Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" Empty
PostSubject: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptyFri Jun 05, 2020 1:36 am

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/06/steven-nelson-on-steelers-2020-defense-were-stacked-from-top-to-bottom/

I think it's fairly obvious this defense is pretty good, and now I think these guys are really starting to get a swagger about them. Going to be interesting to see how this defense builds on their production from last season. Will they be better? Or will their production fall off?

IMHO, I think they're going to be better than last season with some of the additions we've made. I think getting Stephon Tuitt back is also going to be a huge boost for this defensive line. With Ben back and running the offense I expect the defense is actually going to get a breather, and they'll be fresher when they are out on the field. I think that's going to translate into more splash plays, and more turnovers.

When it comes to Steelers football, I can be a bit too optimistic at times, particularly in the offseason, but I do have a good feeling about this squad right now.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptyFri Jun 05, 2020 7:45 am

It will not surprise me if we have the #1 defense this year. I'm also a bit too optimistic at times. I think anything less than top 5 would be a shame. If Ben is healthy we may see #7 give us #7 this year. Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" 1647293567
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptyFri Jun 05, 2020 7:49 am

@solardave wrote:
It will not surprise me if we have the #1 defense this year. I'm also a bit too optimistic at times. I think anything less than top 5 would be a shame. If Ben is healthy we may see #7 give us #7 this year. Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" 1647293567

If this defense isn't in the Top 5 by the end of the season then something is definitely wrong! Getting #7 back is going to be a huge boost for this team overall. After having to submit myself to the visual equivalent of water torture in watching Rudolph/Hodges play all of last season, I'm more than ready to see Ben back under center.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 6:34 am

I'm not as optimistic as you guys concerning our defense. That has nothing to do with the quality of our players, but last year we were extremely lucky with the lack of injuries of our D. We only lost Tuitt for a significant time and VW for 2 games. All our other starters and depth players were available for all 16 games!

While we were very fortunate with our D, it was the other way around with our O. A ton of injuries for several key players (Ben the most important one of course), which was unheard of. I expect it to be more balanced out this season, some more injuries on the D and less on the O. So I hope we will have a better season in total, but with a less dominant D because of injuries. Still a top 5 D if nothing happens with Watt, Fitzpatrick and Bush and we can't lose both Heyward and Tuitt.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 7:31 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
I'm not as optimistic as you guys concerning our defense. That has nothing to do with the quality of our players, but last year we were extremely lucky with the lack of injuries of our D. We only lost Tuitt for a significant time and VW for 2 games. All our other starters and depth players were available for all 16 games!

While we were very fortunate with our D, it was the other way around with our O. A ton of injuries for several key players (Ben the most important one of course), which was unheard of. I expect it to be more balanced out this season, some more injuries on the D and less on the O. So I hope we will have a better season in total, but with a less dominant D because of injuries. Still a top 5 D if nothing happens with Watt, Fitzpatrick and Bush and we can't lose both Heyward and Tuitt.

Valid points but you're not factoring how much harder the defense had to play based on O injuries. We have young talent yet to make their mark. I'm thinking of UGIII for one. You didn't mention him being injured and on IR I'm guessing because he's not a starter... yet and I think Buggs will take the next step up.. Hell I've been wrong plenty but I still think we have a top 5 D at least.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 3:48 pm

I believe barring any substantial injuries the D will be top 5 easily. The front office has systematically eliminated the weak points, losing Shazier (Bush), bringing in Nelson ( a steal by Colbert), and trading for Fitzpatrick (immediately closed arguably our weakest point our soft middle).

Link that with the fact of BB can come back and be healthy he will help sustain Offensive drives that will keep our D fresh. Our Offense last year couldn't sustain drives and our D held up extremely well even when our Offense would go 3 and out repeatedly during long stretches of games.

I am optimistic we could easily be in the top 3 BB wont need to put up 30+ points a game to win games like he had to in previous seasons. It's a snowball effect when you can get some balance on both sides and domination on on the other. This D is primed for a truly dominant year if they can avoid major injuries.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptyMon Jun 08, 2020 1:34 am

@solardave wrote:
Valid points but you're not factoring how much harder the defense had to play based on O injuries.

This. The defense was expected to do everything. The offense constantly sputtered, and turned the ball over and where most defensive units would crumble and games would turn into blowouts our defense instead kept us in games we probably shouldn't of been in. For my money, our defense was tops in the league last season with the amount of success they had under a tremendous amount of pressure.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptyMon Jun 08, 2020 3:28 pm

I think the defense will be really good this season, wondering with a short off season of practices will there be an up tick of injuries in the NFL with less off season practices for offenses the defense should come out on fire. Worried about injuries

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptyTue Jun 09, 2020 4:46 am

@effyou515 wrote:
I think the defense will be really good this season, wondering with a short off season of practices will there be an up tick of injuries in the NFL with less off season practices for offenses the defense should come out on fire. Worried about injuries  

I believe you're right Eff. However it will hit the entire league so it should equal out. Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" 2087824411 Health is our key to being a special team this year.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 1:59 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

Valid points but you're not factoring how much harder the defense had to play based on O injuries. We have young talent yet to make their mark. I'm thinking of UGIII for one. You didn't mention him being injured and on IR I'm guessing because he's not a starter... yet and I think Buggs will take the next step up.. Hell I've been wrong plenty but I still think we have a top 5 D at least.

Good points. Speaking of Buggs, let's hope he can take the next step because we can certainly use him. After we've lost Hargrave, who is severely underrated by a lot of people, we need some help at the D-Line. McCullers ain't it for sure and Alualu has proven over the years he's a decent sub but not a starter.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" EmptyThu Jun 11, 2020 4:49 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

Good points. Speaking of Buggs, let's hope he can take the next step because we can certainly use him. After we've lost Hargrave, who is severely underrated by a lot of people, we need some help at the D-Line. McCullers ain't it for sure and Alualu has proven over the years he's a decent sub but not a starter.

I can't understand why McCullers is still here. you're right about Alualu too. He does pretty good spotting but I doubt he could play more than that at a high level so that leaves Buggs to step up.I see a rotation with these 3 with Buggs playing the majority.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"   Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom" Empty

Back to top Go down

Steven Nelson says this 2020 Defense is "Stacked from top to bottom"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: