Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeDid Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake? Empty
PostSubject: Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake?   Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake? EmptyWed Sep 29, 2021 9:06 pm

personally i think they should have let him go in 2019. Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake? 1401235891

Quote :
It’s one thing to opine in March that the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger will both regret giving it one more go. It’s another thing for the facts to begin to bear that out in September.
Ed Bouchette of TheAthletic.com pieces together some facts from the first three games of 2021. Those facts suggest that Roethlisberger and the Steelers probably should have parted ways.

Bouchette raises the question of whether Ben Roethlisberger will become the new Y.A. Tittle. Pointing to the iconic photo of a broken and bloodied 38-year-old quarterback, Bouchette explains that it was taken in Pittsburgh after the Giants lost to the Steelers in September 1964, falling to 0-2. Tittle, who had taken the Giants to the NFL title game a year earlier, clearly should have called it quits then, and not after a 2-10-2 season during which he was benched for a rookie named Gary Wood.

Although it’s still early, the signs are nearly as troubling for Roethlisberger now as they were for Tittle in early ’64. Bouchette writes that Roethlisberger has taken 17 hits in the last two games. He’s absorbed eight sacks in three weeks, after having only 13 in all of the 2020 season.

“It’s gotten so bad that it appears Roethlisberger is looking for the rush as soon as the ball is snapped, something he has rarely done,” Bouchette explains.

Bouchette also points out — accurately — that the dramatically rebuilt offensive line is the problem, that no quarterback could thrive with limited time to set up and throw.

Barring dramatic improvement (which may require relying on the defense and making Big Ben a game manager), Roethlisberger may not make it to Week 18. It’s becoming easier and easier to envision not a benching but the placement of Roethlisberger on injured reserve, a designation from which he’d never return. Even if he’s technically healthy enough to play, there’s a point at which he shouldn’t want to continue to put himself at physical risk. The moment it appears likely that the Steelers have no practical shot at the playoffs, that’s when both sides need to move on, for the good of the player and the good of the team.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake?   Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 6:10 am

At this point I can't vsay whether the problem is or isn't Ben. Like he said no QB can be expected to flourish when he has 1 or 2 seconds to get rid of the ball.
When I saw that Moore and Green were going to be starting my first thoughts were either they are pretty good or we're desperate. Definitely desperation.
The FO has been pretty good at restocking but in hindsight this year or last year really should have been the beginning of a rebuild. It is anyway just not a planned one.
I don't follow college football so I don't know what Oline talent is there. I do know it looks to me like we'll have a shot at a QB and hopefully a couple good lineman.
We also will need help in the secondary so what now?
I could be wrong but I don't think the smell is going to clear up after this season. I hope I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake?   Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 6:36 am

@solardave wrote:
At this point I can't vsay whether the problem is or isn't Ben. Like he said no QB can be expected to flourish when he has 1 or 2 seconds to get rid of the ball.
When I saw that Moore and Green were going to be starting my first thoughts were either they are pretty good or we're desperate. Definitely desperation.
The FO has been pretty good at restocking but in hindsight this year or last year really should have been the beginning of a rebuild. It is anyway just not a planned one.
I don't follow college football so I don't know what Oline talent is there. I do know it looks to me like we'll have a shot at a QB and hopefully a couple good lineman.
I could be wrong but I don't think the smell is going to clear up after this season. I hope I'm wrong.
no he isnt the sole problem. but why they thought extending his time and letting him eat up 2022 cap money was a good idea was just foolishness. thats the point of the article. this team coulda sucked just fine without him adding to it.. that 10 million they wont be able to use next year sure woulda went a long way towards future success.
i still think we will get to see rudolf this season to see if that browns game was a fluke. maybe even get a peak at haskins if rudolf screws the pooch. no way ben starts 17 games. he will either be on IR or benched as soon as they are mathematically eliminated.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake?   Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 8:12 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@solardave wrote:
no he isnt the sole problem. but why they thought extending his time and letting him eat up 2022 cap money was a good idea was just foolishness. thats the point of the article. this team coulda sucked just fine without him adding to it.. that 10 million they wont be able to use next year sure woulda went a long way towards future success.
i still think we will get to see rudolf this season to see if that browns game was a fluke. maybe even get a peak at haskins if rudolf screws the pooch. no way ben starts 17 games. he will either be on IR or benched as soon as they are mathematically eliminated.

Not to mention at 39 his next injury with this horrendous line is not an if but a when and could very well end his career. The way we've played the last 2 weeks leads me to believe Tomlin will wait until there is no chance of a postseason before he pulls the plug. I also think this line right now would get Rudolph the statue hurt too. If they are to continue with Canada's offense and why wouldn't they being his first year I think Dobbs would be the best fit. I mean if they've already screwed the pooch why not let Dobbs have at it? How many practice squad players do you see (last week and the week before he WAS on the sideline) offering advice to your starter?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake?   Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers make a mistake?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: