Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers vs. Washington Football Team

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Washington Football Team   Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2020 4:42 pm

[quote="kirklandrules"]
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
here is an utter failure on the defense. im not sure but it looks like they have vince williams assigned to the TE logan who was chewing them up all game. at least VW is the only one who seems to react to his pattern.
asking a slow linebacker to cover a much faster TE when they are lined up pre snap on the opposite side is just crazy. of course i could be wrong and VW was mot his assignment in which case kudos to vince for being to only one to see they just royally fucked up. it could be that avery williamson picked up the wrong guy and VW tried to cover his assignment.

Note: I don't know what defense they called on this play.

If they called an underneath man coverage, then I think VW gets stuck on the crossing pattern of the receivers and it was his man that was open for the TD. I suspect, though, that VW has the inside route and AW the outside (zone coverage). I'm just guessing because although VW isn't the fastest cover LB in the league, he very much understands his assignments. AW seemed lost or slow on several pass plays. So I'm just laying blame on the new guy. Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 1797695198

i would say you are correct. if you rewatch the play, VW actually gets picked by AW and #87 moving in the direction of thomas was an after thought . if thomas was actually his assignment Butler should be fired .. Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 1505004552
at the very least he should be reamed for allowing players on the field who are clueless.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Washington Football Team   Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2020 4:58 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
Kirkland - some very good analysis.

This is a very good football team that has Earned a trip to the postseason - but has been shaky in back to back games.  Losing might be the best thing though - takes the pressure off.  

There's a lot of work to be done.  As you pointed out, the drops really killed them.  8 drops.  Or 7 drops.  Can NOT happen.  Its why Ebron hasn't stuck and was available, too.  He's a beast when he catches it but....
If you've got a receiver that can't catch the ball - you don't have a receiver.  He has no value if he can't catch it.  Remember Limas Sweed?
Ben did not play well.  He was man enough to say so.  A lot of others didn't play well too.  The team needs to be able to run the football.  The D needs to be elite, they are the linchpin of this team.   And they need to be elite whether guys get hurt or not.  Losing Nelson and Haden were huge losses - but no excuse for receivers to be wide open 3 straight plays.

Side note:  Did you guys catch this?  Right before halftime, Alex Smith walks off the field with the football - causing the "administrative issue" where the referees stop the clock and find a ball - giving their FG team time to line up and kick.

Here's what people missed:  he did it intentionally.  Replay shows him carrying the football off the field, and then a wry grin across his face.  

That dude is smart.  I hold no hostility toward him for that move - I've always liked Smith.  Its just an example of a really smart move by a veteran QB who had a deep understanding of how the rules work (correction needed, however:  it should have been a delay of game or just run the clock down, by the rules).

Yeah that was a smart move but it was also DELAY OF GAME and should have been penalized.
. Yes - as I mentioned above.

Yes, the refs screwed that FG play and should have penalized Washington for delay of game. Totally irresponsible for stopping the game like that and allowing a team to take their sweet time to kick a FG to end the half.

I totally agree that receivers who can't catch aren't receivers. I've heard 8 drops for the Washington game ... that's 16 drops in two games Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 2761542443

I can share a quick story that touches on the topic of receivers who aren't performing. When I was in college, our daily meetings started with a full team meeting, then we would break-out into position groups. One day our head coach started the team meeting, very angerly, describing examples of poor performance in the morning practice by his WRs. I was on defense (LB) and normally wouldn't hear these issues if they weren't aired in the full team session. The HC then states that if he sees any of those efforts in the afternoon practice, the offensive line would stay after practice and run. Seeing the confusion on the O-linemen's faces, he then changes his mind and says: "Since the linemen don't know how to take that statement, the linebackers will stay after the next practice and run until they puke. I trust those men will know how to fix this issue.". Ha, needless to say we didn't have to run after practice.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Washington Football Team   Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2020 5:17 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
here is an utter failure on the defense. im not sure but it looks like they have vince williams assigned to the TE logan who was chewing them up all game. at least VW is the only one who seems to react to his pattern.
asking a slow linebacker to cover a much faster TE when they are lined up pre snap on the opposite side is just crazy. of course i could be wrong and VW was mot his assignment in which case kudos to vince for being to only one to see they just royally fucked up. it could be that avery williamson picked up the wrong guy and VW tried to cover his assignment.

Note: I don't know what defense they called on this play.

If they called an underneath man coverage, then I think VW gets stuck on the crossing pattern of the receivers and it was his man that was open for the TD. I suspect, though, that VW has the inside route and AW the outside (zone coverage). I'm just guessing because although VW isn't the fastest cover LB in the league, he very much understands his assignments. AW seemed lost or slow on several pass plays. So I'm just laying blame on the new guy. Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 1797695198

i would say you are correct. if you rewatch the play, VW actually gets picked by AW and #87 moving in the direction of thomas was an after thought . if thomas was actually his assignment Butler should be fired .. Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 1505004552
at the very least he should be reamed for allowing players on the field who are clueless.

Well, the Steelers like to change up their coverages to give that QB a half second pause to try to process the coverage ... then TJ get's his sack. If it's man, then yes, VW has the inside receiver (who actually runs outside) and VW has the outside receiver (who runs inside). It's a cheap way for the offense to run a "pick" against man coverage. Then I would say AW needs to make contact with his receiver and push that route closer to the line of scrimmage so he doesn't collide with his teammate.

It's easy sitting on the couch and saying the guy screwed up. But in reality, those LBs have to know what is happening within the first couple steps the offense takes on the snap of the ball. If you don't know what's happening by the time those guys are on steps 4, you're already beat. What if that had been a run play and you were chasing the TE down the field?
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Washington Football Team   Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2020 8:33 am

@jak341 wrote:
Colin Coward just reveling in the Steelers loss. Better teams according to him? Giants, Washington, Patriots**, Browns, etc.

Patriots* looked great last night. Glad to see they are better than the Steelers. Colin Coward, keep those opinions coming Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 3562723908
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Washington Football Team   Steelers vs. Washington Football Team - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers vs. Washington Football Team
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: