Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeLooks like Art II is going to play hardball. Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
solardave

solardave

Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. Empty
PostSubject: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 2:47 pm

He said Ben is welcome back but not for what he is projected to make.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/art-rooney-ii-open-to-ben-roethlisberger-returning-but-says-we-couldnt-have-him-back-under-the-current-contract/
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 2:58 pm

That's a pretty straightforward statement by ARII.

Also in the same conference:

The best response to this. It is pretty damming.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 4:05 pm

Art II is a moron. He clearly likes being mediocre and obviously doesn't care about winning another super bowl
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 5:07 pm

More updates.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 5:49 pm

@jak341 wrote:
More updates.

I love what he did for so many years and he looked good for half of last season. Hell, the young receivers will only get better, maybe they'll find a run game, and hopefully Ben wants redemption from that dump of a game he played against the Browns.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 6:31 pm

If they get a quality Center and LT and Decastro either gets healthy or we get a replacement we might have a shot.

With a running game the defenses will have to guess without a run game Ben cant get it done all on his own the last 6 games proved that.

Invest in the Oline and a run stuffing NG that can get after a QB.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 7:35 pm

still defenses know Ben's deep ball sucks, time to bite the bullet and move on.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 3:24 am

I'm hoping Ben's deep ball being off was a result of his elbow and more time will fix it. If they can fix his contract to be more cap friendly I'd rather have him than anyone else. Hope fully they get it done.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 am

@effyou515 wrote:
still defenses know Ben's deep ball sucks, time to bite the bullet and move on.

With a balanced offense Ben wont have to throw as often in the first 8 games of the season. I think all of the throwing the first half of the season had an impact on Bens arm.

Dont get me wrong I want him to retire but he isnt going to. Now the team has to try to get the people in place to give him the best shot at making a run at AFC North Champ and then go deep in the playoffs. The ONLY way we do that with Ben is to create a beast of an offensive line group that can dominate the line of scrimmage. Which by the way will help out ANY young QB that comes in the following year to take over for Ben.

Its the smartest thing the Steelers can do being trapped in allowing Ben to go out on his terms and allowing the team to look good in the process. The Defense is solid as MoP mentioned you get a run stuffing NG that demands double teaming you allow your LBs clean lanes to the QB. We have to pick up very few peices for the D. The Oline is the major project that needs impact players NOW.

Either draft or pick up in FA, Center, LT, Dotson move to LG, Banner back at RT, Decastro with a young hungry (RG sitting right behind him) and Chuks as a swing guy at Tackle.

I am not sold on Decastro I think he is done but as MoP pointed out he may have had that abdominal injury all season and played hurt also along side Pouncey which played terrible. Get a draft pick and let Tomlin tell Decastro he better win his spot in camp or he plays backup.

Have young guys just waiting and let the whole damn team know day 1 in camp that 1 and done in the playoffs isn't going to cut it and jobs are on the line.

This whole taking 2 to 3 years to develop players is just dumb as shit. Those young guys need opportunities to show what they have and the Steelers need to get young in a lot of places.

Master_Of_Puppets and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 10:46 am

@solardave wrote:
I'm hoping Ben's deep ball being off was a result of his elbow and more time will fix it. If they can fix his contract to be more cap friendly I'd rather have him than anyone else. Hope fully they get it done.
and who do you mean by "anyone else " ? free agent ? mason ?
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 11:45 am

WOW... people got the Ben bad, quit talking the Ben that's not helping yourself or the people around, the denial, the self destruction, the hallucinations, the loss of reality, for the love of nation, the Steelers Nation, it's time to walk to the light, it's time for help, it's time to put the Ben down, it's time to walk into your nearest city rehab center, and get the needed help.

Twisted Evil  Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 2306309830 but you know once Ben is gone it's going to be 25 years of Steelers Fandom hell with quarterback, after quarterback, after quarterback, after quarterback, of bad talent and always looking back and thinking "what if Ben played one more year?"  Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 2625562446  

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 12:38 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
WOW... people got the Ben bad, quit talking the Ben that's not helping yourself or the people around, the denial, the self destruction, the hallucinations, the loss of reality, for the love of nation, the Steelers Nation, it's time to walk to the light, it's time for help, it's time to put the Ben down, it's time to walk into your nearest city rehab center, and get the needed help.

Twisted Evil  Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 2306309830 but you know once Ben is gone it's going to be 25 years of Steelers Fandom hell with quarterback, after quarterback, after quarterback, after quarterback, of bad talent and always looking back and thinking "what if Ben played one more year?"  Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 2625562446  
i myself wanted to part ways with Ben last year and get the rebuild started. all they are doing is delaying the inevitable year(s). we may have not went 12-4 and got ass raped by the browns in the playoffs , but..... Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 2087824411
i consider any year you dont win at least one playoff game a losing season. under my leadership we wouldn't be wallowing in cap hell in 2021. resigning dupree would be an option. you guys should all write letters to the steelers and suggest i become president of the organization ... Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 1797695198

kirklandrules and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 4:05 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@solardave wrote:
and who do you mean by "anyone else " ?  free agent ?  mason ?

OK you got me. I have to backpedal. Anyone on the roster. It's not like we could sign Watson or any other notable QB. But hey. Maybe Haskins Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 611739232

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptySat Jan 30, 2021 1:30 pm

My opinion (which is worth zip), Ben should see the handwriting on the wall. Pouncey retired, Rooney is hinting, talking free agent QB's....Retire.

I wish we could get Watson, I would freaking love that. Can't happen if Ben is still on the roster.

Signing the free agents we need won't happen with that $41M cap hit.

Nothing good is going to come of Ben sticking around another year, except for $$$$ in his pocket.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptySat Jan 30, 2021 4:52 pm

22.25 million of that money is not up for debate. they give it to him this year or next year or split it up and give him part of it this year and the rest next year. the question is how much additional money should he get ? his actual salary. 5 million ? 10 million ? 20 million ?
how much does he not care about that 19 million salary ? would he play for just 5 million dollars ? because then they could just pay him 5 million base plus 15 million of the bonus for a 20 million cap hit and then they would only owe him 7.25 after he retires next year. Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 2087824411
its an easy fix if he "really" doesnt care about the money.

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptySat Jan 30, 2021 11:53 pm

@jak341 wrote:
That's a pretty straightforward statement by ARII.

The best response to this. It is pretty damming.

Reading thru this is just sobering. We can talk a lot right now about Ben coming back, this player needs to retire or cut, but there has been one constant thru all these finishes. I am not one to rail against the coach but these late season collapses need to end. 11-0 to 1-5 and losing to depleted Browns who were missing coaches, players, and hadn't been practicing is too much.

I began following the Steelers during last 2 70s SBs. I always thought that 1980 to 1991 span prior to Cowher's arrival were the worst. During that time they still made an AFC CG and were a few points shy of another in 1989 with bad to mediocre QBs. We've had a HOF QB all these years and we get late season collapses as well as playoff losses to Tim Tebow-Blake Bortles-Browns, we lose to Flacco at home in playoffs. We likely don't win in 08 if brady is active, likely don't go in 10 if the Jets didn't take the cheats out before they got to us. The other losses are probably the worst in Steelers history. The players change but the results do not.

Just need to vent and tired of staying the course and getting same results year in and year out. I'm ready to return to 70's or 2004ish Steelers football

solardave and jak341 like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 12:38 pm

Lambert,

I think that's why I'm so pleased about the OC decision. I believe Canada will bring back the Ground game. That's a huge missing link. Very few teams go deep in the playoffs without a ground game.

I understand your frustration. I've been a Steelers fan even longer (my first memory of following the Steelers was when they went 6-8, a few years before all the success happened. And back then, we were HAPPY to be 6-8).
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 10:27 pm

the running won't come back until the Steelers offense can get defenses on their heels with deep pass.

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 11:02 pm

Stretching the field definitely is part of that equation. But creative and effective blocking, movements, etc, are a huge part of it. If Ben is back, hopefully his deep ball accuracy will be back too. If not, its going to be very difficult.

But we will get nowhere asking an almost 40 year old QB coming off elbow surgery to throw the ball 50 times a game. That just can't happen.

On the other hand, Mason Rudolph sure threw a nice deep ball in the game he played in...

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 1:56 am

taking more snaps under center might also help. that is another area the steelers failed to disguise their  intentions. 85% under center snaps were run plays. play action pretty much disappeared in this offense.

Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. Captur20

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 5:08 am

Honestly Ben just put up a pretty good season, one of his best by his standards. He nearly tied his career high in TD passes in a season, and while his yardage could've been better, the offense he was running was predicated on dink and dunk quick passing so I think that's where his yardage total went down quite a bit over his previous season totals.

I think Ben has another year in him, and I'd like to see what he can do with a different coordinator that's not handicapping him with a bland quick passing scheme. That's not to say Canada won't feature that kind of stuff in his offense, but I think we'll see a little more stuff down the field. Either way, I think the calling for Ben's retirement is a knee jerk reaction to a disappointing end to a promising season. Instead of putting our offense in the hands of Mason Rudolph, or Dwayne Haskins I'd rather we roll with Ben for another season or two and inject younger talent where we need it the most (on the o-line).

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 5:24 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Honestly Ben just put up a pretty good season, one of his best by his standards. He nearly tied his career high in TD passes in a season, and while his yardage could've been better, the offense he was running was predicated on dink and dunk quick passing so I think that's where his yardage total went down quite a bit over his previous season totals.

I think Ben has another year in him, and I'd like to see what he can do with a different coordinator that's not handicapping him with a bland quick passing scheme. That's not to say Canada won't feature that kind of stuff in his offense, but I think we'll see a little more stuff down the field. Either way, I think the calling for Ben's retirement is a knee jerk reaction to a disappointing end to a promising season. Instead of putting our offense in the hands of Mason Rudolph, or Dwayne Haskins I'd rather we roll with Ben for another season or two and inject younger talent where we need it the most (on the o-line).

I agree with everything you say. I'd like to add that in order for this to happen (Ben coming back) his contract needs to be restructured to be more cap friendly. I'm not sure how or if they can do that. If they can I think picks would be better spent on the O-line, ILB and or DT.

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 5:30 am

@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I agree with everything you say. I'd like to add that in order for this to happen (Ben coming back) his contract needs to be restructured to be more cap friendly. I'm not sure how or if they can do that. If they can I think picks would be better spent on the O-line, ILB and or DT.

Well good thing for us is that Ben himself has stated that he doesn't care about his pay this season at all. I think he's willing to take a very team friendly contract restructure which could free up a good bit of cap space in and of itself. The Rooney's have already made it clear that they can't have Ben back under his current contract, so he knows he's going to have to take one for the team in this case.

We bolster the o-line and get the running game going again in Matt Canada's offense and I think we'll be much improved from an offensive standpoint. No need to push the reset button just yet.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 9:53 am

name a year when we didnt predict a change ( coaching , free agent , draft class) would make the team much improved. Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 1797695198

when you keep changing coaches and players and nothing really notably  improves, then the right changes are not being made.

one change that made a significant improvement was hiring mike munchak. he turned one of the worst Oline groups in the league in to one of the best. he leaves and it almost immediately goes back to shit. coincidence ?

david decastro goes down with an injury and dotson steps in for a few games. the running game improves. decastro comes back and it goes back to shit. coincidence ?

porter becomes OLB coach , pass rushing falls off...porter leaves and pass rush gets better...coincidence ?

steelers have always had a stout run stopping defensive line under john mitchell. he retires and suddenly it has cracks...coincidence ?

steelers move away from having a traditional 0 technique nose tackle, and the once solid run defense becomes softer. coincidence ?

at some point you gotta look at the person / people, thats making the changes and doing the hiring. it all starts at the top. there's a reason why teams develop trends. like sucking for decades ( browns ,bengals, lions, etc) , or being contenders for decades but unable to finish a season strong or win the biggest games. even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in awhile, but its hunger will never be satisfied.

solardave, LambertWardSteel and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 3:36 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
name a year when we didnt predict a change ( coaching , free agent , draft class) would make the team much improved. Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. 1797695198

when you keep changing coaches and players and nothing really notably  improves, then the right changes are not being made.

one change that made a significant improvement was hiring mike munchak. he turned one of the worst Oline groups in the league in to one of the best. he leaves and it almost immediately goes back to shit. coincidence ?

david decastro goes down with an injury and dotson steps in for a few games. the running game improves. decastro comes back and it goes back to shit. coincidence ?

porter becomes OLB coach , pass rushing falls off...porter leaves and pass rush gets better...coincidence ?

steelers have always had a stout run stopping defensive line under john mitchell. he retires and suddenly it has cracks...coincidence ?

steelers move away from having a traditional 0 technique nose tackle, and the once solid run defense becomes softer. coincidence ?

at some point you gotta look at the person / people, thats making the changes and doing the hiring. it all starts at the top. there's a reason why teams develop trends. like sucking for decades ( browns ,bengals, lions, etc) , or being contenders for decades but unable to finish a season strong or win the biggest games. even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in awhile, but its hunger will never be satisfied.

I really think Tomlin is on the hot seat in 2021. He's got no one left to blame it on except Butler and fired him won't change anything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.   Looks like Art II is going to play hardball. Empty

Back to top Go down

Looks like Art II is going to play hardball.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: