Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeFrom Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Great Randino

From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do Empty
PostSubject: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 12:46 am

Disheartening.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 2:03 am

I don't find it disheartening or even concerning. I think the media plays up this drama that Ben is a control freak of some sort. The only OC I genuinely think he had a rocky relationship with was Todd Haley, but Todd Haley isn't exactly a coach that got along with a lot of players, he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, no matter where he was employed.

The best OCs have a good working relationship with their QB. When you have a guy that has the years of experience that Ben has you should try to work with him and tailor the offense around the strengths of the football team. If you just go in and blindly try to install a system and run it your way or the highway... well I think that's when you end up having an offense like we saw last season under Fichtner.

Wasn't it Ben that drew up that play on the sideline against the Chargers a few years back with Vick under center and the offense was struggling? Wasn't it Ben that was on the sidelines doing everything he could to coach up Rudolph and Hodges when he had that season ending injury? I simply don't buy the Ben is selfish storyline, I think it's a bunch of crap that's stirred up by the media and disgruntled and selfish former players.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.

vasteeler and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 5:01 am

If the offense comes out firing on all cylinders Canada will be a genius. If they struggle it'll be all about him giving into Ben's "selfish" demands. I'm with Iowa. What's wrong with designing the offense around your QB? Isn't that how the rest of the OCs do it? What I'm saying is I'm not on the bandwagon wanting to fire Canada just yet.

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 7:36 am

@solardave wrote:
If the offense comes out firing on all cylinders Canada will be a genius. If they struggle it'll be all about him giving into Ben's "selfish" demands. I'm with Iowa. What's wrong with designing the offense around your QB? Isn't that how the rest of the OCs do it? What I'm saying is I'm not on the bandwagon wanting to fire Canada just yet.

I think Canada will open things up. They're already putting a heavy emphasis on improving the run game, with Harris in the backfield that gives us an excellent threat running the ball, and catching the ball out of the backfield. Canada is going to be more creative than Fichtner whose scheme was stale and predictable. Fichtner got away from the good things about the offense at the beginning of the season, and when his system got exposed and defenses figured out they could easily stack the box and completely take away our run game we were screwed. We needed a more youthful and creative mind and I think we got that with Canada.

If it wasn't for Ben last season, the offense wouldn't of been very good. I think a fresher Ben that doesn't have to throw the ball 50 times a game, and has play-action at his disposal is really going to open things up for us.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 10:56 am

I just hope Ben doesn't handcuff Canada and not let him implement his system. Obviously a good OC works with his QB. Perhaps the statement has as much to do with stroking Ben's rather large ego as anything. Let's hope. I want to see new things this year, not last year's crap.

And I don't want to see Ben throwing the ball 50 times a game either (although that little shuttle pass forward doesn't count. He can do 40 of those a game if it works).

Canada is likely to be around longer than Ben at this point (at least I hope) - so I'm just hoping that he is given an opportunity to implement his system. I think he will, but we will see. Older veteran QB's with a lot of pull can be stubborn (see Rodgers).

I also hope to hell they ditch either Haskins or Rudolph and keep Dobbs. Dobbs is easily the most athletic QB on the roster - there are elements of Canada's system that really open up with an athletic QB. Plus, he's likely to grasp the system faster than any of them.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 12:24 pm

think it might be more about what plays Ben favores in his offense heard Harris say a lot of Steelers and Alabama running plays the same waiting to see what it looks like come preseason.

coach: "hit her in the dick"

kirklandrules likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 1:33 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
I just hope Ben doesn't handcuff Canada and not let him implement his system.  Obviously a good OC works with his QB.  Perhaps the statement has as much to do with stroking Ben's rather large ego as anything.  Let's hope.  I want to see new things this year, not last year's crap.  

And I don't want to see Ben throwing the ball 50 times a game either (although that little shuttle pass forward doesn't count.  He can do 40 of those a game if it works).

Canada is likely to be around longer than Ben at this point (at least I hope) - so I'm just hoping that he is given an opportunity to implement his system.  I think he will, but we will see.  Older veteran QB's with a lot of pull can be stubborn (see Rodgers).

I also hope to hell they ditch either Haskins or Rudolph and keep Dobbs.  Dobbs is easily the most athletic QB on the roster - there are elements of Canada's system that really open up with an athletic QB.  Plus, he's likely to grasp the system faster than any of them.

What we need is the line to be able to run block and pass protect. If they open holes for Harris and can give Ben time to scan the field we will see a potent offense. The reason I'm looking forward to Canada is I think he can adjust where Fitchner could not. As far as QB I think whether we like it or not Rudolph will be #2 and if Haskins wakes up Dobbs could be the odd man out again even though he's the smartest player on the roster.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 2:24 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
I just hope Ben doesn't handcuff Canada and not let him implement his system.  Obviously a good OC works with his QB.  Perhaps the statement has as much to do with stroking Ben's rather large ego as anything.  Let's hope.  I want to see new things this year, not last year's crap.  

And I don't want to see Ben throwing the ball 50 times a game either (although that little shuttle pass forward doesn't count.  He can do 40 of those a game if it works).

Canada is likely to be around longer than Ben at this point (at least I hope) - so I'm just hoping that he is given an opportunity to implement his system.  I think he will, but we will see.  Older veteran QB's with a lot of pull can be stubborn (see Rodgers).

I also hope to hell they ditch either Haskins or Rudolph and keep Dobbs.  Dobbs is easily the most athletic QB on the roster - there are elements of Canada's system that really open up with an athletic QB.  Plus, he's likely to grasp the system faster than any of them.

What we need is the line to be able to run block and pass protect. If they open holes for Harris and can give Ben time to scan the field we will see a potent offense. The reason I'm looking forward to Canada is I think he can adjust where Fitchner could not. As far as QB I think whether we like it or not Rudolph will be #2 and if Haskins wakes up Dobbs could be the odd man out again even though he's the smartest player on the roster.

Yes to the blocking. I think Canada will give the line a better chance of success with his schemes - as in, you don't have to dominate your opponent per se, just get in front of them for a brief time.

I agree with you regarding QB's - but I really hope Dobbs is given a chance. His mobility is an asset especially in this kind of system, and he's got more of it than the others.

I have nothing against Haskins, I follow OSU and he was a good QB. I do think he's got a lazy streak though, at least that seems to be his track record. If he does really well, I'd love to see them trade Rudolph. I just don't see Rudolph ever making it.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 3:26 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:

Yes to the blocking.  I think Canada will give the line a better chance of success with his schemes - as in, you don't have to dominate your opponent per se, just get in front of them for a brief time.

I agree with you regarding QB's - but I really hope Dobbs is given a chance.  His mobility is an asset especially in this kind of system, and he's got more of it than the others.  

I have nothing against Haskins, I follow OSU and he was a good QB.  I do think he's got a lazy streak though, at least that seems to be his track record.  If he does really well, I'd love to see them trade Rudolph.  I just don't see Rudolph ever making it.

I hear you. Haskins might do well under Canada. I like Dobbs a lot but I don't think Rudolph has gotten a fair shake yet and I think this is his shot to prove himself and he'll have to do it well I think. We're actually fortunate to have this talent to evaluate. This is changing the subject a little but I watched an older game where Charlie Batch came in when Ben got hurt. Man do I miss him as our backup.He knew the offense as well as Ben and I suspect by the end of training camp Dobbs will know it as well as Ben. It'll all come out in the wash.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Everything fall on the shoulders of how the O-Line plays with all the new people and shifting positions. If the young guys come in and play solid (along with new guys) we may have a decent year. If it takes a while for them to gel Harris will look like a bust.
Canada of course is going to defer to his Veteran QB that is why last year should have been Bens last year and the organization made a big mistake not moving on from him.

Rudolph and Haskins deserve a shot at taking the #1 spot when Ben is gone. They both have great strong arms and Rudolph simply never really got a chance to show what he was capable of when Fitchner handcuffed him when Ben went down.

Oline comes together quickly and is able to perform well we do well. Oline doesn't gel quickly we end up 7-9 at best.

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 5:13 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Everything fall on the shoulders of how the O-Line plays with all the new people and shifting positions. If the young guys come in and play solid (along with new guys) we may have a decent year. If it takes a while for them to gel Harris will look like a bust.
Canada of course is going to defer to his Veteran QB that is why last year should have been Bens last year and the organization made a big mistake not moving on from him.

Rudolph and Haskins deserve a shot at taking the #1 spot when Ben is gone. They both have great strong arms and Rudolph simply never really got a chance to show what he was capable of when Fitchner handcuffed him when Ben went down.

Oline comes together quickly and is able to perform well we do well. Oline doesn't gel quickly we end up 7-9 at best.

Honestly it's not the offense that concerns me. If we have 2 guys in the secondary injured and missing time we could be screwed. We're still thin there and also at OLB/ILB. I could be worrying over nothing but I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 7:11 pm

The only two things that concern me are:

1. The Offense
2. The Defense.

Maybe special teams too.

From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do 1f60e
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do EmptyTue Jun 29, 2021 8:23 am

@Great Randino wrote:
The only two things that concern me are:

1. The Offense
2. The Defense.

Maybe special teams too.

From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do 1f60e

From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do   From Steelers Wire:  Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do Empty

Back to top Go down

From Steelers Wire: Steelers OC Matt Canada on the new offense: 'We’re going to do what Ben wants to do
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: