Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers Mock Drafts 2020

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Ray Fittipaldo at PPG has an article today discussing the RBs like we've been doing here. He talks about who may be available and that Cam Akers may be and might be a good fit.

Quote :

Top running backs being picked ahead of Steelers might present the perfect scenario

No one can accuse the Steelers of ignoring the running back position in the draft. They’ve selected a back in eight of the past 10 years. The only positions general manager Kevin Colbert drafted more in the past decade are receivers and cornerbacks.

But only one of those eight running backs the Steelers drafted recorded a 1,000-yard rushing season. Le’Veon Bell, who was taken with the No. 48 overall selection in the 2013 draft, had three 1,000-yard seasons and compiled 5,336 yards during his five seasons with the Steelers.

Bell also happens to be the only running back of the past decade the Steelers drafted in the first two rounds. Every other back was taken in the third round or after.

Among them, only James Conner, a third-round pick in 2017, came close to gaining 1,000 yards in a season. During his 2018 Pro Bowl campaign, he rushed for 973 yards, but the Steelers still finished 31st in the league in rushing. Last season, with Conner missing six games due to injuries, the Steelers finished 29th.

The rapid decline of the running game since Bell’s departure, coupled with team president Art Rooney II’s desire to see an improvement, is one reason the Steelers will consider a running back when it’s time to make their first selection in the middle of the second round Friday night.

D’Andre Swift of Georgia, Jonathan Taylor of Wisconsin, J.K. Dobbins of Ohio State and Clyde Edwards-Helaire are widely considered the top four backs in this year’s draft. And most draft analysts believe they’ll be off the board before the Steelers pick.

So who’s left for the Steelers?

Actually, according to NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, there is a prospect that would be a perfect match for the Steelers.

“The guy who I would love to see in Pittsburgh,” said Jeremiah, a former scout with the Eagles, Ravens and Browns, “is Cam Akers. Sometimes I just watch players and go, ‘OK, the way this guy plays kind of reminds me of a Pittsburgh Steeler,’ and that's kind of from having been in that division with the Ravens and the Browns, I have so much respect for how the Steelers play and the brand of football they play. I think those top four guys, there's a good chance they're gone. But man, Cam Akers is one when I watched him. He is so competitive and so tough.”

Akers, who played at Florida State, is Jeremiah’s fifth-ranked running back and the 55th-ranked player on his board. Akers hasn’t been mentioned much in the same breath as the so called “top tier” of backs in this draft, but Jeremiah said there is a reason for that.

Florida State’s offensive line was bad, and Akers was at a big disadvantage because of it.

“I could walk down the street here outside my house, and I can promise you I could find a very similar offensive line to the one he ran behind at Florida State,” Jeremiah said. “And this kid didn't complain. He just put his head down and ran hard and made the most of it. I just think there's that toughness to him that kind of reminds me of a Steeler. He catches the ball out of the backfield. I think he's got more to offer in that regard. He was a five-star recruit, so the talent is there. There's tremendous talent with this kid, and I think if he was in a little better situation, we'd be talking about him even higher than he is. I thought at the combine, when he ran 4.47, his field workout was phenomenal. That kid to me, he looks like a Pittsburgh Steeler. I would love to see him in that offense.”

If the top four backs are off the board by the time the Steelers pick, it would be an unusual occurrence in modern-day NFL drafting. Analytics departments have been advising general managers that drafting running backs high in the draft is a losing proposition. For one, the analytics show draft resources are better spent on more valuable positions because starting running backs can be found in every round of the draft and even undrafted free agency. (The Chiefs and 49ers both had undrafted free agents start for them in the Super Bowl this year.)

Perhaps more important, running backs don’t have long shelf lives in the NFL. It’s rare for backs to make it to second contracts with their original teams because they are touching the ball so often and are exposed to more hits than any other player on the field.

As a result, fewer running backs are getting taken in the first two rounds of the draft. One year ago, only one running back was selected among the top 50 picks. In the past decade, 26 running backs were taken among the top 50 picks each year, an average of 2.6 per year.

If Jeremiah is correct that Swift, Taylor, Dobbins and Edwards-Helaire will be off the board before the Steelers pick, it will be only the third time in the past decade that four backs were selected in the top 50 picks.

If for some reason they slide Friday night, Taylor and Dobbins would be good fits for the Steelers because they also are three-down backs that can pass-protect on third downs. Edwards-Helaire, while dynamic as a receiver, is only 5-feet-7, and it might be a challenge for him to stand up to blitzing linebackers. Nonetheless, some draft analysts have mocked Edwards-Helaire to the Steelers.

“You've got to be complete to have value at that position right now,” Jeremiah said. “It's just the way that it is.”

After Akers, it’s not considered a deep running back class, mostly because a number of talented backs decided to return to college. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr., said the depth is “not great.”

It’s entirely possible if the Steelers don’t draft a back in the second round they won’t draft a back at all. They aren’t looking to add to their depth to a room that already includes Jaylen Samuels and Benny Snell, who arrived in 2018 and 2019.

The Steelers are looking to add a future starter and, ideally, a speed back that can offer big-play ability.

There are a few options for those types of players in the middle rounds of the draft. Antonio Gibson of Memphis, a converted receiver, is one of them. He ran a 4.39 at the combine last month and is getting some late buzz as an intriguing option after the first tier of running backs are off the board.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/04/20/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft-running-back-jonathan-taylor-cam-akers-jk-dobbins/stories/202004210004

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 6:50 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
from what i have read, the bills, bucs,chiefs, and falcons, are the teams that have RB as a big need. i don't see the bucs or the falcons taking taylor in the top 16 ,the bills dont have a 1st pick, but i could see the chiefs taking him at 32.
if not the bucks could take him at 45 or the falcons at 47. apparently the jets coach isnt happy with bell so they could take him at 48 just as an FU to bell ...... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 1797695198

As much as I like Taylor, I agree. I don't see him being available to us. If we were to take a RB it would more realistically be a guy like Dobbins, or Akers. I do think the Steelers like Taylor, and I think he'd be the most prepared to come in and play in our system, but I think Swift and Taylor are the #1 and #2 RBs available in the draft and I don't see us getting a shot at him without moving up a bit, and with our lack of draft capital this year, I don't see that happening either.

Iowa and I are much in line with where these guys rank (not that we're right about that, but we are in general alignment on those guys). Aside from Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, and Akers, I would still be excited to see an Edwards-Helaire at #49. His play was outstanding against the best of the NCAA defenses. The downside to Taylor is his fumbles. I think he was tracking to a fumble every other game, which has to be a turn off for Tomlin. But he does look really good when he's running up the middle of defenses.

MOP is right that multiple teams have RB as high needs going into this year's draft. Fortunately, they all have other needs as well. Also, it's an incredibly deep draft for OT and WR. I think 7 O-linemen and possibly 10 WRs will be taken before the Steelers pick at #49. It's hard to predict a run on a position in the draft. If there happens to be a run on RBs prior to #49 pick, the Steelers will have a shot at those OTs and WRs who might otherwise not be there. Hell, they may take Zack Baun (OLB) in the 2nd and A.J. Dillon (RB) in the 3rd.

I can tell you that with their 1st round pick, the Steelers are taking Minkah Fitzpatrick and laughing all the way to the bank! Ben LOL

i like those big RB's so i would be thrilled to get Dillion in the 3rd. i think he would be perfect to split carries with connor. of course he's not really a change of pace back from the others.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 2:41 pm

I really hate the narrative that the running game went downhill because of Bell leaving. That's what they are trying to sell us. Bell was an absolute Turd for the Jets this year. The running game was fine when:
QB who could throw was behind center
FB who could block was in the game
Connor at RB
Line hadn't gone downhill.

Enough with the Bell garbage, press.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 4:33 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
I really hate the narrative that the running game went downhill because of Bell leaving.  That's what they are trying to sell us.  Bell was an absolute Turd for the Jets this year.  The running game was fine when:  
Connor at RB

right ? sure connor didn't do as well as 2018 but he wan't that far off ... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2087824411
2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

so Ben  being out and defenses stacking the box because they didnt fear inept QB play couldn't possibly have anything to do with that half a yard per carry lose ? not to mention some linemen clearly were blowing their assignments more often than they have in the past. And going 3 and out and only getting 11.6 Cpg  isn't really optimal for the running game . A 4 YPC is NOT a terrible stat , let alone when taken in perspective. a more telling stat is connors receiving stats being cut 40-60% across the board in only 3 less games ..... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 3135543967 ...isn't their another component in the passing game beside the guy catching the ball ?  Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2829330259

now do we need another RB? sure we do. what team doesn't want a 2nd 3 down quality back . not only for insurance against an injury but for insurance you may lose one for contract reasons in the near future. BUT...i still believe it is not the dire situation so many keep saying it is and i think we would be fine going forward with the stable of backs we had last season.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 6:09 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
I really hate the narrative that the running game went downhill because of Bell leaving.  That's what they are trying to sell us.  Bell was an absolute Turd for the Jets this year.  The running game was fine when:  
Connor at RB

right ? sure connor didn't do as well as 2018 but he wan't that far off ... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2087824411
2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

so Ben  being out and defenses stacking the box because they didnt fear inept QB play couldn't possibly have anything to do with that half a yard per carry lose ? not to mention some linemen clearly were blowing their assignments more often than they have in the past. And going 3 and out and only getting 11.6 Cpg  isn't really optimal for the running game . A 4 YPC is NOT a terrible stat , let alone when taken in perspective. a more telling stat is connors receiving stats being cut 40-60% across the board in only 3 less games ..... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 3135543967 ...isn't their another component in the passing game beside the guy catching the ball ?  Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2829330259

now do we need another RB? sure we do. what team doesn't want a 2nd 3 down quality back . not only for insurance against an injury but for insurance you may lose one for contract reasons in the near future. BUT...i still believe it is not the dire situation so many keep saying it is and i think we would be fine going forward with the stable of backs we had last season.
Very valid points. My ONLY concern going forward regarding Connor is him staying healthy. Certainly not his play, his work ethic, his talent, his attitude - any of that.

And again - Bell is a Turd. Just look what a load he dropped on the Jets.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Connor at RB

2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

Very valid points.  My ONLY concern going forward regarding Connor is him staying healthy.  Certainly not his play, his work ethic, his talent, his attitude - any of that.

And again - Bell is a Turd.  Just look what a load he dropped on the Jets.

sure his health is a concern, is it a bigger concern than Bens ? i dont see many saying a QB is a huge need like they are RB. Conner has just as much chance to survive a full season as Ben. plus the talking heads seem to me are not just eluding to connors health as a reason for another back, but his talent as a feature back. people seem to have already forgotten about his 2018 season where he pretty much made us forget about Bell up until he got hurt. he may not have been as good as Bell but close enough for me...both running and catching.
which once again makes me say a good running game is 75% about the Oline.... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 11:47 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Connor at RB

2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

Very valid points.  My ONLY concern going forward regarding Connor is him staying healthy.  Certainly not his play, his work ethic, his talent, his attitude - any of that.

sure his health is a concern, is it a bigger concern than Bens ? i dont see many saying a QB is a huge need like they are RB. Conner has just as much chance to survive a full season as Ben. plus the talking heads seem to me are not just eluding to connors health as a reason for another back, but his talent as a feature back. people seem to have already forgotten about his 2018 season where he pretty much made us forget about Bell up until he got hurt. he may not have been as good as Bell but close enough for me...both running and catching.
which once again makes me say a good running game is 75% about the Oline.... Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 1797695198
Well we were talking about running backs so that's what my message was about.

I think your comment about Ben is very accurate. I've said on here before that I didn't think he'd ever play another down. I hope I am wrong.

I'm a Connor fan though. I think when he's been healthy, he's played very well. He just hasn't been very healthy - which is unfortunate, because he'a great kid.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 4:56 am

nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Connor at RB

2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

I think your comment about Ben is very accurate.  I've said on here before that I didn't think he'd ever play another down.  I hope I am wrong.

I'm a Connor fan though.  I think when he's been healthy, he's played very well.  He just hasn't been very healthy - which is unfortunate, because he'a great kid.

i heard one of the sports analyst morons, dont remember which one, say the only QB that came back successfully from ben's type of injury was jake delhome.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 5:57 am

nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Connor at RB

2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

I think your comment about Ben is very accurate.  I've said on here before that I didn't think he'd ever play another down.  I hope I am wrong.

I'm a Connor fan though.  I think when he's been healthy, he's played very well.  He just hasn't been very healthy - which is unfortunate, because he'a great kid.

i heard one of the sports analyst morons, dont remember which one, say the only QB that came back successfully from ben's type of injury was jake delhome.

And I would ask how many QBs have had this same injury? He (Delhomme) injured his elbow in 2007. 13 years ago they surely didn't have the medical technology they have today. For what it's worth this is what Montana has to say about Ben playing again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2019/09/20/joe-montana-advice-ben-roethlisberger-elbow-injury/2383686001/
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 9:18 am

@solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Connor at RB

2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

And I would ask how many QBs have had this same injury? He (Delhomme) injured his elbow in 2007. 13 years ago they surely didn't have the medical technology they have today. For what it's worth this is what Montana has to say about Ben playing again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2019/09/20/joe-montana-advice-ben-roethlisberger-elbow-injury/2383686001/

I certainly hope for the best, because without Ben, we are totally screwed. And I have zero confidence in Mason ever being any good at all. We'd have been better off hanging onto Dobbs. Actually, even Landry was probably a better backup than Mason.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Interesting rumor. Speculation only at this point.

https://www.12up.com/posts/49ers-steelers-juju-smith-schuster-trade-would-solve-both-teams-problems-01e6hcsfs9w9/partners/40920
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 5:43 pm

@jak341 wrote:

https://www.12up.com/posts/49ers-steelers-juju-smith-schuster-trade-would-solve-both-teams-problems-01e6hcsfs9w9/partners/40920
nobody is going to trade a first round pick for JuJu. two simple reasons why.
first being JuJu' was very ineffective last year and exposed himself as a player who needs others to make him look good instead of his talent making others look good.

second, it is a very deep WR class, so anyone who needs a quality receiver can and will likely get one in the 1st. why would they want JuJu who if he does have a great year for his new team , will expect to be compensated for it in 2021 ? they can get a rookie for 4-5 years for the cost of one year of juJu if he has the season they would hope for. pretty much the same reason some steeler fans want to unload him now ...Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2829330259
the only advantage of a JuJu is he is a vet. but he still brings the almost the same gamble as a rookie draftee would. will a rookie  be as productive in the NFL as he was in college ? for JuJu the question is will we get 2018 JuJu or 2019 JuJu ? 2018 JuJu was worth a 1st round pick , 2019 JuJu was worth a 3rd maybe 4th round pick considering he may be a 1 year rental Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2087824411

to get a first for JuJu they would have to sweeten the pot and throw in a  draft pick.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 5:59 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
@solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Connor at RB

2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

I certainly hope for the best, because without Ben, we are totally screwed.  And I have zero confidence in Mason ever being any good at all.  We'd have been better off hanging onto Dobbs.  Actually, even Landry was probably a better backup than Mason.
while i do share your lack of confidence in Rudolf ever being worth a shit, i do recall an absolutely hideous Landry his first 2 years who did seem to suck a lot less the last few years. so much to the point i couldn't believe he couldn't get a backup gig with another team.  so i think there is still hope Rudolf does get better. starter better ? i doubt it. but i also didn't see dobbs as ever being starter material. at this point whoever is the backup needs to be near future starter quality.
just think , colbert and company publicly said they had a 1st round grade on Rudolf ... affraid ....does that make you feel better about their draft decision making ? Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 1505004552

i do see a pattern...they had rudolf as a 1st he went in the 3rd...edmunds was predicted as 3rd by other they took him in the1st...if i recall right people had artie burns as a 3rd, they took him in the 1st....and jarvis jones ? jason worilds ? i bet colbert was the only one that had them as a first on their draft boards.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 10:57 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
@solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Connor at RB

2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

I certainly hope for the best, because without Ben, we are totally screwed.  And I have zero confidence in Mason ever being any good at all.  We'd have been better off hanging onto Dobbs.  Actually, even Landry was probably a better backup than Mason.
while i do share your lack of confidence in Rudolf ever being worth a shit, i do recall an absolutely hideous Landry his first 2 years who did seem to suck a lot less the last few years. so much to the point i couldn't believe he couldn't get a backup gig with another team.  so i think there is still hope Rudolf does get better. starter better ? i doubt it. but i also didn't see dobbs as ever being starter material. at this point whoever is the backup needs to be near future starter quality.
just think , colbert and company publicly said they had a 1st round grade on Rudolf ... affraid ....does that make you feel better about their draft decision making ? Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 1505004552

i do see a pattern...they had rudolf as a 1st he went in the 3rd...edmunds was predicted as 3rd by other they took him in the1st...if i recall right people had artie burns as a 3rd, they took him in the 1st....and jarvis jones ? jason worilds ? i bet colbert was the only one that had them as a first on their draft boards.
I think they only said that about Rudolph to pump up his supposed value. If they had really seen him as their future QB1, no way they would've let him go until the 3rd. Heck he wasn't even their first pick in the 3rd round.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 11:53 pm

@jak341 wrote:

nobody is going to trade a first round pick for JuJu. two simple reasons why.
first being JuJu' was very ineffective last year and exposed himself as a player who needs others to make him look good instead of his talent making others look good.

second, it is a very deep WR class, so anyone who needs a quality receiver can and will likely get one in the 1st. why would they want JuJu who if he does have a great year for his new team , will expect to be compensated for it in 2021 ? they can get a rookie for 4-5 years for the cost of one year of juJu if he has the season they would hope for. pretty much the same reason some steeler fans want to unload him now ...Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2829330259
the only advantage of a JuJu is he is a vet. but he still brings the almost the same gamble as a rookie draftee would. will a rookie  be as productive in the NFL as he was in college ? for JuJu the question is will we get 2018 JuJu or 2019 JuJu ? 2018 JuJu was worth a 1st round pick , 2019 JuJu was worth a 3rd maybe 4th round pick  considering he may be a 1 year rental  Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2087824411

to get a first for JuJu they would have to sweeten the pot and throw in a  draft pick.

I'll agree with you on this. The posted article does really make it seem like there could be something going on. But, in reality, JuJu is probably a 3-4 pick now.

On your last point, if someone like 49ers were interested, I wonder if there would be a pick Steelers covet like Bush and would do something along the lines of a pick+ juju for a 1.

Last edited by LambertWardSteel on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 11:57 pm

Pittsburgh Post Gazette's Ray Fittipaldo's final mock. I did not copy #7 who was ILB Evan Weaver, California.

Quote :

Ray Fittipaldo's final 2020 Steelers mock draft

It doesn’t take a football savant to figure out what the Steelers need when they finally get to make their picks Friday night. Their offense in 2019 was one of the worst in the league, finishing 30th in total offense and 27th in scoring. It was a disaster all around.

And yes, Ben Roethlisberger’s season-ending injury in Week 2 certainly played a big part in the decline. However, it should be noted the Steelers weren’t a well-rounded offense when Roethlisberger was healthy in 2018. They were 31st in rushing with Roethlisberger playing all 16 games.

Clearly, this is an offense that is in need of some additional playmakers to help Roethlisberger as he enters the final two years of his contract.

The Steelers didn’t have a receiver that could consistently attack the deep portions of the field last season, especially the middle of the field. That’s one reason grabbing a receiver with their first pick (No. 49 overall) in the middle of the second round is a strong consideration.

The Steelers need a fast receiver that can back off safeties, be a deep threat and be versatile enough to also make plays in the short and intermediate areas of the field. This is a deep draft for receivers — one of the best in years — so the Steelers could get a receiver early. It’s also so deep they could wait until the third or fourth round to grab one.

The Steelers also desperately lack speed at running back, but they won’t have the same luxury in the later rounds if they want to get an impact running back. The best ones are expected to be off the board by the end of the second round.

The wild card scenario remains a defensive player because the Steelers are razor thin at dime linebacker/hybrid safety after the release of Mark Barron.

This year more than ever, expect the Steelers to hold true to their drafting methods. That means prospects from power five schools; players that have NFL family bloodlines and/or the Steelers have familiarity with college coaches; and high-character players that were captains or team leaders in college.

Here is my final 2020 mock draft:

2. (No. 49) — RB Cam Akers, Florida State (5-10, 217): Akers is a complete back capable of staying on the field all three downs and would be the feature back of the future for the Steelers. He’s fast (4.47 in the 40-yard dash at the combine), productive (2,874 rushing yards and 27 touchdowns), and he’s well-rounded (69 career receptions) with the size to hold up in pass protection.

Other possibilities for the Steelers in this spot: wide receivers Jalen Reagor of TCU and Michael Pittman of USC, and safety Grant Delpit of LSU.

3. (No. 102) — WR Devin Duvernay, Texas (5-10, 200): The Steelers take advantage of the depth of this receiver class with their compensatory pick at the end of the third round. Some very good prospects will still be available in this portion of the draft. Duvernay is one of the fastest receivers in the draft, timed at 4.39 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. One of the nation’s top recruits in 2016, Duvernay was a late bloomer. He wasn’t a big part of the offense before last season, but what he did for the Longhorns last fall was eye-opening: 106 receptions for 1,386 yards and 9 touchdowns. He also was named a team captain. For the Steelers, he can line up in the slot and do what he does best: get yards after the catch. He’s not a refined route runner, but that will come in time with coaching. For now, he’s good enough to make an instant impact as a third or fourth receiver, giving the Steelers some much-needed speed in their receiving corps.

4a. (No. 124) — OLB Anfernee Jennings, Alabama (6-2, 256): The Steelers need to add depth to their outside linebacker room, and they need a player with starter potential to develop behind Bud Dupree, who is playing the 2020 season on the franchise tag. Jennings can do just that. He’s a well-rounded 3-4 outside linebacker with experience at the position. And while he’s not a prospect with elite athletic traits as a pass rusher, he is stout against the run. Jennings is exactly the type of player that can thrive in the Steelers defense. He also served as a team captain last season.

4b. (No. 135) — C Nick Harris, Washington (6-1, 302): One change with the new CBA is bigger roster sizes. Now teams will be able to dress a true backup center on game days. In previous years, the Steelers and other teams would dress a reserve lineman only if he was capable of playing center and guard, or guard and tackle. Position flexibility was huge. It remains important, but the new rule opens the door for players that strictly play center. “I think one thing we've acknowledged this year with the ability to address the extra offensive lineman on game day, that's going to help the center-type player because in the past if you couldn't play two positions, it was hard to get a jersey on game day, and it's something we've talked about,” Colbert said this week. “A lot of times when you're talking about offensive linemen, we look at position flexibility and the ability to play more than one spot. But now, because we will be able to address that extra offensive lineman, I think that changes our thinking and then we'll adjust as the different rules come into play over time.” The hard part is projecting where linemen with no position flexibility fit into the draft. Harris can be the backup center until Maurkice Pouncey retires, and then he’d have a chance to compete for the starting job. End of the fourth round seems like to a good place to get a backup that might someday turn into a starter.

6. (No. 198) DL Rashard Lawrence, LSU (6-2, 308): The Steelers have to replace nose tackle Javon Hargrave, who signed with the Eagles in free agency. Lawrence is a high-energy player on the inside that can help the Steelers when they play their base defense. He has room to grow as a pass rusher, but he has the intangibles the Steelers are looking for in their prospects. He was named a team captain as a sophomore and was a team-first player throughout his college career.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/04/22/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-final-Steelers-seven-round-mock-draft/stories/202004220027

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 4:47 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
@solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Connor at RB

2018 AVG - 4
2019 Avf -4.5

I think they only said that about Rudolph to pump up his supposed value.  If they had really seen him as their future QB1, no way they would've let him go until the 3rd.  Heck he wasn't even their first pick in the 3rd round.

I have to confess that I really don't know what to think of Rudolph or even Hodges. I think Rudolph is the better of the two. However, when your head coach publicly states that the guy he would start would be the one who is least likely to screw up, you're not really asking your QBs to make plays. I believe they were over-coached not to take chances. One reason I believe this is because both Rudolph and Hodges took a fair bit of risks in college and weren't afraid to pull the trigger in tough situations. Now we're to believe they both were overwhelmed and wouldn't throw down field? Nah. Maybe one of them, but not both. I'm thinking the coaches were telling them to hand off, throw short, and don't turn the ball over. Once they got behind in games , the opposing defenses could play the pass.

Rudolph seemed to shine at times. I thought he was playing well when he was knocked out of the Balt game and even the play he was knocked out on was a pretty good play. Unfortunately for him, I thought his play in the Jets game was some of his better play and then the Jets nearly killed him.When he was bad, it was ugly.  After he made it back from the Balt game he didn't seem to play well.  His TD to INT ratio was 13-9. I think 3 of those flat out clanged off receivers hands (damn you Moncrief!). Then the first Browns game came up and Rudolph threw 4 INTs, but one has to remember that Conner, JuJu and DJ all left that game, giving him next to no weapons on offense.

Next season, if Ben goes down, I'd like to see the coaches ask their QBs to act like QBs and not threaten them with the hook if they fail. Maybe telling them to "Unleash Hell" might work better. Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2087824411
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 7:23 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:

I have to confess that I really don't know what to think of Rudolph or even Hodges. I think Rudolph is the better of the two. However, when your head coach publicly states that the guy he would start would be the one who is least likely to screw up, you're not really asking your QBs to make plays. I believe they were over-coached not to take chances. One reason I believe this is because both Rudolph and Hodges took a fair bit of risks in college and weren't afraid to pull the trigger in tough situations. Now we're to believe they both were overwhelmed and wouldn't throw down field? Nah. Maybe one of them, but not both. I'm thinking the coaches were telling them to hand off, throw short, and don't turn the ball over. Once they got behind in games , the opposing defenses could play the pass.

Rudolph seemed to shine at times. I thought he was playing well when he was knocked out of the Balt game and even the play he was knocked out on was a pretty good play. Unfortunately for him, I thought his play in the Jets game was some of his better play and then the Jets nearly killed him.When he was bad, it was ugly.  After he made it back from the Balt game he didn't seem to play well.  His TD to INT ratio was 13-9. I think 3 of those flat out clanged off receivers hands (damn you Moncrief!). Then the first Browns game came up and Rudolph threw 4 INTs, but one has to remember that Conner, JuJu and DJ all left that game, giving him next to no weapons on offense.

Next season, if Ben goes down, I'd like to see the coaches ask their QBs to act like QBs and not threaten them with the hook if they fail. Maybe telling them to "Unleash Hell" might work better. Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 2087824411

oh for sure they had the cuffs on them and stressed playing it safe.  but if you've been dumbed down at work and still screw the pooch does that make your boss more confident in you ? i mean if you can't handle simple task, i'm sure not going to put more on your plate.  ace the easy shit then we'll talk about expanding your roll. the coaches get to see these guys in practice. their decisions  should be based on what they see from players in practice. they get to see the QB's decision making, and see their strengths and weakness more than we fans do. thats what practice is for after all.  so with that said if the coach is lacking confidence in his QB come game time then that lack of confidence should have come from what he see's in practice. with rudolf having 2 off seasons under his belt the coaches should pretty much have an understanding of rudolfs abilities. if what they have seen shows he can't handle aspects of the offense and have to dumb it down, then the question is , why is he on the team as the backup ? i mean the standard is the standard right ?
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 12:14 am

Well, all but 1 RB still available, Claypool not picked either.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 12:26 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
Yeah, we knew the Chiefs would go RB. But they picked up someone we wouldn't have drafted (no Dri Archer #2 for us).

Jonathan Taylor still on the board. Beastly RB but fumbling issues? That would really worry me but he's an amazing back.

Trade up to get him? Or will the Steelers decide to stay put wait? If you value 4 players fairly equally, you can afford to wait until 3 have been drafted. But is that the case?

What do you think, Lambert?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 1:48 am

Deandre Swift, and Jonathan Taylor still on the board and the Chiefs take Edwards-Helaire... The draft is always full of surprises.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 5:09 am

i'd bet the farm neither is there at 49.
one of these 5 guys will be the pick.
dobbins
akers
pittman
higgins
shanualt
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 7:34 am

i'd bet the farm neither is there at 49.
one of these 5 guys will be the pick.
dobbins
akers
pittman
higgins
shanualt

I concur, I'd be really happy with Dobbins or Akers as well.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 7:53 am

nine vegetable wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
Yeah, we knew the  Chiefs would go RB.  But they picked up someone we wouldn't have drafted (no Dri Archer #2 for us).

Jonathan Taylor still on the board.  Beastly RB but fumbling issues?  That would really worry me but he's an amazing back.

Trade up to get him?  Or will the Steelers decide to stay put wait?  If you value 4 players fairly equally, you can afford to wait until 3 have been drafted.  But is that the case?

What do you think, Lambert?

In my opinion I think hard to move up with the draft picks they have. Still 3-4 each decent RBs and WRs available so should be some choices 16 into the 2nd round. I really thought Taylor would be gone already. As someone else here says you can never account for the surprising move. The draft I posted from Ray Fittipaldo, he has them getting Akers, last night he did a live draft chat and again stuck by Akers. I read an article this morning from Gerry Dulac and he named the following WRs as possibilities:

Quote :
Those options include Baylor’s Denzel Mims, Clemson’s Tee Higgins, Colorado’s Laviska Shenault Jr., Notre Dame’s Chase Claypool, USC’s Michael Pittman and Penn State’s KJ Hamler.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/04/24/steelers-second-round-who-to-pick-nfl-draft-2020/stories/202004230158

He also talks at the end of the article more about Shenault who he says also played wildcat QB at Colorado

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 8:51 am

Are we really all in on a RB? We have Conner, Samuels, Snell, and more already. I'm not saying that any of those are really the answer, but what about OL or WR?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Mock Drafts 2020   Steelers Mock Drafts 2020 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers Mock Drafts 2020
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: