Steelers Xtreme Forum


 
HomeTomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

 

 Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract

Go down 
+7
effyou515
Steel Peon
Master_Of_Puppets
Shalieve5090
SteelerFreak58
solardave
jak341
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
solardave

solardave

Posts : 5331
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 3:46 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
seen a lot of great Rock concerts in Cleveland and the surrounding area 3 in the old Cleveland Stadium 1979 World Series of Rock, Paul McCartney and Pink Floyd. was there when Turkey Jones planted Bradshaw head first in the turf the fans were about 50 /50 lot of fights broke out a lot of people went to jail that day.
Lambert was the man. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1797695198 Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1797695198

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxDUCaUYhnw

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Posts : 1945
Join date : 2011-04-08

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 10:05 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
I wouldn't sleep On Cleveland, and I certainly wouldn't sleep IN Cleveland.
Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1f601

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1549491426 ..... Shocked  hey i was born in cleveland. i spent the first 2 years of my life there. my father worked for the railroad and was transferred there. after 2 years my mother told him i'm outta here , you can stay, but i'm done with this shithole.  so the old man had to quit the railroad ... Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1797695198
*disclaimer * - i am paraphrasing , but the sentiment is the same.

So basically you're saying when your father was transferred to Cleveland, he was railroaded? Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1549491426

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1797695198  he never said what he did to receive such a harsh punishment. probably called the boss an asshole and the boss said , that's it, you're going to Cleveland !! Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2625562446  .
and the oldman was like ... Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2744185472  ... Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3307848339

i'd imagine it was like the russians sending people to the gulag... No
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 1380
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 1:30 am

I've never been one to rail against the coach. I trust the system, trust the Rooney leadership. From the time seeing Art Rooney as a grandfather type figure when I first started watching the Steelers as a kid in 1978. I think it is their nurturing that is responsible for building a franchise that's has 6 trophies with 3 coaches in 50+ years. There might be some slippage with Art 2 but probably too soon to gauge with Dan only being out of the picture a few years.

I can see the thinking of who do we get if Tomlin is gone. However, who did we get when Cowher left, Noll left, or when Noll himself was hired? The team doesn't go looking for HOF established careers for head coach vacancies, the last 2 were a special teams coach and a DB coach. They both did ok. I believe they are in a system that allows them to succeed. I think team ownership is aware of the right qualities needed to mold a successful coach.

I think things reach a point were a change is needed. Noll's first 15 years were fantastic. Even the first couple losing seasons were building a HOF roster. But after he made an AFC CG in 1984, other than a Cinderella 1989 playoff appearance, things were pretty barren until 1992 when Cowher arrived. I've never been clear on whether Noll's departure was a pushed retirement or he left all on his own. I'm thinking it was more the former. It does feel at some point the ownership stepped in on a guy who was considered the greatest coach in the SB era until the arrival of cheating scum in New England .

Cowher was almost gone around 1999. He ended up staying until 06. The span from 2000-06 was a decent time in Steelers history despite the AFC CG failures. He left at 15 seasons, which was right around the time Noll's barren time started. I do expect Cowher would have ridden that 05-08 team until they started fading and retiring. Very likely he would have hit the same down time Tomlin did. It's impossible to say if Cowher would have had better results with the AB/LB/Ben offense, and maybe had a better D built to go along with that team....possibly another Lombardi in there.

I don't make team decisions but I am always willing to fall back into believing in the Rooney operation that has made this team the most successful in the NFL since 1970. Stability counts for a whole lot. At the same time I think ownership at some point needs to step in. The Tweet on this thread outlining Tomlin's career is embarrassing when you see the Tebow and other failures, but it is self justifying an agenda , i.e., make Tomlin look bad.

My issues with Tomlin are the late season implosions, losing to inferior teams, and letting inmates run the asylum. I believe he has shown enough that a contract renewal is justified. But, 3 years is about the max I'd want at this point. If some of these things continue on as status quo I think it is time to make the same decision as Noll and was considered on Cowher. Pittsburgh stability is awesome, it is tradition, but it needs to lead to post season success and ultimately Super Bowl victories. That is Steeler football.

_________________
Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 $_35

Master_Of_Puppets, solardave and jak341 like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Posts : 1945
Join date : 2011-04-08

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 7:08 am

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3964572787 ...except i dont see the thinking of "who are we gonna get " , for the reasons you stated. they were looking for a coach when they found cowher and tomlin.
chuck noles fate was sealed when they drafted mark malone. the polar opposite of belichik drafting brady.

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3ac9527c8821751aa8a35b333e53d29d

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Posts : 4572
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 11:18 am

Noll had had the Steelers trending a superbowl team when Cowher took over, Malone wasn't the same player after his knee injury, Gabe Rivers car wreck really hurt the Steelers were going to build the defense around him like Joe Greene, should of took Marino lighting doesn't always strike twice, small market Steelers couldn't keep up with the 80s free agency Cowboys and 49ers and big market teams were buying up most of the talent, Noll wasn't run out of town.

_________________
The female players: "Coach she's to big and strong we can't stop her.

coach: "hit her in the dick"
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 1380
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 3:15 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
Noll had had the Steelers trending a superbowl team when Cowher took over, Malone wasn't the same player after his knee injury, Gabe Rivers car wreck really hurt the Steelers were going to build the defense around him like Joe Greene, should of took Marino lighting doesn't always strike twice, small market Steelers couldn't keep up with the 80s free agency Cowboys and 49ers and big market teams were buying up most of the talent, Noll wasn't run out of town.

Yeah, you make a good point. I saw a biography about Noll and they were saying he believed he had another SB contender when he left. I can only imagine what the 90s had been like had they had Marino to go with that D. Thinking about it now I'm not sure if I'd want Noll or Cowher coaching that Marino team. That is assuming Noll drafted Marino and there never was the issue of Noll thinking he had been involved with drugs.

I was watching some old games on YouTube last fall and didn't remember Rivera playing very much for them. Ultimately he only played a few games, but my memory prior to that had been that he really hadn't played at all.

I remember a game in Seattle...I think it was 1981. Mark Malone lined up as a WR and caught a 90 yd TD. I lost my mind. Now it doesn't seem that big a deal after Stewart being in Pittsburgh. But, back then a QB playin WR seemed unreal. I remember Malone around the same time filling in for Bradshaw and Stoudt and he was pretty good at running bootlegs.

_________________
Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 $_35
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Posts : 1945
Join date : 2011-04-08

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
Noll had had the Steelers trending a superbowl team when Cowher took over, Malone wasn't the same player after his knee injury, Gabe Rivers car wreck really hurt the Steelers were going to build the defense around him like Joe Greene, should of took Marino lighting doesn't always strike twice, small market Steelers couldn't keep up with the 80s free agency Cowboys and 49ers and big market teams were buying up most of the talent, Noll wasn't run out of town.

but here's the thing , Noll never tried to fix the Malone mistake by investing in another QB. i mean his solution was david freakin woodley Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1505004552 whom the fins replaced with marino. he could have had boomer easiason in 84 or randall cunningham in 85. i can understand wiffing on a draft pick , it happens ,but not even trying to seriously address a glaring need ? they were putting band aids on gunshot wounds Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2913999526
Dick Haley (1971-1990) lost his draft magic after the 70's.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Posts : 4572
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 1:31 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
Noll had had the Steelers trending a superbowl team when Cowher took over, Malone wasn't the same player after his knee injury, Gabe Rivers car wreck really hurt the Steelers were going to build the defense around him like Joe Greene, should of took Marino lighting doesn't always strike twice, small market Steelers couldn't keep up with the 80s free agency Cowboys and 49ers and big market teams were buying up most of the talent, Noll wasn't run out of town.

Yeah, you make a good point. I saw a biography about Noll and they were saying he believed he had another SB contender when he left. I can only imagine what the 90s had been like had they had Marino to go with that D. Thinking about it now I'm not sure if I'd want Noll or Cowher coaching that Marino team. That is assuming Noll drafted Marino and there never was the issue of Noll thinking he had been involved with drugs.

I was watching some old games on YouTube last fall and didn't remember Rivera playing very much for them. Ultimately he only played  a few games, but my memory prior to that had been that he really hadn't played at all.

I remember a game in Seattle...I think it was 1981. Mark Malone lined up as a WR and caught a 90 yd TD. I lost my mind. Now it doesn't seem that big a deal after Stewart being in Pittsburgh. But, back then a QB playin WR seemed unreal. I remember Malone around the same time filling in for Bradshaw and Stoudt and he was pretty good at running bootlegs.

another thing that hurt the steelers in the 80s, low draft choices during the superbowl years then 1980 hit and all the great players through those years seem to retire at the same time with in a few years. no salary cap in those years so the steelers weren't getting much help though free agency the steelers money wise couldnt compete and the Rooney's weren't going to over pay for players. 83 the USFL started and the steelers lost players to that league. a bad storm that really hurts the 80 steelers.

_________________
The female players: "Coach she's to big and strong we can't stop her.

coach: "hit her in the dick"
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Posts : 4572
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 2:24 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
Noll had had the Steelers trending a superbowl team when Cowher took over, Malone wasn't the same player after his knee injury, Gabe Rivers car wreck really hurt the Steelers were going to build the defense around him like Joe Greene, should of took Marino lighting doesn't always strike twice, small market Steelers couldn't keep up with the 80s free agency Cowboys and 49ers and big market teams were buying up most of the talent, Noll wasn't run out of town.

but here's the thing , Noll never tried to fix the Malone mistake by investing in another QB. i mean his solution was david freakin woodley Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1505004552 whom the fins replaced with marino. he could have had boomer easiason in 84 or randall cunningham in 85. i can understand wiffing on a draft pick , it happens ,but not even trying to seriously address a glaring need ? they were putting band aids on gunshot wounds  Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2913999526
Dick Haley (1971-1990) lost his draft magic after the 70's.

just like to day same as back then most franchise QBs don't make it out of the top 10 picks the steelers messed up not drafting Dan Marino. but Gabe Rivera was a bigger, quicker and faster Joe Greene maybe a once in a generation DL if iit wasn't for the car wreck that ended his career.

what really hurt the steelers was they got old in the late 70s the HOFers started to retire 80 / 81 then in 83 the USFL started and took players steelers for about a 4 - 5 year stretch lost more talent then they could draft. the late 80s was when the team talent level started to rise.

it was no fun being a steelers fan in the 80s when you had a 70s hangover.

_________________
The female players: "Coach she's to big and strong we can't stop her.

coach: "hit her in the dick"

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Posts : 1765
Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Riiiiight heeeere

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 4:13 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
Noll had had the Steelers trending a superbowl team when Cowher took over, Malone wasn't the same player after his knee injury, Gabe Rivers car wreck really hurt the Steelers were going to build the defense around him like Joe Greene, should of took Marino lighting doesn't always strike twice, small market Steelers couldn't keep up with the 80s free agency Cowboys and 49ers and big market teams were buying up most of the talent, Noll wasn't run out of town.

but here's the thing , Noll never tried to fix the Malone mistake by investing in another QB. i mean his solution was david freakin woodley Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1505004552 whom the fins replaced with marino. he could have had boomer easiason in 84 or randall cunningham in 85. i can understand wiffing on a draft pick , it happens ,but not even trying to seriously address a glaring need ? they were putting band aids on gunshot wounds  Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2913999526
Dick Haley (1971-1990) lost his draft magic after the 70's.

just like to day same as back then most franchise QBs don't make it out of the top 10 picks the steelers messed up not drafting Dan Marino. but Gabe Rivera was a bigger, quicker and faster Joe Greene maybe a once in a generation DL if iit wasn't for the car wreck that ended his career.

what really hurt the steelers was they got old in the late 70s the HOFers started to retire 80 / 81 then in 83 the USFL started and took players steelers for about a 4 - 5 year stretch lost more talent then they could draft. the late 80s was when the team talent level started to rise.

Yep and I have to confess, I forgot about the mess the USFL created for the NFL. Remember how they brought in some top talent with huge salaries? You had outstanding backs like Herschel Walker and Marcus Dupree spend their early years in the USFL. Dupree blew out his knee in that league and never really was the same after.

Anyways, I always thought of Malone as a B+ QB on a C+ team. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3135543967

@effyou515 wrote:
it was no fun being a steelers fan in the 80s when you had a 70s hangover.

No kidding. I remember when the Browns beat the Steelers 50-0, had to be somewhere around '84. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2432665661
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Posts : 1945
Join date : 2011-04-08

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 9:10 pm

damn...i too forgot about the USFL. also looking back at those 80's drafts, the options for QB's really kinda sucked. the pickens were definitely slim. being a Maryland fan, i really wanted easiason though. the steelers picked 23 in 1984 and took louis lipps. boomer went 10th in the second. they took scott campbell in the 7th round  Rolling Eyes  
i wonder how much history would have changed had they selected boomer with that 23rd pick ? Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3135543967
would the steelers have been a contender in the 80's ? would boomer have been a better QB with the steelers ?
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 1380
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 11:43 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
damn...i too forgot about the USFL. also looking back at those 80's drafts, the options for QB's really kinda sucked. the pickens were definitely slim. being a Maryland fan, i really wanted easiason though. the steelers picked 23 in 1984 and took louis lipps. boomer went 10th in the second. they took scott campbell in the 7th round  Rolling Eyes  
i wonder how much history would have changed had they selected boomer with that 23rd pick ? Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3135543967
would the steelers have been a contender in the 80's ? would boomer have been a better QB with the steelers ?

I would have liked Esiason to be a Steeler. I remember that 84 D being pretty good...probably still would have lost the AFC CG that year but maybe a little closer if we had Boomer.

At the time I liked Scott Campbell. Not so much for what he did on the field but I grew up right next to Hershey PA where he was from. In middle school, when he played, it was really cool for me to have someone who lived in the town next to me on the Steelers.

Louis Lipps was an exciting player and it was cool having him pairing next to the HOF Stallworth. Having a decent QB like Boomer throwing to them would have made things all the better.

_________________
Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 $_35
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 1380
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 11:55 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
Noll had had the Steelers trending a superbowl team when Cowher took over, Malone wasn't the same player after his knee injury, Gabe Rivers car wreck really hurt the Steelers were going to build the defense around him like Joe Greene, should of took Marino lighting doesn't always strike twice, small market Steelers couldn't keep up with the 80s free agency Cowboys and 49ers and big market teams were buying up most of the talent, Noll wasn't run out of town.

but here's the thing , Noll never tried to fix the Malone mistake by investing in another QB. i mean his solution was david freakin woodley Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1505004552 whom the fins replaced with marino. he could have had boomer easiason in 84 or randall cunningham in 85. i can understand wiffing on a draft pick , it happens ,but not even trying to seriously address a glaring need ? they were putting band aids on gunshot wounds  Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2913999526
Dick Haley (1971-1990) lost his draft magic after the 70's.

just like to day same as back then most franchise QBs don't make it out of the top 10 picks the steelers messed up not drafting Dan Marino. but Gabe Rivera was a bigger, quicker and faster Joe Greene maybe a once in a generation DL if iit wasn't for the car wreck that ended his career.

what really hurt the steelers was they got old in the late 70s the HOFers started to retire 80 / 81 then in 83 the USFL started and took players steelers for about a 4 - 5 year stretch lost more talent then they could draft. the late 80s was when the team talent level started to rise.

Yep and I have to confess, I forgot about the mess the USFL created for the NFL. Remember how they brought in some top talent with huge salaries? You had outstanding backs like Herschel Walker and Marcus Dupree spend their early years in the USFL. Dupree blew out his knee in that league and never really was the same after.

Anyways, I always thought of Malone as a B+ QB on a C+ team. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3135543967

@effyou515 wrote:
it was no fun being a steelers fan in the 80s when you had a 70s hangover.

No kidding. I remember when the Browns beat the Steelers 50-0, had to be somewhere around '84. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2432665661


Yikes, those are some bad memories. They started 89 season losing 51-0 to Browns and 42-10 to Bengals, so 0-2 and outscored 92-10 to start the season Shocked they were 4-6 after 10 games, then went 5-1 (would have been 6-0 if the refs didn't give the Oilers a game in snowy Pittsburgh) to finish 9-7. They needed, and got, about 3 dozen things to go right the last week of the season to make the playoffs for the first time since 1984. It was so sweet beating the Oilers and Jerry Glanville in the Wild Card in Huston that year. Then they almost beat Elway in Denver but ended up 2-3 points short of going to the AFC CG that year.




_________________
Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 $_35
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Posts : 5331
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 7:35 am

I lived in Tampa during the USFL days and they would practically pay you to come to games. I saw it as a good distraction. Got to see Kelly,Steve Young,Herschel and a lot of talent play on the cheap.I was friends with one of the Olineman (Bob Norris) we lived in the same neighborhood and jogged together. He got called for holding on a TD run that got called back. Spurrier cut him the next day and put the word out that Bob was a locker room nightmare. That was a lie and it ruined his career.Bob was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet.

https://thekeep.eiu.edu/press_releases_1982/619/

Spurrier was a vindictive PRICK.

I also believe had we drafted Marino we would have at least 1 more trophy.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Posts : 1765
Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Riiiiight heeeere

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 9:56 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
Noll had had the Steelers trending a superbowl team when Cowher took over, Malone wasn't the same player after his knee injury, Gabe Rivers car wreck really hurt the Steelers were going to build the defense around him like Joe Greene, should of took Marino lighting doesn't always strike twice, small market Steelers couldn't keep up with the 80s free agency Cowboys and 49ers and big market teams were buying up most of the talent, Noll wasn't run out of town.

but here's the thing , Noll never tried to fix the Malone mistake by investing in another QB. i mean his solution was david freakin woodley Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1505004552 whom the fins replaced with marino. he could have had boomer easiason in 84 or randall cunningham in 85. i can understand wiffing on a draft pick , it happens ,but not even trying to seriously address a glaring need ? they were putting band aids on gunshot wounds  Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2913999526
Dick Haley (1971-1990) lost his draft magic after the 70's.

just like to day same as back then most franchise QBs don't make it out of the top 10 picks the steelers messed up not drafting Dan Marino. but Gabe Rivera was a bigger, quicker and faster Joe Greene maybe a once in a generation DL if iit wasn't for the car wreck that ended his career.

what really hurt the steelers was they got old in the late 70s the HOFers started to retire 80 / 81 then in 83 the USFL started and took players steelers for about a 4 - 5 year stretch lost more talent then they could draft. the late 80s was when the team talent level started to rise.

Yep and I have to confess, I forgot about the mess the USFL created for the NFL. Remember how they brought in some top talent with huge salaries? You had outstanding backs like Herschel Walker and Marcus Dupree spend their early years in the USFL. Dupree blew out his knee in that league and never really was the same after.

Anyways, I always thought of Malone as a B+ QB on a C+ team. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3135543967

@effyou515 wrote:
it was no fun being a steelers fan in the 80s when you had a 70s hangover.

No kidding. I remember when the Browns beat the Steelers 50-0, had to be somewhere around '84. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2432665661


Yikes, those are some bad memories. They started 89 season losing 51-0 to Browns and 42-10 to Bengals, so 0-2 and outscored 92-10 to start the season  Shocked  they were 4-6 after 10 games, then went 5-1 (would have been 6-0 if the refs didn't give the Oilers a game in snowy Pittsburgh) to finish 9-7. They needed, and got, about 3 dozen things to go right the last week of the season to make the playoffs for the first time since 1984. It was so sweet beating the Oilers and Jerry Glanville in the Wild Card in Huston that year.  Then they almost beat Elway in Denver but ended up 2-3 points short of going to the AFC CG that year.

Damn, that was '89! Well I drank heavily through high school so its all a blur. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1645253483
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Posts : 4572
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 12:08 pm

@solardave wrote:
I lived in Tampa during the USFL days and they would practically pay you to come to games. I saw it as a good distraction. Got to see Kelly,Steve Young,Herschel and a lot of talent play on the cheap.I was friends with one of the Olineman (Bob Norris) we lived in the same neighborhood and jogged together. He got called for holding on a TD run that got called back. Spurrier cut him the next day and put the word out that Bob was a locker room nightmare. That was a lie and it ruined his career.Bob was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet.

https://thekeep.eiu.edu/press_releases_1982/619/

Spurrier was a vindictive PRICK.

I also believe had we drafted Marino we would have at least 1 more trophy.

if miami had any kind of defense when marino played they could of had a couple of trophies.

never like spurrier not knowing him, just the way he carried himself he just seemed self centered and whiny.

_________________
The female players: "Coach she's to big and strong we can't stop her.

coach: "hit her in the dick"
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Posts : 4572
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 12:14 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
Noll had had the Steelers trending a superbowl team when Cowher took over, Malone wasn't the same player after his knee injury, Gabe Rivers car wreck really hurt the Steelers were going to build the defense around him like Joe Greene, should of took Marino lighting doesn't always strike twice, small market Steelers couldn't keep up with the 80s free agency Cowboys and 49ers and big market teams were buying up most of the talent, Noll wasn't run out of town.

but here's the thing , Noll never tried to fix the Malone mistake by investing in another QB. i mean his solution was david freakin woodley Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1505004552 whom the fins replaced with marino. he could have had boomer easiason in 84 or randall cunningham in 85. i can understand wiffing on a draft pick , it happens ,but not even trying to seriously address a glaring need ? they were putting band aids on gunshot wounds  Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2913999526
Dick Haley (1971-1990) lost his draft magic after the 70's.

just like to day same as back then most franchise QBs don't make it out of the top 10 picks the steelers messed up not drafting Dan Marino. but Gabe Rivera was a bigger, quicker and faster Joe Greene maybe a once in a generation DL if iit wasn't for the car wreck that ended his career.

what really hurt the steelers was they got old in the late 70s the HOFers started to retire 80 / 81 then in 83 the USFL started and took players steelers for about a 4 - 5 year stretch lost more talent then they could draft. the late 80s was when the team talent level started to rise.

Yep and I have to confess, I forgot about the mess the USFL created for the NFL. Remember how they brought in some top talent with huge salaries? You had outstanding backs like Herschel Walker and Marcus Dupree spend their early years in the USFL. Dupree blew out his knee in that league and never really was the same after.

Anyways, I always thought of Malone as a B+ QB on a C+ team. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3135543967

@effyou515 wrote:
it was no fun being a steelers fan in the 80s when you had a 70s hangover.

No kidding. I remember when the Browns beat the Steelers 50-0, had to be somewhere around '84. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 2432665661


Yikes, those are some bad memories. They started 89 season losing 51-0 to Browns and 42-10 to Bengals, so 0-2 and outscored 92-10 to start the season  Shocked  they were 4-6 after 10 games, then went 5-1 (would have been 6-0 if the refs didn't give the Oilers a game in snowy Pittsburgh) to finish 9-7. They needed, and got, about 3 dozen things to go right the last week of the season to make the playoffs for the first time since 1984. It was so sweet beating the Oilers and Jerry Glanville in the Wild Card in Huston that year.  Then they almost beat Elway in Denver but ended up 2-3 points short of going to the AFC CG that year.

Damn, that was '89! Well I drank heavily through high school so its all a blur. Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 1645253483

l was living between cleveland and columbus in the days it wasn't fun as a steelers fan then. the ok talent on the 89 team might of been chuck noll best coaching job that year and hope for me the steelers might be on the up swing.

_________________
The female players: "Coach she's to big and strong we can't stop her.

coach: "hit her in the dick"
Back to top Go down
Great Randino



Posts : 1012
Join date : 2018-08-31

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 1:52 pm

Let's hope the upcoming draft doesn't drive any of us to drink (special nod to Kirkland).
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Posts : 1945
Join date : 2011-04-08

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 7:10 pm

hey are we gonna use the chat box for the draft ?
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 1380
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 11:39 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
hey are we gonna use the chat box for the draft ?

That would be cool although I am not sure I'll be able to make it.

What do you guys think 1st round? I am really hoping for a RB and build line 2nd and 3rd rounds.

New mock draft up at ESPN tonight has us taking Harris


Quote :
24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Najee Harris, RB, Alabama | Highlights

Linebackers were tempting but Pittsburgh has to fix a shoddy running game and the league consensus is Harris is special. Plus, the Steelers have gone linebacker with five of their last seven first-round picks. Time for something new. With four of the top tackles and the top guard off the board, the Steelers take the most complete running back in the field, ready for contact on Day 1. Expect the Steelers to grab a running back somewhere in the first three rounds regardless. They've done a lot of work on the position -- Harris included -- in recent weeks. -- Jeremy Fowler

_________________
Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 $_35
Back to top Go down
Great Randino



Posts : 1012
Join date : 2018-08-31

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 12:33 am

I'm sure pulling for us to draft him.  I am a little afraid of someone taking him right ahead of us, like the Jets.  I wouldn't mind if we moved up ahead of a few times to get him.


Last edited by Great Randino on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : thanks auto-incorrect)
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 1380
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 8:11 am

@Great Randino wrote:
I'm sure pulling for us to draft him.  I am a little afraid of someone taking him right ahead of us, like the Jets.  I wouldn't mind if we moved up ahead of a few times to get him.

It's all just speculation …or guesswork, of course. But, this mock has the Jets getting a guard right before us. I've been reading the chats at Post Gazette and some of the writers there think Etienne (if that's how it's spelled) fits the Steelers better. With as little as they did to the RB position in free agency it almost seems they intend to take a RB. Of course there's been less activity and greater loss at CB...

_________________
Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 $_35
Back to top Go down
Great Randino



Posts : 1012
Join date : 2018-08-31

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 10:32 am

Javonte Williams is also a strong possibility.

It is also possible the Steelers will come in with the thought of grabbing one of several (they are obviously smarter about this than I am).

I remember when people went crazy over the Steelers picking Bell over Lacy. Some were enraged. But Bell was the better fit for the Steelers and that worked out well for us (until he went off the rails but still, we got some really good years out of him).

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 1380
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 1:42 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
Javonte Williams is also a strong possibility.

It is also possible the Steelers will come in with the thought of grabbing one of several (they are obviously smarter about this than I am).

I remember when people went crazy over the Steelers picking Bell over Lacy.  Some were enraged.  But Bell was the better fit for the Steelers and that worked out well for us (until he went off the rails but still, we got some really good years out of him).

Yeah, I've been hearing about him too. I think it's Dulac at Post Gazette that likes him.

_________________
Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 $_35
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Posts : 4572
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 3:04 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
damn...i too forgot about the USFL. also looking back at those 80's drafts, the options for QB's really kinda sucked. the pickens were definitely slim. being a Maryland fan, i really wanted easiason though. the steelers picked 23 in 1984 and took louis lipps. boomer went 10th in the second. they took scott campbell in the 7th round  Rolling Eyes  
i wonder how much history would have changed had they selected boomer with that 23rd pick ? Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 3135543967
would the steelers have been a contender in the 80's ? would boomer have been a better QB with the steelers ?

I would have liked Esiason to be a Steeler. I remember that 84 D being pretty good...probably still would have lost the AFC CG that year but maybe a little closer if we had Boomer.

At the time I liked Scott Campbell. Not so much for what he did on the field but I grew up right next to Hershey PA where he was from. In middle school, when he played, it was really cool for me to have someone who lived in the town next to me on the Steelers.

Louis Lipps was an exciting player and it was cool having him pairing next to the HOF Stallworth. Having a decent QB like Boomer throwing to them would have made things all the better.

Boomer was great at play action they also had the RBs and had to respect the run.

_________________
The female players: "Coach she's to big and strong we can't stop her.

coach: "hit her in the dick"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract    Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Tomlin Resigned To A 3 Year Contract
Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: