HomeWhere does it go from here? - Page 13 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Where does it go from here?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
solardave

solardave

Where does it go from here? - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyFri May 01, 2020 3:51 am

@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:
100% agree with this. Ben will be the starter until he isn't. I don't think the true successor to Ben is on the roster either.

https://937thefan.radio.com/blogs/colin-dunlap/dunlap-steelers-qb-succession-plan-is-simple?utm_campaign=https%3A//937thefan.radio.com/&utm_content=1588179968&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=KDKA-FM
It really makes a lot of sense to me.  Why people want to stumble around with re-hashed, rejected QB's is beyond me.

I think the plan is a good one.  The part that will change, I believe, is that I don't think MR is The Guy.  I just don't.

So we may have one miserable year with him as the QB, and then we draft higher, and we get a good QB.  That's the plan.

I go back to the years after Bradshaw retired and it was several miserable years. I know Dalton wouldn't come here for less money to be Ben's backup but someone seasoned like him could fill the slot until we get our guy. I'm not giving up on Rudolph just yet either because I want to see how well Canada can coach him up.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyFri May 01, 2020 4:33 am

@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:
100% agree with this. Ben will be the starter until he isn't. I don't think the true successor to Ben is on the roster either.

https://937thefan.radio.com/blogs/colin-dunlap/dunlap-steelers-qb-succession-plan-is-simple?utm_campaign=https%3A//937thefan.radio.com/&utm_content=1588179968&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=KDKA-FM
It really makes a lot of sense to me.  Why people want to stumble around with re-hashed, rejected QB's is beyond me.

I think the plan is a good one.  The part that will change, I believe, is that I don't think MR is The Guy.  I just don't.

So we may have one miserable year with him as the QB, and then we draft higher, and we get a good QB.  That's the plan.

I go back to the years after Bradshaw retired and it was several miserable years. I know Dalton wouldn't come here for less money to be Ben's backup but someone seasoned like him could fill the slot until we get our guy. I'm not giving up on Rudolph just yet either because I want to see how well Canada can coach him up.
years ? more like 2 decades. but i agree here. we need another option besides what we have.  franchise qb's dont grow on tree's.  out of the 150 or so qb's drafted in the last 15 years, how many are really worth a shit ?  i'd say the average is one per draft. just look around the league at who is starting. there are not 32 franchise  qb's. there aren't 16 good qb's. so if your expecting the steelers to nail down a franchise QB with one draft pick, i think your setting yourself up for a big disappointment.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyFri May 01, 2020 10:39 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

years ? more like 2 decades. but i agree here. we need another option besides what we have.  franchise qb's dont grow on tree's.  out of the 150 or so qb's drafted in the last 15 years, how many are really worth a shit ?  i'd say the average is one per draft. just look around the league at who is starting. there are not 32 franchise  qb's. there aren't 16 good qb's. so if your expecting the steelers to nail down a franchise QB with one draft pick, i think your setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

We managed 2 franchise QBs in the 4 decades. My main issue with MR is that he is a statue in the pocket. Let Canada work with him and let's see what happens.He may surprise us.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyFri May 01, 2020 12:39 pm

Our O-Line didnt block very well for MR or Duck, the Oline didn't block very well for the run game either, teams stacked the box on 1st and second down and our OC still tried running the football instead of letting the QBs audible out and throw when it could have opened things up. Fitchner played terrified as soon as Ben went down and he really never stopped.

MR and to some extent Duck were playing handcuffed all season long and it should have been a time when the team should have let them play to win to see what they could do. Still believe Fitchner is a major problem at OC his play calling is absolute predictable garbage.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySat May 02, 2020 5:33 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Our O-Line didnt block very well for MR or Duck, the Oline didn't  block very well for the run game either, teams stacked the box on 1st and second down and our OC still tried running the football instead of letting the QBs audible out and throw when it could have opened things up. Fitchner played terrified as soon as Ben went down and he really never stopped.

MR and to some extent Duck were playing handcuffed all season long and it should have been a time when the team should have let them play to win to see what they could do. Still believe Fitchner is a major problem at OC his play calling is absolute predictable garbage.
well when the coaches show a lack of condidence in players..qb's in particular, then they should expect the fans to question the guys on the roster and their decisions of who is on the roster. no risk no reward. playing not to lose is almost guaranteed to make you lose. i can understand doing that maybe for a young guys first game or so, but when your season is on the line it is time to go balls out. the only thing you have to lose is a lower draft position ... Where does it go from here? - Page 13 2087824411
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySat May 02, 2020 6:26 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Our O-Line didnt block very well for MR or Duck, the Oline didn't  block very well for the run game either, teams stacked the box on 1st and second down and our OC still tried running the football instead of letting the QBs audible out and throw when it could have opened things up. Fitchner played terrified as soon as Ben went down and he really never stopped.

well when the coaches show a lack of condidence in players..qb's in particular, then they should expect the fans to question the guys on the roster and their decisions of who is on the roster. no risk no reward. playing not to lose is almost guaranteed to make you lose. i can understand doing that maybe for a young guys first game or so, but when your season is on the line it is time to go balls out. the only thing you have to lose is a lower draft position ... Where does it go from here? - Page 13 2087824411

I agree. By mid season we really had nothing to loose. Except we did by playing conservative. This was the first off-season I can remember not having any interest in watching the games I recorded. Same shit different opponent. Here's to getting back on track this year.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySun May 03, 2020 12:14 am

@solardave wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

I agree. By mid season we really had nothing to loose. Except we did by playing conservative. This was the first off-season I can remember not having any interest in watching the games I recorded. Same shit different opponent. Here's to getting back on track this year.
mid season ? after week 5 they were 1-4 ...the running game was horrendous and rudolf wasn't exactly looking promising after his first 3 1/2 games as the QB. he did have a nice efficient game against the bungles..but it was the bungles soooo... Where does it go from here? - Page 13 2087824411..even ben looked like hot garbage in the little time he did play. i mean that new england game... Where does it go from here? - Page 13 1505004552..and began the follow up with that mess looking equally bad against seattle.
at what point did he start having this elbow problem ? last year ? training camp ? against NE ?
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySun May 03, 2020 9:02 pm

Eyeroll.

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/05/03/aaron-rodgers-pittsburgh-steelers-believable/
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySun May 03, 2020 11:55 pm

I wouldn't mind Rodgers coming in after Ben exits. With our Defense playing lights out Rodgers could put up some points and the D could win us games.

Rodgers has a great arm still he threw for 51 TDs last season and 6 INTs Ben has thrown close to that in interceptions in 1 game multiple times the last few years.

Rodgers is hell bent on getting another ring if BB exits Rodgers could be a guy that can get us something like Manning did for the Broncos. Our Defense is going to be seriously good the next few years if they can avoid major injuries we just need someone that has a knack for putting up some points and Rodgers does just that.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 5:19 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I wouldn't mind Rodgers coming in after Ben exits. With our Defense playing lights out Rodgers could put up some points and the D could win us games.

Rodgers has a great arm still he threw for 51 TDs last season and 6 INTs Ben has thrown close to that in interceptions in 1 game multiple times the last few years.

Rodgers is hell bent on getting another ring if BB exits Rodgers could be a guy that can get us something like Manning did for the Broncos. Our Defense is going to be seriously good the next few years if they can avoid major injuries we just need someone that has a knack for putting up some points and Rodgers does just that.

I worked with a guy who is a big Packers fan. His family owns the company. All he ever did was talk about how he is just working class struggling to get by. One year his Mom paid off his car,his wife's car and their mortgage. He sat in his office all day playing games on his computer when he wasn't bitching about how little he was paid for all the work he did. Sooo I'd love to see Rogers come in and win 1 or 2 more SBs. Did I mention he hates the Steelers. Where does it go from here? - Page 13 1647293567
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 2:26 pm

Conner may be out after this year.

https://clutchpoints.com/steelers-news-major-update-on-james-conners-future-in-pittsburgh/
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyTue May 05, 2020 7:06 pm

FRAGILE... That's Italian...😂Where does it go from here? - Page 13 2981382511
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyTue May 05, 2020 7:58 pm

i think its 50/50 for connor. it should all come down to how much money he expects. considering they keep 4 on the roster, what does it matter if they keep him around given that it is a team friendly contract ? his injury history won't just be a steeler concern when it comes to negotiations. i dont see anyone backing the money truck up to him. the steelers could keep him and reduce his roll. i would consider connor to be a top 32 back in the league. why get rid of him because you live in your fears ?
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyTue May 05, 2020 9:04 pm

I am all for him sticking around on a team friendly contract. I like the young man and he has played well when he has been on the field. He just has had injury issues and as a featured back that is problematic.

He is a great character guy and has a great motor, hard worker. He just needs to stay healthy.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyTue May 12, 2020 12:03 pm

Interesting piece by ESPN. There is one bullet towards the end that really makes this an interesting piece. Dependent on 2021 cap, the cap could decrease. The Steelers have cap money tied up in that year.

Barnwell: Picking 20 NFL offseason winners and losers, from Lock to Dak https://es.pn/35OPKSG
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySat May 16, 2020 2:04 pm

Let's trade for every available QB.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/5/16/21256895/the-steelers-should-trade-for-josh-rosen-if-they-want-a-qb-of-the-future-dolphins-cardinals-cal-nfl
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySat May 16, 2020 3:52 pm

@jak341 wrote:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/5/16/21256895/the-steelers-should-trade-for-josh-rosen-if-they-want-a-qb-of-the-future-dolphins-cardinals-cal-nfl
That's kind of like having Paxton Lynch on your roster. Wait a minute...
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySat May 16, 2020 11:11 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

That's kind of like having Paxton Lynch on your roster.  Wait a minute...
i would feel better having rosen on the roster than lynch. infact i would rather have rosen than rudolf. as the article points out, rosen was never in a situation to succeed. 2 horrible offensive lines and 2 first year head coaches and not very good receivers to work with . the dolphins are probably going to cut him anyway, so i think he could be had for a 7th rd pick or wait till he gets cut.
i wouldnt be so bold as to predict he would be be the qb of the future, but considering that guy isnt on the roster now, and considering he is relatively cheap i woulod certainly consider bring him in for a year. then you have a fifth year option if he looks promising. the steelers need to start over turning every stone and get serious about finding the future QB. the post bradshaw nightmares are resurfacing for me ... Where does it go from here? - Page 13 190127080
how much would it suck to have beleprick pick him up off the scrap heap and turn into a probowl QB ? Where does it go from here? - Page 13 1505004552
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySun May 17, 2020 8:12 am

I have no qualms about picking Rosen up for a low draft pick or as a signing. On the other hand, he has been effectively shown the door by 2 franchises already. What are we not seeing that other franchises are, perhaps during practice and team meetings? There were always concerns about his work ethic. I wonder if this is factoring in.

I find it interesting; the comparisons to the post Bradshaw Steelers in the 1980s. So, using this site, I looked at the times we made the playoffs and the numbers of playoff wins. We made the SB in 1979 and won. We made the SB in 2010 and lost. I will start at the season directly after.

From 1980-1990, the Steelers made the playoffs 4 times (1982, 1983, 1984, 1989). In those years, there were 2 playoff wins in the 4 appearances.

From 2011 to today, the Steelers made the playoffs 5 times (2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017). In these years, there were 3 playoff wins in the five appearances.

If we miss the playoffs this year, and it will be harder to miss with the addition of an extra team, the numbers from the 80's and today aren't that far off of each other. I guess the point I am trying to make is: the 80's may already have arrived and we just don't know it.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySun May 17, 2020 8:10 pm

@jak341 wrote:
I have no qualms about picking Rosen up for a low draft pick or as a signing. On the other hand, he has been effectively shown the door by 2 franchises already. What are we not seeing that other franchises are, perhaps during practice and team meetings? There were always concerns about his work ethic. I wonder if this is factoring in.

I find it interesting; the comparisons to the post Bradshaw Steelers in the 1980s. So, using this site, I looked at the times we made the playoffs and the numbers of playoff wins. We made the SB in 1979 and won. We made the SB in 2010 and lost. I will start at the season directly after.

From 1980-1990, the Steelers made the playoffs 4 times (1982, 1983, 1984, 1989). In those years, there were 2 playoff wins in the 4 appearances.

From 2011 to today, the Steelers made the playoffs 5 times (2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017). In these years, there were 3 playoff wins in the five appearances.

If we miss the playoffs this year, and it will be harder to miss with the addition of an extra team, the numbers from the 80's and today aren't that far off of each other. I guess the point I am trying to make is: the 80's may already have arrived and we just don't know it.

rosen during the draft process came off as being very arrogant. perhaps this start to his career will humble him.

different teams with different coaches ,GM's,  and different problems. i strongly believe they would have won 1 maybe 2 more superbowls with someone more competent than kordell . from bradshaw till Ben we went through some shitty qb's. all would have been avoided by selecting dan marino with that 1983 21st selection... Where does it go from here? - Page 13 1505004552

fun fact - in that 1983 draft of 12 players, the steelers didn't pick a single noteable player unless you count gabe riveria, who people label a bust for getting himself paralyzed in an accident. how dare he screw us like that Rolling Eyes
2 hall of famers picked within 7 picks after the steelers, marino and darrell green.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptySun May 17, 2020 11:43 pm

Rosen has not been well-liked anywhere he's been. NOT a good sign. There's no reason to think he will all of a sudden spawn into someone different. I say stay away.

RIP Gabe Rivera who died in 2018. A shame he was injured in the accident. Yeah, that 1983 draft was a bad one.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyMon May 18, 2020 6:47 am

I agree with MOP about Rosen being given a chance. He's way more talented than Paxton Lynch and like he said he never was in a place to succeed. Rookie coaches, bad OL's, no talented receivers that's simply too much to overcome for any inexperienced QB. I know people say his character isn't up to par, but his reaction when he was traded away after one season was classy wishing Kyler Murray all the best.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26613906/rosen-traded-dolphins-wishes-murray-best

In his second season he arrived in a team where they were tanking for Tua Tagovailoa, causing several good players like Minkah Fitzpatrick wanting to leave to other teams. We all know how that ended. Not once did he complain.

Last edited by Stella Nation on Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyMon May 18, 2020 6:50 am

@Great Randino wrote:
Rosen has not been well-liked anywhere he's been.  NOT a good sign.  There's no reason to think he will all of a sudden spawn into someone different.  I say stay away.

RIP Gabe Rivera who died in 2018.  A shame he was injured in the accident.  Yeah, that 1983 draft was a bad one.

Completely not true. He was very liked by his teammates in Arizona. They publicly said so AFTER he was traded.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/27/former-cardinals-teammates-publicly-wish-josh-rosen-well-after-trade-to-dolphins/
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyMon May 18, 2020 9:14 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
I agree with MOP about Rosen being given a chance. He's way more talented than Paxton Lynch and like he said he never was in a place to succeed. Rookie coaches, bad OL's, no talented receivers that's simply too much to overcome for any inexperienced QB. I know people say his character isn't up to par, but his reaction when he was traded away after one season was classy wishing Kyler Murray all the best.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26613906/rosen-traded-dolphins-wishes-murray-best

In his second season he arrived in a team where they were tanking for Tua Tagovailoa, causing several good players like Minkah Fitzpatrick wanting to leave to other teams. We all know how that ended. Not once did he complain.

yep..he was given 2 new coaches who had plans that didnt include rosen. arizonas new coach was bringing the college air raid offense to the NFL which rosen was not a fit for but kylar murray was.
the dolphins had Tua set in there sights all along.
again i'll repeat i dont know if rosen will ever be a good NFL qb, but i do know he was a better college QB than rudolf or paxton. Rosen was also touted as "the most NFL ready QB"  in that draft class. also as i said before , its time for the steelers to start turning over every stone to find Bens replacement. we all know sometimes it takes teams years and even decades to find a keeper.

Rosen does throw a pretty pass. nice tight spirals and good velocity or touch when needed.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 EmptyMon May 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Bring Rosen in he got a raw deal 2 years in a row. I watched him play in Arizona the kid would snap the ball and had to run the second the ball got to his hands because his Line was absolute garbage. Then the move to the Dolphins was just a shit show from the start.

Rosen is better then Rudolph, Lynch, or Hodges hands down. Give him a year to sit and learn and gain some confidence back in his ability. He could be exactly what we need when BB hangs it up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where does it go from here?   Where does it go from here? - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Where does it go from here?
Page 13 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: