Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeHall of Fame Game - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Hall of Fame Game

Go down 
+7
jak341
IowaSteeler927
SteelerFreak58
effyou515
kirklandrules
vasteeler
Great Randino
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jak341

jak341

Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 10:02 am

After reading, thinking, and reflecting on the HoF game, here are my hot takes.

• Too soon to make any predictions about the OL. I didn't see much push to open up running lanes. Acknowledgement to the fact that most of this year's projected starters were not on the field at the same time.
  • Harris is an upgrade from Conner. Running game will be better based on that alone. I saw Harris hit come very small creases where Conner would have just run into the back of the OL.
  • Canada's offense is going to take a bit to gel. There are going to be fumbles, players out of position, etc.
  • Our secondary depth is poor.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 1:31 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
My new favorite Steeler Pressley Harvin Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 1797695198 Pressley Harvin is in real life on TV now l believe the 6' 265lbs that man is big and thick and if that punting game he put on is for real we got a winner.

He looked awesome. That ball he dropped at the 1 and the line drive that we got the fumble on probably had more to do with a little luck but I'll take the deep punts to the 10. I am most excited this preseason to see Harris and Freiermuth, but Harvin will be fun to watch. And it will be neat to see if they do punt fakes this year with him.

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 1:37 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
I'm sure I'm in the minority - but I'm most interested in seeing how Dobbs executes the new offense.  He's by far the most mobile of the QB's, meaning the most likely to add a whole new dimension to that offensive scheme that just doesn't exist with the other 3.

I personally would keep him for sure, and then trade (or release) either Rudolph or Haskins (or wait to see if one gets injured in preseason and they can IR someone.)

Reading the camp notes, it doesn't look good for Dobbs (for now). He hasn't been getting a lot of snaps. Most of the snaps have been between Ben, Rudolph, and Haskins. Ben is playing well with his few snaps, Rudolph hasn't exactly lit things up and from what I've read has been a bit of a checkdown charlie, and Haskins has actually been playing really well. If I remember correctly he's lead the offense to scores on every one of his two minute drill opportunities. He's also pushed the ball down the field a lot more than Rudolph and has been more successful in camp so far in that regard.

Honestly I think Dobbs is the odd man out. Perhaps they stick him on the practice squad, but I think Rudolph and Haskins are going to compete for that QB2 spot and whomever loses that battle is going to to be the QB3. All of that being said, I think Haskins needs to do what he's been doing in camp in the actual preseason games. Kid has an arm, and he's got the talent to be good. Whether or not he puts it together on the field and in a game... well we're going to find out.

I'm sure you are right.  They never mention Dobbs.  

I just don't like Rudolph.  And I'm not high on Haskins.  Wishful thinking that they will give Joshua a chance.

Saw this Gerry Dulac article at Post Gazette and wanted post here for you, Great Randino.

Quote :
Gerry Dulac: Don't count Josh Dobbs out yet

Josh Dobbs is already being counted out as one of the backups on the 53-man roster, just as he was in 2018 when the Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph in the third round — one round earlier than where Dobbs was picked a year earlier......

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/08/06/Pittsburgh-steelers-Josh-Dobbs-backup-quarterback-Mike-Tomlin-Hall-of-Fame-Game-vaccinations-training-camp-gerry-dulac/stories/202108060118

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Yes, Lambert! Thank you for that! I just read an article by, I think, Curt Popejoy, saying he was the best QB on the field. I was going to post it - happy that you beat me to it.

In my opinion, Dobbs is the QB most capable of running the new offense (we saw little of it in this game, no sense showing our hand this early). His mobility could add a whole new dimension to that offense - the QB keeping it (ala Lamar Jackson). More so than any of the other three QBs, he gives us that option.

My opinion, they need to make a decision whether to keep Haskins or Rudolph - and dump the other (trading Rudolph makes more sense because he could have actual trade value). And keep Dobbs for certain. I'd also consider inserting him in games at times and let him run a series or two.

Pressley Harvin - Love that punter! Bye, Berry.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 11:03 pm

@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
My new favorite Steeler Pressley Harvin Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 1797695198 Pressley Harvin is in real life on TV now l believe the 6' 265lbs that man is big and thick and if that punting game he put on is for real we got a winner.

Yeah we need a nickname for Harvin. That one he nailed to the 1 yd line looked like Velcro Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 1797695198 .

you can't punt a football any better the this,

his other punts were solid the one with the funny hop on the turnover was wild.

coach: "hit her in the dick"

kirklandrules likes this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 11:38 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
Yes, Lambert!  Thank you for that!  I just read an article by, I think, Curt Popejoy, saying he was the best QB on the field.    I was going to post it - happy that you beat me to it.

In my opinion, Dobbs is the QB most capable of running the new offense (we saw little of it in this game, no sense showing our hand this early).  His mobility could add a whole new dimension to that offense - the QB keeping it (ala Lamar Jackson).  More so than any of the other three QBs, he gives us that option.

My opinion, they need to make a decision whether to keep Haskins or Rudolph - and dump the other (trading Rudolph makes more sense because he could have actual trade value).  And keep Dobbs for certain.  I'd also consider inserting him in games at times and let him run a series or two.

Pressley Harvin - Love that punter!  Bye, Berry.

I think Haskins or Dobbs is still to be decided. Just my take on it based only on what I've read it seems Haskins is favored over Dobbs and Rudolph is a definite. But we will see how it plays out. I hope we get to see all 3 in preseason game action with more of the regulars around them.

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 11:40 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

Yeah we need a nickname for Harvin. That one he nailed to the 1 yd line looked like Velcro Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 1797695198 .

Awesome Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 792589548

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 1:18 pm

I think Pressley is really going to make a difference in our special teams. Well worth the draft pick!
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 1:38 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

As it turns out Harvin was on the phone with the Falcons talking free agent signing when Tomlin was calling to let him know he'd been drafted.

Pressley Harvin III Almost Signed With Falcons Before Answering Steelers Call

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pressley-harvin-signed-falcons-pittsburgh-steelers-call

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 3:37 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

As it turns out Harvin was on the phone with the Falcons talking free agent signing when Tomlin was calling to let him know he'd been drafted.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pressley-harvin-signed-falcons-pittsburgh-steelers-call

Hopefully that's the story he shares when he's the next punter inducted into the HOF Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 1549491426

effyou515 and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 12:04 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

Hopefully that's the story he shares when he's the next punter inducted into the HOF Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 1549491426

After Donnie Shell this past weekend I was thinking the same thing Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 2981382511

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 2:34 pm

Very interesting podcast with Noah Strackbein and Donnie Druin on All Steelers Talk, regarding the QB situation. Strackbein says that Joshua Dobbs has been the most accurate, most athletic QB of the 3 fighting for the backup role, and letting him go would "be a mistake". Also that Mason Rudolph has not looked particularly good. He surmises that the Steelers could possibly move Rudolph and install Dobbs as the backup with Haskins as the 3rd QB, due to his upside, but that Haskins is nowhere near being ready to be an NFL QB.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 5:35 pm

This article by BTSC is a good summary of the backup QB situation.

As I stated earlier, I wanted Rudolph to be the guy just so Ben's successor would already be familiar with this team. If he's not the guy, then they will have to find someone. We'll either sit through several journeymen (think pre-Ben) or a rookie who will go through growing pains (assuming the next guy isn't like Ben and has the best defense and running offense in the league). I'm counting very little on these preseason games to shed much light on who's the #2 because they don't utilize their full playbook (they keep it basic) and the personnel is a mixed bag on any given series. Maybe Dobbs and Haskins have a shot at #2, but I have no faith either will be the man after Ben walks off. More realistically, those two are fighting to see who holds the clipboard while wearing sweatpants on game day. Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 2087824411
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 8:20 pm

I don't think the "heir apparent" is on the roster.

I'm watching tonight's game with Philly - and Rudolph has good stats, but what matters more is being able to pick up 3rd downs, and drives leading to scores. On those notes he's a fail. He hasn't had much help from the linemen (and TE) with holding penalties - but he seems unable to drop back in a 3rd and 8+, find a receiver and make a play.

kirklandrules likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 9:46 am

With our current O-line it doesn't matter who's playing QB. It's easy to win preseason games when you can play 2nd or 3rd stringers, but when we were playing their starting D our OL got butchered. If that doesn't change we will need 5 QB's to finish the season, because they all will get killed.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 2:22 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
I don't think the "heir apparent" is on the roster.  

I'm watching tonight's game with Philly - and Rudolph has good stats, but what matters more is being able to pick up 3rd downs, and drives leading to scores.  On those notes he's a fail.  He hasn't had much help from the linemen (and TE) with holding penalties - but he seems unable to drop back in a 3rd and 8+, find a receiver and make a play.

I totally agree (I wasn't able to watch the game). Seeing Tomlins quote on run game penalties being drive killers and looking at the box score plays, I was thinking Rudolph got the short end of the stick (3 straight drives with offensive penalties). You are correct that he still needs to find a way to overcome. On the positive side for Rudolph is that he's pushed the ball downfield in each of these games with some success ... but it's preseason so it counts for very little.

The strange thing about Rudolph is that he had a lot of success going down the field in college. It almost seems as if he's gone the to the opposite extreme to show that he can be a game manager and not just a gunslinger. I'm excited to see how these QBs perform in the broader Canada system.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 7:27 pm

coach: "hit her in the dick"

LambertWardSteel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 10:45 pm

To my count, the offense, with Rudolph on the field, has scored exactly zero points.

Maybe I missed a FG somewhere but....

Ultimately, I don't care what his stats are and neither should anyone else. He's been playing with the first team and they Can't Score. To me that a damming sign that its time to move on from him.

Haskins looked great. He needs time with the first string. He was definitely the best QB on the field.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 12:18 am

@Great Randino wrote:
To my count, the offense, with Rudolph on the field, has scored exactly zero points.

Ultimately, I don't care what his stats are and neither should anyone else.  He's been playing with the first team and they Can't Score.  To me that a damming sign that its time to move on from him.

Haskins looked great.  He needs time with the first string.  He was definitely the best QB on the field.

I agree Haskins looked really good and also would like to see him playing with more starters...and against more starters. What did Haskins have, 3 TDs and 1 FG in the 4 possessions he was in? I don't know if there's any chance Rudolph can be unseated. It seems they are committed to him as the back up.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 7:03 am

@Great Randino wrote:

Ultimately, I don't care what his stats are and neither should anyone else.  He's been playing with the first team and they Can't Score.  To me that a damming sign that its time to move on from him.

Haskins looked great.  He needs time with the first string.  He was definitely the best QB on the field.

Totally agree with your statements. But it comes back to this being preseason football. Canada and Sullivan will know how well each QB played and is ready for regular season duties. Versus how much the QBs have been improvising against non-starters on defense.

Haskins should be given a chance to play with and against 1st string players to get a better assessment of where he is (just like a bunch of fans thought of Dobbs a week ago).

To this point in his career, Rudolph has not lived up to his potential. I thought he looked good against the Jets in 2019, before getting injured. I also thought he looked good against the Browns in the last game of this prior season, a game the Browns had to win and the Steelers sat a bunch of starters. Rudolph came within a non-PI call on a 2 point conversion of pulling that win off.

The same can be applied to Haskins in Washington. He had his moments, both good and probably more bad.

Dobbs is who he is, the guy who couldn't beat out Rudolph or The Duck and was cut.

We're all lobbying for one player over another to win a job we hope we never have to see them perform in the regular season.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 2:18 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:

Totally agree with your statements. But it comes back to this being preseason football.  Canada and Sullivan will know how well each QB played and is ready for regular season duties. Versus how much the QBs have been improvising against non-starters on defense.

Haskins should be given a chance to play with and against 1st string players to get a better assessment of where he is (just like a bunch of fans thought of Dobbs a week ago).

To this point in his career, Rudolph has not lived up to his potential. I thought he looked good against the Jets in 2019, before getting injured. I also thought he looked good against the Browns in the last game of this prior season, a game the Browns had to win and the Steelers sat a bunch of starters. Rudolph came within a non-PI call on a 2 point conversion of pulling that win off.

The same can be applied to Haskins in Washington.  He had his moments, both good and probably more bad.

Dobbs is who he is, the guy who couldn't beat out Rudolph or The Duck and was cut.

We're all lobbying for one player over another to win a job we hope we never have to see them perform in the regular season.

This is a good point. Ultimately the best end result is we don't need to use the back up and the coaches are able to pull the best out of what we have despite who we may personally be pulling for. I think as fans we get our own favorites and make personal assessments as to who we feel is best for the job. We are fans and that is allowed. I was strongly in favor of Duck in the past because I loved the story, but reality is he was an emergency sort of option.

I think Haskins makes the team over Dobbs. I am not sure he is elevated all the way to 2. He needs to play with and against more starting caliber players. One thing we have seen the past few years is there have been some surprises comes out of preseason at the QB position. That being the case I wouldn't be surprised if Haskins did make 2. It also wouldn't completely surprise me if Rudolph goes the route of Landry Jones and we go Haskins and Dobbs although I think that scenario a lot less likely.

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 9:37 pm

Right now Haskins is the 2nd best QB on the roster. Rudolph or Dobbs would be 3rd. Certainly not worth keeping Rudolph though unless he's #2. Trade him and keep Doobs.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 11:23 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
Right now Haskins is the 2nd best QB on the roster.  Rudolph or Dobbs would be 3rd.  Certainly not worth keeping Rudolph though unless he's #2.  Trade him and keep Doobs.

Ray Fittipaldo had his 1st projected 53 man roster today at Post Gazette. Here is what he said for QB:

Quote :
Quarterbacks (3): Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins.

Breakdown: Haskins is pushing for the backup job, which could drastically change things if he wins that competition. Two years ago, the Steelers traded Josh Dobbs for a fifth-round pick. Could they trade Dobbs again? Or, if Haskins is elevated to the backup job, might the Steelers get a good return for Rudolph?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/08/16/Pittsburgh-Steelers-53-man-roster-projection-Ben-Roethlisberger-Dwayne-Haskins-Mason-Rudolph-Najee-Harris/stories/202108160056

I tend to agree with this thinking. If Rudolph stays as the back up I think Dobbs is gone. If Haskins would get back up maybe Rudolph would be traded and we keep Dobbs at 3. Losing Rudolph's contract would pay for the addition of Schobert.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 3:33 am

@Great Randino wrote:

Playing with the first team is accurate but also inaccurate. His offensive line has been a bit makeshift, definitely had a better unit blocking for him than in the first game but only a few starters have seen snaps. Chuks played some LT which he hasn't really done yet in the NFL, and he had Kendrick Green at Center and he's a rookie. LG is still a position in question (I still think it's Dotson's job). They are still dealing with some minor injuries and the full on starting unit has yet to be established, so I'll give Mason a bit of a break based on that.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 5:33 am

Honestly at this point I'm more concerned with our DBs than our QBs. If we leave the middle wide open and let teams run all over us our offense will need to put up some serious points. I keep asking myself why the secondary isn't playing up closer to the line so they can bump? I think Schoebert will be an upgrade and hopefully can clog up the middle on running plays.
Getting back to the QBs I think we should shop Rudolph and I agree that the heir apparent is not on the roster. I do think at this point Dobbs with his ability to scramble and his intellect is the closest to filling the void should Ben hangem' up after the season. I didn't watch the Philly game so I admit I could be wrong about all of this. Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 1f601
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hall of Fame Game
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: