Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWashington wants out Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Washington wants out

Go down 
+6
LambertWardSteel
Stella Nation
SteelerFreak58
solardave
Wallace108
jak341
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jak341

jak341

Washington wants out Empty
PostSubject: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyFri Aug 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Has requested a trade. Lack of playing time as reason.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/06/steelers-wr-james-washington-wants-out/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyFri Aug 06, 2021 11:55 pm

Can't blame him. I've always felt he should be on the field more than he is.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

effyou515 and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 4:41 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
Can't blame him. I've always felt he should be on the field more than he is.

When everyone else was dropping balls all he did was catch everything his way. He'll go somewhere else and be a serious threat at the very least. Washington wants out 2913999526

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 8:59 am

Not sure why they still out in Johnson more then him. Washington has always made the tough catches and plays. Hope the whole thing is just rumors.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 11:54 am

Fake news it seems.

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 2:08 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
Fake news it seems.

There is an article at Post Gazette saying too that he hasn't requested trade. Here is a quote from Tomlin in the article:

Quote :
“He has not,” Tomlin said following practice when asked if Washington has expressed any dissatisfaction or requested a trade. “Those unnamed sources, we don’t react to or respond to. James has been great here, working, and having a good camp.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/08/07/james-washington-steelers-trade-stephon-tuitt-mike-tomlin-mathew-sexton-matt-canada/stories/202108070047

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Personally I'd trade Diontae Johnson first. A wideout that can't catch is like a car that won't start.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 11:58 pm

This seems to have died. Hopefully he isn't going anywhere. WR is probably the deepest position on the team with Washington

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:24 am

This kind of stuff is why I can't stand the media, just blatantly make shit up and try to stir up drama where there is none. Journalistic integrity would be nice.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:55 pm

This Q&A was in Gerry Dulac's chat today at Pitts Post Gazette:

Quote :
Ryan James: Good morning Gerry! Thanks for the chats. Do you buy into the JW rumors on a trade? Steelers deny, but that had to come from somewhere right?
Gerry Dulac: I do not because I have been told by a person who is close to James Washington that his request to be traded is totally not true. But I get your premise

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/08/11/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-08-11-21/stories/202108110113

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 5:22 pm

There are 3 possibilities here ...

1. Schefter made it up.
2. Schefter was given bad information.
3. Someone leaked something they weren't supposed to.

I don't have any inside knowledge about what happened here, but what I do know is that when someone wants to bury a story, especially in sports, one way to do it is to flat-out deny it and let fans attack the journalist for "making things up."

Have sports reporters made things up in the past? Unfortnately, yes. Is it common? No. The quickest way to lose access, and your career, is to make something up just to sell papers or get clicks.

It's always possible Schefter was given bad information. It happens. And sometimes reporters misinterpret the information they're given.

But most times the simplest answer is the correct one. In this case, Washington probably complained and said he wants traded. Someone told Schefter. The story gets out. Everyone gets angry. The team and Washington deny it so the story goes away and they can deal with it privately.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

LambertWardSteel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 7:48 pm

My guess? Its the "smoke-fire" thing. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth to it. I have absolutely no issue with Washington if it is true. He has repeatedly proven to have the surest hands on the team, and yet he get very few opportunities. In my opinion they should be doing more to get the ball to him.

Hopefully we hold on to him and give him a chance to shine.

Wallace108 likes this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 12:10 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
There are 3 possibilities here ...

1. Schefter made it up.
2. Schefter was given bad information.
3. Someone leaked something they weren't supposed to.

I don't have any inside knowledge about what happened here, but what I do know is that when someone wants to bury a story, especially in sports, one way to do it is to flat-out deny it and let fans attack the journalist for "making things up."

Have sports reporters made things up in the past? Unfortnately, yes. Is it common? No. The quickest way to lose access, and your career, is to make something up just to sell papers or get clicks.

It's always possible Schefter was given bad information. It happens. And sometimes reporters misinterpret the information they're given.

But most times the simplest answer is the correct one. In this case, Washington probably complained and said he wants traded. Someone told Schefter. The story gets out. Everyone gets angry. The team and Washington deny it so the story goes away and they can deal with it privately.

Occam's razor Washington wants out 2981382511 I don't like Schefter but it seems unlikely he'd fabricate a story about someone as deep on the depth chart as Washington. James may have said something to someone about being used little, but didn't say he wanted traded, and it was twisted by the time Schefter sunk his teeth into it. Or, possibly he was upset enough to request trade but Tomlin/management and his agent settled things down. Dulac's response in the chat seemed to indicate he had some inside info and there was no truth. Hopefully he is correct because we are better off having Washington this year.

Wallace108 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 3:05 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
I don't like Schefter but it seems unlikely he'd fabricate a story about someone as deep on the depth chart as Washington.

Exactly. When you're part of the national media, you don't have a lot to gain by making up something about the No. 4 receiver on a team. Few people outside of Pittsburgh care.

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
James may have said something to someone about being used little, but didn't say he wanted traded, and it was twisted by the time Schefter sunk his teeth into it. Or, possibly he was upset enough to request trade but Tomlin/management and his agent settled things down.

We'll likely never know what was said and to whom, which makes this discussion both pointless and entertaining.  Washington wants out 184121345

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
Dulac's response in the chat seemed to indicate he had some inside info and there was no truth. Hopefully he is correct because we are better off having Washington this year.

Local reporters and the teams they cover have a unique relationship. It's a balancing act between doing your job as a reporter and not burning bridges. I've worked with quite a few sports reporters over the past two decades, and all of them knew stuff that never got published for various reasons. One reason is that sometimes a story isn't worth burning a bridge. Dulac has covered the Steelers for a long time. He knows how to play the game.

Now I'm interested in exactly what Dulac said in the chat. If, like you mentioned, he essentially said, "I've got inside info and there's no truth to the story," then my question is this: What is that info? You're a reporter, so why don't you report it? Like I said ... bridges.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 3:23 am

I see JW as a Hines type WR. Tough with good hands and willing to do whatever it takes to support a winning team. Why he doesn't see more time on the field baffles me. Maybe this will change this year. If it were up to me I'd shop Johnson for a decent draft pick. Line Ju Ju and Claypool up wide and let JW handle the slot.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 3:53 am

Some of these guys have to know that the information they're getting is questionable though, and honestly don't report these kinds of things without talking to the player first. It's one thing if you have him on video saying it, or he told you directly, but to take something someone else says and just roll with the hearsay, that's weak in my book.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 4:59 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Some of these guys have to know that the information they're getting is questionable though, and honestly don't report these kinds of things without talking to the player first. It's one thing if you have him on video saying it, or he told you directly, but to take something someone else says and just roll with the hearsay, that's weak in my book.
thats the problem with media today...well besides the flat out fabricated news and gaslighting. they just run a story without verifying anything. real reporters are essentially a thing of the past. no more investigative reporters. the closes thing to that now would be james o'keefe at project veritas.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 5:54 am

I don't know where you guys get that Washington has great hands? He definitely hasn't. In fact, he has one of the worst hands on the team. This is the drop rate % of last year:

It's not because he made two contested catches that he's all of a sudden an all-world WR. He isn't. He doesn't have reliable hands, he isn't great at creating separation and he has a rather small route tree.

vasteeler and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 7:14 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
I don't know where you guys get that Washington has great hands? He definitely hasn't. In fact, he has one of the worst hands on the team. This is the drop rate % of last year:

It's not because he made two contested catches that he's all of a sudden an all-world WR. He isn't. He doesn't have reliable hands, he isn't great at creating separation and he has a rather small route tree.

Washington wants out 611739232 Washington wants out 1797695198 I stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 11:17 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

If that was the standard, there would be very little news. As a reporter/editor, you have to determine the credibility of the source. What often happens is that a source provides accurate info but then clams up, and even denies being the source and attacks the reporter to protect their own ass.

I don't know what happened in this situation, and it could very well be the case that Schefter got it wrong, but I'm going to believe the report was accurate until I learn otherwise.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 11:29 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
thats the problem with media today...well besides the flat out fabricated news and gaslighting. they just run a story without verifying anything. real reporters are essentially a thing of the past. no more investigative reporters. the closes thing to that now would be james o'keefe at project veritas.

Sports reporting and news reporting are different animals. There's been a huge shift on the news side in recent years. Far too many journalists have become activist journalists. It's no longer just about reporting the facts. Now it's about shaping a narrative. And if the facts get in the way of that narrative, well then you just ignore those facts or manipulate them to fit the narrative.

That hasn't been the case with sports reporting. It really hasn't changed all that much, except when telling human interest stories. You'll see a lot of wokeness in those stories. But as far as reporting on the nuts and bolts of sports, not much has changed.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 pm

In rereading my ramblings, I could have stated things better.

I do want to clear up my comment regarding sources. You should have more than one. If your mother tells you she loves you, get a second source. But covering sports isn't exactly the same as covering hard news. On the local level, relationships are built, and over time reporters can develop "team insiders," players, personnel, etc. who feed them information. Every story doesn't require a deep investigation.

With the Washington story, there are a lot of possible scenarios, including Schefter being given bad information from an unreliable source and he didn't seek to verify it.

The only scenario I'll rule out is that he made it up. Someone told him that Washington wants to be traded.

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 1:54 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
In rereading my ramblings, I could have stated things better.

I do want to clear up my comment regarding sources. You should have more than one. If your mother tells you she loves you, get a second source. But covering sports isn't exactly the same as covering hard news. On the local level, relationships are built, and over time reporters can develop "team insiders," players, personnel, etc. who feed them information. Every story doesn't require a deep investigation.

With the Washington story, there are a lot of possible scenarios, including Schefter being given bad information from an unreliable source and he didn't seek to verify it.

The only scenario I'll rule out is that he made it up. Someone told him that Washington wants to be traded.

"where there's smoke there is fire"....Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 2:58 am

@Stella Nation wrote:

the others dropping balls still stand out in my mind, but not washington...odd Washington wants out 2829330259
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out EmptyWed Aug 18, 2021 12:49 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

the others dropping balls still stand out in my mind, but not washington...odd Washington wants out 2829330259

Most of the "drops" that I think of when it comes to Washington are him trying to make plays on poorly thrown balls. 1 comes to mind during the preseason game against the Eagles. It was thrown way behind him and he tried his best to make the catch anyway, but dropped it. I put that more on the quarterback than him. Other ones that I think of over the last couple of seasons are similar, either overthrown balls that he is diving for and hit off of his hands, or balls thrown behind him. I don't recall many that were like the ones that Johnson and Ebron dropped that hit them squarely in the hands and they just dropped.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Washington wants out   Washington wants out Empty

Back to top Go down

Washington wants out
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: