Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIt's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency Empty
PostSubject: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 7:15 pm

see full article here..
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2875253-its-time-for-the-steelers-to-cut-ties-with-big-ben-find-qb-in-2020-free-agency

Quote :
The two-year, $68 million contract extension the Steelers gave Roethlisberger last offseason was a huge mistake. According to Spotrac, even if the team were to trade or release him this offseason, they'd be on the hook for a $25 million salary-cap hit.

But that's a sunk cost now, and there's no reason to pay Roethlisberger anything beyond that if he's not going to help you win championships.

Quote :
There are probably some within the organization, and maybe even some fans, who secretly wish Roethlisberger would retire—a move which would immediately create cap space for a team that is projected by Spotrac to enter the offseason with literally no money to spend.

Quote :
But the Steelers still have some control here. Regardless of what he's owed, the simple reality is that by releasing or trading Roethlisberger this offseason, Pittsburgh would free up $8.5 million.

They could then appropriate that money for Roethlisberger's replacement. And this is a hell of a year to be on the market for a signal-caller.

Quote :
The Steelers could try to trade for Cam Newton, who would cost less than $20 million as a bridge in 2020, and then use their second-round draft pick on a potential long-term option like Utah State's Jordan Love, Georgia's Jake Fromm, Washington's Jacob Eason or Oklahoma's Jalen Hurts.

Newton is also worn down and coming off an injury, but the 2015 MVP is seven years younger than Roethlisberger, and the two have fairly similar attributes and playing styles.

Alternatively, Brady, Brees, Dak Prescott, Rivers, Teddy Bridgewater, Ryan Tannehill, Winston and Marcus Mariota are all scheduled to become unrestricted free agents next month.

i like this idea...i just dont see Ben returning to a  QB who can carry the team with his arm. Bite the bullet and take the cap hit and start the search for the next QB. no point in delaying the inevitable. some lean years are likely to happen with or without Ben on the roster.

i would also add josh rosen who is still on a rookie contract , to the list to kick the tires on. if the dolphins pick TUA at 5, which they will, rosen will be the odd man out in miami. i would even bargain future draft picks with the raiders to try to get Carr.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptySat Mar 07, 2020 10:54 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
see full article here..
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2875253-its-time-for-the-steelers-to-cut-ties-with-big-ben-find-qb-in-2020-free-agency

Quote :
The two-year, $68 million contract extension the Steelers gave Roethlisberger last offseason was a huge mistake. According to Spotrac, even if the team were to trade or release him this offseason, they'd be on the hook for a $25 million salary-cap hit.

But that's a sunk cost now, and there's no reason to pay Roethlisberger anything beyond that if he's not going to help you win championships.

Quote :
There are probably some within the organization, and maybe even some fans, who secretly wish Roethlisberger would retire—a move which would immediately create cap space for a team that is projected by Spotrac to enter the offseason with literally no money to spend.

Quote :
But the Steelers still have some control here. Regardless of what he's owed, the simple reality is that by releasing or trading Roethlisberger this offseason, Pittsburgh would free up $8.5 million.

They could then appropriate that money for Roethlisberger's replacement. And this is a hell of a year to be on the market for a signal-caller.

Quote :
The Steelers could try to trade for Cam Newton, who would cost less than $20 million as a bridge in 2020, and then use their second-round draft pick on a potential long-term option like Utah State's Jordan Love, Georgia's Jake Fromm, Washington's Jacob Eason or Oklahoma's Jalen Hurts.

Newton is also worn down and coming off an injury, but the 2015 MVP is seven years younger than Roethlisberger, and the two have fairly similar attributes and playing styles.

Alternatively, Brady, Brees, Dak Prescott, Rivers, Teddy Bridgewater, Ryan Tannehill, Winston and Marcus Mariota are all scheduled to become unrestricted free agents next month.

i like this idea...i just dont see Ben returning to a  QB who can carry  the team with his arm. Bite the bullet and take the cap hit and start the search for the next QB. no point in delaying the inevitable. some lean years are likely to happen with or without Ben on the roster.

i would also add josh rosen who is still on a rookie contract , to the list to kick the tires on. if the dolphins pick TUA at 5, which they will, rosen will be the odd man out in miami. i would even bargain future draft picks with the raiders to try to get Carr.

I still don't see how 8.5 mil will be enough to bring in someone who can help us now. Whoever it would be still has to learn Fitchner's offense if he can figure out what an offense is in order to bring them up to speed. I only hope this doesn't turn into Bradshaw 2.0. It will be much worse because we didn't have a cap back then.

Are you suggesting we let both Hargrave and Dupree walk? I know we can't keep both but what I think you're thinking would take both off of the table I'm pretty sure. I don't know how deep the OLB crop is this year but I do know that guys like TJ who come out of the box gift wrapped for the pro bowl do not last until round 2.
Honestly I believe what we're looking at is a catch 22 situation. I also think Dupree has finally matured and if he goes our D is going to take a big step backwards. The only one I see who could be an option would be Rosen because we'd get him cheap. Just remember when we talk about a change of scenery that Fitchner is still our OC.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptySun Mar 08, 2020 10:51 pm

@solardave wrote:
see full article here..

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

i like this idea...i just dont see Ben returning to a  QB who can carry  the team with his arm. Bite the bullet and take the cap hit and start the search for the next QB. no point in delaying the inevitable. some lean years are likely to happen with or without Ben on the roster.

I still don't see how 8.5 mil will be enough to bring in someone who can help us now. Whoever it would be still has to learn Fitchner's offense if he can figure out what an offense is in order to bring them up to speed. I only hope this doesn't turn into Bradshaw 2.0. It will be much worse because we didn't have a cap back then.

Are you suggesting we let both Hargrave and Dupree walk? I know we can't keep both but what I think you're thinking would take both off of the table I'm pretty sure. I don't know how deep the OLB crop is this year but I do know that guys like TJ who come out of the box gift wrapped for the pro bowl do not last until round 2.
Honestly I believe what we're looking at is a catch 22 situation. I also think Dupree has finally matured and if he goes our D is going to take a big step backwards. The only one I see who could be an option would be Rosen because we'd get him cheap. Just remember when we talk about a change of scenery that Fitchner is still our OC.

I don't think Rosen is long for the league. I think there are some major personality issues there. Once he's out of Miami, he's going to have a hard time sticking anywhere. Certainly not a long-term solution for anyone.

None of the good FA QB's will be affordable. By the way, good analysis about Ben, I've been saying it for a while, he's done. IMO, he's just collecting a huge paycheck right now. And handcuffing the Steelers financially.

I'd say this, I would do anything I could to avoid shortchanging the D. They are our strength and we need to keep it that way. Keep Dupree.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 1:24 am

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/03/08/steelers-olb-bud-dupree-franchise-tag/

Quote :
While Dupree’s 68 tackles, 11.5 sacks, and 16 tackles for a loss seem really impressive on paper, the Steelers need to look at it in context. Dupree played an outrageous amount of defensive snaps (980) last year, and his 10.1 percent pressure rate was tied for just 63rd out of 99 qualifying edge defenders, according to Pro Football Focus.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 4:10 am

I'm thinking the Steelers signed Ben to an extention to get two more years out of him but the elbow injury bit them. Ben's deep passes were declining before the injury and think his arm will be even weaker from now on.

told the wife that l was going to the bar for a couple of beers, she said ok be back in a couple hours, l said ok see you later. l called her an hour later, babe someone at the bar coughed and because of Covid-19 we are quarantined for the next 14 days.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 7:23 am

Quote :
While Dupree’s 68 tackles, 11.5 sacks, and 16 tackles for a loss seem really impressive on paper, the Steelers need to look at it in context. Dupree played an outrageous amount of defensive snaps (980) last year, and his 10.1 percent pressure rate was tied for just 63rd out of 99 qualifying edge defenders, according to Pro Football Focus.

Here is the problem the way I see it. Dupree had a good year compared to the previous 4 but by NFL standards so-so. The important thing IMO is the 980 snaps.That means he stayed healthy and on the field. My question is how do we replace him for the same money or less with a player who can play as well or better? I don't think a rookie can come in and take up where he left off. We can't afford a comparable FA. Without someone on that side able to pressure and have to be accounted for we're going to see a lesser defense. They will double team TJ and have all day to throw the ball.We'll got back to a poor run defense. Our secondary will hold up early but will get tired and we'll end up 8-8 if we're lucky and that's if Ben can play well.
I have always been optimistic about the next season but this year I think we're in trouble. Unless the FO pulls a rabbit out of their ass it doesn't look good.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 8:04 pm

@solardave wrote:

Quote :

Here is the problem the way I see it. Dupree had a good year compared to the previous 4 but by NFL standards so-so. The important thing IMO is the 980 snaps.That means he stayed healthy and on the field. My question is how do we replace him for the same money or less with a player who can play as well or better? I don't think a rookie can come in and take up where he left off. We can't afford a comparable FA. Without someone on that side able to pressure and have to be accounted for we're going to see a lesser defense. They will double team TJ and have all day to throw the ball.We'll got back to a poor run defense. Our secondary will hold up early but will get tired and we'll end up 8-8 if we're lucky and that's if Ben can play well.
I have always been optimistic about the next season but this year I think we're in trouble. Unless the FO pulls a rabbit out of their ass it doesn't look good.

and that my friend is why i say take this year as an opportunity to corrrect   the salary cap issues...that starts with cutting Ben and let dupree walk. use the season as an audition season. honestly i would prefer to bring hargrave back. the guy has improved every season he has been here. cant say that for dupree.
remember arthur moats ? he managed to squeeze out 4 sacks or so on very limited playing time. i bet if he had played 980 snaps he to would have put up numbers close to dupree did. 10.1 % ? so basically he pressured the qb 1 out of 10 pass attempts ... It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency 798776511 ...30-40 passes ..so 3 maybe 4 times a game ? i'd like to see a break down of the left tackles he did get the sacks against. and how long the qb held the ball before he got the sacks..my guess is the improved secondary coverage was the biggest factor.

check out these articles...  https://stillcurtain.com/2020/03/08/steelers-olb-bud-dupree-franchise-tag/
4 defensive tackles who could replace Javon Hargrave for the Steelers

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/02/03/players-eating-much-cap-space-steelers/
Average players eating up too much cap space for Steelers

Quote :
Players like Mark Barron, Anthony Chickillo, Vince Williams, Vance McDonald, and Ramon Foster are taking up a rather large portion of Pittsburgh’s total spendings. Out of the team’s 22 total offensive and defensive starters, the five names I just mentioned are all in the top 13 in salary cap hits this season.

These poorly structured contracts may very well keep Pittsburgh from resigning a quality player like Bud Dupree, Javon Hargrave, or Mike Hilton long-term. For example, Mark Barron and Vince Williams split the Buck linebacker role on defense, yet they are reeling in a combined $15.15 million in 2020. At that number, the Steelers could technically afford any off-the-ball linebacker in the NFL except for Bobby Wagner or C.J. Mosely.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyTue Mar 10, 2020 3:52 am

I guess I'm still on the Ben bandwagon. I don't think he's done. He's the clear leader of the offense, we saw what we have in our backups and it's nothing that inspired confidence. Ben has shown time and time again that he bounces back well from injuries and the like. I still have confidence in him as the leader of this football team and until I see him have a bad season, I'm going to maintain that confidence.  Ben will be back under center, we'll shore up some holes in the offense, Colbert will work his cap magic, and we'll be just fine come the start of the regular season. Don't forget our defense (which was already pretty damn good) gets Tuitt back... a guy that was playing the best season of his career before his pectoral injury.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyTue Mar 10, 2020 2:10 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I guess I'm still on the Ben bandwagon. I don't think he's done. He's the clear leader of the offense, we saw what we have in our backups and it's nothing that inspired confidence. Ben has shown time and time again that he bounces back well from injuries and the like. I still have confidence in him as the leader of this football team and until I see him have a bad season, I'm going to maintain that confidence.  Ben will be back under center, we'll shore up some holes in the offense, Colbert will work his cap magic, and we'll be just fine come the start of the regular season. Don't forget our defense (which was already pretty damn good) gets Tuitt back... a guy that was playing the best season of his career before his pectoral injury.

I don't think the time is now to part ways with Ben. He's earned at least this next year to bounce back. I was around for Bradshaw's retirement and those were some lean years following. I'm afraid we could very well be in the same situation with Ben. Even if Ben comes back he is 38 and more prone to all kinds of injuries. Maybe MR takes a big step forward and proves we can trust him to win games. I sincerely hope Ben comes back and can play.
I'm excited about Ju Ju,Dionte and JW. I think if Ben is healthy these guys will shine. Still I have to worry about Ben.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyWed Mar 11, 2020 2:58 am

@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I don't think the time is now to part ways with Ben. He's earned at least this next year to bounce back. I was around for Bradshaw's retirement and those were some lean years following. I'm afraid we could very well be in the same situation with Ben. Even if Ben comes back he is 38 and more prone to all kinds of injuries. Maybe MR takes a big step forward and proves we can trust him to win games. I sincerely hope Ben comes back and can play.
I'm excited about Ju Ju,Dionte and JW. I think if Ben is healthy these guys will shine. Still I have to worry about Ben.
I wouldn't part ways with him. I hope that he bounces back from the elbow injury. I'm not confident he will. Still not in favor of dropping him. If for no other reason - respect what he's done for the Steelers. Let him retire the proper way the way Legends should retire. Plus it just doesn't make financial sense anyway. $25M hit? Savings of $8M? $8M doesn't get you anything with a QB. Better to roll the dice with Ben and hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyWed Mar 11, 2020 10:08 am

Ben has been done for a couple of years now. His deep ball has dropped off and his accuracy has been suspect prior to his injury. The organization made a huge mistake giving him such a huge contract so late in his career and its going to haunt this team for a while.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 1:22 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Ben has been done for a couple of years now. His deep ball has dropped off and his accuracy has been suspect prior to his injury. The organization made a huge mistake giving him such a huge contract so late in his career and its going to haunt this team for a while.

Here's to hoping you're wrong. If Ben was a UFA this year I might be singing a different tune. Maybe a prove it one year deal but we're all in for at least this year.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 6:46 pm

one thing is for sure..they need to get the salary cap issues straitened out. that start with trimming the fat. the fat being over paid mediocre players like chikillo , barron, vince williams among a few others. did you read where williams and barron who occupy the same position is eating up 17 million of cap space ? that is freakin insane !! 2 should be back up players getting pro bowl player quality money  , not to mention taking up an extra roster spot... It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency 1505004552

personally i think a change in management is needed. all of colberts moves the last few years seem like desperation moves instead of well thought out planing moves to improve the product on the field. to many swings and misses if you ask me. i think paying dupree will be the next big blunder to bite them in the ass... It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency 2087824411
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 pm

I hope I am wrong about Ben if I am we have a shot at a SB with the way our defense has progressed. I just seriously doubt he has what it takes to overcome the injury and put up the points. I hope this time next year people are telling me I need to eat crow. That would be pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 4:27 am

HOLD THE PHONES !!! ... It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency 1797695198

If they wanted, the time is now for the Steelers to move on from Ben Roethlisberger

Could the Pittsburgh Steelers want to move on from Big Ben? If so, the time is now!

READ FULL ARTICLE
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/3/13/21166204/if-they-wanted-the-time-is-now-for-the-steelers-to-move-on-from-ben-roethlisberger-nfl-nflpa-cba

Quote :
What has to happen to allow such bold moves?

The first aspect that has to be in play is a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Why is this so important? Simply put, the Pittsburgh Steelers have to have the flexibility with their cap space not only to move on from our beloved 38-year-old quarterback. Under the current rules of the CBA, the Steelers’ hands are tied.

Quote :
Post-June 1st designations.

The current CBA disallows June 1st designations. Why is this so important? The Steelers need cap space to bring another quarterback into the organization. The only way this is accomplished is cap space. The future Hall of Famer will count $33.5 million against the cap in 2020 but not all that money is guaranteed. If the Steelers move on from Big Ben, the team would eat $25 million in dead money and save a mere $8.5 million towards the cap. With a new CBA in place, it would allow June 1st designations. What happens when a team designates a player as a Post June 1st cut, the players guaranteed signing bonus can be split over two seasons. Now that $25 million cap hit turns into $12.5 million in 2020 and $12.5 million in 2021. The move creates $21 million in cap space for 2020.

The current CBA also has a frustrating quirk to it — the 30% rule. I have talked about this extensively in the offseason as the rule is hindering the way the Steelers do business. In a nutshell, a player who signs a new contract has to have his contract structured so they cannot be back-loaded through 2023. Let’s say Pittsburgh signed Bridgwater to a four-year deal. If 2020 was $10 million, 2021 could not be higher than $13 million, 2022 could not be higher than $16 million, and 2023 could not be higher than $19 million. The new CBA would eliminate the rule and return the Steelers’ ability to work contracts like they normally would.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 11:04 am

The year before he got hurt he was one of the best in the league. I'm not Ready to give to on him yet. If the elbow is 100% and the way or defense is playing we have as good of a chance as anybody...ANYBODY!

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 2:39 pm

@vasteeler wrote:
The year before he got hurt he was one of the best in the league. I'm not Ready to give to on him yet. If the elbow is 100% and the way or defense is playing we have as good of a chance as anybody...ANYBODY!

then there is the rest of the authors argument for moving on now which makes perfect sense to me...

Quote :
I love Ben as much as the rest of you, but this is a purely business decision. The career year he had in 2018 was because of being the most imbalanced team in the NFL throwing passes for over 70 percent of offensive snaps. Does he really have another 5,000 yards in him or will he top those 16 interceptions because of inactivity and being out of shape? What if Ben is not ready at the start of the 2020 season? The team surely does not have any cap space to go out and grab a decent backup. Now the team would be forced to watch Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges duke it out for who gets thrown to the wolves? No thanks, we saw how that played out last season. That tandem is better served riding the pine and learning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency   It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: