Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)

Go down 
+7
solardave
kirklandrules
Master_Of_Puppets
Shalieve5090
effyou515
LambertWardSteel
jak341
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 am

Both of Cleveland starting CBS were out and there were basically only 2 mid or deep passes against the back ups... 1 pass in the entire first half...

That is 100% on Fitchner... he didn't even try to attack their back ups... that is on the guy calling plays and scheming...

Fire Fitchner elevate Canada give him a shot.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 10:29 am

l guess Tomlin needs some more of those Cowher players. Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 1797695198 there l said it

no mojo rising in last nights game.

coach: "hit her in the dick"
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 10:37 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Both of Cleveland starting CBS were out and there were basically only 2 mid or deep passes against the back ups... 1 pass in the entire first half...

That is 100% on Fitchner... he didn't even try to attack their back ups... that is on the guy calling plays and scheming...

heck fire Tomlin make Canada headcoach and hire a young innovated offensive coaching staff next year hire a young innovated defensive coaching staff.

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 1:02 pm

Warren Sharp isn't mincing words.

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 1:10 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

heck fire Tomlin make Canada headcoach and hire a young innovated offensive coaching staff next year hire a young innovated defensive coaching staff.
Tomlin's job is safe, whether you like it or not.

He will be our coach until he chooses to retire - and he's pretty young still. Might as well get used to it.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 1:46 pm

Steelers closed their facilities due to a potential covid problem. Maybe its a good thing they lost
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Breaking news. Mark Madden is reporting Pouncey is retiring. Not confirmed yet. If true, this deserves its own thread.

Edit: another source, and maybe not.

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 5:03 pm

Ugh. Not like this. 🥺

Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm

@jak341 wrote:
Ugh. Not like this. 🥺

Saw this video early, ill admit it got me. Def not the way it should've ended thats for sure. Just seems to sum up this last decade.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 1:58 pm

A few things based on some of the general comments across Steeler Nation (not necessarily here on this forum) and a few things on this thread.

There's a lot of Fitchner hate out there before and after this game. When a team loses, the coordinators are going to feel the heat. I think the coaches should be critized for that Brown's game, however, I don't think it's an Xs and Os issue. The coaches didn't have the players ready to play, so shame on them and the players should definitely share in that blame (hell, they should have been ready to go without the coaches finding a way to get them motivated to play).

Snap Quiz: Name the last Steelers OC Steelers fans didn't want fired? Answer: Chan Gailey. And even he was roasted after the Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys.

My post-playoff game opinion on Fitchner is the same as it's been since week 10. The players were not executing and, therefore, for me, I can't blame the scheme. The Steelers receivers led the NFL in dropped passes and I've pointed out several times after losses that the WRs ran several incorrect routes in those games. Then you have Ben falling apart in the 2nd half of the season and only showing sparks of greatness along the way. These combined are a disaster for any OC to find victory. Bill Walsh couldn't scheme around dropped passes, bad routes, QB slumps. Hell, Fitchner might not be any good, but his players mucked it up so bad I can't tell you he does. Fitchner doesn't throw the ball, run the routes, or catch the passes. The 5 turnovers weren't based on his scheme and it was those turnovers that were the greatest factor for the loss Sunday night.

One thing about Ben that I'll pass along. Matt Williamson made a comment on SNR the other day that after one of the regular season losses, a reporter asked why Ben didn't throw a deep pass to an open Claypool. Ben's response was that Claypool wasn't as open as he appeared. Something happened with Ben and his confidence on deep passes to the degree that the press saw an open receiver, but he didn't. Rudolph was dropping bombs the week before and Ben, against that same defense doesn't hit the long passes except in garbage time. He went from MVP candidate to one and done QB against a shit team.

Let's talk running game. I agree the O-line didn't live up to a high standard. But honestly, aside from the Bears, I'd take any other NFL team's RBs over the Steelers. Love Connor, but he lacks the most important ability of an NFL football player ... availability. He missed too much playing time and when he was available he was rusty. Benny Snell? Hell, he doesn't play Benny Snell football. That guy missed more holes and blocking assignments through the season. McFarland, I'll give him a pass since he's a lowly rookie who wasn't expected to do much and very much played like a rookie. Damn, get someone who knows how to run off a double team block, let's start there.

As for the line, yep, they underperformed in the run game blocking. I get that the runners blew too many opportunities when given a chance, but AV just didn't have a good year run blocking (and often struggled in pass protection). I thought half the issue was the lack of run attempts, because run blocking is something you have to do over and over again to be good at. But they still should have done better than we saw. Next year, they should move Feiler to LT, Dotson to LG, and Banner hopefully is at RT. Problem solved!

Let's switch to slapping the defense. First, I saw the post of Warren Sap's Twitter and would like to say he can shut his fat mouth. Darius Butler doesn't know what the hell he's talking about on his video. Don't forget that the Browns had a LB on Steelers WRs (JuJu) a handful of plays. That's just great play calls by the OC (or QBs) to get that mismatch. But Darius Butler talking about Landry covered by Spillane is nothing more than 20/20 hindsight. He's critical the Steelers aren't in man coverage ... uh, that was man coverage. But I think his point was that Spillane should have been matched up with another Browns receiver. What he fails to mention in that video is that the Browns broke the huddle at 8 seconds, which gives the defense no time to make adjustments. The Steelers call was for Spillane to cover the inside slot receiver on that side of the field. Switching who he covers would require at least him and one other player to communicate and change positions .... something that isn't going to happen in that little time. Nobody, including Keith Butler likes seeing his ILBs on WRs, but it happens all the time in just about every game. OCs work really hard to get those mismatches.

Moving on. I'd like to criticize Keith Butler for his poor schemes. Yes, I hate the above mismatches, but I get those will happen. I wasn't happy on the first Browns offensive TD seeing only 2 down linemen when they're in the redzone playing against a run heavy team. But at the end of the day, the players didn't execute all night long. Where was Heyward? Where was Tuitt? Where was Alualu? The Browns averaged almost 4.8 yards per carry (not counting Mayfield's runs). Shouldn't we have seen more D-linemen making tackles? Ok, Tuitt had 6. Alualu had 3 and Heyward had 1. Wait, I must have hit the wrong key ... let me do that again: Heyward had 1. Maurkice Pouncey had 2 tackles and he doesn't play defense. The D-line got owned by a bunch of backups without their two line coaches being at the game. No

The Steelers found out how things are without Bush and Dupree. I think Highsmith will be an excellent OLB for this team, but he wasn't anywhere near Dupree's level of play.

Players and coaches are all to blame for the shit show we witnessed. My point here is that I can't blame the scheme (the Xs and Os) when the players so miserably failed to execute. Fire those coordinators because they aren't putting the team in a position to win. But at 8-0 and 9-0, the offense and defense were doing really well. The players failed their coaches. 5-0 in the turnover ratio says it all.

Did I already mention the part about Warren Sapp shutting his fat mouth?
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 2:19 pm

The first thing I thought when I saw the Warren Sapp message was - What the hell is he doing talking about it, and why should anyone listen to this dumbass?

Kirkland - I observed - at least I think this is what I saw - numerous times, backs hitting different holes than where the blocked tended to be. For instance - a TE pulls, or a guard pulls, to the left and the back runs up the middle?

My next thought - I think Ben is done. Whether he retires or not, I think his best days are behind him and he should be done. Same for Pouncey. I think if Ben stays, that $41M cap hit will cripple us for years to come, losing some top young players we could have held on to.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 2:49 pm

^ Warren Sharp, not Warren Sapp. I got confused too.

Sapp: HoF former player.
Sharp: NFL reporter.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm

@jak341 wrote:
^ Warren Sharp, not Warren Sapp. I got confused too.

Sapp: HoF former player.
Sharp: NFL reporter.

I missed that too. Well, Warren Sharp has no skin in the game and should butt out.

Kirkland on this thread knows more football in his pinkie finger than this poser.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 4:36 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
A few things based on some of the general comments across Steeler Nation (not necessarily here on this forum) and a few things on this thread.

There's a lot of Fitchner hate out there before and after this game. When a team loses, the coordinators are going to feel the heat. I think the coaches should be critized for that Brown's game, however, I don't think it's an Xs and Os issue. The coaches didn't have the players ready to play, so shame on them and the players should definitely share in that blame (hell, they should have been ready to go without the coaches finding a way to get them motivated to play).

Snap Quiz: Name the last Steelers OC Steelers fans didn't want fired? Answer: Chan Gailey. And even he was roasted after the Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys.

My post-playoff game opinion on Fitchner is the same as it's been since week 10. The players were not executing and, therefore, for me, I can't blame the scheme. The Steelers receivers led the NFL in dropped passes and I've pointed out several times after losses that the WRs ran several incorrect routes in those games. Then you have Ben falling apart in the 2nd half of the season and only showing sparks of greatness along the way. These combined are a disaster for any OC to find victory. Bill Walsh couldn't scheme around dropped passes, bad routes, QB slumps. Hell, Fitchner might not be any good, but his players mucked it up so bad I can't tell you he does. Fitchner doesn't throw the ball, run the routes, or catch the passes. The 5 turnovers weren't based on his scheme and it was those turnovers that were the greatest factor for the loss Sunday night.

One thing about Ben that I'll pass along. Matt Williamson made a comment on SNR the other day that after one of the regular season losses, a reporter asked why Ben didn't throw a deep pass to an open Claypool. Ben's response was that Claypool wasn't as open as he appeared. Something happened with Ben and his confidence on deep passes to the degree that the press saw an open receiver, but he didn't. Rudolph was dropping bombs the week before and Ben, against that same defense doesn't hit the long passes except in garbage time. He went from MVP candidate to one and done QB against a shit team.

Let's talk running game. I agree the O-line didn't live up to a high standard. But honestly, aside from the Bears, I'd take any other NFL team's RBs over the Steelers. Love Connor, but he lacks the most important ability of an NFL football player ... availability. He missed too much playing time and when he was available he was rusty. Benny Snell? Hell, he doesn't play Benny Snell football. That guy missed more holes and blocking assignments through the season. McFarland, I'll give him a pass since he's a lowly rookie who wasn't expected to do much and very much played like a rookie. Damn, get someone who knows how to run off a double team block, let's start there.

As for the line, yep, they underperformed in the run game blocking. I get that the runners blew too many opportunities when given a chance, but AV just didn't have a good year run blocking (and often struggled in pass protection). I thought half the issue was the lack of run attempts, because run blocking is something you have to do over and over again to be good at. But they still should have done better than we saw. Next year, they should move Feiler to LT, Dotson to LG, and Banner hopefully is at RT. Problem solved!

Let's switch to slapping the defense. First, I saw the post of Warren Sap's Twitter and would like to say he can shut his fat mouth. Darius Butler doesn't know what the hell he's talking about on his video. Don't forget that the Browns had a LB on Steelers WRs (JuJu) a handful of plays. That's just great play calls by the OC (or QBs) to get that mismatch. But Darius Butler talking about Landry covered by Spillane is nothing more than 20/20 hindsight. He's critical the Steelers aren't in man coverage ... uh, that was man coverage. But I think his point was that Spillane should have been matched up with another Browns receiver. What he fails to mention in that video is that the Browns broke the huddle at 8 seconds, which gives the defense no time to make adjustments. The Steelers call was for Spillane to cover the inside slot receiver on that side of the field. Switching who he covers would require at least him and one other player to communicate and change positions .... something that isn't going to happen in that little time. Nobody, including Keith Butler likes seeing his ILBs on WRs, but it happens all the time in just about every game. OCs work really hard to get those mismatches.

Moving on. I'd like to criticize Keith Butler for his poor schemes. Yes, I hate the above mismatches, but I get those will happen. I wasn't happy on the first Browns offensive TD seeing only 2 down linemen when they're in the redzone playing against a run heavy team. But at the end of the day, the players didn't execute all night long. Where was Heyward? Where was Tuitt? Where was Alualu? The Browns averaged almost 4.8 yards per carry (not counting Mayfield's runs). Shouldn't we have seen more D-linemen making tackles? Ok, Tuitt had 6. Alualu had 3 and Heyward had 1. Wait, I must have hit the wrong key ... let me do that again: Heyward had 1. Maurkice Pouncey had 2 tackles and he doesn't play defense. The D-line got owned by a bunch of backups without their two line coaches being at the game. No

The Steelers found out how things are without Bush and Dupree. I think Highsmith will be an excellent OLB for this team, but he wasn't anywhere near Dupree's level of play.

Players and coaches are all to blame for the shit show we witnessed. My point here is that I can't blame the scheme (the Xs and Os) when the players so miserably failed to execute. Fire those coordinators because they aren't putting the team in a position to win. But at 8-0 and 9-0, the offense and defense were doing really well. The players failed their coaches. 5-0 in the turnover ratio says it all.

if the coaching staff can't teach the players how to play the game correctly then they need to be shown the door. l've seen the RBs not following blacks not picking up blitzers free defender coming, l'm thinking receivers have given up on Ben as the season went on, l like the offensive system l think it's a QB friendly system, read that Tomlin been calling most of the defenses the last 2 years, why is Butler still around? imho let Ben walk and a lot of these offensive problem should go away imho Mason would work well in the offensive system the Steelers are running.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 4:44 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
The first thing I thought when I saw the Warren Sapp message was - What the hell is he doing talking about it, and why should anyone listen to this dumbass?
He's funny and entertaining, but can be a Steelers hater for sure.

@Great Randino wrote:
Kirkland - I observed - at least I think this is what I saw - numerous times, backs hitting different holes than where the blocked tended to be.  For instance - a TE pulls, or a guard pulls, to the left and the back runs up the middle?
There are plays where a TE or even a guard pulls and yet the back will hit a spot in the middle of the line. Usually that play is attempting to take advantage of an ILB over-pursing based on seeing the pulling player. So it opens the middle because the defenders are trying to get to the outside where the blockers are. It's effective in short yardage. That particular type of play either follows or can be followed by a play with the exact same pulling motion with the back following the pulling blocker.

But there were plenty of plays where a blocker was pushing his man in a direction and the RB (usually Snell) went into the direction of the block and was immediately tackled by that defender. RBs are taught at a very young age to run off the blockers ass, meaning you are running off his butt and not his helmet. How NFL RBs are not following the blocking is beyond me. I get if a blocker isn't pointed in a particular direction and struggling with a defender. But that's not always the case.

@Great Randino wrote:
My next thought - I think Ben is done.  Whether he retires or not, I think his best days are behind him and he should be done.  Same for Pouncey.  I think if Ben stays, that $41M cap hit will cripple us for years to come, losing some top young players we could have held on to. Thoughts?
I'm not sure what the issue with Ben is. Steelers fans have been so lucky to have that guy. His inability and reluctance to throw the long ball is concerning. Honestly, I'd love to see him come back determined to make it right, especially if people think his replacement isn't currently on the roster. I'm more of a believer in Rudolph than most, but I'm admittedly biased. I watched him play in high school and thought he was the best high school QB I've personally watched (Sam Howell from UNC has since hit that same level of play ... that kid is the real deal and would love to see him in a Steelers uniform). And I then tried to follow most of his college games that were televised in my area. He's good and I was excited to see him play fairly well last week when last year's reigns were obviously removed. Here's an interesting tidbit on Rudolph: In high school he ran an offense that hit the quick passes, then strikes deep when the defense sneaks up ... sound familiar?

I'm not a cap expert, but I think the Steelers are on the hook for half the cap hit if they either release the player or the player leaves. So $20.5M cap hit without Ben on the staff isn't too exciting either. Not sure how restructuring affects the cap. Like restructuring his contract to pay $20M for 2021 and $20M in 2022. If he retires after 2021, then they're on the hook for $10M? This is all a guess on my part, but I suspect if Ben does stay they try to restructure to reduce the hit in 2021 without a major hit in 2022 if he's retired at that point.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 5:14 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

if the coaching staff can't teach the players how to play the game correctly then they need to be shown the door. l've seen the RBs not following blacks not picking up blitzers free defender coming, l'm thinking receivers have given up on Ben as the season went on, l like the offensive system l think it's a QB friendly system, read that Tomlin been calling most of the defenses the last 2 years, why is Butler still around? imho let Ben walk and a lot of these offensive problem should go away imho Mason would work well in the offensive system the Steelers are running.

I think Ben struggled not to give up on his receivers. Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 1797695198

I agree that if the coaches can't teach, the should be shown the door. Maybe the RB coach, Eddie Faulkner goes, although I do think the talent level he had was sub-par (aside from Connor who seemed to be off the field more than on it). Ike Hilliard should go because these very, very talented WRs led the league in dropped passes and if they tracked these things, also led the league in running the wrong routes. Loved Hilliard as a player and thought his personality would make for a really good coach. Fitchner getting canned ... now I just don't know because I don't think the failures were a scheme issue. Butler? I don't think Tomlin is coaching as much on the defensive side as being made out. The secondary isn't as bad as it's been years ago (good work by Tom Bradley there) and those LBs helped the Steelers lead the league in sacks and QB hits. IDK, I think Butler's doing a decent job. Losing Bush was a huge blow as the defense was built to have a fast, athletic ILB ... and don't discount his audibles based on his knowledge. I think he gets very little credit for how good he is at making calls based on what he's seeing.

Look, things will change, which is common when a team doesn't win a Super Bowl and often enough when they do. Fitchner might get canned and/or Butler. That's fine with me because Tomlin and the Steelers leadership have a better view on how those guys did their jobs. Everything I've posted about these guys is just my opinion, which is based on what I've seen from my couch Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 2087824411
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 6:08 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

I think Ben struggled not to give up on his receivers. Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 1797695198

I agree that if the coaches can't teach, the should be shown the door. Maybe the RB coach, Eddie Faulkner goes, although I do think the talent level he had was sub-par (aside from Connor who seemed to be off the field more than on it). Ike Hilliard should go because these very, very talented WRs led the league in dropped passes and if they tracked these things, also led the league in running the wrong routes. Loved Hilliard as a player and thought his personality would make for a really good coach. Fitchner getting canned ... now I just don't know because I don't think the failures were a scheme issue. Butler? I don't think Tomlin is coaching as much on the defensive side as being made out. The secondary isn't as bad as it's been years ago (good work by Tom Bradley there) and those LBs helped the Steelers lead the league in sacks and QB hits. IDK, I think Butler's doing a decent job. Losing Bush was a huge blow as the defense was built to have a fast, athletic ILB ... and don't discount his audibles based on his knowledge. I think he gets very little credit for how good he is at making calls based on what he's seeing.

Look, things will change, which is common when a team doesn't win a Super Bowl and often enough when they do. Fitchner might get canned and/or Butler. That's fine with me because Tomlin and the Steelers leadership have a better view on how those guys did their jobs. Everything I've posted about these guys is just my opinion, which is based on what I've seen from my couch Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 2087824411

do you consider play calling as part of the scheme ? coaches coach and players play..i agree with that. fichtner is not dropping balls, throwing picks and whiffing blocks. but when i see shit like the video below or ben throwing the ball one yard past the line of scrimmage on a 3rd and 4 to a receiver that already has a defender hanging on his back for a 2 yard gain , it is just maddening. that shit happened all season long. i get the offense was designed for YAC. but on many of those third downs it was obvious before the ball left Ben's hands the YAC was not going to produce the yards needed for the 1st down. i would think the coach would stress to the receivers and QB to run the routes AND THROW THE BALL past the sticks. Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 294855916

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

do you consider play calling as part of the scheme ? coaches coach and players play..i agree with that. fichtner is not dropping balls, throwing picks and whiffing blocks. but when i see shit like the video below or ben throwing the ball one yard past the line of scrimmage on a 3rd and 4 to a receiver that already has a defender hanging on his back for a 2 yard gain , it is just maddening. that shit happened all season long. i get the offense was designed for YAC. but on many of those third downs it was obvious before the ball left Ben's hands the YAC was not going to produce the yards needed for the 1st down. i would think the coach would stress to the receivers and QB to run the routes AND THROW THE BALL past the sticks.  Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 294855916

I disagree with the analysis of this video. The play is an excellent play against that defensive alignment. Both of those plays run off a double team block, which is a good thing when needing 1 yard. Pouncey got his ass blown up. Execution screwed the situation, not the play called. Pouncey wins his assignment in the first play, but loses so bad it prevents the play from gaining the 1 yard in the 2nd play. If you watch that 2nd play again, notice the surge from the right side of the line ... they drive the Browns defenders backwards (which is something everyone was saying the O-line couldn't do). Hell, Pouncey doesn't have to really win his assignment on either play, but he can't be pushed into the backfield.

We can go over a bunch of plays from that game and watch the Steelers get their asses whipped. Again, no amount of coaching can scheme around players that fail to execute.

I agree that it sucks seeing plays that ultimately look like they have no chance to succeed right off the snap. Some of those plays might be check-downs where the first option is covered. I get that being down 28 points, you can't afford to throw to a receiver who has no chance to convert. However, it doesn't help if you throw INT #5 in those situations either.

If Ben doesn't like a play, he can change it. He's not getting dumped because he audibles out of a call that isn't going to work. I'm sure there's plays that Ben is wondering what the hell his OC is calling. Brady is known to throw a shit fit when he disagrees with is OC. Montana and Walsh had their spats when Montana disagreed with his coach's play calls.

Watch the games in the first half of the season. Was every drive perfect? No. Did they give a beat-down to every sub-par team? No. But when they really needed to score to win the game, they pulled through. Honestly, I can't say why the QB slumped at the end of the season and why the receivers had a rash of drops and lack of understanding of the routes. It wasn't the scheme or the defenses figuring out how to stop the Steelers offense that started the slide. It was failure on the part of the players that changed and resulted in losing. Week 10 against the Ravens, even though it was a win, was the game where things were going wrong. Ben looked off and the receivers were underperforming.

Having said all that, MOP, there were plenty of plays I didn't like, but 90% of that dislike came after the play started. Calling an offensive play before seeing what the defensive alignment is or where those defenders move to after the ball is snapped isn't easy. Same goes for the defensive play calls. Hence, the benefits of having outstanding QBs and ILBs who can audible to something better if they see failure coming. Again, Fitchner and Butler could get canned if Tomlin feels they need a change to get better. Something needs to change to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs next year. I'm just calling poor execution where I see it.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 11:09 am

you know it's getting cereal when MOP breaks out the video or pictures with lines arrows diagrams and a couple of paragraphs. Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 1797695198

pouncey got blown up on the second play, embarrassing? yes it was embarrassing about as embarrassing snapping the ball two feet over ben's head. Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 3798349058

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)   Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wildcard Weekend - Browns @ Steelers (We got mojo, yes we do. We got mojo, how 'bout you?)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: