Steelers Xtreme Forum

Homewith the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2021 11:08 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:

Oh, I agree this guy is good and might turn out better than Hargrave. He does have some refinement he needs to do to be good in the NFL, so don't think he's a plug and play guy yet (note the competition on several of the clips in his highlight ... Georgia State, Western Carolina). Hell, Hargrave was pretty good at pass rushing too. But in multiple receiver sets, the Steelers often employ 6 DBs. That leaves 3 LBs and 2 DLs (2-3-5). Or they go with 4 LBs (2-4-5). Or they use a 3-3-5 set, but need a Bush at ILB to pull that off. The question is, how often are the Steelers in a 3 D-lineman set vs a 2 D-lineman set and is it worth a high draft pick to get a NT?

If they miss out on this McNeil kid, I also like Tedarrell Slaton, Florida, as a high potential kid. He's probably there closer to the 4th round. He's huge, but plays fast for a guy his size (6'5"; 358lbs). Watch how low he stays in most situations. He'll have to refine his technique if he wants to stay on the field on 3rd downs. If the Steelers take him, they should have him lose 20lbs of chunk. I just hope he's not picked up by another AFC North team. Check out 2:50 of the clip and what he does to the Mizz U guard, that's good stuff!

good lord...look at those workout numbers.
actually what i am getting at is he wouldn't have to be used exclusively as a zero technigue NT. plus given alualu's age , and he sure looked to me to be a lot less effect as a run stopper as the season went on , i think we need some fresh blood on the line.

Quote :
Though his stats were actually down from the previous season as a sophomore (28 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks), McNeill was nearly perfect as a run defender. The 6-foot-2, 320-pounder did not miss a single tackle across the middle, finishing with 11 tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage and finished with an average of -1.3 yards per tackle.
McNeil played 87% of his total snaps at heads-up nose tackle this year, making his production nothing short of incredible. Only one player since 2014 has produced a higher PFF grade at 0-technique than McNeil’s 90.5 this season (former Mississippi State Bulldog and current Tennessee Titan Jeffery Simmons in 2017).

McNeil won 10% of his pass-rush snaps at nose tackle, an impressive figure in its own right, but the reason for his success is all due to his run defense. He was a constant disruptor and fully deserved the 92.1 run-defense grade on the year.

Quote :
McNeill caught my eye during summer scouting when studying the Wolfpack defense. What first stands out is the enthusiasm, urgency, and effort he plays with on every snap. For a 320-pound defensive lineman, he showcases terrific quickness, lateral mobility, and pursuit effort. NC State plays him primarily at nose tackle but he’s given opportunities to shoot gaps, penetrate the line of scrimmage, and work into the backfield where he is slippery through gaps and can be disruptive.

McNeill is extremely powerful and stout at the point of attack. He’s tough for offensive lineman to move out of his alignment and he’s shown the ability to defend multiple gaps.

Earning a spot on Bruce Feldman’s 2020 college football freaks list, McNeill’s power is evidenced in the weight room. According to Feldman, McNeill benches 445 pounds, squats 640, and has a vertical leap of 32 inches. Feldman also projects McNeill to clock a 40-yard dash in the 4.90-second range at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Considering McNeill has only played on the defensive line for three seasons, it’s exciting to forecast the growth that is still yet to come for him. In high school, McNeill was an inside linebacker and short-yardage running back that produced 40 career touchdowns. There is still some rawness to his game when it comes to processing blocks and technique which should continue to improve as he develops more familiarity in the trenches.

McNeill’s film resume, physical traits, and versatility make him an appealing prospect in any draft, and the underwhelming crop of defensive tackles in the 2021 NFL Draft could help push him up the board. McNeill has been a bright spot and he deserves more attention as the scouting process continues to unfold.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

good lord...look at those workout numbers.
actually what i am getting at is he wouldn't have to be used exclusively as a zero technigue NT. plus given alualu's age , and he sure looked to me to be a lot less effect as a run stopper as the season went on , i think we need some fresh blood on the line.

You and I agree, McNeil is good. He needs to work on staying low, but does a lot of things well. The only thing he can't change is his size. Once you get out to the DE position, most teams like taller players to block the QBs view as well as knock down passes. He's less of a project than Slaton.

I also agree that he might not be there in the 3rd, when the Steelers pick. So, is he worth a 2nd round pick ... for the Steelers? Most agree O-line requires a high draft pick. Some want a QB (I'm not there unless the Steelers think their next franchise guy falls in their lap). I'd love to see a quality RB (Harris, Sermon, Etienne) and disagree with the Steelers feeling the money spent on those guys doesn't always provide the value (at least the rookie contract). A position I think they need to spend high to get an immediate impact player is ILB. I like Spillane's grit and he does get a bunch of tackles, but too many are 5+ yards and not enough at the line of scrimmage. One more solid player to place next to Bush could change this defense dramatically. The Browns doubled Heyward knowing the ILBs wouldn't make the plays on running downs and it worked to the tune of almost 5 yards a carry by the RBs. They also could use another CB and haven't done well with late round draft picks at that position. I'm not sure McNeil is quite the transformational player that you want out of a 1st or 2nd round pick. If he falls to the 3rd, that would be excellent value.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 2:01 pm

Considering their struggles to draft DB's, perhaps they should look elsewhere...but the salary cap is going to make it tough.

I don't think Mac Jones will be much better than his cousin (?) Landry in the pros (sarcasm font). He was just surrounded by an enormously talented team. His mobility would certainly be a concern.

Do you think the Steelers will see it the same way you do, or will they think Spillane is good enough?

There are going to be a lot of holes to fill. Some of them will simply be weaknesses next year.

Ben's hit on the salary cap will destroy us next year and hurt us for years to come, with the young talent we lose as a result.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 9:07 pm

CBS thinks we're moving up. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-panthers-trade-up-for-qbs-as-five-go-off-the-board-in-first-10-picks/
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 9:47 pm

Steelers need to possibly switch to a 4-3 team. As defense does win the game. Need a DT down the line in the long run.

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 12:00 am

@jak341 wrote:
CBS thinks we're moving up. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-panthers-trade-up-for-qbs-as-five-go-off-the-board-in-first-10-picks/

I'd never heard of him until this.

Looks like he's mobile, which would be a prerequisite. Can make bad tacklers miss. Can throw a bomb. The video didn't show a lot of tight window passes though. I do like the low - uh, no - interception ratio.

Too many QB draws. I don't like a ton of those, even with a mobile guy.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 2:18 am

Some mocks have us trading up to get QB Trey Lance of NDSU.

Some people seem to be high on the kid while others aren't. I have watched some of his highlight stuff and honestly kid looks pretty good. Throws a pretty deep ball, is athletic, keeps his eyes down the field, and he's actually played under center and had quite a bit of success throwing the ball from under center.

I also like the fact that he hasn't played much this past season, and while that may be a drawback from an experience standpoint, he won't have the wear on him that other players have. I guess I'm just saying I wouldn't mind if the Steelers really covet him and think he can play if they did move up to snag him.

That being said, I would still rather they draft to bolster this offensive line first and foremost. If the goal is Super Bowl right now that's more of an immediate need.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 2:20 am

@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

Looks like he's mobile, which would be a prerequisite.   Can make bad tacklers miss.  Can throw a bomb.  The video didn't show a lot of tight window passes though.  I do like the low - uh, no - interception ratio.  

Too many QB draws.  I don't like a ton of those, even with a mobile guy.
i would not be happy with that scenerio. like it or not this team is in a rebuild. giving up draft picks does not help you rebuild. we have a qb, 3 olinemen , a linebacker , DT, and a cornerback all over 30 years old , big cap hits and on the downside of their careers . likely to lose a starting RB , WR ,and several key situational backups. how in the hell will just a qb fix all that ?

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 6:31 am

@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

Looks like he's mobile, which would be a prerequisite.   Can make bad tacklers miss.  Can throw a bomb.  The video didn't show a lot of tight window passes though.  I do like the low - uh, no - interception ratio.  

i would not be happy with that scenerio. like it or not this team is in a rebuild. giving up draft picks does not help you rebuild. we have a qb, 3 olinemen , a linebacker , DT, and a cornerback all over 30 years old , big cap hits and on the downside of their careers . likely to lose a starting RB , WR ,and several key situational backups. how in the hell will just a qb fix all that ?

I agree and believe our priority should be on the O-line. I also think an ILB to compliment Bush is needed more than a NT. We shouldn't be trading up unless it's in the later rounds for maybe a stud RB or OG/C who may fall.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 10:11 am

@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

I agree and believe our priority should be on the O-line. I also think an ILB to compliment Bush is needed more than a NT. We shouldn't be trading up unless it's in the later rounds for maybe a stud RB or OG/C  who may fall.
my reasoning for DL so early is because the pickins are slim. i don't wanna see them waste a 4th round pick and a roster spot on another dan McCullers.  it doesn't look like there is really any first round true centers or guards in this class. tackles like rashawn slater and Alijah Vera-Tucker are being projected as first round guards. i still think if the opportunity present itself to trade back to the top 1/3 of the second for an extra second and third presents itself , that would be the smart move. i believe the best values are in those 2 rounds. quantity over quality is a good thing when your needs are many.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 11:09 am

@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

I agree and believe our priority should be on the O-line. I also think an ILB to compliment Bush is needed more than a NT. We shouldn't be trading up unless it's in the later rounds for maybe a stud RB or OG/C  who may fall.

I love these diamond-in-the-rough stories. And maybe this kid is the real deal. He's a raw QB who played against lower level competition and has very little starter experience ... to MOP's point, I wouldn't mortgage the ranch on that gamble. Honestly, my advice to this kid would be to go back for one more year or even head to a big time school. He could be a top 5 pick next year if he is for real. How many times have we seen teams spend a high 1st round pick on a QB that hasn't really proven himself and doesn't live up to the expectations in the NFL?

Now if you said 2nd round pick, maybe. But #10, I'd rather go Trask, who probably is better than the situation allowed him to be.

If Ben hangs it up, I would give Rudolph a shot while building the O-line and getting other pieces in place. If he isn't starter material, go shopping next year. In the meantime, the Steelers can address salary cap issues, start to rebuild, and see if Rudolph is the longer term solution or just buying time for the team. But the Steelers don't care about my opinion and aren't paying me to play keyboard GM with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 798776511
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 1:15 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

I love these diamond-in-the-rough stories. And maybe this kid is the real deal. He's a raw QB who played against lower level competition and has very little starter experience ... to MOP's point, I wouldn't mortgage the ranch on that gamble. Honestly, my advice to this kid would be to go back for one more year or even head to a big time school. He could be a top 5 pick next year if he is for real. How many times have we seen teams spend a high 1st round pick on a QB that hasn't really proven himself and doesn't live up to the expectations in the NFL?

Now if you said 2nd round pick, maybe. But #10, I'd rather go Trask, who probably is better than the situation allowed him to be.

If Ben hangs it up, I would give Rudolph a shot while building the O-line and getting other pieces in place. If he isn't starter material, go shopping next year. In the meantime, the Steelers can address salary cap issues, start to rebuild, and see if Rudolph is the longer term solution or just buying time for the team. But the Steelers don't care about my opinion and aren't paying me to play keyboard GM with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 798776511

i agree on all points. get the cap under control. they are not going to be any better of team next year than they were this year. they need to step back and regroup for 2022. they'll have a better draft position in 2022. maybe make a move for a QB then. have you noticed college QB's are shrinking again ? the days of 6'5" qbs seem to be ending after this year. with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2829330259 they all look like baker mayfield size now.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 1:45 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

i agree on all points. get the cap under control. they are not going to be any better of team next year than they were this year. they need to step back and regroup for 2022. they'll have a better draft position in 2022. maybe make a move for a QB then. have you noticed college QB's are shrinking again ? the days of 6'5" qbs seem to be ending after this year. with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2829330259 they all look like baker mayfield size now.

I also agree with this. 2021 could be a "lost" season, not unlike last year.

Last edited by jak341 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 1:54 pm

It really feels like building with a lot of picks - rebuilding line, possibly a NT, possibly an ILB - things like that are the way to go. I agree about 2021, with all we are losing, it makes sense to get the cap under control and build for the future.

And give Rudolph a chance if Ben retires. I'm not sold on him, but he's probably earned a shot (and he looked pretty good in the Cleveland game while surrounded by mostly backups).

If he's not the answer, 2021 will be even more painful, and we'll pick high in the following draft.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 3:28 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
It really feels like building with a lot of picks - rebuilding line, possibly a NT, possibly an ILB - things like that are the way to go.  I agree about 2021, with all we are losing, it makes sense to get the cap under control and build for the future.

And give Rudolph a chance if Ben retires.  I'm not sold on him, but he's probably earned a shot (and he looked pretty good in the Cleveland game while surrounded by mostly backups).

If he's not the answer, 2021 will be even more painful, and we'll pick high in the following draft.

I think the Steelers need to do some rebuilding, but I refuse to think they can't compete. Bush will be back and his loss was huge for the defense. Highsmith will be better. Not sure how much of a slip they will have going from Hilton to Sutton (which is how I think that plays out)? Might lose Haden as a salary cap casualty. Connor, although was good, wasn't available enough to really matter. JuJu wasn't the clear #1 WR and I think improvement by Johnson and Claypool will more than make up for his departure. Dotson at left guard won't be a step back ... if they can land Feiler even better. But Banner will be back and should help offset AV. Then 1 draft pick who can contribute this year and really win if they get 2 to contribute.

Every with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 damned with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 year with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 I with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 believe with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 the with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 Steelers with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 will with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 win with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 it with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 all!!!!!! with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 9:11 pm

LOL at your graphic down there!

I think if Rudolph resorts to suckville like last year (if Ben leaves of course), we will lose a lot of games. Maybe he will perform more like this year though? But I don't put a lot of stock into just one game.

Again though, that's IF Ben leaves. If Ben doesn't leave...

we could see an historic over the hill veteran collapse that will be really ugly. And we could be worse off than if Rudolph played.

The defense will be very good again, I believe. But they can't carry this team by themselves. They at least need the O to pick up a first down now and then.

There's a lot of "We'll See" in this.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 10:48 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
It really feels like building with a lot of picks - rebuilding line, possibly a NT, possibly an ILB - things like that are the way to go.  I agree about 2021, with all we are losing, it makes sense to get the cap under control and build for the future.

And give Rudolph a chance if Ben retires.  I'm not sold on him, but he's probably earned a shot (and he looked pretty good in the Cleveland game while surrounded by mostly backups).

I think the Steelers need to do some rebuilding, but I refuse to think they can't compete. Bush will be back and his loss was huge for the defense. Highsmith will be better. Not sure how much of a slip they will have going from Hilton to Sutton (which is how I think that plays out)? Might lose Haden as a salary cap casualty. Connor, although was good, wasn't available enough to really matter. JuJu wasn't the clear #1 WR and I think improvement by Johnson and Claypool will more than make up for his departure. Dotson at left guard won't be a step back ... if they can land Feiler even better. But Banner will be back and should help offset AV. Then 1 draft pick who can contribute this year and really win if they get 2 to contribute.

Every with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 damned with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 year with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 I with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 believe with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 the with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 Steelers with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 will with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 win with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 it with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526 all!!!!!! with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2913999526

with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 1797695198 i admire your optimism , but this was not even a good team this year. sure they have some talent and promising young players. i also think there was a lot of coaching fails this year . i'll also say that the players made the coaches look bad at times and the coaches made the players look bad at times. it was a perfect marriage for the final stretch shit show we witnessed.
the only difference i saw between the 11-0 steelers to start the season and the 1-5 steelers that ended the season was who made more mistakes. turnovers and penalties. the opponents helped the steelers beat them. once the opponents stopped helping them the real steelers were exposed.
the steelers identity since the 70's was playing hard nose , punch you in the face, physical football. they have completely lost that identity. i dont see them getting it back in one off season with what they are up against.
they went all in for Ben's last hurrah, and it didn't pay off. now its time to pay the piper.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:

with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 1797695198  i admire your optimism , but this was not even a good team this year. sure they have some talent and promising young players. i also think there was a lot of coaching fails this year . i'll also say that the players made the coaches look bad at times and the coaches made the players look bad at times. it was a perfect marriage for the final stretch shit show we witnessed.
the only difference i saw between the 11-0 steelers to start the season and the 1-5 steelers that ended the season was who made more mistakes. turnovers and penalties. the opponents helped the steelers beat them. once the opponents stopped helping them the real steelers were exposed.
the steelers identity since the 70's was playing hard nose , punch you in the face,  physical football. they have completely lost that identity. i dont see them getting it back in one off season with what they are up against.
they went all in for Ben's last hurrah, and it didn't pay off. now its time to pay the piper.

Agree about the turnover ratio and how it totally changed once the streak ended. The defense carries responsibility in the takeaway portion of that ratio and the loss of Bush (then Spillane and Williams for a few games) and Dupree didn't help in all that. And there were turnover opportunities the Steelers didn't capitalize on (missed INTs, fumbles not recovered, etc).

However, I would say that the offense is more to blame and not just the number of turnovers they had (which was a lot). It was the large number of 3-and-outs they had during that run. Teams won't turn over the ball if you don't pressure them. Getting the ball at their 30 or better on a large number of drives doesn't add pressure. Also, during that bad stretch, the Steelers trailed a majority of the time. Again, no pressure on an opposing offense to make mistakes. In the playoff game, the Browns did nothing the Steelers should have been surprised about. The difference is they held a large lead and could do just about anything that didn't create risk (even the Browns couldn't f&$k up that lead).

Where I blame the coaches is the preparedness of the team to play. I don't know how they failed in that regard, but they did. It started in week 10 against the Ravens (maybe a little against the Cowboys). But that game and every one after, the Steelers never came out looking like they were ready. Yes, they had a big come-from-behind against the Colts, but they looked like crap starting that game. Ben was a big factor. Most of those games Ben played very poorly in the 1st halves. Tomlin needs to be solely responsible. This year I pointed out Ben and the receivers as turning to junk. One could point to the various causes/detail for those failures. But when you step back and look at Tomlin's total resume to-date,  there are too many losses to really bad teams and late season collapses that result in missing the playoffs or one-and-done appearances. Trends are telling and Tomlin needs to own it, identify the root cause of the preparedness issues that occur every season, fix it, and learn how to win when it matters.

And I agree with you MOP, the swagger of this team seems gone, especially when they lose. In games the Steelers lose, not just this year, they don't have that "tougher-than-you" attitude. I don't think it has to take several seasons to get that attitude back, it's an attitude and they need to ask themselves if they will have it or not.

Master_Of_Puppets and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2021 11:13 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:

with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 1797695198  i admire your optimism , but this was not even a good team this year. sure they have some talent and promising young players. i also think there was a lot of coaching fails this year . i'll also say that the players made the coaches look bad at times and the coaches made the players look bad at times. it was a perfect marriage for the final stretch shit show we witnessed.
the steelers identity since the 70's was playing hard nose , punch you in the face,  physical football. they have completely lost that identity. i dont see them getting it back in one off season with what they are up against.

Agree about the turnover ratio and how it totally changed once the streak ended. The defense carries responsibility in the takeaway portion of that ratio and the loss of Bush (then Spillane and Williams for a few games) and Dupree didn't help in all that. And there were turnover opportunities the Steelers didn't capitalize on (missed INTs, fumbles not recovered, etc).

However, I would say that the offense is more to blame and not just the number of turnovers they had (which was a lot). It was the large number of 3-and-outs they had during that run. Teams won't turn over the ball if you don't pressure them. Getting the ball at their 30 or better on a large number of drives doesn't add pressure. Also, during that bad stretch, the Steelers trailed a majority of the time. Again, no pressure on an opposing offense to make mistakes. In the playoff game, the Browns did nothing the Steelers should have been surprised about. The difference is they held a large lead and could do just about anything that didn't create risk (even the Browns couldn't f&$k up that lead).

Where I blame the coaches is the preparedness of the team to play. I don't know how they failed in that regard, but they did. It started in week 10 against the Ravens (maybe a little against the Cowboys). But that game and every one after, the Steelers never came out looking like they were ready. Yes, they had a big come-from-behind against the Colts, but they looked like crap starting that game. Ben was a big factor. Most of those games Ben played very poorly in the 1st halves. Tomlin needs to be solely responsible. This year I pointed out Ben and the receivers as turning to junk. One could point to the various causes/detail for those failures. But when you step back and look at Tomlin's total resume to-date,  there are too many losses to really bad teams and late season collapses that result in missing the playoffs or one-and-done appearances. Trends are telling and Tomlin needs to own it, identify the root cause of the preparedness issues that occur every season, fix it, and learn how to win when it matters.

And I agree with you MOP, the swagger of this team seems gone, especially when they lose. In games the Steelers lose, not just this year, they don't have that "tougher-than-you" attitude. I don't think it has to take several seasons to get that attitude back, it's an attitude and they need to ask themselves if they will have it or not.
i agree with everything you said except the identity part. the offense put the defense in shitty situations and injuries not only lowered the talent level on the field but disrupted continuity. but the swagger and attitude they lack isn't just a reflection of coaching style, it comes from individual players. we need players with that mean streak. most of our younger guys are a bunch of tik tok dancing narcissist, not the kickin ass taking names all business guys we grew used to. what im saying is we dont have enough of those type of guys with that mentality on the team to change the locker room. we need more TJ watt attitudes on the team instead of JUJU's. if i were the coach /GM when i'm doing draft prospect evaluations , watching film i wanna see how they respond AFTER the play. if im ranking 2 guys close in talent , how they act after making a play should be a big factor on my draft board. the bigger the attention whore, the lower they go on my board.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2021 5:48 am

I believe this next draft is as important to us as ever. The FO needs to nail this and I agree we need some players who are just plain nasty. Not dirty but nasty. Last year even though our D with key players missing was still good but no one feared us. I think they knew if they stopped our anemic offense and kept our D on the field they could wear us down. In the games we lost we couldn't stop the run. The other problem I see is we have several needs. We need O-line help,D-line help , a true starting RB and now a TE. Connor when he's healthy is capable. That's all I'll say about him.
I don't see us trading up because we need every pick we have. Even still we need home run picks because if we don't fix the O-line it won't matter how good our D plays or who our QB is.

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2021 7:53 am

@solardave wrote:
I believe this next draft is as important to us as ever. The FO needs to nail this and I agree we need some players who are just plain nasty. Not dirty but nasty. Last year even though our D with key players missing was still good but no one feared us. I think they knew if they stopped our anemic offense and kept our D on the field they could wear us down. In the games we lost we couldn't stop the run. The other problem I see is we have several needs. We need O-line help,D-line help , a true starting RB and now a TE. Connor when he's healthy is capable. That's all I'll say about him.
I don't see us trading up because we need every pick we have. Even still we need home run picks because if we don't fix the O-line it won't matter how good our D plays or who our QB is.

True. This one, and maybe next year's (assuming we will need to draft a QB).

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 24, 2021 6:27 am

@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

my reasoning for DL so early is because the pickins are slim. i don't wanna see them waste a 4th round pick and a roster spot on another dan McCullers.  it doesn't look like there is really any first round true centers or guards in this class. tackles like rashawn slater and Alijah Vera-Tucker are being projected as first round guards. i still think if the opportunity present itself to trade back to the top 1/3 of the second for an extra second and third presents itself , that would be the smart move. i believe the best values are in those 2 rounds. quantity over quality is a good thing when your needs are many.

You make sense about DL help. I don't think a NT who is only on the field part time is the way to go. DT for sure though. One thing we know is they will pick BPA. I just hope the BPA is a position where we need help.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm

@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

You make sense about DL help. I  don't think a NT who is only on the field part time is the way to go. DT for sure though. One thing we know is they will pick BPA. I just hope the BPA is a position where we need help.
well when baltimore and cleveland keep running all over them for 200+ yards , i guess aluala and buggs will get a good workout  with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2087824411
remember when making a team one dimensional was a thing ? they did that with a 1st round fat guy in the middle who kept the ILB's clean.

the only guy i would consider / want at 24 , that isnt a college tackle , and i say that because slater and alija vera-tucker  would likely be moved inside would be ILB zaven collins.

i think a few of the top tackles that will be available at 24 will be available in the top of the second but not at our 2nd round pick. then there is big drop off of talent.

i think the only NT that would be an upgrade over buggs and starter quality will need to be had by the 2nd pick. after that , forget about it ,  wait an take a flyer in the 6th. there isn't shit for 3-4 DE's in this draft. there might be a few interesting projects that may surprise in the 6th or 7th round. i like that fat guy from purdue ,  mcneil.

i think if they want a center it will have to be the 2nd or 3rd round.

RB , 3rd or 4th. trey sermon or rhamondre stevens will be there.

not to many TE's are credited with being good inline blockers. hunter long or jeremy ruckert maybe in the 4th ?

i stand by my statement that extra picks would be of more value than that 24th pick for this draft. i only pray that tomlin and colbert share my wisdom behind it.   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 131212936

the 24th pick for miami's 36 , 82 and 2022 4th with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 184121345
or the 24th or the jets 34 ,66 , 138

kirklandrules and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 pm

@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

You make sense about DL help. I  don't think a NT who is only on the field part time is the way to go. DT for sure though. One thing we know is they will pick BPA. I just hope the BPA is a position where we need help.
well when baltimore and cleveland keep running all over them for 200+ yards , i guess aluala and buggs will get a good workout  with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 2087824411
remember when making a team one dimensional was a thing ? they did that with a 1st round fat guy in the middle who kept the ILB's clean.

the only guy i would consider / want at 24 , that isnt a college tackle , and i say that because slater and alija vera-tucker  would likely be moved inside would be ILB zaven collins.

i think a few of the top tackles that will be available at 24 will be available in the top of the second but not at our 2nd round pick. then there is big drop off of talent.

i think the only NT that would be an upgrade over buggs and starter quality will need to be had by the 2nd pick. after that , forget about it ,  wait an take a flyer in the 6th. there isn't shit for 3-4 DE's in this draft. there might be a few interesting projects that may surprise in the 6th or 7th round. i like that fat guy from purdue ,  mcneil.

not to many TE's are credited with being good inline blockers. hunter long or jeremy ruckert maybe in the 4th ?

i stand by my statement that extra picks would be of more value than that 24th pick for this draft. i only pray that tomlin and colbert share my wisdom behind it.   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 131212936

the 24th pick for miami's 36 , 82 and 2022 4th with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 184121345

I really like Collins. He's big enough to mix it up with the hogs and hold his ground and athletic enough to make an impact in pass coverage.

The fat kid, McNeil, is from NC State. Let's call him "No Neck" from this point forward with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 1549491426

I like Hunter Long. He's got a bit of Heath Miller to his game. He would be great value in the 4th and not sure he makes it out of the 3rd. I think Ruckert is going back to OSU next year, so will need to wait a year to get him. As a long shot, I also like Tre' McKitty, but think he's heading back to Georgia as a graduate player. He can put 10 - 15 pounds on his frame and be a much better blocker ... but he's a good athlete now.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2021 2:30 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

I really like Collins. He's big enough to mix it up with the hogs and hold his ground and athletic enough to make an impact in pass coverage.

The fat kid, McNeil, is from NC State. Let's call him "No Neck" from this point forward with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 1549491426

I like Hunter Long. He's got a bit of Heath Miller to his game. He would be great value in the 4th and not sure he makes it out of the 3rd. I think Ruckert is going back to OSU next year, so will need to wait a year to get him. As a long shot, I also like Tre' McKitty, but think he's heading back to Georgia as a graduate player. He can put 10 - 15 pounds on his frame and be a much better blocker ... but he's a good athlete now.

oops i meant Neal..lorenzo neal...late round prospect.

how about the other TE from OSU ? luke farrell....untested really as a pass catcher, but is considered a good blocker. maybe a mark bruener type. projects as a late rounder

Quote :
PROS (+): He's tough as hell as a blocker and he did show the ability to rumble through high tackle challenges (Michigan State 2019) as well. He appears ot have requisite athleticism — although I wouldn't consider him a twitchy athlete or someone who will shine in vertical route stems. The few opportunities you got to gauge his hands didn't appear to show difficulties with addressing the football. I love the fact that he's embraced a "dirty work" role within the offense — he appears to be selfless and showed genuine excitement for his fellow TE Jeremy Ruckert on several scoring catches this year. Everyone needs role players and Farrell, with his run blocking and screen blocking prowess, has a role to play.

CONS (—): Marginal role in the passing game and comes from an offense that has been unkind to TE projections in recent years. Farrell is more of a possession type player and his ceiling in run after catch scenarios is marginal at best. He's shown good concentration on targets over the middle of the field but separation is not an area where he's routinely shown success and I'm not sure how well he will create separation against pro defenders early on since he's largely just ran into voids in the MOF or into the flat on routes. Probably will fare better as a traditional TE2, although he's spent a lot of his time in the OSU offense flexed and detached from the formation, which may lead to a gradual transition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..   with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select.. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

with the 24th pick of the NFL draft the steelers select..
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: