Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWith up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? Empty
PostSubject: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 1:10 pm

https://triblive.com/sports/with-up-to-10-starters-set-for-free-agency-is-2020-a-last-ride-for-steelers-as-we-know-them/

Quote :
Of course, in a no-brainer decision, the Steelers exercised their fifth-year option on Watt in April, extending him through 2021. And Watt’s status as one of the league’s best players assures the Steelers will do everything they can to keep him in Pittsburgh long after that, too.

But can the same be about an inordinately large number of Watt’s teammates? Particularly, with up to 10 starter-caliber players on expiring contracts whose playing tenures with the Steelers could end as soon as next month?

Eighteen players are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents later this winter, and another (tight end Vance McDonald) has a club option that would need to be picked up for 2021.

While that raw number of UFA’s isn’t terribly out of the ordinary, the number of key contributors is. Depending on how you define it, anywhere from six to 10 starters are in the final season of their contracts.

the front office has some hard working days in front of them.

The female players "Coach she's to big and strong we can't stop her. coach "hit her in the dick" With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? 1392824647  
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? Empty
PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 5:42 pm

i've been sounding this alarm for awhile now. not only after this year, but 2022 there is several expiring contracts. in a way this season with a lot of players missing time has been a positive as far as getting to look to see what they have on the bench. in other words they should have their draft need priorities more focused. after the season they should have some interesting player evaluations. some of the vets have clearly taken a step back from their standard while a few younger guys stepped up. i would expect a big shake up. partially forced out of cap necessity and partially due to individuals decline in play.

solardave and IowaSteeler927 like this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 11:54 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i've been sounding this alarm for awhile now. not only after this year, but 2022 there is several expiring contracts. in a way this season with a lot of players missing time has been a positive as far as getting to look to see what they have on the bench. in other words they should have their draft need priorities  more focused. after the season they should have some interesting player evaluations. some of the vets have clearly taken a step back from their standard while a few younger guys stepped up. i would expect a big shake up. partially forced out of cap necessity and partially due to individuals decline in play.

Claypool on offense and Watt on defense then a bunch of different players after 2022. With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? 1797695198

The female players "Coach she's to big and strong we can't stop her. coach "hit her in the dick" With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? 1392824647  
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 7:51 am

The biggest question is: what is Ben doing? All decisions come off of that. After reading other's thoughts this year's short passing game and why we are not not seeing changes, I'm starting to feel as others have: Ben's elbow is not the same. That would make sense on why we've not seen any changes to the short passing play calls. It isn't we won't change, we can't change. This is awful to say, but if your QB can't move the ball down the field and will not have that ability again, it is time to move on.

When that time comes, either this year or next, we are in full rebuild mode anyway. So, if Ben decides he has had enough, I don't know if there is anyone on that list I would absolutely need to resign outside of Watt.

Here is where I would go:
  • Resign Watt.
  • Make an offer to JuJu, but it won't be number 1 WR money. He has not earned that at all.
  • Make an offer to Hilton, as long as it doesn't break the bank.
  • Feiler and Banner: one or the other. I would go Banner, as he may be cheaper.

The rest can walk, because if Ben is done, it won't matter for years.

Now, if Ben comes back and looks healthy, that changes things slightly. It is still going to be hard to field the same team, with the decreased salary cap. But honestly, I don't know if I would do anything different. At some point, and maybe that time really is now, we have to think beyond Ben and what this team should look like.

solardave and Stella Nation like this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 8:51 am

@jak341 wrote:
The biggest question is: what is Ben doing? All decisions come off of that. After reading other's thoughts this year's short passing game and why we are not not seeing changes, I'm starting to feel as others have: Ben's elbow is not the same. That would make sense on why we've not seen any changes to the short passing play calls. It isn't we won't change, we can't change. This is awful to say, but if your QB can't move the ball down the field and will not have that ability again, it is time to move on.

When that time comes, either this year or next, we are in full rebuild mode anyway. So, if Ben decides he has had enough, I don't know if there is anyone on that list I would absolutely need to resign outside of Watt.

Here is where I would go:

• Resign Watt.
  • Make an offer to JuJu, but it won't be number 1 WR money. He has not earned that at all.
  • Make an offer to Hilton, as long as it doesn't break the bank.
  • Feiler and Banner: one or the other. I would go Banner, as he may be cheaper.

The rest can walk, because if Ben is done, it won't matter for years.

Now, if Ben comes back and looks healthy, that changes things slightly. It is still going to be hard to field the same team, with the decreased salary cap. But honestly, I don't know if I would do anything different. At some point, and maybe that time really is now, we have to think beyond Ben and what this team should look like.

the salary cap is a big unknown, l'm sure it's going to be down the next couple of years.

Ben's deep balls have been off and l think he has the freedom to call what play he want before the snap, at 33.5 million this year and the talented receivers and the time the o-line has been giving him he should be chewing up defenses and spiting them out. imho Ben doesn't like to be under center he wants to be back in shotgun all the time which doesn't help the running no play action pass to work off each other offensive coordinators come and go same so so offense. is it time to bring in a new QB to work with coach Canada? is Ben still worth over 30 million a year?

one thing l know there is no big money going to be thrown at free agents this off season except TJ Watt.

just looked up Ben's contract 41,250,000 million next season with a 22,000,000 cap hit so Ben might be around one more year?

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 6:33 pm

i wouldnt pay any of these guys their projected spotrac value...i guess mike hilton would be about the same as suttons.
juju is a good possession guy but he isnt a big play deep threat. i think something around 13 mill a year is more reasonable.
connor cant stay off the injury list. i wouldnt even make him an offer.
sutton has played ok, but couldnt even land a starter role. no way they should pay a part timer 7 million a year...4 tops. i think hilton is more valuable than sutton.

With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? Cam10
With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? Juju10
With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? James10

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyWed Dec 16, 2020 4:32 pm

The subject of JuJu came up on Gerry Dulac's chat today. He thinks he'll be back:

Quote :

Ed: Gerry - you still think they will resign JuJu? I just don’t know how you commit 15-16mill a year to him. I’d rather see us re sign Hilton or honestly give it to Bud. Bud and Watt change games together more than 19
Gerry Dulac: Yep. Look, Al Villanueva won't be brought back, Vance McDonald will be given the take-it-or-leave option and James Conner will not be re-signed (and why would you). That's a boatload of cap space right there. JuJu is their top dependable receiver, like Hines Ward. And, what, they gonna get rid of everybody off an 11-2 division winning team? Really?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/12/16/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-12-16-20/stories/202012160094

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyWed Dec 16, 2020 6:24 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
The subject of JuJu came up on Gerry Dulac's chat today. He thinks he'll be back:

Quote :

Ed: Gerry - you still think they will resign JuJu? I just don’t know how you commit 15-16mill a year to him. I’d rather see us re sign Hilton or honestly give it to Bud. Bud and Watt change games together more than 19
Gerry Dulac: Yep. Look, Al Villanueva won't be brought back, Vance McDonald will be given the take-it-or-leave option and James Conner will not be re-signed (and why would you). That's a boatload of cap space right there. JuJu is their top dependable receiver, like Hines Ward. And, what, they gonna get rid of everybody off an 11-2 division winning team? Really?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/12/16/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-12-16-20/stories/202012160094
is he really trying to use 11-2 to justify his point of view ? that 11-2 could easily turn into 11-5. 11-5 is still a good record but that 11 game win streak will be quickly forgotten about with a 5 game losing streak and a quick exit from the playoffs. its not how you start it is how you finish.
Mr Dulac also doesnt take into consideration a lowered salary cap.that could wipe out any gain from purging the players salaries he mentioned from the cap. he also forgets those players will have to be replaced by a new players salary. unless they hit a homerun on all of the draft picks in 2021 and come out of it with half a  dozen cheap starters, they will need to dip their own toes in the free agent pond. they have more than one good receiver on the team , losing JuJu would be unfortunate but not devastating. putting an expensive set of wheels on your car with an engine ready to blow would be a good comparison.
Quote :
NFL Ratings Slump Severely Affecting Network Advertising Revenues
Quote :
– Report
The WSJ reported that some networks have considered letting advertisers pay less for commercials during NFL games and other programming. Compounding the problem is that what’s described as “a large amount” of the remaining commercial time available in games is being given to marketers as a make-good for poor ratings. That leaves little available to be sold.

NFL advertising is a bedrock of network revenue, which means the hit could cascade problems in other areas.

Quote :
Through the first 13 weeks of the season, TV and digital NFL ratings were down 7% across the broadcast and cable networks, according to Nielsen data. Viewership in the 18-49 and 25-54 demos was hit even harder.

Last edited by Master_Of_Puppets on Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptySun Dec 20, 2020 11:29 am

Jason La Canfora is extremely blunt on the Steelers and where they stand. It isn't a pretty read.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-weve-already-seen-the-best-ben-roethlisberger-and-steelers-can-muster-coach-buzz-and-more/
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptySun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 pm

@jak341 wrote:
Jason La Canfora is extremely blunt on the Steelers and where they stand. It isn't a pretty read.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-weve-already-seen-the-best-ben-roethlisberger-and-steelers-can-muster-coach-buzz-and-more/

l got booed here saying this a couple yeas ago. the Steelers had the defense this year to hide the short comings of the offense and give them short fields like the Jason said injuries hurt this defense, the achilles heel the ILB who can't get middle deep in coverage and tackle sideline to sideline now they have a talented player in the spot who is new and doesn't know the defense. just like a couple years back Steelers defense was on fire until Shazier's injury.

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2020 10:00 am

Speculation? Inside info.? Or just a logical conclusion?

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh-steelers/doug-whaley-predicts-ben-roethlisberger-kevin-colbert-retirements-will-coincide/
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2020 4:46 pm

looks like a big time re-build this off season,could see this happening.

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Stealing this from Steelers Depot. No matter how this season ends, it is time to clean house.

Steelers Depot wrote:
Mike Tomlin’s team will also finish this decade with a postseason record of 5-6, their lowest tally since the 1990s, when the Steelers also went 5-6. Out of those six postseason appearances, three have ended with one and done outcomes. There were playoff upsets to Tim Tebow, Joe Flacco and even the debacle that was Blake Bortles hanging 45-points on this defense at Heinz Field.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/steelers-end-decade-tied-for-second-most-wins-but-have-little-else-to-show-for-it/
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2020 12:04 am

@jak341 wrote:
Stealing this from Steelers Depot. No matter how this season ends, it is time to clean house.

Steelers Depot wrote:
Mike Tomlin’s team will also finish this decade with a postseason record of 5-6, their lowest tally since the 1990s, when the Steelers also went 5-6. Out of those six postseason appearances, three have ended with one and done outcomes. There were playoff upsets to Tim Tebow, Joe Flacco and even the debacle that was Blake Bortles hanging 45-points on this defense at Heinz Field.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/steelers-end-decade-tied-for-second-most-wins-but-have-little-else-to-show-for-it/

How many late season collapses are they going to allow Tomlin to have? Sick of this.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2020 2:03 am

a lot of bright young coaches out there, Tomlin's buddy Fichner gots to go, Watt is the only free agent l'd spend the money on let the rest test the free market.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2020 2:23 am

Obviously we gotta keep Watt, and I'd try to keep Sutton/Hilton if possible. Bud Dupree is likely going to be too expensive to keep.

We need to inject some youth into this roster. The O-Line in particular needs to get younger. Pouncey has lost a step, Villanueva is a good pass blocker, but terrible in the run game. Could definitely use youth at C and LT, something to get the running game going again. I am hoping they address the o-line in the 2021 Draft.

I agree about Fichtner, his offense isn't getting the job done. It has been at best good, and at times absolutely subpar. It has never been excellent. He seemingly has no ability to make in-game adjustments when opposing defenses have success against us. In my profession, when we're forced to use force they tell us that if a technique like a pressure point isn't working, use a different technique. Randy Fichtner continuously uses the same techniques hoping that they are eventually going to work.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 6:02 pm

This is why JuJu won't be back. That salary is outrageous.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/breaking-down-pffs-landing-spots-market-values-of-steelers-top-soon-to-be-urfas/

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 11:03 pm

Would love to see a bunch of trades to move up in the draft, to gain players in the draft, etc. Especially veterans we can't keep anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?   With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them? Empty

Back to top Go down

With up to 10 starters set for free agency, is 2020 a ‘last ride’ for Steelers as we know them?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: