Steelers Xtreme Forum


 
HomeBest Western Movie. Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

 

 Best Western Movie.

Go down 

Best Western Movie.
Once Upon A Time In The West
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap10%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 10% [ 3 ]
True Grit (original)
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap10%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 10% [ 3 ]
Tombstone
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap21%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 21% [ 6 ]
Young Guns
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap0%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Magnificent Seven
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap3%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap10%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 10% [ 3 ]
The Unforgiven
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap7%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
3:10 To Yuma (remake)
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap10%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 10% [ 3 ]
A Fistful Of Dollars
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap3%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap14%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 14% [ 4 ]
Once Upon A Time In The West
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap0%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
3:10 To Yuma (original)
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap3%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Django
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap3%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
High Plains Drifter
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap3%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
For A Few Dollars More
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap0%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Seven Samurai
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap0%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Hombre
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap0%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Great Silence
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap0%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Johnny Guitar
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap0%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Shooting
Best Western Movie. Vote_lcap0%Best Western Movie. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29
 

AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Posts : 13488
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : The last bar stool on the left

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:11 pm

Vote for your favorite hotel..... errrr... western movie on this list.

You can vote for 3 movies.

This will be a floating poll, meaning that if an entrant does not receive any votes, they will be replaced and you can re-vote by clicking "cancel vote" at the bottom of the entry list at any time as often as you like.

This poll has no time limit.

_________________
Best Western Movie. Ee7ffacdb22647915dff1a9d3eef0fd8
-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-


Last edited by Buddha Bus on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Posts : 294
Join date : 2011-07-28
Location : Maine

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Man, this list is severely lacking Best Western Movie. 1505004552 Best Western Movie. 611739232

Once Upon a Time in the West has to be Leone's near flawless film, every scene is just so perfect.

3:10 to Yuma (1957), The Shooting (1967), like all of Budd Boetticher's westerns, Django (1966), The Great Silence (1965), Johnny Guitar (1954), Hombre (1967) are just a few of my favorites and could probably be added to this list.

I voted for Wales but in reality I think Eastwood's best is probably High Plains Drifter (1973) or Unforgiven (1992). I think Magnificent Seven is definitely overrated just as a western and just completely fails when compared to Seven Samurai (1954). And as much as I love John Wayne, the Coen Brothers remake totally trumps the original.

_________________
Best Western Movie. Farrior1
(Big thanks to Wally for hooking me up with a great sig.)

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Posts : 13488
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : The last bar stool on the left

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 am

@Farrior_roirraW wrote:
Man, this list is severely lacking Best Western Movie. 1505004552 Best Western Movie. 611739232

Once Upon a Time in the West has to be Leone's near flawless film, every scene is just so perfect.

3:10 to Yuma (1957), The Shooting (1967), like all of Budd Boetticher's westerns, Django (1966), The Great Silence (1965), Johnny Guitar (1954), Hombre (1967) are just a few of my favorites and could probably be added to this list.

I voted for Wales but in reality I think Eastwood's best is probably High Plains Drifter (1973) or Unforgiven (1992). I think Magnificent Seven is definitely overrated just as a western and just completely fails when compared to Seven Samurai (1954). And as much as I love John Wayne, the Coen Brothers remake totally trumps the original.


Your suggestions have been added. Feel free to re-vote if you like. Best Western Movie. 184121345

_________________
Best Western Movie. Ee7ffacdb22647915dff1a9d3eef0fd8
-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Posts : 294
Join date : 2011-07-28
Location : Maine

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:52 am

@Buddha Bus wrote:
@Farrior_roirraW wrote:
Man, this list is severely lacking Best Western Movie. 1505004552 Best Western Movie. 611739232

Once Upon a Time in the West has to be Leone's near flawless film, every scene is just so perfect.

3:10 to Yuma (1957), The Shooting (1967), like all of Budd Boetticher's westerns, Django (1966), The Great Silence (1965), Johnny Guitar (1954), Hombre (1967) are just a few of my favorites and could probably be added to this list.

I voted for Wales but in reality I think Eastwood's best is probably High Plains Drifter (1973) or Unforgiven (1992). I think Magnificent Seven is definitely overrated just as a western and just completely fails when compared to Seven Samurai (1954). And as much as I love John Wayne, the Coen Brothers remake totally trumps the original.


Your suggestions have been added. Feel free to re-vote if you like. Best Western Movie. 184121345

Cool, thanks. Best Western Movie. 184121345

_________________
Best Western Movie. Farrior1
(Big thanks to Wally for hooking me up with a great sig.)

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
British Steel
Xtreme Newb
British Steel

Posts : 60
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : Across the Pond

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Best Western   Best Western Movie. EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 5:53 pm

The Wild Bunch?

_________________
"Windmills do not work that way! GOODNIGHT!"
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht



Posts : 1123
Join date : 2011-08-24

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 5:57 pm

This list can't possibly be complete without Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Posts : 18144
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 12:37 am

Suggest two to drop (that haven't received votes), and I'll add Wild Bunch and Butch Cassidy.

_________________
Best Western Movie. Juju10

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
https://www.steelersxtreme.com/
BornaSteelersfan
Xtreme Newb
BornaSteelersfan

Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-01-13
Location : Kauai, HI

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:08 am

You can drop the second Once Upon a Time in The West (it's up twice)
Back to top Go down
BornaSteelersfan
Xtreme Newb
BornaSteelersfan

Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-01-13
Location : Kauai, HI

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:15 am

What about Shane and The Long Riders?
Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 21
Join date : 2011-12-13

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 am

I'm not suggesting these are missing from the list but among my favorite Westerns were some of Anthony Mann's. He made five great ones with Jimmy Stewart: The Naked Spur, Bend Of The River, The Far Country, and my two favorites The Man From Laramie (a superb revenge story) and Winchester '73 (where Stewart goes searching for his stolen rifle).

Before seeing those as a kid, my image of Jimmy Stewart was of a headstrong but pretty straight-laced guy like in his Capra movies or some other stuff I had seen like The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. But the Anthony Mann movies had him playing a tough inscrutable loner, and totally convincingly. The characters were slightly off balance too. They were violent movies. And Anthony Mann always had the best fist fights because they were real rough-and-tumble excursions (not the two-punch-one-quip set pieces that were typical in 50s Westerns).

Also if you have the luxury, try to see The Man From Laramie in its original aspect ratio (2.35:1, I think). It's beautifully shot. (I saw a pan-and-scan version once on TV and it looked like shit). And Winchester '73 looks perfect in B&W.

Anthony Mann also made a great Western with Gary Cooper called Man Of The West. I haven't seen it in years but remember it was pretty bleak and violent. What was striking to me about Mann's movies was not just the depth of the characters but also how violence was depicted. It wasn't in body count like say Leone, or blood and squibs like Peckinpah, but it was really stark and intensely emotional. I was a big fan of Westerns as a kid, and I love all the Leone Westerns (even Fistful of Dynamite) but I always had the sense that the Man With No Name was in control and would take care of business. But in these Mann films there was a constant and looming sense of danger and uncertainty even for the leads. Good stuff.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Posts : 13488
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : The last bar stool on the left

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:44 pm

@skipJennings wrote:
I'm not suggesting these are missing from the list but among my favorite Westerns were some of Anthony Mann's. He made five great ones with Jimmy Stewart: The Naked Spur, Bend Of The River, The Far Country, and my two favorites The Man From Laramie (a superb revenge story) and Winchester '73 (where Stewart goes searching for his stolen rifle).

Before seeing those as a kid, my image of Jimmy Stewart was of a headstrong but pretty straight-laced guy like in his Capra movies or some other stuff I had seen like The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. But the Anthony Mann movies had him playing a tough inscrutable loner, and totally convincingly. The characters were slightly off balance too. They were violent movies. And Anthony Mann always had the best fist fights because they were real rough-and-tumble excursions (not the two-punch-one-quip set pieces that were typical in 50s Westerns).

Also if you have the luxury, try to see The Man From Laramie in its original aspect ratio (2.35:1, I think). It's beautifully shot. (I saw a pan-and-scan version once on TV and it looked like shit). And Winchester '73 looks perfect in B&W.

Anthony Mann also made a great Western with Gary Cooper called Man Of The West. I haven't seen it in years but remember it was pretty bleak and violent. What was striking to me about Mann's movies was not just the depth of the characters but also how violence was depicted. It wasn't in body count like say Leone, or blood and squibs like Peckinpah, but it was really stark and intensely emotional. I was a big fan of Westerns as a kid, and I love all the Leone Westerns (even Fistful of Dynamite) but I always had the sense that the Man With No Name was in control and would take care of business. But in these Mann films there was a constant and looming sense of danger and uncertainty even for the leads. Good stuff.



Give me the three that you would most like to vote for and I'll add them to the list for you. I'm not a major western movie buff, but I like some and thought people may like to vote on some.

It's time I switch some out with some fresh ones anyway.

_________________
Best Western Movie. Ee7ffacdb22647915dff1a9d3eef0fd8
-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 21
Join date : 2011-12-13

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:06 pm

@Buddha Bus wrote:
Give me the three that you would most like to vote for and I'll add them to the list for you. I'm not a major western movie buff, but I like some and thought people may like to vote on some.

It's time I switch some out with some fresh ones anyway.


Oh man, there are so many great Westerns. To be honest, I loved them as a kid but haven't seen most of them that I loved in years. I only mentioned the Mann movies because to me they have a real character all their own, and seem to fly under the radar whenever I hear people mention great Westerns.

I think you've got a good list here though. If I had to choose three that aren't on it, it'd be pretty arbitrary. I'd throw in a Mann-Stewart movie, probably Winchester '73 just because it's the most popular one. Also maybe a Sam Peckinpah movie. My favorite was Ride The High Country, but I'm sure lots of folks prefer The Wild Bunch or The Ballad of Cable Hogue.

Others just off the top of my head would be The Ox-Bow Incident and Rio Bravo, which I really dug as a kid. John Carpenter did a modern-day take of it with Assault on Precinct 13, which is a killer movie.

So I guess my three picks would be:

Winchester '73 (1950)
Ride The High Country (1962)
The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)

They're just random favorites, but also to me they're examples of unique takes on the genre, as opposed to say a great example of a Western with a typical theme. By that I mean something like the gunfighter who wants to retire but can't escape his reputation: The Gunfighter, The Shootist, Unforgiven. Or the lone rider, who drifts into town, defeats some corruption, and then rides away unceremoniously: Shane, Will Penny, Pale Rider. Those are all great movies, but they have similar stories that are just updated for their eras.

But like I said, I don't really watch Westerns like I used to. Horror is the only genre that I've consistently loved since I was little. Anyway, that's longwinded reply. I never thought I'd be talking about movies on a Steelers message board, but it's great to shoot the shit about other things too.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Posts : 1775
Join date : 2011-04-05
Location : In the land of The Crazies

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:00 pm

This list is incomplete without Cat Ballou. Best Western Movie. 131212936

I'm not big on westerns myself. My three faves would have to be Silverado, Tombstone and Unforgiven.

_________________
Best Western Movie. Theaterseats
Back to top Go down
http://forums.steelersfever.com/
solardave

solardave

Posts : 5130
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 8:11 am

What about The Cowboys? John Wayne was the man. Even among boys.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

Posts : 4823
Join date : 2011-10-27
Location : Mansfield, Ohio

Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:27 am

Voted Tombstone. One of the greatest Westerns I've ever watched.

_________________
"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Best Western Movie. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Western Movie.   Best Western Movie. Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Best Western Movie.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Entertainment :: Movies-
Jump to: