Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers Mock Drafts 2020

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 10:44 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I love James Conner, great story, Pitt guy, tough SOB. His body is betraying him though. When healthy he's a damned good RB, but he has serious issues staying healthy. I don't know that he can be a bell cow right now. I hope he bounces back but we all know RB is the shortest lived position and yet it remains one of the most important. Dobbins/Taylor/Akers would be great additions to the offense and they could shoulder some of the load so Conner doesn't have to shoulder it all. I also like Samuels but he doesn't seem like much  outside of a change of pace.

i listened to a podcast, and they discussed dobbins and ayers. they said dobbins just doesn't "create". by create they meant if the hole wasn't their he didn't get much on his own, dobbins success was attributed to his oline like all those alabama NFL underachievers ,where as ayers played behind a shitty oline and still managed to find running room. if the steelers dont soon start investing in the oline they will need an ayers type of guy.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 6:01 am

I believe Dobbins and Taylor will be long gone before 49, Akers possibly too. I predict an early run on RB's, because teams haven't had the chance to thoroughly investigate the prospects, have less information than usual and RB's are generally a safe pick. That's why I think the top tier (Dobbins, Taylor, Swift, Akers, Edwards-Hilaire and Moss) will be all gone before we're on the board.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 4:08 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I love James Conner, great story, Pitt guy, tough SOB. His body is betraying him though. When healthy he's a damned good RB, but he has serious issues staying healthy. I don't know that he can be a bell cow right now. I hope he bounces back but we all know RB is the shortest lived position and yet it remains one of the most important. Dobbins/Taylor/Akers would be great additions to the offense and they could shoulder some of the load so Conner doesn't have to shoulder it all. I also like Samuels but he doesn't seem like much  outside of a change of pace.

i listened to a podcast, and they discussed dobbins and ayers. they said dobbins just doesn't "create". by create they meant if the hole wasn't their he didn't get much on his own, dobbins success was attributed to his oline like all those alabama NFL underachievers ,where as ayers played behind a shitty oline and still managed to find running room. if the steelers dont soon start investing in the oline they will need an ayers type of guy.

Watching highlights of Dobbins one of the things that pops out to me is his field vision. Sure he has some pretty damned good O-Lineman blocking for him, but I also saw good vision from him when the running lanes were small. He's got a little bit of pep in his step, he can juke guys out of their cleats at times, but for the most part he looks to me to be a North-South guy that'll make a cut or two. Honestly I see him kind of like Benny Snell, a good combination of size and power but I think Dobbins is definitely more athletic (faster) than Snell is.

I agree we need to invest in the O-Line, but I also think we should take the best player available with our 2nd Round pick, if Taylor, Dobbins, or Akers are on the board I'd take one of them. All three of them are talented and provide what the Steelers seem to covet in running backs. I just don't like our running back situation right now, as much as I love JC the guy just can't seem to stay healthy and we saw how much the running game suffered without him. Samuels/Snell are guys that can provide a start here and there, or spell the bell cow when he needs a breather but neither one of them looks like they can be the guy. Samuels is better used in his swiss-army knife role.

I think we can find good offensive lineman later in the draft as well, but I wouldn't be opposed if they took one with one of our higher picks either, I agree we need to improve, they were really weak in their run blocking last season, and we need the running game to be successful to be at our best.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 5:28 am

BPA with our first pick. If one of the top RBs is available we should go there and all the top OL guys will be gone by #49 I think but that doesn't mean we can't find depth in round 3. I'm not happy with the Ebron signing either. I think he could bring his shitty attitude to the locker room. We don't need that. They are saying this will be a "virtual" draft so who knows what will actually transpire? We could have an instant impact player fall to us in the 2nd.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 11:28 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
I believe Dobbins and Taylor will be long gone before 49, Akers possibly too. I predict an early run on RB's, because teams haven't had the chance to thoroughly investigate the prospects, have less information than usual and RB's are generally a safe pick. That's why I think the top tier (Dobbins, Taylor, Swift, Akers, Edwards-Hilaire and Moss) will be all gone before we're on the board.

You might be right. However, if there's a run on RBs and all those guys are gone by #49, the Steelers will have several awesome players available to them, including a handful of WRs who would otherwise be 1st round talent. Some of the great picks the Steelers have had in the 2nd round have come because there were runs on certain positions that left other talent on the board. Hell, even though it was in the 1st round, they got DeCastro because he should have been gone before the Steelers picked him at 24th ... he was a top 15 talent and it's shown. I think that was the year they were looking at Hightower at ILB, but DeCastro was still on the board ... they couldn't run to the podium fast enough. Go ahead and let those RBs fall off the board, the Steelers will have some good selections.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 12:23 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Watching highlights of Dobbins one of the things that pops out to me is his field vision. Sure he has some pretty damned good O-Lineman blocking for him, but I also saw good vision from him when the running lanes were small. He's got a little bit of pep in his step, he can juke guys out of their cleats at times, but for the most part he looks to me to be a North-South guy that'll make a cut or two. Honestly I see him kind of like Benny Snell, a good combination of size and power but I think Dobbins is definitely more athletic (faster) than Snell is.

I agree we need to invest in the O-Line, but I also think we should take the best player available with our 2nd Round pick, if Taylor, Dobbins, or Akers are on the board I'd take one of them. All three of them are talented and provide what the Steelers seem to covet in running backs. I just don't like our running back situation right now, as much as I love JC the guy just can't seem to stay healthy and we saw how much the running game suffered without him. Samuels/Snell are guys that can provide a start here and there, or spell the bell cow when he needs a breather but neither one of them looks like they can be the guy. Samuels is better used in his swiss-army knife role.

I think we can find good offensive lineman later in the draft as well, but I wouldn't be opposed if they took one with one of our higher picks either, I agree we need to improve, they were really weak in their run blocking last season, and we need the running game to be successful to be at our best.

I still think their O-line wasn't bad last year. The issues they had weren't due to talent. Inexperienced QBs and RBs played a big role. Not only were pre-snap calls that Ben would normally make weren't made, but the pre-snap reads that Connor makes weren't being made by the back-up RBs. Also, the coaching that prevented 2 young QBs, who were known as slingers unafraid of stretching the field in college, prevented these guys from stretching the field. Easy to load the box and dare them to throw deep, which the coaches obviously discouraged unless necessary.

I really like the grit Foster played his career with. But Wisniewski and Feiler will be better this upcoming season than Foster was last season. Again, I don't think Foster played poorly, but his speed and footwork (which weren't the best to begin with) were not as good as when he was much younger.

It's easy to say you need to draft a guy who can come in and become a starter, but it's another finding those guys. Solomon Kindley, Georgia, I think might be the best guard in the draft. However, he can't seem to put the fork down and is just too damned overweight. There's talk that teams are seeing him as a 3+ round guy. If there's someone I'd take at #49, it would be Tristan Wirfs (Iowa, can you guess where he played?). There's talk that because he was so mobile, he'd be a LT in the NFL. But he should make for an excellent G. Or you draft him as big Al's replacement. Outside of those two who are interior O-linemen, it's mid-to-late round guys who are projects. There's a handful of Tackles coming out, but there's plenty of depth on the team at that position and I don't think the need is there.

I see their order of needs as: RB, TE, ILB, S, CB, OLB, WR, DL, OL, Q

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 1:26 am

the best argument to be made for which way they "should" go in the draft , is ntoo look at next years free agents.

OT

Alejandro Villanueva
Matt Feiler
Zach Banner

TE
Vance McDonald

CB
Joe Haden
Mike Hilton

S

Cameron Sutton

DL
Cameron Heyward
Tyson Alualu
Daniel McCullers
Chris Wormley

WR
JuJu
Ryan Switzer

RB
James Conner

Last edited by Master_Of_Puppets on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 1:37 am

I can see them moving feiler to LG and Banner to RT just to see who is worthy of another contract. but the thought of losing 2 starting tackles and pinning your hopes on....well we dont know who...banner has what ? 1 start under his belt ? and who will be the LT if Villinueva departs ? what if banner really really sucks. what if every tackle on the roster right now really really sucks this year ?

you can survive and even win in todays NFL with a less than stellar running game, but you cant survive with a less than stellar running game and a piss poor passing attack because the Oline sucks .
good line can make an average RB look good. good linemen give the qb more time to find open receivers. how did the great leveon bell with all his talent do running behind the jets line last season ?
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 6:21 am

the best argument to be made for which way they "should" go in the draft , is ntoo look at next years free agents.

OT

Alejandro Villanueva
Matt Feiler
Zach Banner

TE
Vance McDonald

CB
Joe Haden
Mike Hilton

S

Trey Edmunds
Cameron Sutton

DL
Cameron Heyward
Tyson Alualu
Daniel McCullers
Chris Wormley

WR
JuJu
Ryan Switzer

RB
James Conner

Thanks for this list, very useful. You've forgotten Dupree, which makes OLB our biggest need imo since we already lack a quality back-up. Trey Edmunds is not a safety (that's his brother), but a RB. Of this list they should definitely resign Feiler and Heyward, maybe JuJu and a couple of other players depending on their price. Preferably Banner, Haden, Hilton or Sutton and Alualu or Wormley. Conner too, if he doesn't ask for RB#1 money.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 am

I can see them moving feiler to LG and Banner to RT just to see who is worthy of another contract. but the thought of losing 2 starting tackles and pinning your hopes on....well we dont know who...banner has what ? 1 start under his belt ? and who will be the LT if Villinueva departs ? what if banner really really sucks. what if every tackle on the roster right now really really sucks this year ?

you can survive and even win in todays NFL with a less than stellar running game, but you cant survive with a less than stellar running game and a piss poor passing attack because the Oline sucks .
good line can make an average RB look good. good linemen give the qb more time to find open receivers. how did the great leveon bell with all his talent do running behind the jets line last season ?

I'm not disagreeing with your mindset. You win or lose based on how the battle in the trenches plays out. However, I think a good RB on last year's squad would have gotten the Steelers into the playoffs and I don't think the talent on the O-line was lacking. Inexperienced QBs and RBs hosed that entire offense last year.

Given Ben's just about done and the Steelers seem to want to make a push before he walks off the field, I believe their best chance of doing that is to get a RB who is a play maker.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 5:12 pm

Mel K. has us taking Hurts. Screen shot as part of Reddit discussion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/steelers/comments/g16hez/wot/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 12:38 am

@Stella Nation wrote:

OT

Alejandro Villanueva
Matt Feiler
Zach Banner

TE
Vance McDonald

CB
Joe Haden
Mike Hilton

S

Trey Edmunds
Cameron Sutton

DL
Cameron Heyward
Tyson Alualu
Daniel McCullers
Chris Wormley

WR
JuJu
Ryan Switzer

RB
James Conner

Thanks for this list, very useful. You've forgotten Dupree, which makes OLB our biggest need imo since we already lack a quality back-up. Trey Edmunds is not a safety (that's his brother), but a RB. Of this list they should definitely resign Feiler and Heyward, maybe JuJu and a couple of other players depending on their price. Preferably Banner, Haden, Hilton or Sutton and Alualu or Wormley. Conner too, if he doesn't ask for RB#1 money.

we all know dupree's situation so i didnt list him...there are many more free agents coming up in 2021 but i only listed the ones who have been on game day rosters......jordan berry is also up.

2021 is also an option year for watt and vance mcdonald...they have to make moves on decisions for 7 of last years starters, 8 if you include berry.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 18, 2020 10:59 am

I like this Hurts story a lot more.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/how-jalen-hurts-could-play-into-the-steelers-draft-plans-without-drafting-him/
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Ray Fittipaldo from Pittsburgh Post Gazette draft guide of top players at each position. I don't know anything about him and am not saying I hope Steelers draft him, but WR Henry Ruggs III 4.27 speed seems incredible.

In keeping with forum rules for posting entire articles I did not post the Tight ends.

Quote :

2020 NFL draft: Ray Fittipaldo's top five players at each position

Name, height, weight, school, 40-yard dash, class

QUARTERBACKS

1. Joe Burrow, 6-3, 221, LSU, NA, Sr. — Former Buckeye led LSU to national title after transfer. Cincinnati should bring him back home as the No. 1 pick.

2. Tua Tagovailoa, 6-0, 217, Alabama, NA, Jr. — Dual-threat southpaw with national championship pedigree, but hip injury is worrisome.

3. Justin Herbert, 6-6, 236, Oregon, 4.68, Sr. — Big, strong-armed and fast to boot. Has to become a more accurate passer.

4. Jordan Love, 6-4, 224, Utah State, 4.74, Jr. — Has to cut down on INTs, but Love has the size, arm and athletic ability teams covet.

5. Jacob Eason, 6-6, 231, Washington, 4.89, Jr. — Prototypical pocket passer, but lack of mobility means his offensive line must be strong.

RUNNING BACKS

1. D’Andre Swift, 5-8, 212, Georgia, 4.48, Jr. — Has the skills to step in as a rookie and start after earning all-SEC honors last season.

2. Jonathan Taylor, 5-11, 226, Wisconsin, 4.39, Jr. — Productive, durable and a home-run threat. Mileage and fumbling are concerns.

3. Cam Akers, 5-10, 217, Florida State, 4.47, Jr. — An elusive and tough three-down feature back, Akers will be a better pro than college player.

4. Clyde Edwards-Helaire, 5-7, 207, LSU, 4.60, Jr. — Creative runner with strong receiving skills, but there are questions about his size and ability to pass protect.

5. J.K. Dobbins, 5-9, 209, Ohio State, NA, Jr. — Three-year starter that relies on hard-nosed running style and power.

RECEIVERS

1. Jerry Jeudy, 6-1, 193, Alabama, 4.45, Jr. — Electric playmaker that can stretch the field but also is effective with short and intermediate routes.

2. Ceedee Lamb, 6-2, 198, Oklahoma, 4.5, Jr. — Big-play potential every time he touches the ball. He averaged 21.4 yards per catch.

3. Henry Ruggs III, 5-11, 188, Alabama, 4.27, Jr. — Fastest player in the draft with good hands to boot. Size against physical corners is a concern.

4. Tee Higgins, 6-4, 216, Clemson, NA, Jr. — Deep threat with excellent ball skills, Higgins scored 13 touchdowns with only 59 receptions.

5. Laviska Shenault, 6-1, 227, Colorado, 4.58, Jr. — Dynamic playmaker that can rack up yards after the catch. Has speed and ball skills to be a dangerous deep threat, too. Injury history is a concern.

CENTERS

1. Lloyd Cushenberry, 6-3, 312, LSU, Jr. — Proved himself on the big stage with all-SEC honors. Powerful enough to handle big noses and strong in pass protection.

2. Cesar Ruiz, 6-3, 307, Michigan, 5.08, Jr. — Athletic option for a zone-heavy scheme. Bigger defensive tackles will challenge him because he lacks pure power.

3. Tyler Biadasz, 6-4, 314, Wisconsin, NA, Jr. — Three-year starter helped pave the way for Jonathan Taylor. Strong with his technique.

4. Nick Harris, 6-1, 302, Washington, 5.1, Sr. — Quickness and toughness makes up for his lack of size. Has experience at guard, which will be a plus for teams looking for versatility.

5. Matt Hennessy, 6-4, 307, Temple, 5.18, Jr. — Another undersized but tough player with plenty of starting experience. Has to get stronger.

GUARDS

1. Robert Hunt, 6-5, 323, Louisiana-Lafayette, NA, Sr. — Played tackle his final two college seasons but best fit might be inside. Versatility is a big plus.

2. Netane Muti, 6-3, 315, Fresno State, NA, Jr. — The best power blocker among interior prospects, Muti did 44 reps on the bench at the combine. Injury history is a big concern.

3. John Simpson, 6-4, 321, Clemson, 5.24, Sr. — Another power blocker that will thrive in a downhill scheme. Plug-and-play potential.

4. Shane Lemieux, 6-4, 310, Oregon, 5.11, Sr. — A four-year starter and another tough power blocker on the inside.

5. Damien Lewis, 6-2, 327, LSU, 5.24, Sr. — Stout run-blocker with athletic limitations. Does not offer position flexibility, which decreases his value.

TACKLES

1. Jedrick Wills, 6-4, 312, Alabama, 5.05, Jr. — The best of a strong crop of tackles. He’s the total package and ready to start as a rookie.

2. Tristan Wirfs, 6-5, 320, Iowa, 4.85, Jr. — Rare true freshman starter at Iowa. Ready-made starter with big upside if he continues to develop. Can play guard, too.

3. Mekhi Bechton, 6-7, 364, Louisville, 5.1, Jr. — Humungous and athletic, Bechton could develop into one of the best players in this draft. Ability to manage his weight is a concern.

4. Andrew Thomas, 6-5, 315, Georgia, 5.22, Jr. — Played left side in college but could find a home on the right side in the NFL. Lacks elite athleticism, but excels as a competitor.

5. Isaiah Wilson, 6-6, 350, Georgia, 5.32, Soph. — NFL teams will be drawn to his size and upside. Possesses traits to be a longtime starter at right tackle.

INSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. Isaiah Simmons, 6-4, 238, Clemson, 4.39, Jr. — One of the most versatile players in this draft. Has experience at safety, corner and linebacker. Perfect chess piece for today’s NFL.

2. Patrick Queen, 6-0, 229, LSU, 4.5, Jr. — Another in a long line of LSU linebackers. Devin White went in the top 5 last year. Queen is a likely first-round pick, as well.

3. Kenneth Murray, 6-2, 241, Oklahoma, 4.52, Jr. — Sideline-to-sideline player with size and speed NFL teams covet. Three years as a starter in the Big 12.

4. Zack Baun, 6-2, 238, Wisconsin, 4.65, Jr. — Played on the edge in college, but does not have size to play there on a full-time basis in the NFL. Right coach will find a place for him to thrive.

5. Logan Wilson, 6-2, 241, Wyoming, 4.63, Jr. — Three-year college starter with three-down potential in the NFL. Versatile skill set geared toward spread game.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. K’Lavon Chaisson, 6-3, 254, LSU, NA, Soph. — Only one year as a full-time starter in college, but has loads of potential. Earned first-team all-SEC honors last fall.

2. Terrell Lewis, 6-5, 262, Alabama, NA, Jr. — Long and athletic edge rusher that has to add strength to deal with NFL tackles. Long injury history that wiped out almost two seasons a concern, as well.

3. Jabari Zuniga, 6-3, 264, Florida, 4.64, Sr. — Another defensive end that was asked to work out with the linebackers at the combine, Zuniga is another player that projects as either a 4-3 end or 3-4 outside linebacker. An ankle injury limited him to six games last fall.

4. Jonathan Greenard, 6-3, 263, Florida, 4.87, Sr. — Like Zuniga, his teammate with the Gators, Greenard is likely to play 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. Earned all-SEC honors after posting 9 ½ sacks after transferring from Louisville.

5. Anfernee Jennings, 6-2, 256, Alabama, NA, Sr. — Well-schooled and technically sound, Jennings might be the most well-rounded 3-4 outside linebacker prospect in this draft. Not an elite athlete, but he produced big-time when healthy for the Crimson Tide.

DEFENSIVE ENDS

1. Chase Young, 6-5, 264, Ohio State, NA, Jr. — Widely regarded as the best player in this draft. Following in the footsteps of the Bosa brothers as the next elite edge rusher out of Ohio State; posted 16 ½ sacks last fall.

2. A.J. Epenesa, 6-5, 275, Iowa, 5.04, Jr. — Produced big numbers in college with 26 ½ sacks in three seasons. Poor testing at the combine might decrease his value, as it’s unlikely now that he projects to a 3-4 outside linebacker.

3. Yetur Gross-Matos, 6-5, 266, Penn State, NA, Jr. — Recorded 17 ½ sacks over the past two seasons; has to add some weight and strength to excel against NFL linemen.

4. Marlon Davidson, 6-3, 303, Auburn, 5.04, Sr. — Four-year starter who recorded 7 ½ sacks last fall. Has size to play inside, but he did most of his damage as an end.

5. Alton Robinson, 6-3, 264, Syracuse, 4.69, Sr. — Produced 14 ½ sacks the past two seasons and has versatility and athleticism to fit almost any scheme. Must add more variety to pass-rush repertoire.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

1. Derrick Brown, 6-5, 326, Auburn, 5.16, Sr. — The best interior lineman in this draft. He can wreak havoc in the running game and as a pass rusher.

2. Javon Kinlaw, 6-5, 324, South Carolina, NA, Jr. — First-team All-American last fall. Best pass rush move is bull rush so he’ll have to expand his repertoire in the NFL.

3. Ross Blacklock, 6-3, 290, TCU, 4.9, Jr. — All-Big 12 last fall after missing the 2018 season with an Achilles’ injury. Must improve as a run defender, but he’s a gifted pass rusher.

4. Jordan Elliott, 6-4, 302, Missouri, 5.02, Jr. — Technically sound and athletic enough to fit any scheme, Elliott should hear his name called in the first two rounds. Only six career sacks.

5. Justin Madubuike, 6-3, 293, Texas A&M, 4.83, Jr. — Tallied 12 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 1 INT the past two seasons..

CORNERBACKS

1. Jeff Okudah, 6-1, 205, Ohio State, 4.48, Jr. — Earned first-team All-American honors in his only season as a starter. Hands down the top corner in this class.

2. C.J. Henderson, 6-1, 204, Florida, 4.39, Jr. — Has the size and athleticism to excel on the outside. Six career interceptions and two went for touchdowns when he was a freshman.

3. Jeff Gladney, 5-10, 191, TCU, 4.48, Sr. — Teams must decide if he’s an outside corner or a slot corner due to his size, but Gladney he had five career interceptions and earned all-Big 12 honors last fall.

4. Jaylon Johnson, 6-0, 193, Utah, 4.5, Jr. — Part of a talented Utes secondary that could have three players drafted. Johnson has athleticism and technique to make an impact as a rookie.

5. Trevon Diggs, 6-1, 205, Alabama, NA, Sr. — Brother of Bills receiver Stephon Diggs. Trevon played some receiver as a freshman but settled in at corner for his final three years and earned second-team all-SEC honors.

SAFETIES

1. Xavier McKinney, 6-0, 201, Alabama, 4.63, Jr. — Versatile player that can play free and strong safety and slot corner. Returned interceptions for touchdowns in each of the past two seasons.

2. Kyle Dugger, 6-1, 217, Lenoir-Rhyne, 4.49, Jr. — Elite athlete and multi-faceted defender that has to prove he can make the jump from Division II to the NFL. Adds value as a return specialist.

3. Ashtyn Davis, 6-1, 202, California, NA, Sr. — Former walk-on that also excelled in track. Has versatility and toughness that will make him more valuable for coaches that covet variety in sub-packages.

4. Grant Delpit, 6-2, 213, LSU, NA, Jr. — Played safety for the national champs, but has size to potentially become a nickel linebacker. Earned first-team All-American honors as a sophomore.

5. Antoine Winfield Jr., 5-9, 203, Minnesota, 4.45, Soph. — Big-time production last fall with 88 tackles, 7 INTs and 3 sacks that earned him first-team All-American honors. Injuries cut short his previous two seasons.

Entire article: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/04/18/2020-NFL-draft-Top-five-players-at-each-position/stories/202004180002

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 12:47 am

I don't put a lot of stock in the national writers' Mocks, but, for what it's worth, CBS has us taking Jonah Jackson OL at 49 and Jabari Zuniga EDGE at 102.

They have Jonathan Taylor going  to Lions at 39 and Cam Akers lasting until pick 86. They have Chase Claypool going at 80.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/three-round-2020-nfl-mock-draft-four-teams-trade-up-in-top-10-and-a-top-quarterback-slides/#rd-2

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 5:20 am

Some people compared Henry Ruggs III to Darius Heyward Bay. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but being fast isn't enough.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 10:14 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
Some people compared Henry Ruggs III to Darius Heyward Bay. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but being fast isn't enough.

Here's some tape on him. He looks pretty good here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2D7kHmhFKM
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 4:42 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
other than the speed i don't see the comparison. heyward bey had unreliable hands, nobody is saying that about Ruggs. the knock on Ruggs is getting a release from the line of scrimmage against physical corners , and he isn't great at winning contested catches.

had the steelers not traded away the 1 st rnd pick i believe many of us would be giddy thinking we may have a chance to get this guy...i know i would be ... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 1797695198
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 7:35 pm

Good article from Gerry Dulac at PPG on Steelers draft success of WRs, especially those out of the 1st round.
Quote :

Steelers need a WR, and draft history is on their side

The Steelers’ history of drafting wide receivers and having them become productive players in the NFL could be the subject of a Netflix documentary.

They are hoping the same holds true this week when a wide receiver will be high on their priority list in the draft, maybe even with their top pick in the second round.

After a season in which they were the only team to not score at least 30 points in any game and managed just nine offensive touchdowns in the final nine games, the Steelers are searching for playmakers on offense. And the best place to find them is at wide receiver, a position that is considered one of the deepest in the 2020 draft.

Granted, judging the team’s offensive performance in 2019 — most notably the production of their wide receivers — was made more difficult because of the absence of Ben Roethlisberger, who missed all but six quarters of the season with an elbow injury. Team president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin have conceded as much. But the Steelers discovered that taking two All-Pro players from their offense — Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell — can be more debilitating than imagined.

Even with the 49th overall selection in the draft, the Steelers should have a realistically good chance of getting a productive receiver, preferably a playmaker who has a skill set similar to Brown. There are several who have a chance to be available: TCU’s Jalen Reagor, Arizona State’s Brandon Aiyuk, Colorado’s Laviska Shenault and Penn State’s K.J. Hamler. If they are looking for a taller, more physical receiver along the lines of JuJu Smith-Schuster, they can look no further than his alma mater to get USC’s Michael Pittman, who has both size (6-feet-4, 223 pounds) and production.

No matter which way they choose to go, the Steelers have a solid track record on their side.

Since general manager Kevin Colbert arrived in 2000, the Steelers have drafted wide receivers Plaxico Burress (2000) and Santonio Holmes (2006) in the first round; Antwaan Randle-El (2002), Smith-Schuster (2017) and James Washington (2018) in the second round; Mike Wallace (2009), Emmanuel Sanders (2010), Markus Wheaton (2013) and Diontae Johnson (2019) in the third round; Martavis Bryant (2014) in the fourth round and the biggest plumb of all, Antonio Brown (2010) in the sixth round.

Six of those became 1,000-yard receivers in the league, all but one (Sanders) with the Steelers.

That list doesn’t include Hines Ward, the most productive receiver in Steelers history. He was a third-round pick in 1998, two years before Colbert arrived.

Of course, there wasn’t always success.

Bill Cowher once listed Troy Edwards, a first-round pick in 1999, as the biggest draft bust of his tenure. His reasoning was based on the notion Edwards was the 13th overall pick in the draft and had posted record-setting numbers at Louisiana Tech.

But it is not entirely accurate to list Edwards a bust. He broke Louis Lipps’ team rookie record with 61 catches and had 714 receiving yards in his first season. However, he was let go after three seasons only because the Steelers drafted Plaxico Burress in the first round a year later to pair with Ward.

No, their biggest draft failure at wide receiver was Limas Sweed, a second-round choice (53rd overall) and the ninth wideout selected in the 2008 draft. Sweed was drafted more for his size (6-4, 220) and projected ability than his production. In four years at Texas, he totaled 124 catches, 1,915 yards and 20 touchdowns — meager numbers for a big-time collegiate receiver. Compare that to Edwards, who had 242 catches, 3,703 and 40 touchdowns in his final two seasons at Louisiana Tech.

With the Steelers, he managed just seven catches for 69 yards in two seasons and distinguished himself with several colossal drops in key situations. His coaches tried to tell him to just concentrate on catching the ball instead of trying to always make a big play. It didn’t work.

In the end, the Steelers concluded the stage was too big for Sweed — an astonishing revelation for a player who performed in front of large crowds in a big-time program such as Texas.

There have been other failed picks, such as Dri Archer in the third round in 2014 and Sammie Coates in the third round in 2015. Both players lasted only two seasons with the team and never had the impact expected of them.

But the hits far outweigh the misses when drafting wide receivers.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/04/19/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft-wide-receivers-analysis/stories/202004190103

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 7:38 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
other than the speed i don't see the comparison. heyward bey had unreliable hands, nobody is saying that about Ruggs. the knock on Ruggs is getting a release from the line of scrimmage against physical corners , and he isn't great at winning contested catches.

had the steelers not traded away the 1 st rnd pick i believe many of us would be giddy thinking we may have a chance to get this guy...i know i would be ... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 1797695198

As I originally said, I don't know anything about him other than what it said in the article I posted. It's just that kind of speed seems incredible whether you're running from defenders or a bear in the woods Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 2981382511

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 9:09 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

As I originally said, I don't know anything about him other than what it said in the article I posted. It's just that kind of speed seems incredible whether you're running from defenders or a bear in the woods Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 2981382511

apparently the person that wrote the article doesn't know anything about either him or heyward bey or both... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 1797695198 ...i am a terp fan so i knew what heyward bey had going on when they drafted him. a better comparison would be tyreek hill...dude is a threat to take it to the house anytime he touches it. he is not a big guy being under 190lbs, so bigger cornerbacks can push him around coming off the line.

i guess you could say they were similar in college production by catching 40-50 balls a season, but hey-bey wasnt sharing balls with other will be 1st round picks.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Sporting News has us taking RB Jonathan Taylor at 49 and Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State at 102.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-draft-2020-7-rounds-Patriots*-raiders-colts/x1p3hl1wxmkl14lasxq8y9xlx

Chad Reuter at NFL.com has us taking RB Cam Akers 49 and Leki Fotu - DT at 102

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109774/article/chad-reuter-sevenround-2020-nfl-mock-draft-round-1

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 4:42 am

from what i have read, the bills, bucs,chiefs, and falcons, are the teams that have RB as a big need. i don't see the bucs or the falcons taking taylor in the top 16 ,the bills dont have a 1st pick, but i could see the chiefs taking him at 32.
if not the bucks could take him at 45 or the falcons at 47. apparently the jets coach isnt happy with bell so they could take him at 48 just as an FU to bell ...... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 1797695198
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 7:45 am

from what i have read, the bills, bucs,chiefs, and falcons, are the teams that have RB as a big need. i don't see the bucs or the falcons taking taylor in the top 16 ,the bills dont have a 1st pick, but i could see the chiefs taking him at 32.
if not the bucks could take him at 45 or the falcons at 47. apparently the jets coach isnt happy with bell so they could take him at 48 just as an FU to bell ...... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 1797695198

As much as I like Taylor, I agree. I don't see him being available to us. If we were to take a RB it would more realistically be a guy like Dobbins, or Akers. I do think the Steelers like Taylor, and I think he'd be the most prepared to come in and play in our system, but I think Swift and Taylor are the #1 and #2 RBs available in the draft and I don't see us getting a shot at him without moving up a bit, and with our lack of draft capital this year, I don't see that happening either.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 2:25 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

As much as I like Taylor, I agree. I don't see him being available to us. If we were to take a RB it would more realistically be a guy like Dobbins, or Akers. I do think the Steelers like Taylor, and I think he'd be the most prepared to come in and play in our system, but I think Swift and Taylor are the #1 and #2 RBs available in the draft and I don't see us getting a shot at him without moving up a bit, and with our lack of draft capital this year, I don't see that happening either.

Iowa and I are much in line with where these guys rank (not that we're right about that, but we are in general alignment on those guys). Aside from Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, and Akers, I would still be excited to see an Edwards-Helaire at #49. His play was outstanding against the best of the NCAA defenses. The downside to Taylor is his fumbles. I think he was tracking to a fumble every other game, which has to be a turn off for Tomlin. But he does look really good when he's running up the middle of defenses.

MOP is right that multiple teams have RB as high needs going into this year's draft. Fortunately, they all have other needs as well. Also, it's an incredibly deep draft for OT and WR. I think 7 O-linemen and possibly 10 WRs will be taken before the Steelers pick at #49. It's hard to predict a run on a position in the draft. If there happens to be a run on RBs prior to #49 pick, the Steelers will have a shot at those OTs and WRs who might otherwise not be there. Hell, they may take Zack Baun (OLB) in the 2nd and A.J. Dillon (RB) in the 3rd.

I can tell you that with their 1st round pick, the Steelers are taking Minkah Fitzpatrick and laughing all the way to the bank! Ben LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers Mock Drafts 2020
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: