Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWeek 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 12:15 pm

A couple more quick observation from the week 17 game that we can watch for in this weekend's playoff game:

• Rudolph was under center more than we've seen Ben. His fake handoffs on play-action (IMO) were really good. Several times I saw the Cleveland LBs either freeze or move forward on the fakes. Something Ben might want to consider is to put some extra effort on his fakes.
  • Snell really does not handle pass blocking responsibilities well. He's missed assignments in past games and did not pick up the pressure that resulted in the INT. Now in his defense on that INT, Dotson most likely is responsible for the inside blitzer yet he steps outside. But that RB has to pick up the pressure regardless and he failed to keep the guy from getting into Rudolph grill.
  • Alex Highsmith had a really good game against a starting LT. He continues to pressure the QB and was able to get a sack. I love the growth he's show in the short time he's been a starter and gives me hope that if Dupree is finished in the 'Burgh, they have an option that looks promising.
  • The ILBs didn't look good in either run or pass defense. Not sure if they feel differently, but they didn't just fail to make positive impacts to the games, they left too many plays on the field.
  • The refs sucked. Of course that is standard for losing fans. But how many times will we see Steelers defenders breaking into the backfield and tackled from behind by the offensive linemen. And Claypool was interfered with on just about every throw his way, some of those were completely obvious. Yet the refs were keeping their laundry clean. Anyways, that crew should not be part of any playoff games.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 12:53 pm

@Shalieve5090 wrote:
Browns HC Kevin Stefanski, 2 other coaches and 2 players tested positive

Of the two players, one is a WR and another is an O-lineman. Sounds like a team that will have their backs against a wall. Baker won't win this game for them, so they will need to rely on the run game.

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 2:08 pm

From Ray Fittipaldo at Post Gazette. Looks like we're getting some players back:

Quote :
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said inside linebacker Robert Spillane and offensive lineman Matt Feiler could come off injured reserve and be available to the Steelers in the AFC wild card game against the Browns on Sunday night at Heinz Field.

Safety Terrell Edmunds and kicker Chris Boswell “may get an opportunity to work their way back into the fold,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin was less specific about the three players who are on the COVID list: cornerback Joe Haden, tight end Eric Ebron and linebacker Cassius Marsh. Haden cannot play because he tested positive and will not be out of the COVID protocol in time, but Ebron and Marsh might be available if they test negative.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/01/05/pittsburgh-steelers-mike-tomlin-robert-spillane-cleveland-browns-nfl-playoffs/stories/202101050132

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 2:10 pm

@Shalieve5090 wrote:
Browns HC Kevin Stefanski, 2 other coaches and 2 players tested positive

Quote :
Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski, two additional members of the coaching staff and two players have tested positive for COVID-19 and will not be available for the AFC wild-card game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday night if the game remains as scheduled.

In making the announcement Tuesday, the Browns said special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer will serve as the acting head coach. Offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt is expected to call the offensive plays in place of Stefanski, a source told ESPN.

Wide receiver KhaDarel Hodge and Pro Bowl guard Joel Bitonio were the players to test positive, a source told ESPN, while the other coaches to test positive were defensive backs coach Jeff Howard and tight ends coach Drew Petzing.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30656525/cleveland-browns-head-coach-kevin-stefanski-tests-positive-covid-19

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 2:11 pm

🤞🤞 that this doesn't become some big outbreak and we lose more players
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 2:50 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Shalieve5090 wrote:
Tommy Maddox, theres a name i wish I could forget

Tommy Gun. 1 year wonder. Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 1797695198

I always thought he had a gun for an arm but he was probably the most immobile QB I've ever seen. He was like a statue back there.

l like tommy gun but bill's run run pass offense could of mixed up a little for tommy.

Yeah, I liked the guy, but he could look really bad at times. Wasn't he the QB when the Steelers lost to the Texans when the Texans gained 47 yards on offense? 4 INTs and at least two went to the house. Hopefully Tommy Gun was hung over or something for that game. The thing I liked about the guy was that he was selling insurance or something and jumped into the Steelers QB spot when they needed somebody ... and had some early success. Just imagine what his career could have been had he been draft by a team that provided solid coaching for him to develop at the pro level.

Kordell was tough to watch. He had one really good year and almost took them to the SB. Sadly, I always thought Kordell would have been the best WR in the league and a good Slash player for a change of pace ... if he didn't push to be a QB. He was a fabulous athlete and an o.k. QB.

I always had the idea had Stewart stayed in the slash role he may have been HOF caliber. That sort of position was innovative and it doesn't seem like there was anything close to that prior to him. He had it in his head he was a starting QB but lining him up at QB-RB-WR 8-10x each in a game over a full career would have been a lethal weapon and basically create a new position. A sort offensive 'utility infielder'.

Master_Of_Puppets and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 5:07 pm

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day get togethers are now coming home to roost for Covid transmissions...
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
A couple more quick observation from the week 17 game that we can watch for in this weekend's playoff game:

• Rudolph was under center more than we've seen Ben. His fake handoffs on play-action (IMO) were really good. Several times I saw the Cleveland LBs either freeze or move forward on the fakes. Something Ben might want to consider is to put some extra effort on his fakes.
  • Snell really does not handle pass blocking responsibilities well. He's missed assignments in past games and did not pick up the pressure that resulted in the INT. Now in his defense on that INT, Dotson most likely is responsible for the inside blitzer yet he steps outside. But that RB has to pick up the pressure regardless and he failed to keep the guy from getting into Rudolph grill.
  • Alex Highsmith had a really good game against a starting LT. He continues to pressure the QB and was able to get a sack. I love the growth he's show in the short time he's been a starter and gives me hope that if Dupree is finished in the 'Burgh, they have an option that looks promising.
  • The ILBs didn't look good in either run or pass defense. Not sure if they feel differently, but they didn't just fail to make positive impacts to the games, they left too many plays on the field.
  • The refs sucked. Of course that is standard for losing fans. But how many times will we see Steelers defenders breaking into the backfield and tackled from behind by the offensive linemen. And Claypool was interfered with on just about every throw his way, some of those were completely obvious. Yet the refs were keeping their laundry clean. Anyways, that crew should not be part of any playoff games.

I always learn finer, minute details reading your posts.

I think Dupree is a goner - especially with the growth of Highsmith. Just can't afford to tie that much money up in him.

The refs did suck. That was really, extremely bad. On the crucial close to last play, 2 point conversion, the interference couldn't have been more obvious. Absolutely disgraceful.

Rudolph played pretty well - probably well enough to stick around next year.

I still hope they find a way to keep Dobbs too, but is he a free agent this year? If so he might shop himself around and get a better deal. But I really like Dobbs - on the field and off. Just a really high quality, highly intelligent person, and I hope he sticks around.

Kirkland, your opinion: do they run Dobbs in a wildcat in the Cleveland game? Or is it just a tease?
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 7:36 pm

@Shalieve5090 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@Shalieve5090 wrote:
i will forever be grateful to maddox for helping end the kordell era / nightmare.

I actually had a Kordell stewart jersey when I was younger lol
my asshole brother got me a kordell jersey for christmas one year. just being an ass because he knew how much i hated kordell (as a QB)
i sold it to a friend for $5 .. Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 1797695198
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2021 3:11 am

@Shalieve5090 wrote:
@Shalieve5090 wrote:
i will forever be grateful to maddox for helping end the kordell era / nightmare.

my asshole brother got me a kordell jersey for christmas one year. just being an ass because he knew how much i hated kordell (as a QB)
i sold it to a friend for $5 .. Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 1797695198

At least you got something for it. Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 1797695198 Right now it probably wouldn't be worth that much except to Kordell himself.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2021 10:31 am

@solardave wrote:
@Shalieve5090 wrote:
@Shalieve5090 wrote:

At least you got something for it. Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 1797695198 Right now it probably wouldn't be worth that much except to Kordell himself.

I would've paid it, but I like collecting jerseys. Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 1797695198

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2021 1:52 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

I think Dupree is a goner - especially with the growth of Highsmith.  Just can't afford to tie that much money up in him.

The refs did suck.  That was really, extremely bad.  On the crucial close to last play, 2 point conversion, the interference couldn't have been more obvious.  Absolutely disgraceful.

I still hope they find a way to keep Dobbs too, but is he a free agent this year?  If so he might shop himself around and get a better deal.  But I really like Dobbs - on the field and off.  Just a really high quality, highly intelligent person, and I hope he sticks around.

Kirkland, your opinion:  do they run Dobbs in a wildcat in the Cleveland game?  Or is it just a tease?

I don't think Dobbs has a jersey on Sunday vs Cleveland. Giving him a jersey takes a jersey away from someone else. Now you might think an extra LB or D-lineman isn't a big deal, but those guys are running down the field on special teams. My guess is that we saw Dobbs in the last game as Tomlin's way of rewarding the guy for hanging around. Also, Cleveland may have to spend 10 minutes this week covering the wildcat when they normally wouldn't. I mentioned above that I just don't believe in taking Ben off the field in a competitive game just to try to be tricky. If Ben can't beat Cleveland, they aren't winning the next round anyways.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Can we start a playoff thread? Preferably with winning mojo.

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2021 5:13 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

I think Dupree is a goner - especially with the growth of Highsmith.  Just can't afford to tie that much money up in him.

The refs did suck.  That was really, extremely bad.  On the crucial close to last play, 2 point conversion, the interference couldn't have been more obvious.  Absolutely disgraceful.

I still hope they find a way to keep Dobbs too, but is he a free agent this year?  If so he might shop himself around and get a better deal.  But I really like Dobbs - on the field and off.  Just a really high quality, highly intelligent person, and I hope he sticks around.

Kirkland, your opinion:  do they run Dobbs in a wildcat in the Cleveland game?  Or is it just a tease?

I don't think Dobbs has a jersey on Sunday vs Cleveland. Giving him a jersey takes a jersey away from someone else. Now you might think an extra LB or D-lineman isn't a big deal, but those guys are running down the field on special teams. My guess is that we saw Dobbs in the last game as Tomlin's way of rewarding the guy for hanging around. Also, Cleveland may have to spend 10 minutes this week covering the wildcat when they normally wouldn't. I mentioned above that I just don't believe in taking Ben off the field in a competitive game just to try to be tricky. If Ben can't beat Cleveland, they aren't winning the next round anyways.

Tend to agree with the thinking Dobbs doesn't get a hat. It's probably unlikely for all the reasons above. Although it might be nice to change things up now and then given the offense's struggles. Another advantage I would see with Dobbs is he'd be another weapon if they have to pick up 1-2 yards. We've seen what the inability to do that has meant to this point. 4th and goal from the 1, losing by 5, 90 seconds left 4th quarter. We've seen what the other RBs have and haven't done here. They don't seem to want to sneak Ben, it's a small sample size with Dobbs but he may be the best option in that scenario.

PostSubject: Re: Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)   Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Week 17: Steelers @ Browns (free with purchase: 4 quarters of winning mojo!)
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: