HomeSteelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers Mock Drafts 2020

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 8:18 am

I do wish they would've picked up Dobbins from OSU (as much as I hate OSU), he reminds of MDJ and Ray Rice type of runner.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it bothers me the ratbirds picked him up two picks later.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 9:37 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
I do wish they would've picked up Dobbins from OSU (as much as I hate OSU), he reminds of MDJ and Ray Rice type of runner.

You're not wrong. We should've picked Akers or Dobbins. The Rams were between us and the Ravens and they took Akers, which would have left Baltimore without a top tier RB. I don't hate the Chasepool pick, but Akers or Dobbins likely would have solved our RB#1 situation. While Chasepool and McFarland both can be good picks (the future will tell), they don't have the profile to be WR#1 or RB#1. Chasepool maybe if he develops really well, McFarland certainly not. He can be a nice addition to our RB corpse, but that's it. There were also more quality WR's available in round 4 than RB's, so first going RB and then going WR would be more logical.

What bothers me the most is that both Chasepool and Dotson would've been excellent picks a couple of years ago, because they both have high upside and a low floor and with the right coaches they could really boom. Drake and Munchak could have done that, I doubt our current coaches will have the same success.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 9:45 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
now lets look at tomlin and colberts shitty 1-3 picks. again these are just my opinions of guys i thought were a waste of a draft pick even if they were contributors. sanders didnt do much for the steelers but he has proven to be a solid player. i think edmunds will be on the "black " list along with davis in 2 years. they played, but were average at best. so in my opinion they are hitting on less than 50% on the first 3 rounds and less than 10% on the rest.

2007 - timmons, woodley ,spaeth
2008 - mendenhall, sweed, davis
2009 - hood,urbik,wallace
2010 -pouncy,worilds,sanders
2011- heyward,gilbert,brown
2012 - decastro,adams,spence
2013 - jones,bell,wheaton
2014 - shazier ,tuitt, archer
2015 - dupree golson, coates
2016 - burns, davis ,hargrave
2017 - watt, JUjU , sutton
2018 - edmunds , washington , rudolf

Very interesting and you're right in your assessments. You have forgotton a couple of players when the Steelers got multiple picks in round 3: Keenan Lewis (2009), Conner (2017) and Okorafor (2018).
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:

You're not wrong. We should've picked Akers or Dobbins. The Rams were between us and the Ravens and they took Akers, which would have left Baltimore without a top tier RB. I don't hate the Chasepool pick, but Akers or Dobbins likely would have solved our RB#1 situation. While Chasepool and McFarland both can be good picks (the future will tell), they don't have the profile to be WR#1 or RB#1. Chasepool maybe if he develops really well, McFarland certainly not. He can be a nice addition to our RB corpse, but that's it. There were also more quality WR's available in round 4 than RB's, so first going RB and then going WR would be more logical.

What bothers me the most is that both Chasepool and Dotson would've been excellent picks a couple of years ago, because they both have high upside and a low floor and with the right coaches they could really boom. Drake and Munchak could have done that, I doubt our current coaches will have the same success.

I was thinking RB would be the best pick as well. However, I'm not down on their picks. Really, WR instead of RB at #49 tells me they feel the best bang for their buck is having more receiving weapons for Ben over the next 2 seasons. The beauty of Claypool is that he will start as the #4 WR on the team and going against the opponents #4 CB. His physical abilities (6'4" 233lbs with a 4.4 40), even if he's not the sharpest route runner day one, makes that match-up pretty darn good. Also, if you lose JuJu next year, we might be glad we have Claypool on the team.

Don't count McFarland out. I admit that I'm an optimist with every draft pick, until the player shows they can't get it done. I think he's a replacement for Whyte and has an excellent one-step cut. His acceleration off that cut is very quick. Do I expect him to take Conner's job? No. But he is a change of pace back that they really don't have (maybe Whyte last year). Samuels might be at risk of losing his position as well, who knows.

As for Claypool and Dotson not having the coaches that can best development them, I don't agree. Ike Hilliard has been a receiver coach in the NFL for 10 years and has the player pedigree to command respect from his young WRs. Although he's new to the Steelers, I don't expect him to do worse than Ray Sherman (who I do like as a coach) who held the interim WR coach title last year. Dotson has it made. No he doesn't have Munch, but he walks into an O-line room of very experienced veterans who all served a number of years under Munch. One thing I have heard is how Munch developed his coaches as well as his players. He's a leader and a professional. I doubt Shaun Sarrett was given the O-Line coach position without Munch telling Tomlin and the Rooney's that he had faith Sarrett was ready for the job.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 11:59 am

I hope you're right about the coaching. That's more important than the draft picks.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 6:44 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
I hope you're right about the coaching. That's more important than the draft picks.

Yeah, I hope I'm right too.

I'm not just a homer for the entire staff.  I tend to like Tomlin, but think he shouldn't have Trent Dilfered his young QBs last season. I've also thought the Steelers losing to very bad teams is a trend he needs to escape. My opinion of Porter and Lake as coaches was low. Love those guys as players, but the results they were putting out on the field were poor. In my opinion, the OLBs under-performed with Porter as their coach. One year after he left, Dupree becomes a stud. Too bad the Steelers have to franchise him to keep him another year. In Lake's defense, the Steelers didn't give him the best talent. It's not right to say that 2 years after Lake left, the Steelers secondary became a strength of the team, because better talent was brought in. But he didn't find any diamonds in the rough either and his guys didn't develop much.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 2:42 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
now lets look at tomlin and colberts shitty 1-3 picks. again these are just my opinions of guys i thought were a waste of a draft pick even if they were contributors. sanders didnt do much for the steelers but he has proven to be a solid player. i think edmunds will be on the "black " list along with davis in 2 years. they played, but were average at best. so in my opinion they are hitting on less than 50% on the first 3 rounds and less than 10% on the rest.

2007 - timmons, woodley ,spaeth
2008 - mendenhall, sweed, davis
2009 - hood,urbik,wallace
2010 -pouncy,worilds,sanders
2011- heyward,gilbert,brown
2012 - decastro,adams,spence
2013 - jones,bell,wheaton
2014 - shazier ,tuitt, archer
2015 - dupree golson, coates
2016 - burns, davis ,hargrave
2017 - watt, JUjU , sutton
2018 - edmunds , washington , rudolf

Very interesting and you're right in your assessments. You have forgotton a couple of players when the Steelers got multiple picks in round 3: Keenan Lewis (2009), Conner (2017) and Okorafor (2018).
damn your right. so that about brings em to 50% still doesn't scream genius draft guru ... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 1401235891
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 5:13 am

Of all the coaches mentioned past and present I want to believe the one that will be instrumental will be Canada. Tomlin has said he doesn't care where ideas come from and with Claypool we now have a WR who can RAC like a TE. I think we will see some new wrinkles in our offense and that could possibly be why they passed on Akers and Dobbins. Don't forget the upgrade at FB. I loved Rosie but he stayed injured most of the last 2 seasons. I also believe DW will help our running attack. We may see more screens to him. I'm optimistic about this season.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 1:02 pm

@solardave wrote:
Of all the coaches mentioned past and present I want to believe the one that will be instrumental will be Canada. Tomlin has said he doesn't care where ideas come from and with Claypool we now have a WR who can RAC like a TE. I think we will see some new wrinkles in our offense and that could possibly be why they passed on Akers and Dobbins. Don't forget the upgrade at FB. I loved Rosie but he stayed injured most of the last 2 seasons. I also believe DW will help our running attack. We may see more screens to him. I'm optimistic about this season.

I think you might be right. As a QB coach, his QBs tended to have high TD to lower INT rates. As an offensive coordinator, his offenses tended to put plenty of points on the board. Sounds like a very respected guy in the college ranks. If the Steelers don't pick up a veteran backup QB, Canada will be instrumental in developing the younger guys to step in if Ben goes down. Who knows, Canada might be Fitchner's replacement some day.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2020 6:27 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:

I think you might be right. As a QB coach, his QBs tended to have high TD to lower INT rates. As an offensive coordinator, his offenses tended to put plenty of points on the board. Sounds like a very respected guy in the college ranks. If the Steelers don't pick up a veteran backup QB, Canada will be instrumental in developing the younger guys to step in if Ben goes down. Who knows, Canada might be Fitchner's replacement some day.

All through the season some of us (I was one) were saying Fitchner should be fired at season's end. In comes Canada and I think he could very well be Fitchner's replacement if we don't at least make the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2020 1:58 pm

@solardave wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:

All through the season some of us (I was one) were saying Fitchner should be fired at season's end. In comes Canada and I think he could very well be Fitchner's replacement if we don't at least make the playoffs.

Maybe, or maybe it was Tomlin's fault for cramming down the attitude that the QBs should be well confined last season. Matt Williamson said during a draft show that it was beyond obvious the young QBs were harnessed and coached to throw short or throw it in the dirt. I really don't think that's because the QBs sucked, I think it was living in his fears. Having done some youth coaching, I've learned to avoid 2nd guessing coaches. It's amazing how much everyone else knows better than the people sitting in daily practice and creating the schemes. However, I really think there was a mentality that they would win on defense as long as the offense didn't screw it up. But it didn't work, did it?

So not sure if Fitchner is any good or not. But I do like the idea that Fitchner can focus on the Xs and Os and the bigger picture and Canada can get into the details of developing the younger QBs.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptySat May 02, 2020 6:31 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:

Maybe, or maybe it was Tomlin's fault for cramming down the attitude that the QBs should be well confined last season. Matt Williamson said during a draft show that it was beyond obvious the young QBs were harnessed and coached to throw short or throw it in the dirt. I really don't think that's because the QBs sucked, I think it was living in his fears. Having done some youth coaching, I've learned to avoid 2nd guessing coaches. It's amazing how much everyone else knows better than the people sitting in daily practice and creating the schemes. However, I really think there was a mentality that they would win on defense as long as the offense didn't screw it up. But it didn't work, did it?

So not sure if Fitchner is any good or not. But I do like the idea that Fitchner can focus on the Xs and Os and the bigger picture and Canada can get into the details of developing the younger QBs.

I think when Ben is in he has a lot more leeway and it works so it makes Fitchner look good but for the most part his offense is vanilla and plain. Maybe with Claypool, Ebron and Watt as a shot in the arm he can get more creative. Question is: is he smart enough?
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptySun May 03, 2020 12:14 am

Yeah as it seems Big Ben makes decisions as one of the senior players on the team. He does have leeway!

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 EmptyThu May 07, 2020 2:40 am

@stlrtruck wrote:

So he throws mean haymakers in public elevators? Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 1797695198

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers Mock Drafts 2020
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: