Homecould or should they consider a FA QB? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

could or should they consider a FA QB?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

could or should they consider a FA QB? Empty
PostSubject: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 3:11 am

there are a few under achieving high pick qb free agents.
marcus marioto
teddy bridgewater
jameis winston

could any of them live up to their draft selection with another team ? a better team ? bridgewater played very well in place of brees. who also is a FA. the saints may just decide to ride with teddy considering drews age.
the sad thing is even one of these underachievers will still cost a team 20+ million a year to find out if  they really suck. personally i dont see old Ben coming in and playing well after his type of injury. that along with what we have seen with rudolf and the lack of draft choices, i think i would gamble on one of these guys with a short term contract.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 4:10 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
marcus marioto
teddy bridgewater
jameis winston

could any of them live up to their draft selection with another team ? a better team ? bridgewater played very well in place of brees. who also is a FA. the saints may just decide to ride with teddy considering drews age.
the sad thing is even one of these underachievers will still cost a team 20+ million a year to find out if  they really suck. personally i dont see old Ben coming in and playing well after his type of injury. that along with what we have seen with rudolf and the lack of draft choices, i think i would gamble on one of these guys with a short term contract.

Mariota is a bust. Winston was 30/30 last year. The only one I think could help is Bridgewater but at what cost? I do agree that Ben's career could very well be over like Bradshaw. I'm hoping that Canada can help Rudolph become a good enough QB to win games for us.Here's the other thing. Medical technology has advanced significantly since the 70s-80s. An old Ben that can still throw the ball would be better than all of the above.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 11:12 am

@solardave wrote:
marcus marioto
teddy bridgewater
jameis winston

Mariota is a bust. Winston was 30/30 last year. The only one I think could help is Bridgewater but at what cost? I do agree that Ben's career could very well be over like Bradshaw. I'm hoping that Canada can help Rudolph become a good enough QB  to win games for us.Here's the other thing. Medical technology has advanced significantly since the 70s-80s. An old Ben that can still throw the ball would be better than all of the above.
Not much to add, you nailed it.

I don't know why anyone would want Winston on their team. Low character turnover machine. There's no way any of these guys would be in our price range considering the $ we have tied up in Ben. Next year we're just going to have to eat it and hope he is able to play (he won't be). And yes - hope Canada can help the backups (whoever they may be) be respectable. And hopefully someone an help the receivers learn to get separation so someone behind center has a chance.

Oh yeah - Saints won't be letting Brees go. That much I'm certain of. The guy is amazing and hasn't seemed to drop off at all at age 40. Unlike Brady who should just retire.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 11:40 am

Not to mention: cap room is razor thin.

Take it for what it is worth: some reddit number crunchers say this is the worst the Steelers have been in cap wise in years.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 5:58 pm

@solardave wrote:
marcus marioto
teddy bridgewater
jameis winston

Mariota is a bust. Winston was 30/30 last year. The only one I think could help is Bridgewater but at what cost? I do agree that Ben's career could very well be over like Bradshaw. I'm hoping that Canada can help Rudolph become a good enough QB  to win games for us.Here's the other thing. Medical technology has advanced significantly since the 70s-80s. An old Ben that can still throw the ball would be better than all of the above.

the guy who replaced Mariota. Tannenhill...did you not consider him a bust ? i along with every dolphin fan sure did. he came in and started 10 games and put up a qb rating of 117.5 Shocked and a 70% completion percentage and an average of 9.6 yards per pass...any qb would be thrilled to have those stats.
did he sell his soul to the devil for 1 good season ?

oh almost forgot..Tannenhill is also a FA...do you think the titans will resign that bust ?  could or should they consider a FA QB? 1797695198

i'm not suggesting mariota isnt a bust but sometimes a change of scenery can jump start a player. look at dupree...just switching sides on the line made him look like a better player. could or should they consider a FA QB? 2087824411
speaking of change of scenery drew brees sucked so bad in san diego his first couple of years they spent another first on rivers ... could or should they consider a FA QB? 2087824411

oh almost forgot..Tannenhill is also a free agent, but i didnt list him because im pretty sure the titans will resign that bust... could or should they consider a FA QB? 1797695198
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 7:56 am

@solardave wrote:
marcus marioto
teddy bridgewater
jameis winston

the guy who replaced Mariota. Tannenhill...did you not consider him a bust ? i along with every dolphin fan sure did. he came in and started 10 games and put up a qb rating of 117.5 Shocked and a 70% completion percentage and an average of 9.6 yards per pass...any qb would be thrilled to have those stats.
did he sell his soul to the devil for 1 good season ?

oh almost forgot..Tannenhill is also a FA...do you think the titans will resign that bust ?  could or should they consider a FA QB? 1797695198

i'm not suggesting mariota isnt a bust but sometimes a change of scenery can jump start a player. look at dupree...just switching sides on the line made him look like a better player. could or should they consider a FA QB? 2087824411
speaking of change of scenery drew brees sucked so bad in san diego his first couple of years they spent another first on rivers ... could or should they consider a FA QB? 2087824411

oh almost forgot..Tannenhill is also a free agent, but i didnt list him because im pretty sure the titans will resign that bust... could or should they consider a FA QB? 1797695198

Mariota https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariMa01.htm

Tannehill https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm

I'm almost positive a change of scenery won't help Winston or Mariota. Especially with Fitchner calling plays. could or should they consider a FA QB? 2913999526
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 9:43 am

do not, I mean Do Not, I repeat DO NOT go after Winston.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION could or should they consider a FA QB? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 11:14 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
do not, I mean Do Not, I repeat DO NOT go after Winston.
I couldn't agree more. Cannot stand that POS.

Mariotta, I'd take him if the $ worked out - but they probably won't. Can't afford to give him starter money, and I would guess he would be looking for that (although, maybe one one will give him starter $ so there is that).

He's a quality guy though, so I'd certainly kick the tires on it. Steelers will NOT - unless Big Ben can't play. Then all options (except expensive ones because we'll still be paying Ben's salary) are on the table.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 pm

Well Ryan T had the right kind of fit. And that Titans was looking for a QB that could do so. When Mariota was benched, it now seems his days with team are over and done.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 1:59 am

There's simply not enough cap space, and Ben has reiterated he's coming back. No sense in trying to bring in some FA QB at this point. Roll with Ben, and hope that he can stay healthy and if he does get hurt that the backups only have to play in spurts.

We are really up against the cap, Colbert and the FO are going to have to work their magic this offseason.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 4:53 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
There's simply not enough cap space, and Ben has reiterated he's coming back. No sense in trying to bring in some FA QB at this point. Roll with Ben, and hope that he can stay healthy and if he does get hurt that the backups only have to play in spurts.

We are really up against the cap, Colbert and the FO are going to have to work their magic this offseason.

You're right about the cap. I've read in a couple places that we may not even try to sign Dupree. I think I posted the video about the cap and it doesn't look good unless they let some guys walk and take chances with the younger talent. I hope Skipper steps up.

I believe our main problem will be O-line and TE. I don't have any faith in McDonald stating healthy and there was no one to test out Vannett.

The couple I think we let walk for sure are

Chickillo
McCullers
They said Alualu could be a cap casualty too. Maybe that means they see something in Buggs.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Barron
McDonald
Chickillo

Will make wiggle room for Dupree but I think they will franchise him to see if he can replicate this last season.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: could or should they consider a FA QB?   could or should they consider a FA QB? Empty

Back to top Go down

could or should they consider a FA QB?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: