Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSolutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes Empty
PostSubject: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyWed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Art has a nice breakdown on why the secondary looks like shit.

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyWed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm

That's good stuff. Hopefully Moats can get in someones ear in the secondary!!!
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 3:12 pm

a quick break down of the videos is the dbacks are playing way to conservative almost like a prevent defense. they are not bumping the receivers off the line and giving them big cushions. as for minkah , he says he is not taking any risk . not jumping routes. so in other words they are not being aggressive enough and being reactive instead of proactive.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 3:21 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
a quick break down of the videos is the dbacks are playing way to conservative almost like a prevent defense. they are not bumping the receivers off the line and giving them big cushions. as for minkah , he says he is not taking any risk . not jumping routes. so in other words they are not being aggressive enough and being reactive instead of proactive.

This is not a new problem. Question is who is controlling this? Butler? Tomlin? Or are these guys suddenly scared to make a mistake while making mistakes? All of these guys are good cover guys but they have to press. You can't let any receiver have a free run playing 10 or more yards off of him. The only one who doesn't seem scared is Nelson.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 3:55 pm

@solardave wrote:

This is not a new problem. Question is who is controlling this? Butler? Tomlin? Or are these guys suddenly scared to make a mistake while making mistakes? All of these guys are good cover guys but they have to press. You can't let any receiver have a free run playing 10 or more yards off of him. The only one who doesn't seem scared is Nelson.

why would you change what was working for you ? Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 2087824411   and then after failing with the change over and over why would you stick with it ? Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 1505004552
it reminds me of the bubble screens they used to run 6-7 times a game for 1 yard.... Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 2913999526

Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes Einstein
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 6:21 pm

imho at the start of games the defense is aggressive then the offense builds a lead Butler dials back the aggressiveness game gets close Butler dials aggression back up. same pattern the last four games.

told the wife that l was going to the bar for a couple of beers, she said ok be back in a couple hours, l said ok see you later. l called her an hour later, babe someone at the bar coughed and because of Covid-19 we are quarantined for the next 14 days.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
imho at the start of games the defense is aggressive then the offense builds a lead Butler dials back the aggressiveness game gets close Butler dials aggression back up. same pattern the last four games.
this ^^^^,,,,how many times have we seen a team dominate on defense for 3 quarters then fall apart and give up 17,24,28 points and lose because they went "prevent" ?

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyFri Oct 16, 2020 2:48 am

[quote="Master_Of_Puppets"][quote="solardave"]

why would you change what was working for you ? Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 2087824411   and then after failing with the change over and over why would you stick with it ?

I completely agree with this assessment. This is the most maddening thing about watching these Keith Butler defenses year in and year out. Sometimes they look elite, but at other times I feel like Butler is holding these guys back through poor scheming and game-planning. I mean this defense was elite last season, and managed to keep an offensively challenged team in football games that they never should of been in. It has always seemed to me like Butler struggles with in-game adjustments. He essentially keeps trying to put a square peg in a round hole and keeps trying hoping that it will eventually work.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyFri Oct 16, 2020 3:13 am

In today's NFL if you are dominating in a game you better keep the pedal down to keep the other team from mounting a comeback. I don't know if Tomlin wants to be a gentleman or what his problem is. We should not be letting up until the final kneel. Sweep the leg!!!!

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyFri Oct 16, 2020 7:52 am

@solardave wrote:
In today's NFL if you are dominating in a game you better keep the pedal down to keep the other team from mounting a comeback. I don't know if Tomlin wants to be a gentleman or what his problem is. We should not be letting up until the final kneel. Sweep the leg!!!!

I know right? How many times do we have to watch the Falcons choke away giant leads before we realize that games aren't over until the clock runs out?

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptyFri Oct 16, 2020 11:18 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

I know right? How many times do we have to watch the Falcons choke away giant leads before we realize that games aren't over until the clock runs out?
indeed..the so called "prevent" defense would not be in my playbook. and on the flip side if the passing game is working im not gonna play to punt the ball just because we have a lead. how often have we seen that strategy ...run , run, run, punt. ...but we took over 2 minutes off the clock...take that bitches..... Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 2913999526
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 am

@effyou515 wrote:

I think that's been a problem with both the defense and offense in the Tomlin era. When they get a decent lead, they stop doing what was working and start playing conservatively. As much as I hate Belichick, I respect his killer instinct. His teams can be up 30 points in the 4th, and they're still trying to score.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
https://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 4:40 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

I think that's been a problem with both the defense and offense in the Tomlin era. When they get a decent lead, they stop doing what was working and start playing conservatively. As much as I hate Belichick, I respect his killer instinct. His teams can be up 30 points in the 4th, and they're still trying to score.

Right on both points. I hate Belichick too but why would any coach worry about what the rest of the league thinks about pouring it on? You see teams score 14 or even 21 points in just minutes,come from behind and win while the better team stands there in disbelief. If I coached I wouldn't give a damn whether the coach on the other side wanted to shake my hand after the game. Maholmes is a perfect example of what a really good QB can do to your "prevent defense" which is to prove that it prevented you from winning the game.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 11:22 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

don't forget Cowher he did the same thing. it's been a Steelers m o for a couple of decades.

told the wife that l was going to the bar for a couple of beers, she said ok be back in a couple hours, l said ok see you later. l called her an hour later, babe someone at the bar coughed and because of Covid-19 we are quarantined for the next 14 days.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 6:59 pm

it reminds me of the movies when the victim successfully incapacitates the attacker, and instead of beating them to death while they are vulnerable and neutralizing the threat , they run only to have the attacker catch them again .... Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 1505004552

if you were just trying to kill me , you damn well better not let me get the upper hand ... Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 2672159185
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 6:43 am

it reminds me of the movies when the victim successfully incapacitates the attacker, and instead of beating them to death while they are vulnerable and neutralizing  the threat Like that commercial where they hide behind the chainsaws, Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 1797695198 they run only to have the attacker catch them again .... Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 1505004552

if you were just trying to kill me , you damn well better not let me get the upper hand ... Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes 2672159185

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 8:51 am

www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/10/17/21518769/important-steelers-statistics-at-the-quarter-pole-of-the-2020-season-ben-roethlisberger-nfl-news

Important Steelers statistics at the quarter pole of the 2020 season

Passing Offense, Overall and Rush Defense, Pass Defense, Efficiency, Other Team Stats,

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes   Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes Empty

Back to top Go down

Solutions For The Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Woes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: