Steelers Xtreme Forum


 
HomeHall of Fame Game - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

 

 Hall of Fame Game

Go down 
+7
jak341
IowaSteeler927
SteelerFreak58
effyou515
kirklandrules
vasteeler
Great Randino
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Posts : 4489
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 5:56 am

@solardave wrote:
Honestly at this point I'm more concerned with our DBs than our QBs. If we leave the middle wide open and let teams run all over us our offense will need to put up some serious points. I keep asking myself why the secondary isn't playing up closer to the line so they can bump? I think Schoebert will be an upgrade and hopefully can clog up the middle on running plays.
Getting back to the QBs I think we should shop Rudolph and I agree that the heir apparent is not on the roster. I do think at this point Dobbs with his ability to scramble and his intellect is the closest to filling the void should Ben hangem' up after the season. I didn't watch the Philly game so I admit I could be wrong about all of this. Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 1f601

I'm honestly fairly comfortable with our DB situation. Haden is solid, Sutton has been solid, the only real questions for me are the other DBs which I'm guessing will be Brooks/Pierre. I'm no too worried about Pierre, he's been flashing that he can play since last season, but I know they want Brooks to take over that Mike Hilton kind of role. Remains to be seen if he can do that, Mike Hilton was a highly underappreciated player IMO.

In regards to Rudolph and Haskins, I am pretty down on Rudolph right now. The guy just hasn't impressed me much. As for Haskins I think he's got a glimmer of hope. The dude has talent, and he's actually been playing pretty well so far both in camp, and he was impressive in the preseason game against the Eagles. I'm just wary of what we've seen from him in the past with the WFT. If he can put things together mentally, and be a professional, I think he has a shot to take over the QB2 spot from Rudolph, and maybe even to take over from Ben eventually but only time will tell.

_________________
Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 PaKS9WC
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

Posts : 5331
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 9:03 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
Honestly at this point I'm more concerned with our DBs than our QBs. If we leave the middle wide open and let teams run all over us our offense will need to put up some serious points. I keep asking myself why the secondary isn't playing up closer to the line so they can bump? I think Schoebert will be an upgrade and hopefully can clog up the middle on running plays.
Getting back to the QBs I think we should shop Rudolph and I agree that the heir apparent is not on the roster. I do think at this point Dobbs with his ability to scramble and his intellect is the closest to filling the void should Ben hangem' up after the season. I didn't watch the Philly game so I admit I could be wrong about all of this. Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 1f601

I'm honestly fairly comfortable with our DB situation. Haden is solid, Sutton has been solid, the only real questions for me are the other DBs which I'm guessing will be Brooks/Pierre. I'm no too worried about Pierre, he's been flashing that he can play since last season, but I know they want Brooks to take over that Mike Hilton kind of role. Remains to be seen if he can do that, Mike Hilton was a highly underappreciated player IMO.

In regards to Rudolph and Haskins, I am pretty down on Rudolph right now. The guy just hasn't impressed me much. As for Haskins I think he's got a glimmer of hope. The dude has talent, and he's actually been playing pretty well so far both in camp, and he was impressive in the preseason game against the Eagles. I'm just wary of what we've seen from him in the past with the WFT. If he can put things together mentally, and be a professional, I think he has a shot to take over the QB2 spot from Rudolph, and maybe even to take over from Ben eventually but only time will tell.

I can't argue with anything you said. What worries me is Haden misses time due to injury. It's been a part of his bio and he isn't getting any younger. I hope you're right as far as backups are concerned.
Rudolph is a statue in the backfield although I did see him step up into the pocket in the HOF game. I really thought the combo of him and Washington were going to pick up where they left off as college team mates but that clearly hasn't happened. In today's NFL you need a QB who can at least be mobile and Rudolph doesn't seem to be capable. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Posts : 1765
Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Riiiiight heeeere

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 11:44 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
To my count, the offense, with Rudolph on the field, has scored exactly zero points.

Maybe I missed a FG somewhere but....

Ultimately, I don't care what his stats are and neither should anyone else.  He's been playing with the first team and they Can't Score.  To me that a damming sign that its time to move on from him.

Haskins looked great.  He needs time with the first string.  He was definitely the best QB on the field.

Playing with the first team is accurate but also inaccurate. His offensive line has been a bit makeshift, definitely had a better unit blocking for him than in the first game but only a few starters have seen snaps. Chuks played some LT which he hasn't really done yet in the NFL, and he had Kendrick Green at Center and he's a rookie. LG is still a position in question (I still think it's Dotson's job). They are still dealing with some minor injuries and the full on starting unit has yet to be established, so I'll give Mason a bit of a break based on that.

Here's a decent analysis of the blocking during that Eagles game by BTSC. Dan Moore looks really good for a rookie and Dotson appears to have a chip on his shoulder. Can't wait to see how this pulls together during the regular season.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Posts : 1945
Join date : 2011-04-08

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 7:24 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
To my count, the offense, with Rudolph on the field, has scored exactly zero points.

Maybe I missed a FG somewhere but....

Ultimately, I don't care what his stats are and neither should anyone else.  He's been playing with the first team and they Can't Score.  To me that a damming sign that its time to move on from him.

Haskins looked great.  He needs time with the first string.  He was definitely the best QB on the field.

Playing with the first team is accurate but also inaccurate. His offensive line has been a bit makeshift, definitely had a better unit blocking for him than in the first game but only a few starters have seen snaps. Chuks played some LT which he hasn't really done yet in the NFL, and he had Kendrick Green at Center and he's a rookie. LG is still a position in question (I still think it's Dotson's job). They are still dealing with some minor injuries and the full on starting unit has yet to be established, so I'll give Mason a bit of a break based on that.

Here's a decent analysis of the blocking during that Eagles game by BTSC. Dan Moore looks really good for a rookie and Dotson appears to have a chip on his shoulder. Can't wait to see how this pulls together during the regular season.

i have little faith tomlin will give the job to the right guy. dotson was clearly better than decastro and feiler last year, yet was sent back to the bench in favor of decastro. tomlin tends to favor seniority over talent. this also applies to his roster decisions. how else does dan McCullers stay on the roster for 5 years ? Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 2087824411

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino



Posts : 1012
Join date : 2018-08-31

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 8:43 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
To my count, the offense, with Rudolph on the field, has scored exactly zero points.

Maybe I missed a FG somewhere but....

Ultimately, I don't care what his stats are and neither should anyone else.  He's been playing with the first team and they Can't Score.  To me that a damming sign that its time to move on from him.

Haskins looked great.  He needs time with the first string.  He was definitely the best QB on the field.

Playing with the first team is accurate but also inaccurate. His offensive line has been a bit makeshift, definitely had a better unit blocking for him than in the first game but only a few starters have seen snaps. Chuks played some LT which he hasn't really done yet in the NFL, and he had Kendrick Green at Center and he's a rookie. LG is still a position in question (I still think it's Dotson's job). They are still dealing with some minor injuries and the full on starting unit has yet to be established, so I'll give Mason a bit of a break based on that.

Here's a decent analysis of the blocking during that Eagles game by BTSC. Dan Moore looks really good for a rookie and Dotson appears to have a chip on his shoulder. Can't wait to see how this pulls together during the regular season.

In all fairness....it really doesn't matter in regard to Rudolph. First, is it a good idea to have a QB whose feet are stuck in concrete? Especially with our line, and the reality that there will be issues. Rudolph is easily the least mobile of the three (No, I'm not counting Ben in that, but he's always had a good feel for pressure).

Next, I return to my previous point: when distance increases and things break down (or - 3rd downs) - he just can't get it done. . Regardless of how we got to a 3rd down and distance, a QB has to be able to make something happen. He just is not capable.

Even when Dobbs is inconsistent with his throws, he can make some things happen with his mobility.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Posts : 1765
Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Riiiiight heeeere

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2021 12:58 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
To my count, the offense, with Rudolph on the field, has scored exactly zero points.

Maybe I missed a FG somewhere but....

Ultimately, I don't care what his stats are and neither should anyone else.  He's been playing with the first team and they Can't Score.  To me that a damming sign that its time to move on from him.

Haskins looked great.  He needs time with the first string.  He was definitely the best QB on the field.

Playing with the first team is accurate but also inaccurate. His offensive line has been a bit makeshift, definitely had a better unit blocking for him than in the first game but only a few starters have seen snaps. Chuks played some LT which he hasn't really done yet in the NFL, and he had Kendrick Green at Center and he's a rookie. LG is still a position in question (I still think it's Dotson's job). They are still dealing with some minor injuries and the full on starting unit has yet to be established, so I'll give Mason a bit of a break based on that.

Here's a decent analysis of the blocking during that Eagles game by BTSC. Dan Moore looks really good for a rookie and Dotson appears to have a chip on his shoulder. Can't wait to see how this pulls together during the regular season.

i have little faith tomlin will give the job to the right guy. dotson was clearly better than decastro and feiler last year, yet was sent back to the bench in favor of decastro. tomlin tends to favor seniority over talent. this also applies to his roster decisions. how else does dan McCullers stay on the roster for 5 years ? Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 2087824411

Agree that Dotson was better than DeCastro and Feiler last year, especially late in the season. I thought Feiler was an outstanding right tackle and maybe the shift to left guard wasn't in his bag. I was hoping Dotson would be in that starting lineup earlier last season. What I don't know is if the coaches lacked faith in his understanding of the playbook??? If a guard blows his assignment, the play goes to hell in a hurry. But it does look like he's lined up to be the starting LG this season. This article on BTSC has a section halfway down that details, based on lineups in yesterday's practice, who the starters appear to be.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Posts : 1263
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 3:59 am

@Great Randino wrote:


In all fairness....it really doesn't matter in regard to Rudolph.  First, is it a good idea to have a QB whose feet are stuck in concrete?  Especially with our line, and the reality that there will be issues.  Rudolph is easily the least mobile of the three (No, I'm not counting Ben in that, but he's always had a good feel for pressure).  

Next, I return to my previous point:  when distance increases and things break down (or - 3rd downs) - he just can't get it done.  .  Regardless of how we got to a 3rd down and distance, a QB has to be able to make something happen.  He just is not capable.

Even when Dobbs is inconsistent with his throws, he can make some things happen with his mobility.

I understand what you're saying and I have the same feeling as you about Rudolph, however the Browns game at the end of last season tells us otherwise. Rudolph was 8/10 on 3rd and 4th downs, 140 yards and 2 TD's, with a 28-yard TD pass on 4th and 10, a 26-yard pass on 3rd and 9 and a 9-yard pass on 3rd and 8. And that's in a real game with first team against first team in the most important game for the opponent in 20 years.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-mason-rudolph-takes-big-step-forward-in-start-vs-browns/

I don't like his style either, but after that game he deserves another shot.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Posts : 4489
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 8:27 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
To my count, the offense, with Rudolph on the field, has scored exactly zero points.

Maybe I missed a FG somewhere but....

Ultimately, I don't care what his stats are and neither should anyone else.  He's been playing with the first team and they Can't Score.  To me that a damming sign that its time to move on from him.

Haskins looked great.  He needs time with the first string.  He was definitely the best QB on the field.

Playing with the first team is accurate but also inaccurate. His offensive line has been a bit makeshift, definitely had a better unit blocking for him than in the first game but only a few starters have seen snaps. Chuks played some LT which he hasn't really done yet in the NFL, and he had Kendrick Green at Center and he's a rookie. LG is still a position in question (I still think it's Dotson's job). They are still dealing with some minor injuries and the full on starting unit has yet to be established, so I'll give Mason a bit of a break based on that.

Here's a decent analysis of the blocking during that Eagles game by BTSC. Dan Moore looks really good for a rookie and Dotson appears to have a chip on his shoulder. Can't wait to see how this pulls together during the regular season.

i have little faith tomlin will give the job to the right guy. dotson was clearly better than decastro and feiler last year, yet was sent back to the bench in favor of decastro. tomlin tends to favor seniority over talent. this also applies to his roster decisions. how else does dan McCullers stay on the roster for 5 years ? Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 2087824411

That particular statement sounds like a certain Iowa Hawkeyes head football coach.... Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 1797695198

_________________
Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 PaKS9WC
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Great Randino



Posts : 1012
Join date : 2018-08-31

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 11:24 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:


In all fairness....it really doesn't matter in regard to Rudolph.  First, is it a good idea to have a QB whose feet are stuck in concrete?  Especially with our line, and the reality that there will be issues.  Rudolph is easily the least mobile of the three (No, I'm not counting Ben in that, but he's always had a good feel for pressure).  

Next, I return to my previous point:  when distance increases and things break down (or - 3rd downs) - he just can't get it done.  .  Regardless of how we got to a 3rd down and distance, a QB has to be able to make something happen.  He just is not capable.

Even when Dobbs is inconsistent with his throws, he can make some things happen with his mobility.

I understand what you're saying and I have the same feeling as you about Rudolph, however the Browns game at the end of last season tells us otherwise. Rudolph was 8/10 on 3rd and 4th downs, 140 yards and 2 TD's, with a 28-yard TD pass on 4th and 10, a 26-yard pass on 3rd and 9 and a 9-yard pass on 3rd and 8. And that's in a real game with first team against first team in the most important game for the opponent in 20 years.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-mason-rudolph-takes-big-step-forward-in-start-vs-browns/

I don't like his style either, but after that game he deserves another shot.


Point well taken.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Posts : 1945
Join date : 2011-04-08

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 8:20 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:
To my count, the offense, with Rudolph on the field, has scored exactly zero points.

Maybe I missed a FG somewhere but....

Ultimately, I don't care what his stats are and neither should anyone else.  He's been playing with the first team and they Can't Score.  To me that a damming sign that its time to move on from him.

Haskins looked great.  He needs time with the first string.  He was definitely the best QB on the field.

Playing with the first team is accurate but also inaccurate. His offensive line has been a bit makeshift, definitely had a better unit blocking for him than in the first game but only a few starters have seen snaps. Chuks played some LT which he hasn't really done yet in the NFL, and he had Kendrick Green at Center and he's a rookie. LG is still a position in question (I still think it's Dotson's job). They are still dealing with some minor injuries and the full on starting unit has yet to be established, so I'll give Mason a bit of a break based on that.

Here's a decent analysis of the blocking during that Eagles game by BTSC. Dan Moore looks really good for a rookie and Dotson appears to have a chip on his shoulder. Can't wait to see how this pulls together during the regular season.



i have little faith tomlin will give the job to the right guy. dotson was clearly better than decastro and feiler last year, yet was sent back to the bench in favor of decastro. tomlin tends to favor seniority over talent. this also applies to his roster decisions. how else does dan McCullers stay on the roster for 5 years ? Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 2087824411

Agree that Dotson was better than DeCastro and Feiler last year, especially late in the season. I thought Feiler was an outstanding right tackle and maybe the shift to left guard wasn't in his bag. I was hoping Dotson would be in that starting lineup earlier last season. What I don't know is if the coaches lacked faith in his understanding of the playbook??? If a guard blows his assignment, the play goes to hell in a hurry. But it does look like he's lined up to be the starting LG this season. This article on BTSC has a section halfway down that details, based on lineups in yesterday's practice, who the starters appear to be.



actually i was thinking of dan moore. dotson last year was just another classic example of how tomlin favors vets. i see little difference in getting your assignment wrong and getting it right and getting your ass kicked. the results are the same.Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 2087824411   the difference is you can learn from your mistakes.
i spent most of my football playing days at guard so im aware of what happens when you fuck up ... No
one of my most embarrassing moments was colliding with the fullback while pulling on a trap play because i didnt get off the snap quick enough .. Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 1505004552
my teammates busted my balls for days over it. when i would see the fullback in the hall at school he would yell look out flatten himself up against the wall. Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 1549491426


Last edited by Master_Of_Puppets on Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Posts : 1945
Join date : 2011-04-08

Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 8:34 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
@Great Randino wrote:


In all fairness....it really doesn't matter in regard to Rudolph.  First, is it a good idea to have a QB whose feet are stuck in concrete?  Especially with our line, and the reality that there will be issues.  Rudolph is easily the least mobile of the three (No, I'm not counting Ben in that, but he's always had a good feel for pressure).  

Next, I return to my previous point:  when distance increases and things break down (or - 3rd downs) - he just can't get it done.  .  Regardless of how we got to a 3rd down and distance, a QB has to be able to make something happen.  He just is not capable.

Even when Dobbs is inconsistent with his throws, he can make some things happen with his mobility.

I understand what you're saying and I have the same feeling as you about Rudolph, however the Browns game at the end of last season tells us otherwise. Rudolph was 8/10 on 3rd and 4th downs, 140 yards and 2 TD's, with a 28-yard TD pass on 4th and 10, a 26-yard pass on 3rd and 9 and a 9-yard pass on 3rd and 8. And that's in a real game with first team against first team in the most important game for the opponent in 20 years.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-mason-rudolph-takes-big-step-forward-in-start-vs-browns/

I don't like his style either, but after that game he deserves another shot.


it seems people have forgotten that game despite the old saying "your only as good as your last game ".
Rudolf was far from perfect in that game but he looked respectable and showed what he could do when the playbook was opened up to him. i bet rudolf would have looked a lot different in arians down field attack offense compared to fichtners play it safe dink and dunk bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame Game   Hall of Fame Game - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Hall of Fame Game
Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: