Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBig Ben calling it quits Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Big Ben calling it quits

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Great Randino

Big Ben calling it quits Empty
PostSubject: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySat Dec 04, 2021 6:09 pm

It has leaked out that he's already told people he won't be in Pittsburgh next year. I guess its not clear that he would retire, or find another team, but I can't imagine him playing for another team. Gotta think he will retire.

The fact he's talking about it might be an indication he's already checked out this season, but that's just speculation on my part.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySat Dec 04, 2021 8:42 pm

i cant image another team would want him .. Big Ben calling it quits 2087824411
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySat Dec 04, 2021 9:40 pm

He's certainly not worth the $20+ million we're paying him this year.

Is he going to take the league minimum to play for someone next year? Doubtful.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 2:19 am

I think he retires after this season.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 2:40 am

Should have called it quits 3 years ago. Definitely after the elbow injury. He is not helping this team in any way shape or form and has set them back a few years in the future with cap issues.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 3:32 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Should have called it quits 3 years ago. Definitely after the elbow injury. He is not helping this team in any way shape or form and has set them back a few years in the future with cap issues.

Can't disagree with you there. Jimmy G. next year as a stop gap.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 4:09 am

@solardave wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

so what are you willing to pay for him ? the 9'ers are going to look to get something out of him most likely. i'm sure there are other teams that will also like to have his services and they would be foolish to not try to capitalize on it. teams may wait for them to cut him, but i think someone might be willing to throw a pick at em to avoid the free agency bidding war.
he is under contact for 2022 at 25.6 million. would it be worth it to give up a draft pick , sacrifice cap space that could be used on a longer term FA at another position of need , just to have him for 1 year which likely still is not going to make them competitive ?  
the other option would be give him a longer term contract and be stuck with him. i sure wouldnt like it.  theres a reason why the 9'ers  drafted a qb in the 1st despite having him on the roster. Big Ben calling it quits 2981382511
my guestimation is we have 2 years minimum of suck coming at us regardless of who is under center. my logic is sacrificing a lot of cap space for the QB position right now would be counter productive to the rebuild effort.

solardave and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 6:43 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

so what are you willing to pay for him ? the 9'ers are going to look to get something out of him most likely. i'm sure there are other teams that will also like to have his services and they would be foolish to not try to capitalize on it. teams may wait for them to cut him, but i think someone might be willing to throw a pick at em to avoid the free agency bidding war.
he is under contact for 2022 at 25.6 million. would it be worth it to give up a draft pick , sacrifice cap space that could be used on a longer term FA at another position of need , just to have him for 1 year which likely still is not going to make them competitive ?  
the other option would be give him a longer term contract and be stuck with him. i sure wouldnt like it.  theres a reason why the 9'ers  drafted a qb in the 1st despite having him on the roster. Big Ben calling it quits 2981382511
my guestimation is we have 2 years minimum of suck coming at us regardless of who is under center. my logic is sacrificing a lot of cap space for the QB position right now would be counter productive to the rebuild effort.
You're right I threw it out there and it didn't stick. I didn't bother to check his contract situation. I think we have more than 2 years of suck coming whether we stick with the other 2 QBs or not. Rudolph is a statue and unless the Oline transforms into a brick wall he isn't the answer IMO. Haskins is a head case and probably won't grow up in time to save his career.
Right now we have so many holes on both sides of the ball we look like the Titanic after the iceberg incident.
Big Ben calling it quits 2087824411

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 am

I honestly think we need to sell our # 1 pick this next year for extra 1st 2nd or 3rd round picks to anyone willing to that wants to move up the draft board.

We have a ton of holes that need filling and I just don't see a real clear path for them without some stellar hits in the top 3 round picks.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 11:26 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I honestly think we need to sell our # 1 pick this next year for extra 1st 2nd or 3rd round picks to anyone willing to that wants to move up the draft board.

We have a ton of holes that need filling and I just don't see a real clear path for them without some stellar hits in the top 3 round picks.
Most of the time I'm not in favor of giving up the 1st round pick.  However, the Minkah deal was good for us.

In this case, this draft, it would depend on several things:

what level of suck are we going to see the rest of this year?  If we were to lose the rest of our games, our pick would be a lot higher and we could be in position to draft a true superstar (as opposed to the next Bush).  Could pick up a true game changer.

Who is available at that pick?  It could be an on-the-clock decision

What can we get for the pick?  2 #1's for instance...

In short, all options on the table.  I wouldn't be opposed if the deal was worth it and the situation was right.  Probably be a draft-time decision.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 4:37 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

You're right I threw it out there and it didn't stick. I didn't bother to check his contract situation. I think we have more than 2 years of suck coming whether we stick with the other 2 QBs or not. Rudolph is a statue and unless the Oline transforms into a brick wall he isn't the answer IMO. Haskins is a head case and probably won't grow up in time to save his career.
Right now we have so many holes on both sides of the ball we look like the Titanic after the iceberg incident.
Big Ben calling it quits 2087824411

if we didnt have multiple  problems on BOTH sides of the ball , i wouldnt be as opposed to someone like jimmy G or bridgewater for a bridge QB.
i believe they could potentially improve one side of the ball...probably not completely fix but make one side a lot better if they dedicated the draft and free agency to fixing just one side this off season, and then  do the same in 2023 for the other side.
in my opinion if you have multiple problems it is better to fix/focus on one problem instead of using up all the resources to partially fix 2.
 if you needed front brake pads ,rotors, spark plugs and plug wires for your car but only had the money to buy 2 of the 4 , you wouldnt buy the pads and plugs. im using that analogy because my old GTP needs all those things .. Big Ben calling it quits 1797695198
the real dilemma is do you take a risk on the chance that the younger players drastically improve their play next year ? particularly the oline guys and the secondary. kevin dotson looks to have taken a step backwards in his 2nd season. its debatable how much that had to do with the play of the rookies on either side of him. me personally, i wouldnt roll those dice.  No a big investment is still needed there. if those guys develop , great...now we have quality depth.
so the passing game sucks. the running game sucks , the defense run sucks, the defensive pass sucks...what would you try to fix first ? oline ? D front 7 ? secondary ?
both sides of the trenches can mask some problems in the passing game with a good run game or a good pass rush..  so i would start there. a great defense can overcome a shitty offense.
with that said i would focus on the front 7.  Big Ben calling it quits 469886443
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben calling it quits   Big Ben calling it quits Empty

Back to top Go down

Big Ben calling it quits
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: