Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMissed Tackles Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Missed Tackles

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Missed Tackles Empty
PostSubject: Missed Tackles   Missed Tackles EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 2:15 pm

It's a major issue here is a pretty solid breakdown of what is a glaring issue for the team...

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/12/missed-tackles-report-steelers-vs-bengals-6/

Master_Of_Puppets and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Missed Tackles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Tackles   Missed Tackles EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 4:01 pm

Sounds like hitting will be ramped up in practice this week. Here's a clip from Moats talking through padded practices.

Master_Of_Puppets, solardave and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Missed Tackles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Tackles   Missed Tackles EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 3:11 am

When you have an anemic offense watching guys wiff on D week in and week out it really sucks. This past game was the second one this season I quit watching and I've never done that in Ben's time as QB.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Missed Tackles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Tackles   Missed Tackles EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 9:31 am

Taking a closer look at the article, through 11 games the Steelers were credited with 117 missed tackles (10 per game). Their opponents were credited with 133 missed tackles (13 per game) against the Steelers ball carriers. Maybe the Steelers aren't missing more than normal and we're sensitive to every missed tackle because our team isn't winning enough? Or there's an issue across the entire league.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Missed Tackles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Tackles   Missed Tackles EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 11:28 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
Taking a closer look at the article, through 11 games the Steelers were credited with 117 missed tackles (10 per game). Their opponents were credited with 133 missed tackles (13 per game) against the Steelers ball carriers. Maybe the Steelers aren't missing more than normal and we're sensitive to every missed tackle because our team isn't winning enough? Or there's an issue across the entire league.

That's a good observation. I might add with the new NFLPA rules that they can only have so many padded and contact drills per season that might play an impact. My other thought or question is are defenders now more timid to make contact because they have changed so many of the rules. You put your head down and make helmet to helmet contact it's a 15 yard penalty and possible ejection for what used to be just a great tackle.

Got to wonder if all the rules against defenses now that players might be over thinking it. Even if it's a half second in thought processing it can effect the outcome of a tackle. Am I in the right position, do I have my shoulder leading, is my head up, is my shoulder going to make first contact, is the other players head going down, etc etc etc... all things players on Defense have to take into account BEFORE they even make a tackle.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Missed Tackles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Tackles   Missed Tackles EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 3:17 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

That's a good observation. I might add with the new NFLPA rules that they can only have so many padded and contact drills per season that might play an impact. My other thought or question is are defenders now more timid to make contact because they have changed so many of the rules. You put your head down and make helmet to helmet contact it's a 15 yard penalty and possible ejection for what used to be just a great tackle.

Got to wonder if all the rules against defenses now that players might be over thinking it. Even if it's a half second in thought processing it can effect the outcome of a tackle. Am I in the right position, do I have my shoulder leading, is my head up, is my shoulder going to make first contact, is the other players head going down, etc etc etc... all things players on Defense have to take into account BEFORE they even make a tackle.

In my opinion, I don't believe there are too many missed tackles because of the fear for causing a rule violation. Most of what I've seen are poor angles (which play into a lot of the missed tackles by our Safeties) and the old crushing shoulder hit without wrapping up. You can fix the bad angles without contact practices, but you have to put in the practice time. Fixing the not hitting without wrapping up requires some type of contact, even if it's on a tackle dummy. I want to say several NFL teams have those large tackle dummies that are remote controled and force the player to take the correct angles, hit, and wrap. This can be done without contacting another player, but I'm not sure if this counts as "contact". Missed Tackles 2829330259
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Missed Tackles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Tackles   Missed Tackles Empty

Back to top Go down

Missed Tackles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: