Steelers Xtreme Forum

Homethe 53 - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

the 53

Go down 
+5
solardave
JPPT1974
LambertWardSteel
Great Randino
Master_Of_Puppets
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2021 2:57 am

Sounds like Moore is going to possibly be playing LT and Chuks at RT since Banner was just placed on IR.

I think I like Moore better at LT than Chuks to be quite honest. Banner can't seem to stay healthy, so Chuks at RT might not be a bad thing either.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
LambertWardSteel

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2021 7:33 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Sounds like Moore is going to possibly be playing LT and Chuks at RT since Banner was just placed on IR.

I think I like Moore better at LT than Chuks to be quite honest. Banner can't seem to stay healthy, so Chuks at RT might not be a bad thing either.

With Moore starting season playing LT, we now have him Harris, Freiermuth, Green, and Harvin from the draft either starting or having prominent roles going into the season.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2021 11:03 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

With Moore starting season playing LT, we now have him Harris, Freiermuth, Green, and Harvin from the draft either starting or having prominent roles going into the season.
That might not be a good thing, having to rely on so many rookies starting right away. Very few are ready their first season.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2021 4:59 pm

@Great Randino wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

That might not be a good thing, having to rely on so many rookies starting right away.  Very few are ready their first season.

Very true especially with the OL. That said the team is getting younger, and hopefully better, if these guys work out. I think Harris and Harvin are ready, Freiermuth likely will be worked in behind Ebron but I think he ends up with more playing time as season goes on.

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Sources: Pittsburgh Steelers acquire CB Ahkello Witherspoon from Seattle Seahawks

PITTSBURGH -- After an initial 53-man roster that was short on cornerbacks, the Pittsburgh Steelers have fortified the position by acquiring Ahkello Witherspoon in a trade with the Seattle Seahawks, sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

Seattle gets a fifth-round pick in 2023 in return.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32140385/source-pittsburgh-steelers-acquire-cb-ahkello-witherspoon-seattle-seahawks

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 1:59 pm

More about him from Post Gazette article announcing the trade.

Quote :
Witherspoon, who also has special teams experience, played nearly every snap for San Francisco over the final three weeks last year. Over the course of the season, he allowed just an 82.4 passer rating, 9.3 yards per completion and 5.5 yards per target, according to Pro Football Reference’s advanced stats. He carries a $2.75 million salary cap number in 2021, but the Seahawks added a void year that will count for $1.25 million in 2022. The Steelers, who have nearly $11.5 million in cap space, per overthecap.com, could also restructure Witherspoon’s deal.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/09/03/Reports-Steelers-trade-for-cornerback-Ahkello-Witherspoon/stories/202109030120

effyou515

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 6:07 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
More about him from Post Gazette article announcing the trade.

Quote :
Witherspoon, who also has special teams experience, played nearly every snap for San Francisco over the final three weeks last year. Over the course of the season, he allowed just an 82.4 passer rating, 9.3 yards per completion and 5.5 yards per target, according to Pro Football Reference’s advanced stats. He carries a $2.75 million salary cap number in 2021, but the Seahawks added a void year that will count for $1.25 million in 2022. The Steelers, who have nearly $11.5 million in cap space, per overthecap.com, could also restructure Witherspoon’s deal.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/09/03/Reports-Steelers-trade-for-cornerback-Ahkello-Witherspoon/stories/202109030120

Steelers front office has been working overtime on the defensive backfield looks like Sutton is going to be the full time slot guy.

coach: "hit her in the dick"

LambertWardSteel likes this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 6:53 pm

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 7:31 pm

@effyou515 wrote:

Thanks for posting...he doesn't sound bad from this. A 6'3" CB sounds very good. The D potentially could be better than last year if we can get Watt signed and Tuitt back.

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 9:16 pm

https://triblive.com/sports/6-days-before-season-opener-t-j-watt-remains-out-of-team-drills-at-steelers-practice/

6 days before season opener, T.J. Watt remains out of team drills at Steelers practice

Quote :
Watt’s extension is expected to value more than $100 million over at least four seasons, making him the NFL’s highest-paid defensive player and highest-paid player in Steelers history. The extent of the guaranteed money is a likely sticking point.

if l remember right he wants a 100% guaranteed contract.

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 12:05 am

@effyou515 wrote:
https://triblive.com/sports/6-days-before-season-opener-t-j-watt-remains-out-of-team-drills-at-steelers-practice/

6 days before season opener, T.J. Watt remains out of team drills at Steelers practice

Quote :
Watt’s extension is expected to value more than $100 million over at least four seasons, making him the NFL’s highest-paid defensive player and highest-paid player in Steelers history. The extent of the guaranteed money is a likely sticking point.

if l remember right he wants a 100% guaranteed contract.

I think they get him signed this week. I was reading an article at Post Gazette where they said Troy signed one day before season one year.

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 12:09 am

From an article at Post Gazette. With Harvin it's technically 5...

Quote :
Four rookies in line to start

Coach Mike Tomlin updated his depth chart for the first time since July, and the first four members of the 2021 draft class are listed as starters.

First-round pick Najee Harris will start at running back while third-round pick Kendrick Green will start at center and fourth-round pick Dan Moore at left tackle. Second-round pick Pat Freiermuth is listed as a co-starter alongside veteran Eric Ebron.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/09/06/T-J-Watt-remains-unsigned-and-his-practice-status-remains-the-same-Steelers-outside-linebacker/stories/202109060057

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 12:39 am

FWIW this article at ESPN predicts Browns 12-5, Steelers 9-8, Rats 7-10.

Simulating the 2021 NFL season: Projecting 285 games, biggest storylines and a Super Bowl winner

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32133086/simulating-2021-nfl-season-projecting-285-games-biggest-storylines-super-bowl-winner

effyou515

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 11:40 pm

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-notes-mike-tomlin-unfazed-about-possibly-counting-on-5-rookies-in-season-opener/

Steelers notes: Mike Tomlin unfazed about possibly counting on 5 rookies in season opener

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 4:47 am

Regarding TJ Watt and his contract situation... just pay the man! He's probably right there in the discussion with Aaron Donald as far as best Defensive Player in the NFL. He's been reliable, and consistently improved year after year. The defense feeds off of him. I know the Steelers don't like to pay a lot of guaranteed money up front in their contracts, but Watt is probably a guy they should make an exception for.

effyou515 and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 5:07 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Regarding TJ Watt and his contract situation... just pay the man! He's probably right there in the discussion with Aaron Donald as far as best Defensive Player in the NFL. He's been reliable, and consistently improved year after year. The defense feeds off of him. I know the Steelers don't like to pay a lot of guaranteed money up front in their contracts, but Watt is probably a guy they should make an exception for.  

Absolutely no argument here. the 53 - Page 2 1647293567

I think it'll happen in the next day or two.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 6:17 am

@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I hope so, I see some suggesting the Steelers should stick to their guns citing the fact they'll have so much cap space next season and basically saying they don't need to mortgage the team on one guy. I'd normally be of that mindset, as I respect the way that they've run this franchise over the years, but TJ is probably the one guy who I think they should shell out and pay the man what he's asking for. With this team trying to win right now at the end of Ben's career, it's put up, or shut up. We don't need the distraction of a holdout by our best defensive player.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 6:22 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I hope so, I see some suggesting the Steelers should stick to their guns citing the fact they'll have so much cap space next season and basically saying they don't need to mortgage the team on one guy. I'd normally be of that mindset, as I respect the way that they've run this franchise over the years, but TJ is probably the one guy who I think they should shell out and pay the man what he's asking for. With this team trying to win right now at the end of Ben's career, it's put up, or shut up. We don't need the distraction of a holdout by our best defensive player.

Right. TJ is a once in a generation type player. Like Troy was and should be signed now. Not signing him will destroy moral and the defense will suffer without him to say the least. "GIT ER DONE"

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 6:27 am

@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Right. TJ is a once in a generation type player. Like Troy was and should be signed now. Not signing him will destroy moral and the defense will suffer without him to say the least. "GIT ER DONE"

the 53 - Page 2 Giphy

effyou515, solardave and LambertWardSteel like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 1:12 pm

I joined the PTL club on this one. (Pay The Lad).

effyou515, solardave and IowaSteeler927 like this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 6:21 pm

@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

look at the QB pressure the 1st string defense had in the pre-season when in the game and Watt wasn't on the field, get Watt signed and turn the pass rush loose.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 12:52 pm

My original thought was to just pay the guy. However, Watt might be asking megabux right now ($25M/year). Maybe he's worth it. But if the Steelers wait until after the season and franchise him, they can always work out that megabux deal then. The Steelers save a year's salary cap hit and have one more season of potential injuries behind them before locking in something long term.

I should also have stated that Watt might be playing hardball. When negotiating a year in advance, there's more to gain for the player than the team. If Watts wants more than the $10M this year, he'll need to ensure there's something in it for the Steelers ... like a little less the following year(s) than what he'd get if he negotiates at the end of his contract (next offseason).
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 pm

Steelers Nation Radio just reported Watt signed a 4 year extension, with $80M guaranteed (so signed for the next 5 years). I think they said $112M overall. That's just over $22M a year (assuming the $10M he was due this season isn't getting added on top of that $112M).

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
Steelers Nation Radio just reported Watt signed a 4 year extension, with $80M guaranteed (so signed for the next 5 years). I think they said $112M overall. That's just over $22M a year (assuming the $10M he was due this season isn't getting added on top of that $112M).

Thanks for posting. The first I've heard this. Awesome he is signed now.

the 53 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the 53   the 53 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

the 53
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: