Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRacism and the Olympics Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Racism and the Olympics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Racism and the Olympics Empty
PostSubject: Racism and the Olympics   Racism and the Olympics EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:25 am

Two stories in recent days just have me shaking my head. The latest is an incident involving Serena Williams ...

Quote :
Serena flubs crowning moment

She was in the city of kings and queens. People were sipping champagne and eating strawberries and cream. And Serena Williams had just ascended to the throne of tennis, becoming the second woman after Steffi Graf to win all four Grand Slam titles and an Olympic gold in singles.

Over the previous 63 minutes on the hallowed grounds of Wimbledon, Williams had absolutely obliterated the Russian superstar Maria Sharapova. She’d death-stared down the blonde, leggy Barbie doll, sending lasers down the line, making Sharapova lunge all over the court, hitting left when Sharapova was running right, and then, with a 120-mph ace, secured her Golden Slam and her place in history.

Then the 30-year-old who will end her career as one of the greatest tennis players of all time did something that could be interpreted two ways: As a stupid and insensitive celebration that dampened the crowning moment, or as a joy-filled nod to her roots.

The woman who grew up in Compton did the Crip Walk.

For the uninitiated, the Crip Walk is a funky little hip-hop dance move made famous by Crip gang members in Compton in the 1970s.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/tennis/story/serena-williams-taints-golden-slam-with-crip-walk-dance-080412

This has created a lot of outrage. But seriously, how many people knew what the Crip Walk was? Especially young people. But now MILLIONS of people who had no idea what it was yesterday now know all about it. I'll touch on this more during my comment on the story below, but there's nothing outrageous about what Serena did. It was perfectly fine. The only reason it's viewed as an outrage is because idiots are making a big deal out of it. It's a silly little dance. Nothing more. It only has power if people give it power. The only people who should be outraged by it is Serena's family. Her older half-sister was shot and killed by a Crips gang member. And now here she is doing the Crip Walk to celebrate winning a gold medal.

The second story is from earlier this week ..

Quote :
NBC forced to apologise after ill-timed ad features a monkey doing gymnastics

NBC has become the centre of a race storm after airing an ad featuring a monkey performing gymnastics, right after showing the performance of Gabby Douglas, the first African-American to win Olympic gold.

The network has since apologised for the advert's poor timing, explaining: 'No offense was intended.'

The controversy ignited as sportscaster Bob Costas wrapped his analysis of her incredible routine during the all-around competition last night.

Costas said: 'There are some African American girls out there who tonight are saying to themselves: "Hey, I’d like to try that too." More from London in a moment.'

The broadcast then went to a commercial break, showing an advertisement featuring a monkey wearing a gymnastics uniform and performing a rings gymnastics event.

The unintentional, but poorly-timed ad was for Animal Practice, an upcoming NBC sitcom.

Angry viewers lashed out at the network on social media platforms like Twitter, accusing them of racism.

'Disgusted at NBC for showing Animal Practice with monkey right after Gabby wins her gold,' one user posted.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183284/Gabby-Douglas-NBC-forced-apologise-ad-features-monkey-doing-gymnastics-right-AFTER-victory.html#ixzz22gY8Z9Ug

Here's the thing ... let's forget about older people who grew up when a good portion of the country was racist. Just as views have shifted on homosexuality, views have also shifted on race. The younger generations are nowhere near as racist as older generations. Most of the words and images associated with racism would be lost if we'd let them go. I watched Gabby's performance, and then saw the ad. Quite honestly, I didn't think anything about it. I grew up in a time where people still compared blacks to monkeys, but it's been so long since I've heard anyone say something like that, I didn't even make the connection until people started bitching about it and the media ran with it. How many young people knew the racist connection? But NOW they do. Racism is taught. And we're doing our best to teach them. If people would stop expressing outrage over stupid shit like this, it would die. It would lose any power it has left.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
https://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Racism and the Olympics   Racism and the Olympics EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Much ado about nothing.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Racism and the Olympics   Racism and the Olympics EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 am

This is more about IDIOTS and the OLYMPICS than it is racism. Like you Wally, I didn't catch any racism between Gabby's performance and the following commercial.

When I see a monkey I don't see a black person, I see a freakin' animal. When I see a black person, I don't see an animal, I see a freakin' person - who just happens to be black. The people that can connect the two what to hold on to hate and prejudice and make a big deal out of nothing - similarly, with the dance - I never would have know it was a crip dance (but I have seen it on the dance floor years ago when I was a single man).

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Racism and the Olympics 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Racism and the Olympics   Racism and the Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:10 am

Talk about racism? What about all of the black women, excuse me, African American women picking on Gabby's hairstyle? Talking about how her hair gets too kinky and afro-like when she sweats (this was mentioned over and over in various tweets).

First of all, leave the adorable, mega-talented little girl alone. She had done her country proud! Secondly, if a white woman would have said anything about Gabby's hair, you can be your sweet arse that all hell would have broken loose.

Quote :
When I see a monkey I don't see a black person, I see a freakin' animal. When I see a black person, I don't see an animal, I see a freakin' person - who just happens to be black. The people that can connect the two what to hold on to hate and prejudice and make a big deal out of nothing

Racism and the Olympics 3964572787

Listen, when I see a murderer I don't think of Ray Lewis......oh wait a minute....

Racism and the Olympics We_bel10
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Racism and the Olympics   Racism and the Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:19 am

had a white lady won the event the same people crying racism would have said " aw, look at that cute monkey" but since a black lady won it must be racism

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Racism and the Olympics   Racism and the Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 am

It wasn't like NBC was saving that ad in the hopes that Gabby would win so they could make some grand racist statement. The ad had been playing throughout the Olympics. The monkey is on a new NBC show. Anyone (white or black) who made a connection between the ad and Gabby has issues and needs to get over it.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Racism and the Olympics   Racism and the Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 am

Here's a good story discussing these and other issues ...

Quote :
Olympic Political Correctness

The London Olympics features 302 events. But this year there clearly is a new category: racial sensitivity. These Olympic Games are rife with examples of people taking offense, and it’s time to discuss some guardrails and guidelines before political correctness takes over completely.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/313251/olympic-political-correctness-john-fund?pg=1

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Racism and the Olympics   Racism and the Olympics Empty

Back to top Go down

Racism and the Olympics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Other Sports-
Jump to: