cracks so we could keep a career backup in Chickillo.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyWed Nov 20, 2019 7:54 am

I was anxious about last Thursday's game and honestly still feel like we won in some respects. As far as the rest of the season, the schedule definitely works in our favor but the injuries definitely are not. We are going to have to lean even harder on that defense to get us through.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyWed Nov 20, 2019 9:31 am

While they may not be dead, they're certainly pushing the envelope for life support options.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  EmptyWed Nov 20, 2019 12:27 pm

@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:

well just like with rudolf , can you blame the coach when players are losing their one on one battles ?  this isnt a bunch of young bucks that may have technique flaws. we have seen them these guys play  at a high level. anyone can have have a bad game. but when an older veteran starts having a string of bad games you got to wonder if he is physically up to the challenge. i doubt sarrett came in and tinkered with the blocking schemes that worked.

If we had legitimate depth on the OL I'd say the blame would be with coaches. How many times has Tomlin hid an injury and we found out at the end of the season that player was playing with nagging injuries? Next question is did we have an alternative and he didn't use it? This isn't injury related but I think it applies. Pouncey is out 3 games and maybe we find out at this point Finney is actually a better center.Does he get the job? Probably not.
My point is can Tomlin make the decision that's best for the team? Starting Moncrief early on says no. He came to his senses but not after some piss poor play by the then #2 WR. Skipper is another example of letting an above average player slip through the cracks so we could keep a career backup in Chickillo.
oh i 100% blame Tomlin and colbert. their job is to find the ingredients and put a good product on the field. but the assistant coaches probably dont get much of a say in what they have to work with. i have ranted continuously here over the years about the way they hang on to sub par backups that likely wouldn't make a roster on any other team instead of taking a chance on another player. i bet they have cut half a dozen players over the last 5 years that would have developed to be as good or maybe even better than Dan McCullers. but we will never know because they keep trying to polish the same turds.
keeping sub par backups just because they "know" the system , doesn't even fit tomlins own bullshit philosophy of "a backup is a starter in waiting ". or the other classic he likes to spout off..."the standard is the standard". Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  2087824411
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns    Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns  Empty

Back to top Go down

Paul Zeise: Steelers aren't dead yet despite tough loss to Browns
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: