Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRaiders @ Steelers - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Raiders @ Steelers

Go down 
+5
kirklandrules
Great Randino
Shalieve5090
effyou515
solardave
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 5:26 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
That loss was all on the offense. The Raiders had the ball for 9 more minutes, which kept the D on the field for long periods of time. Notice in the 2nd half there was little pressure on Carr and he threw for over 250 yards. I get that Alualu and Watt were out, but that defense was playing against a 2nd string offensive line and still did have the legs to get pressure when the game was on the line.

Once again D Johnson sucked. Obvious he still doesn't know the playbook and giving up on a play that results in an INT is lazy at best.

Twice Claypool had inside position on deep routes and Ben throws deep to the outside ... not sure who's wrong or if Ben is just that inaccurate.

I'd love to see what drove Turner to blow a gasket. A man's that angry you have to wonder if he took a punch to the jibbs.
AGREE 100%. and it will only get worse as the season goes on. just like last year. at some point the defense just starts to think, whats the point ? Kirk I have a feeling that as the season goes on you will start agreeing with my philosophies about the roster and rebuilding... Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 5:43 pm

@Lokki wrote:
I know it's only week 2, but I am not impressed with Canada's offense at all yet.  Seems like more of the same.  

different OCs same QB.

coach: "hit her in the dick"
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 5:56 pm

back to reality?

like the o-linemen fire mentality think it's going to be a long year for the group.

coach: "hit her in the dick"

LambertWardSteel likes this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:06 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
back to reality?

like the o-linemen fire mentality think it's going to be a long year for the group.

I'm with you. The D not being so injured I think we win despite the way offense played. There are 15 more games. Hoping they can get things together.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:39 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
That loss was all on the offense. The Raiders had the ball for 9 more minutes, which kept the D on the field for long periods of time. Notice in the 2nd half there was little pressure on Carr and he threw for over 250 yards. I get that Alualu and Watt were out, but that defense was playing against a 2nd string offensive line and still did have the legs to get pressure when the game was on the line.

Once again D Johnson sucked. Obvious he still doesn't know the playbook and giving up on a play that results in an INT is lazy at best.

Twice Claypool had inside position on deep routes and Ben throws deep to the outside ... not sure who's wrong or if Ben is just that inaccurate.

I'd love to see what drove Turner to blow a gasket. A man's that angry you have to wonder if he took a punch to the jibbs.
AGREE 100%. and it will only get worse as the season goes on. just like last year. at some point the defense just starts to think, whats the point ? Kirk I have a feeling that as the season goes on you will start agreeing with my philosophies about the roster and rebuilding... Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 1797695198

Maybe, time will tell Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 3135543967

Or maybe by 2022 they have everything it takes to push for another SB with a squad of mostly young players. Ideally that young o-line grows during the season and they have enough wins to make a push for the playoffs. With the schedule loaded with quality opponents, the Steelers should do well (because they tend to lose to bad opponents) Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 8:11 pm

#7 not getting it done. Said it a few years back gonna say it again for those of you not listening. He is DONE. He cannot get this team to the playoffs let alone a SB. Tough season ahead but at least it will be evident that 7 needs to ride off into the sunset.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 8:13 pm

He should have kept throwing to #19. Ju Ju knows where to go on the field. Diontae looks lost most of the time.

Also Claypool can't seem to win contested challenges.

And yes, Ben needs all the help he can get. But its not all on him.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 3:29 am

MY observations. First off I muffed my prediction so we should FIRE me.
Canada's offense looks slightly less vanilla than Fitchner's.
D.Johnson can't find his ass with both hands he will be an up and down WR in this league at best.
Claypool needs to get humble and start working on strengthening his hands.
Harris looks like a slightly better version on Benny Snell so far.
The signing of Ingram looks even better right now but when your offense is not scoring points yourD will gets gassed. Way to many missed tackles in the secondary and since when do we put a ILB on a WR? I understand covering the TE but a WR? Twice Shobert got burned.
It's going to be a long season if the Oline doesn't mature and after 2 games I don't see any reason that they will.
Did anyone else notice Dobbs on the sideline in uniform? I thought he was on the practice squad.

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 3:59 am

@kirklandrules wrote:

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1439689012797640712
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 6:00 am

@solardave wrote:
D.Johnson can't find his ass with both hands he will be an up and down WR in this league at best.
The signing of Ingram looks even better right now but when your offense is not scoring points yourD will gets gassed. Way to many missed tackles in the secondary and since when do we put a ILB on a WR? I understand covering the TE but a WR? Twice Shobert got burned.
It's going to be a long season if the Oline doesn't mature and after 2 games I don't see any reason that they will.
Did anyone else notice Dobbs on the sideline in uniform? I thought he was on the practice squad.
now who would have guessed that a 1st round pick would look as bad as a 4th round pick running behind a shitty oline ? Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 2829330259 ..Shocked
it is almost as if olinemen make or break a running back ... Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 2087824411

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 am

@solardave wrote:
now who would have guessed that a 1st round pick would look as bad as a 4th round pick running behind a shitty oline ? Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 2829330259 ..Shocked
it is almost as if olinemen make or break a running back ... Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 2087824411

Yeah you're right but he was supposed to be a generational RB who could make his own way regardless of the Oline. I'm not seeing it. I'm not saying he's awful. Just not as advertised so far.

Stella Nation likes this post

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 9:00 am

@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:

Yeah you're right but he was supposed to be a generational RB who could make his own way regardless of the Oline. I'm not seeing it. I'm not saying he's awful. Just not as advertised so far.

I'll disagree with this. There is a clear difference between Najee and Snell. Najee had 3.8 yards/rush yesterday behind an O-line that has a ton of work ahead of it. He also had 43 yards receiving and a TD. Snell would not have scored that TD. Harris also had an awesome stiff-arm on Jonathan Abrams, who is one of the more physical safeties in the league.

I don't think Harris can make his own way regardless of the O-line, that's a very high expectation. There's one RB I've seen who could do that and Barry Sanders is long since retired. Hell, Emmitt Smith usually wasn't touched for 5 - 8 yards on his rushes. It's hard to see the value when 100 yard games aren't coming in. But given where this team is, he's making more of his attempts than the backs they've had for a while. Last season, the Steelers averaged 3.6 yards/carry and I would say that O-line is better than the O-line we've seen the past 2 games. The gamble for the Steelers here is that this young O-line will start to gel and only get better.

MOP and I have gone back and forth on the strategy of how this team could get better (prior to, during, and after the draft), which I think we both agree they needed a better running game to get there. For the 2021 draft, there were 3 approaches to doing this: 1) If the best RB is available in round 1, take him; 2) Take the best possible O-lineman; 3) Trade back and take extra players in the middle rounds (3-5).  I thought option 1 was best because the drop-off between the backs in round 1 and the rest of the draft was far greater than the drop off in O-linemen in round 1 and rounds 3 and 4. MOP (don't let me misspeak here) thought option 3 with FA signings would be best (I think he's saying stock up cap space to make big FA signings in 2022 for a push then).

As with last year, I'm more frustrated with the output of the players and not so much who is on the team or what plays are called. At the end of the day, I'm a firm believer the outcome of a game falls more on the players than anything else. Yes, I acknowledge coaching is huge and getting a team prepared to play is a big factor, as is who the front office brings onto the team. But every game brings an opportunity and usually the difference between winning and losing is what happens with the players between whistles. Last year everyone wanted Fitchner canned. Hell, I admitted he could have deserved it, but I really couldn't tell if his game plans stunk because the players were failing so poorly later in the season that I couldn't tell if the game plan was worth a damn: dropped balls, poor routes, inaccurate QB, etc (hard to game plan around shitty play).

Having been frustrated with the poor offensive play in the 1st two games this season, I'm optimistic the Steelers will improve. That O-line will only get better as they continue to play together and I believe in coach Klemm's ability to coach young linemen to perform (but don't expect miracles of overnight success). One thing that will help this line is to get Zach Banner back in. Chuks spent too much time picking himself up after plays. Banner is just a monster ... he made Turner look little when he was helping to contain his teammate on the sideline.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 11:16 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:

I'll disagree with this. There is a clear difference between Najee and Snell. Najee had 3.8 yards/rush yesterday behind an O-line that has a ton of work ahead of it. He also had 43 yards receiving and a TD. Snell would not have scored that TD. Harris also had an awesome stiff-arm on Jonathan Abrams, who is one of the more physical safeties in the league.

I don't think Harris can make his own way regardless of the O-line, that's a very high expectation. There's one RB I've seen who could do that and Barry Sanders is long since retired. Hell, Emmitt Smith usually wasn't touched for 5 - 8 yards on his rushes. It's hard to see the value when 100 yard games aren't coming in. But given where this team is, he's making more of his attempts than the backs they've had for a while. Last season, the Steelers averaged 3.6 yards/carry and I would say that O-line is better than the O-line we've seen the past 2 games. The gamble for the Steelers here is that this young O-line will start to gel and only get better.

MOP and I have gone back and forth on the strategy of how this team could get better (prior to, during, and after the draft), which I think we both agree they needed a better running game to get there. For the 2021 draft, there were 3 approaches to doing this: 1) If the best RB is available in round 1, take him; 2) Take the best possible O-lineman; 3) Trade back and take extra players in the middle rounds (3-5).  I thought option 1 was best because the drop-off between the backs in round 1 and the rest of the draft was far greater than the drop off in O-linemen in round 1 and rounds 3 and 4. MOP (don't let me misspeak here) thought option 3 with FA signings would be best (I think he's saying stock up cap space to make big FA signings in 2022 for a push then).

As with last year, I'm more frustrated with the output of the players and not so much who is on the team or what plays are called. At the end of the day, I'm a firm believer the outcome of a game falls more on the players than anything else. Yes, I acknowledge coaching is huge and getting a team prepared to play is a big factor, as is who the front office brings onto the team. But every game brings an opportunity and usually the difference between winning and losing is what happens with the players between whistles. Last year everyone wanted Fitchner canned. Hell, I admitted he could have deserved it, but I really couldn't tell if his game plans stunk because the players were failing so poorly later in the season that I couldn't tell if the game plan was worth a damn: dropped balls, poor routes, inaccurate QB, etc (hard to game plan around shitty play).

Having been frustrated with the poor offensive play in the 1st two games this season, I'm optimistic the Steelers will improve. That O-line will only get better as they continue to play together and I believe in coach Klemm's ability to coach young linemen to perform (but don't expect miracles of overnight success). One thing that will help this line is to get Zach Banner back in. Chuks spent too much time picking himself up after plays. Banner is just a monster ... he made Turner look little when he was helping to contain his teammate on the sideline.

I'll admit 2 things.1) Comparing Harris to Snell is not a good comparison but I didn't want to use Conner because he's gone. 2) My complaint against Harris is premature. I should wait until the 2nd quarter of next game Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 1378315869. Seriously after the season I may have to give my opinion. What I'm getting at with him is all the so called gurus said that we got the best back in the draft. We'll not see Entiene this year. If they are right I think this was an off year for RBs. My sites obviously are a little high.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 12:41 pm

The Oline needed addressed in FA and draft. Shitty Oline causes a cascade effect across the board. Ben getting knocked around and sacked, ANY RB beside the afformentioned Mr. SANDERS is gonna look like shit.

The Oline was the glaring problem last year and they did little to address it and hoped that Chuks, Banner, Dotson, and a 3rd and 4th round pick would be able to contend. That was one hell of a crap shoot and now it shows.

Throw in Ben's lack of mobility and accuracy issues and we have the mess that is now showing up.

The 3rd and 4th round choices should have been round 1 and 2 choices.

A great RB behind a shitty Oline isn't going to do much. Some of us said it the day they drafted Harris... yesterdays 39 rush yards is proof of that combination.

Chuks is getting destroyed, Green is just that... Green, and the rest were getting manhandled yesterday. It's going to be hard to watch but the Steelers are going to get exactly what they deserve for not reinvesting in the Oline and hoping the patchwork job they did would pan out.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 12:52 pm

@solardave wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:

I'll admit 2 things.1) Comparing Harris to Snell is not a good comparison but I didn't want to use Conner because he's gone. 2) My complaint against Harris is premature. I should wait until the 2nd quarter of next game Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 1378315869. Seriously after the season I may have to give my opinion. What I'm getting at with him is all the so called gurus said that we got the best back in the draft. We'll not see Entiene this year. If they are right I think this was an off year for RBs. My sites obviously are a little high.

You should set your sites high for Harris, because he not only was the best RB in this draft, he's a phenomenal athlete in any draft class. He's much better than Etienne, who is a smaller back. He's 5'10" 215 lbs and has 4.4 speed. Najee is 6' 2" 230 lbs and has 4.45 speed. But Najee is twice the athlete, in my opinion. So set your sites high on Najee, but manage your expectations early on. I heard a report on SNR that Emmitt Smith went 2 rushes for 2 yards in his first game; Walter Payton was 8 rushes for 0 yards, Franco Harris was something along the lines of 10 rushes for 22 yards.

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 2:15 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@solardave wrote:

You should set your sites high for Harris, because he not only was the best RB in this draft, he's a phenomenal athlete in any draft class. He's much better than Etienne, who is a smaller back. He's 5'10" 215 lbs and has 4.4 speed. Najee is 6' 2" 230 lbs and has 4.45 speed. But Najee is twice the athlete, in my opinion. So set your sites high on Najee, but manage your expectations early on. I heard a report on SNR that Emmitt Smith went 2 rushes for 2 yards in his first game; Walter Payton was 8 rushes for 0 yards, Franco Harris was something along the lines of 10 rushes for 22 yards.

Your post got me to thinking of Franco's rookie season stats. I looked up his exact game stats for 1972. His first game he had 10 carries for 28 yds. 2nd game 13 carries for 35 yds. 3rd game he had no carries and 1 reception. 4th game 3 carries 16 yds. 5th game was his first 100 yd game but he followed that game with 11 carries for 27 yds.

Just for comparison, in Franco's first 2 games he had 63 yds on 23 carries. Najee has 83 yds on 26 carries.

Franco's 1972 game stats are here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrFr00/gamelog/1972/

I agree with setting high sites for Najee Harris. He is getting acclimated to the NFL and he also is running behind a young line and opposing defenses seem to be playing to stop the run.

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 2:37 pm

To expand on this a little farther. LeVeon Bell's first 2 games he had 91 yds on 32 carries. For his rookie year he had 3.5 yds per carry, and only one 100 yard game. His game stats here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BellLe00/gamelog/2013/

So at 2 game rookie season Franco had 63 yds on 23 carries. Bell had 91 yds on 32 carries. Najee has 83 yds on 26 carries.

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 3:07 pm

Najee Harris was absolutely the best pick we could make in the first round of the draft. We will pay dividends for years to come - probably even at some point this year ,but certainly in the future.

For comparison...
he was the #1 Best running back in college football. Etienne was a distance 2nd.

By the time the Steelers drafted, 5 offensive linemen had already come off the board.

Take the 6th best lineman, or the Best running back?

Round 2, Freiermuth was the 2nd best tight end in the draft. Absolutely terrific pick-up that - again, will pay dividends for years to come in the long term.

The O-line needs to get better, and the position needs to be addressed. Perhaps picking the 6th best lineman would have helped - but there's no guarantee we'd have gotten a back anywhere near as good as Najee Harris next year or in following years.

Final comment: I don't believe we have seen Matt Canada's offense in full bloom.

WHY NOT?

All the motions, misdirections, sweep/dive/pass options that we thought we were getting - not seeing it. I feel like Matt is being handcuffed from truly implementing his offense.

Why?

I'd love to know - but we need that offense and we need it now. That's the only way we are going to be able to offset deficiencies in our O-line, and utilize the team's true potential (how many thought we'd see Rae Rae run a sweep, even a decoy sweep, by now?)
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 4:48 pm

Chiefs C Creed Humphrey named to PFF preseason All-Rookie team

Quote :
Even without the numbers from PFF, it’s hard not to come away impressed with Humphrey’s preseason performance. He didn’t allow a single sack during the preseason, let alone a single pressure. There were no snapping problems between him and Patrick Mahomes, despite being one of the only left-handed snappers in NFL history. Also, Humphrey’s athleticism was on display numerous times, getting out in space and making key blocks.

pick # 63

josh meyers
Quote :
Myers played all 57 snaps at center. According to Pro Football Focus, the rookie allowed just one pressure over 41 pass-blocking snaps.

Overall, Myers earned the fifth-highest grade among all NFL centers in Week 1.
pick # 62

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 7:08 pm

Chiefs C Creed Humphrey named to PFF preseason All-Rookie team

Quote :
Even without the numbers from PFF, it’s hard not to come away impressed with Humphrey’s preseason performance. He didn’t allow a single sack during the preseason, let alone a single pressure. There were no snapping problems between him and Patrick Mahomes, despite being one of the only left-handed snappers in NFL history. Also, Humphrey’s athleticism was on display numerous times, getting out in space and making key blocks.

pick # 63

josh meyers
Quote :
Myers played all 57 snaps at center. According to Pro Football Focus, the rookie allowed just one pressure over 41 pass-blocking snaps.

Overall, Meyers earned the fifth-highest grade among all NFL centers in Week 1.
pick # 62

I liked Myers over Humphrey ... they were both good though. But I like Harris, Freiermuth, and Green better.  Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 131212936

Not saying Humphrey isn't good, but does any Chiefs linemen ever get credit for a sack or pressure when Mahomes is taking the snaps Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm

There is a video today at Post Gazette from after the game yesterday. They said on there that 17 of the 40 passes yesterday were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Isn't that just going to draw opposing defenses close to the line? With that sort of strategy we probably aren't going to get a lot out of a running game, and it probably doesn't matter much for the present whether we drafted Najee or OL.

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 9:08 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
There is a video today at Post Gazette from after the game yesterday. They said on there that 17 of the 40 passes yesterday were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Isn't that just going to draw opposing defenses close to the line? With that sort of strategy we probably aren't going to get a lot out of a running game, and it probably doesn't matter much for the present whether we drafted Najee or OL.
when your oline cant be trusted to hold a block for more than .5 seconds, throwing the ball short is a better option than taking a sack. that dink and dunk fichtner offense last year was a necessity not choice. looks like it is going to be more of the same this year. we wont see anything radically different until #7 is gone. i have a feeling that by bye week the holdout ben supporters will finally admit last year was the time for him to hang it up. i got a feeling he ends the season on IR. 40 year olds just dont absorb those hits so well.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Here's that 1st round draft pick ....

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2021 5:01 pm

That was SWEET.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2021 5:27 pm

Noone is disrespecting Harris... some are saying as good as he is... IT WONT MEAN SHIT BECAUSE THE OLINE CANT BLOCK OR OPEN HOLES FOR HIM...

39 TOTAL rush yards against the Raiders. That's a big problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raiders @ Steelers   Raiders @ Steelers - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Raiders @ Steelers
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: